What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR George Pickens, PIT (1 Viewer)

Everyone hear is saying he's not a good route runner, and that's not his strength but I think it's overly simplistic to pin his drop in production on that.

All I've been reading and hearing, from Steelers players and some beat writers, is that he's the focus of the defense attention and is getting doubled and opening things up for others. That he's been mainly relegated to running on the boundary which also makes him easier to double. It's really a lot of the same issues as Calvin Ridley has been having and like I've said in the Ridley thread a few times, sometimes these things are out of the players control.

Pickett mentioned this and said there are things they can do to help him, like moving him around. Referred to him as a "sitting duck" the way he's been utilized.

So for to those who say his production is down because of his route running I'll tell you I don't agree with you and add he seemed to do fine when Diontae was out and they needed to use him instead of having the luxury of using him.

I'll also add it's easy to see why he's frustrated. I think most players in his position would be as well but without a doubt he's got to handle it better.
This may all be true but his actions tell me that he’s going to be a problem. Possibly going down the Antonio Brown route.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler believes Jaylen Warren and George Pickens will benefit from the Steelers’ switch to interim offensive play caller Mike Sullivan.

The Matt Canada reign of terror ended this week, and the Steelers named Sullivan the new play caller. “You don’t have to be a football savant to know Warren should average more than eight carries per game and Pickens should get more than seven targets per game,” Fowler said, adding Sullivan “knows how to target his top options.” Fowler pointed to Odell Beckham seeing 169 targets in Sullivan’s 2016 Giants offense. Warren, nominally the team’s starter, is still running behind Najee Harris for some reason. Perhaps that changes starting in Week 12 against the Bengals. With more intermediate targets, Pickens has a chance to become fantasy viable under Sullivan.

Steelers WR George Pickens (shin) did not practice on Wednesday.

There’s no word yet on how serious Pickens’ injury might be, but the second-year receiver has not topped 45 yards receiving since Week 8. He has been vocal about his criticism of the Steelers’ offensive gameplans, so he’ll want to start off on the right foot with Matt Canada no longer employed as his offensive coordinator. In order to do that, he needs to get back onto the practice field first.

Yup, dropped him a few days ago for a second defense through the playoffs. Was never going to start him anyways, too bad. Kid is hyper talented.

How does Tomlin let this kid play after all the nonsense he’s pulled? That’s the real question. Punish him or he’s not going to change. If he does not change then let go be PITA somewhere else.

AB got benched in week 17 in 2018. But Tomlin is the farthest thing from a disciplinarian. I’d be fine trading Pickens for anything they can get.

“The Steelers surprising decision to bench Antonio Brown on Sunday apparently had nothing to do with a knee injury that he was supposedly suffering from and everything to do with the fact that he got into a heated dispute with Ben Roethlisberger last week.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Brown's absence from the game capped a week of craziness that saw the receiver skip multiple practices.”

He's been an extremely willing blocker his whole career. Can knock him for a lot of things but if he's saying he was trying to avoid injury on that play he's probably not lying.

He's been an extremely willing blocker his whole career. Can knock him for a lot of things but if he's saying he was trying to avoid injury on that play he's probably not lying.

Idk. At this point Pickens track record isn’t the greatest and I’m not sure he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

If Hines Ward did and said the exact same thing on Pickens’ goal line block he’d get a pass because after years of blocking like a champ we’d believe him.

Pickens great play to lazy play ratio is WAY off at this point.

Idk. At this point Pickens track record isn’t the greatest and I’m not sure he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

If Hines Ward did and said the exact same thing on Pickens’ goal line block he’d get a pass because after years of blocking like a champ we’d believe him.

I'm not giving him the benefit of anything, I'm telling you what I've watched since he came into the league.

I'm not giving him the benefit of anything, I'm telling you what I've watched since he came into the league.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

There is things that you say and there is things that you think. His comments on why he didnt down field block should have been the latter. Optics look bad here
That’s where I’m at on this.

He’s gotta know how that sounds and just bite his tongue. It’s a bad look.

I get it but if he’s afraid of getting injured, perhaps he’s playing the wrong sport? :shrug:

I get it but if he’s afraid of getting injured, perhaps he’s playing the wrong sport? :shrug:
If you are saying a player never has the right to protect themselves I'm not going to be able to agree.

I think people genuinely forget that our only official measurement on him has him coming in at just 195 pounds a frame just over 6'3". His BMI is actually less then Tanks and truly an area of the field that long skinny legged person like him is most at risk.

If you are saying a player never has the right to protect themselves I'm not going to be able to agree.

I think people genuinely forget that our only official measurement on him has him coming in at just 195 pounds a frame just over 6'3". His BMI is actually less then Tanks and truly an area of the field that long skinny legged person like him is most at risk.

On that particular play, his job was to make a block. He didn't even make an attempt at it. Honestly what do you think was his risk of injury to make a block there that would potentially result in a TD? I'm going to go on a limb and say it was very low. But if he's so concerned about an injury risk on a play like that, yes I believe he's playing the wrong sport. He'll be a detriment to any team he plays for (regardless of his elite talent).

A jump of Grand Canyon proportions that even Evel Knievel couldn't make...

Mike Tomlin needs to put George Pickens in his place. After speaking to him the other day and then George being lackadaisical in the Colts game at times. Then making comments about not wanting to get hurt. George if you make a block Jaylan could have scored a TD. Heck if you made an attempt to chest bump/ get in the way of the defender Jaylan might have scored a TD. Common Mike T..... George is making a fool out of you. So is Diontae at times. In my honest opinion the best-case scenario to worst needs to happen to George and/or a combination. Doesn't start the next game, misses a few series, suspended for 1 game and fined. The lack of effort needs to definitely hit him in the wallet. The guy is really stupid the way his lack of effort and whimsical responses are going to no doubt affect his long-term pay.

Meanwhile Mike T sent Chukwuma Okorafor to Siberia the bench pretty much in week 9 for something he said or done that hasn't been privy to the public. Granted Chukwuma could have said something detrimental to the team. But what's more detrimental playing players who apparently are taking plays off and when they get called on it, they come up with poor excuses instead of taking accountability for their actions.

Ray Fittipaldo
Mike Tomlin on why he feels it is appropriate for George Pickens to play on Saturday: “Because he’s got talents. We want to utilize them. He’s very much in growth and development (more).

Tomlin continued: "But it would be the very same if we were winning games or he said appropriate things with you guys. That would have made you guys go away, but that wouldn’t have made me any more comfortable about this process that he’s going through. (more)

Tomlin continued: "It will continue to require our attention. I’m just acknowledging it’s a process and our posture based on present circumstances won’t change. We’re coming to work every day in that regard. Part of it is education. I want him to understand that. (more)

Tomlin continued: When you’re winning and doing your job the attention is on that. When you’re not doing your job and losing you better keep your damn mouth shut and understand that attracts a certain type of attention and usually that’s vulture-like attention.”

How does Tomlin let this kid play after all the nonsense he’s pulled? That’s the real question. Punish him or he’s not going to change. If he does not change then let go be PITA somewhere else.
Now we know.

Feels like the word "mercurial" might follow him around

Next Gen Stats
George Pickens finished with 4 receptions for 195 yards & 2 TDs on 6 targets while generating career-highs in receiving yards over expected (+139) & YAC over expected (+90).

Pickens’ +139 receiving YOE are the 3rd-most in a game by any receiver since 2018.

#CINvsPIT | #HereWeGo

Mason Rudolph & George Pickens (86-yd TD) 📽️

On the @Steelers' 2nd play from scrimmage, Pickens reached a top speed of 21.54 mph (fastest by a PIT ball carrier since 2017), and gained 77 yards after catch (+71 YACOE, most on any play in over two seasons).