What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Chark, LAC (3 Viewers)

I'm benching him in the semis next week, so you can be certain he'll go off for 20 non-PPR fantasy points.  Plan accordingly.

With Minshew named the starter in week 15, are things looking up for Chark in the semis? 
I wouldn't think so. Chark almost openly advocated for him to be benched earlier this year and didn't really give incredible effort on hospital balls thrown his way by Minshew. Chark has been a bit of performance diva this year, not really what people wanted to see from him. 

Chark should pop off today with Peters and Smith out. Quite possibly his best game of season..
Man, really debating this... It's him or Gage for me in a standard. rockaction's post above yours is intriguing, though. Plus, I saw someone saying that Chark may be playing hurt. A rib injury a while back. I'll probably go Gage and hope your hunch is off.

D.J. Chark caught 4-of-7 targets for 62 yards and one touchdown in the Jaguars' Week 16 loss to the Bears.

Chark and Laviska Shenault tied for the team lead in targets, and Chark paced the team in yards while Shenault caught one more pass and both players scored touchdowns. Chark's touchdown was his first since Week 9, and the yards were his most since that same contest. Chark will be a boom-bust WR4/5 for Week 17 against the Colts. He went 3-25-1 against the Colts way back in Week 1.

- Rotoworld

Chark got hurt towards then end and I'm not sure he came back. Looked like he got tackled low and hard and it might be a knee or something. Check the injury report. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 17 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: A.J. Dillon flashes incredible upside

Excerpt:

RISERS: WRS D.J. CHARK AND LAVISKA SHENAULT JR., JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

For Jaguars fans, the implications of the 2020 season should be finally sinking in. Jacksonville lost to the Chicago Bears last week. Coupled with a Jets win over the Browns, they have officially won the Trevor Lawrence lottery. Because of that, the main receivers involved (Chark and Shenault) should start being viewed as the weapons for a quarterback at the skill level of Joe Burrow at a minimum. 

Lawrence went from topc25 in yards per attempt (min. 150 dropbacks) as a freshman to top 15 as a sophomore to top 10 this season. He has two seasons with a passing grade above 90.0. Lawrence is going to present a seismic turnaround for the Jaguars' offense. The main beneficiaries of that will be Chark and Shenault. 

Keelan Cole’s counting stats this year show a player who could compete with his teammates for targets. All three players are grouped between 52 and 53 receptions. However, Cole’s stats are simply the product of him being the only healthy receiver for Jacksonville at times.

Name                                   Total Routes Run      Yards per Route Run      Targets per Route Run

Keelan Cole                                  565                                 1.12                                  0.14

D.J. Chark Jr.                                497                                1.42                                   0.19

Laviska Shenault Jr.                    372                                1.49                                   0.19

On a per-route basis, Shenault and Chark have shown an ability to draw targets and create yards at a level that Cole simply hasn’t. Cole isn’t under contract for 2021, but with second-round capital invested in both of the team's top receivers, it’s likely that the Jaguars bring him back or insert a similarly middling player into his role. 

With the top receivers on a team about to do a 180, there is value to be had in buying low on Jacksonville before it drafts Lawrence and then again before he takes the field for them.

D.J. CHARK WR, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

ESPN's Michael DiRocco reports the Jaguars will be "active" in pursuing free agent wide receivers. 

With Keelan Cole, Dede Westbrook, and Chris Conley likely gone in 2021, Urban Meyer's team could bolster its receiver group in free agency. While it's unclear if the Jaguars -- who have the most cap space of any NFL team this offseason -- are in the market for a top-tier wideout, it would be an upset if the team didn't add a receiver or two in the coming months. Depending on who they add, DJ Chark and Laviska Shenault should be decent value picks in best ball drafts this spring and summer. 

RELATED: 

Laviska Shenault

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 2, 2021, 10:08 AM ET

I don't know how we feel about rumors here but saw something that was at least worth a push notification on my phone that stated the Ravens & Jags are close to a deal that would send DJ Chark to the Ravens for LT Orlando Brown and picks.

D.J. Chark has gained 10 pounds this offseason to push his playing weight to 210. 

It was apparently at the behest of new coach Urban Meyer, who has "stressed the importance of sports performance at length since he arrived." Chark told NFL Network's James Palmer his "times have actually gotten faster." The Jaguars added Marvin Jones and Phillip Dorsett in free agency, both of whom could compete for targets with Chark on the outside. Chark was none too pleased with the 1-15 2020 Jaguars' quarterback situation, but he still managed a decent 53/706/5 slash in 13 games after reaching 1,000 yards in 2019. 6-foot-4 Chark could be a scary sight at 210 pounds burning down the sideline. 

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter 

Apr 29, 2021, 6:14 PM ET

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer described D.J. Chark's 2020 film as a "big guy that played little." 

"I just didn't like his size," Meyer began. "His strength, I just thought, was way below average, way below what we expect from our receivers, and he was told that. He's a big guy that played little last year, and that can't happen. ... He's got to play big and strong." Chark responded by immediately gaining seven pounds of muscle. "I love the challenge," Chark said. "I love talking to Coach Meyer. He's a competitor. He's going to push me." Chark took Meyer's criticism the right way, but that is not always going to be a given at this level. Meyer has to find the right balance between the way he did things in college and the way you have to do them in the pros. If you land on the wrong side of it, you lose the locker room in a hurry. Chark is currently being drafted as a mid-range WR3 after finishing as the WR20 by average half PPR points in 2019. There is major bounce-back potential here. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 3, 2021, 6:53 PM ET

Yeah, that's not good. Who knows if it's coachspeak, but Meyer sure throws guys under the bus in public. That's not a good look, nor does it foretell good things with Chark. Who knows with Meyer? Head games.

Yeah, that's not good. Who knows if it's coachspeak, but Meyer sure throws guys under the bus in public. That's not a good look, nor does it foretell good things with Chark. Who knows with Meyer? Head games.
Yeah I'm not big into buying coach speak this time of year, but when they basically say we don't like this guy, it's hard to ignore.

Did you guys read the whole blurb? How about the one above it from 04/29? While we can debate everything Urban Meyer all day long, for the purposes of Chark, Meyer's approach WORKED. He's bigger, stronger and faster, and his quotes indicate he's the kind of player that responds well to whatever buttons Meyer is pushing with him. There are reasons to be down on Chark, mostly out of his control (as in, you have to be + about Lawrence to be + on Chark), but in terms of giving Meyer what he's demanded of him, and sounding positive about both the means and the end, there's nothing there that raises a flag, IMHO.

Did you guys read the whole blurb? How about the one above it from 04/29? While we can debate everything Urban Meyer all day long, for the purposes of Chark, Meyer's approach WORKED. He's bigger, stronger and faster, and his quotes indicate he's the kind of player that responds well to whatever buttons Meyer is pushing with him. There are reasons to be down on Chark, mostly out of his control (as in, you have to be + about Lawrence to be + on Chark), but in terms of giving Meyer what he's demanded of him, and sounding positive about both the means and the end, there's nothing there that raises a flag, IMHO.
I hope you're right. Bunch of "my guys" getting terrible press lately.

I hope you're right. Bunch of "my guys" getting terrible press lately.
I think nittanylion was spot on with everything he said.  I'm just parroting him but no other way to say then it's working, Chark bought in put in the work and appears no ill feelings.

Jury will for sure remain out on Urban but so far he's still in the honeymoon phase and all I hear is positive stuff about him coming from the players, specifically on the increased efforts to bring sports science to the team in hopes of improving speed and strength. Even James Robinson had positive things to say.

Seems like more of Urban doing Urban things. "You don't look like one of my guys, so why don't you add weight from what you've typically played at to look more like one of my guys?" Maybe it works for Chark this season, but I consider this news more negative than positive. 

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it kind of sounds like Chip Kelly with the Eagles, i.e. a lot of "fitting guys into the system" rather than "fitting the system to the talented players."

ETA- OTOH, if Meyer is that focused on WR strength, I see good things in Laviska Shenault's future. 

nittanylion said:
Agree with this...we are in a far different (dare I say softer) world these days...an NFL Coach talks about how he wanted one of his players to improve (which it appears he did) and the sky is falling for some people...every player gets motivated differently and good coaches understand it is not one-size-fits-all when it comes to motivation/criticism.

I have been getting him in most of my redrafts in the 6th and 7th. It seems criminal and I am hoping it is similar to what Diggs drafters experienced last year. 

So it looks like Shenault is outshining him in OTAs. D.J. has now been outshined, had criticism leveled at him by his new coach, and had a poor showing last year, fantasy-wise. He's also on the last year of his deal and who knows who will covet him enough to bestow a contract that guarantees stability for him. Is this the sell-high moment?

I can't quit him, so "no," is my answer.

So it looks like Shenault is outshining him in OTAs. D.J. has now been outshined, had criticism leveled at him by his new coach, and had a poor showing last year, fantasy-wise. He's also on the last year of his deal and who knows who will covet him enough to bestow a contract that guarantees stability for him. Is this the sell-high moment?

“Sell high” isn’t what anyone is paying for him. I doubt anyone will give a future 1st. So what, you get a future 2nd probably? No thanks, I’ll take my chances he rehabs his value in the next 2 years, either via qb upgrade this year or new home next year. Shenault looks good so far, that’s great, maybe it opens up some single coverage down the field. No one else is going to supplant Chark, he and laviska should be the starters. More concerned Meyer is a huge flop than Chark being called out by him. More of a “buy low” option than a “sell high.” 

Heck, a couple weeks ago you probably could have bought shenault for a 2nd because “Etienne is taking reps at wr, there goes shenaults role!” So if you’re one to leverage off-season hype because of a blurb, shenault is the sell high option because everyone reads the blurb and his stock goes soaring. 

“Sell high” isn’t what anyone is paying for him. I doubt anyone will give a future 1st. So what, you get a future 2nd probably? No thanks, I’ll take my chances he rehabs his value in the next 2 years, either via qb upgrade this year or new home next year. Shenault looks good so far, that’s great, maybe it opens up some single coverage down the field. No one else is going to supplant Chark, he and laviska should be the starters. More concerned Meyer is a huge flop than Chark being called out by him. More of a “buy low” option than a “sell high.” 

Heck, a couple weeks ago you probably could have bought shenault for a 2nd because “Etienne is taking reps at wr, there goes shenaults role!” So if you’re one to leverage off-season hype because of a blurb, shenault is the sell high option because everyone reads the blurb and his stock goes soaring. 
This is all smokingly true. Great points. I meant "sell while you can get something for him" not "sell high." To sell high you'd need a lot of groundswell from either a few great performances or from ultra positivity and sweeping off-season changes, none of which are the current condition.

Good points about the blurbs. We should all remember that. My reaction was more thinking out loud then actively doing it. I don't think you could bet enough for Chark right now to compensate appropriately for him, so that's why I said the answer was "no." But you still make great points despite my misstep in communication.

This is all smokingly true. Great points. I meant "sell while you can get something for him" not "sell high." To sell high you'd need a lot of groundswell from either a few great performances or from ultra positivity and sweeping off-season changes, none of which are the current condition.

Good points about the blurbs. We should all remember that. My reaction was more thinking out loud then actively doing it. I don't think you could bet enough for Chark right now to compensate appropriately for him, so that's why I said the answer was "no." But you still make great points despite my misstep in communication.
I just made a thread about off-season information.

I agree with your no answer, but not because it's too difficult to get appropriate compensation. Chark had a breakout season in 2019 with poor to average QB play and then a disappointing fantasy season in 2020 with bottom of NFL level QB play.

He played 13 games with these QBs: Minshew (8), Glennon (4), and Luton (2). (Minshew and Glennon both played in game 14.) Per PlayerProfiler:

• Chark had 544 completed air yards (#34 in NFL) but 756 "unrealized air yards " (#9)
  • Chark's catchable target rate was 70.2% (#91) and his target accuracy was 6.54 (#98)

These metrics help to explain the high number of unrealized air yards

[*]Meanwhile, he was #14 in average target distance, #5 in deep targets, and #31 in red zone targets

IMO this information shows that his QB play last season really hurt his fantasy production, but he had huge opportunity even though he only played 13 games.

He turns 25 in September and is in a contract year with an opportunity to earn a huge second contract. I expect Meyer and Lawrence will have a considerable positive effect on the quality of his targets. Put it all together, and I think he is undervalued right now.

I agree with your no answer, but not because it's too difficult to get appropriate compensation. Chark had a breakout season in 2019 with poor to average QB play and then a disappointing fantasy season in 2020 with bottom of NFL level QB play.

He played 13 games with these QBs: Minshew (8), Glennon (4), and Luton (2). (Minshew and Glennon both played in game 14.) Per PlayerProfiler:

• Chark had 544 completed air yards (#34 in NFL) but 756 "unrealized air yards " (#9)
  • Chark's catchable target rate was 70.2% (#91) and his target accuracy was 6.54 (#98)

These metrics help to explain the high number of unrealized air yards

[*]Meanwhile, he was #14 in average target distance, #5 in deep targets, and #31 in red zone targets

IMO this information shows that his QB play last season really hurt his fantasy production, but he had huge opportunity even though he only played 13 games.

He turns 25 in September and is in a contract year with an opportunity to earn a huge second contract. I expect Meyer and Lawrence will have a considerable positive effect on the quality of his targets. Put it all together, and I think he is undervalued right now.
I'm actually familiar with the numbers behind the numbers and watched darn near every Jags game last year. Chark was definitely hurt by his QBs, especially Minshew's somewhat accurate but not very deep arm.

Here's a Player Profiler article about Chark and D.J. Moore. It's interesting, and it focuses on redraft, but it talks about value and drop-offs in value.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/red-corner-dj-chark-blue-corner-dj-moore/

I wonder if there is a sell high lesson to be learned here or if it was just the kind of bad luck that happens from time to time with prospects popping one year but not being able to keep it up over time.

I wonder if there is a sell high lesson to be learned here or if it was just the kind of bad luck that happens from time to time with prospects popping one year but not being able to keep it up over time.
All the reading I've done in the off-season seems to say that if they fit the athletic and metric profile and breakout, that they'll break out again at some point or stay broken out. I've really gotta start a bibliography of these articles so I can just produce them at a moment's notice. Guys that break out in their first two seasons tend to stay that way or at least re-visit once, if my reading is correct.

Further, why would you trade a guy with that sort of break out in his second year with that athletic profile. One of the only things missing out of college was a perfect BMI for the guy. I'm not sure how he does on the DLF eleven-point scale that guy (what's his name?) has set up (it's an interesting watch if you can find it) but he's certainly pretty close to at least eight or nine boxes ticked out of eleven.

All the reading I've done in the off-season seems to say that if they fit the athletic and metric profile and breakout, that they'll break out again at some point or stay broken out. I've really gotta start a bibliography of these articles so I can just produce them at a moment's notice. Guys that break out in their first two seasons tend to stay that way or at least re-visit once, if my reading is correct.

Further, why would you trade a guy with that sort of break out in his second year with that athletic profile. One of the only things missing out of college was a perfect BMI for the guy. I'm not sure how he does on the DLF eleven-point scale that guy (what's his name?) has set up (it's an interesting watch if you can find it) but he's certainly pretty close to at least eight or nine boxes ticked out of eleven.
I think his college dominator was really low which is a warning sign. My memory says he was generally considered a prospect miss because of that. I agree hard to part ways with an athletic freak who has a 1000 yard season but also I can imagine some people may have been offering a ton for what looked like a potential 23 year old top 5-10 dynasty WR a year ago. 

Also he very well may have a huge 2021. Maybe the tough talk from Urban motivates him or he proves himself to the staff and then he’s the possible top target for Lawrence.

I think his college dominator was really low which is a warning sign. My memory says he was generally considered a prospect miss because of that. I agree hard to part ways with an athletic freak who has a 1000 yard season but also I can imagine some people may have been offering a ton for what looked like a potential 23 year old top 5-10 dynasty WR a year ago. 
His dominator age was at 20 years old, which places him right there in the swing of things, though his overall dominator rating wasn't that great, as you point out. 37th percentile or something like that. I'm thinking of baselines, though. Maybe he doesn't check the 30% box for dominator rating for best year. But he checks the others, if I'm not mistaken.

His dominator age was at 20 years old, which places him right there in the swing of things, though his overall dominator rating wasn't that great, as you point out. 37th percentile or something like that. I'm thinking of baselines, though. Maybe he doesn't check the 30% box for dominator rating for best year. But he checks the others, if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah I think that’s why he wasn’t a very buzzed about prospect going into the draft. People saw this size speed freak and then saw how little he did in college and assumed he was a classic bust. A guy that physically dominant should be more dominant in college would be the argument against players like Chark. Obviously once you produce in the NFL, it changes the equation. 

Based on what?
Sorry. Guess I didn't read enough. His comments were a challenge and Chark apparently has answered them by what he has done over the summer. Anyway, new GM, new coaching staff. Hard to say what is in his future. Would probably benefit him if they re-sign him with Lawrence there rather than leave next year. 

I'm confident in him this season.

The only caveat is you need to be prepared for a slow start with him missing preseason. First month will probably be rough as he develops chemistry with T-Law.

Users who are viewing this thread