What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, SEA (1 Viewer)

He hasn't played meaningful football in more than a year, missed pretty much the entirety of the last Buckeyes season. He's not just having to adjust to the NFL but also having to contend with being out of football for a long period of time. Add a small but not minor injury just before the season started with the wrist break and it's not been a smooth 12 months for the guy.

No shocks from me that it's been a slow start.

He hasn't played meaningful football in more than a year, missed pretty much the entirety of the last Buckeyes season. He's not just having to adjust to the NFL but also having to contend with being out of football for a long period of time. Add a small but not minor injury just before the season started with the wrist break and it's not been a smooth 12 months for the guy.

But isn’t the way they’re using him also a bit concerning? And what would change that besides an injury to the guys ahead of him

Well they aren't really using him at all, which isn't ideal. A few short catches a game.

But they have been winning, so not really sure why they'd change anything. They throw the ball well below the league average and pretty much always have under Carroll.

He's a rookie, we've been spoilt in recent years with many hitting the ground running. They don't need him to do anything more than just learn the game and adjust to the speed of the league right now. They have 2 superior options to throw to and arguably the best running back room in the league. In the event of an injury they probably put more responsibility on his shoulders but what's the motivation for them to do that without provocation?

Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen any expectation that he'd not be eased in.

But isn’t the way they’re using him also a bit concerning? And what would change that besides an injury to the guys ahead of him
Do you mean they are being smart with him? Go figure. It might not be great for your fantasy team but overall very good for JSN and the Seahawks. He was the 20th pick overall. He broke his wrist in the pre-season and had surgery. I can not see him breaking out till very late this season or even not at all in 2023. You might have to wait till 2024. And that would be fine with me considering what the poster posted above. He is good at football which I'm sure of but happy to buy him from any owner willing to sell him.

Do you mean they are being smart with him? Go figure. It might not be great for your fantasy team but overall very good for JSN and the Seahawks. He was the 20th pick overall. He broke his wrist in the pre-season and had surgery. I can not see him breaking out till very late this season or even not at all in 2023. You might have to wait till 2024. And that would be fine with me considering what the poster posted above. He is good at football which I'm sure of but happy to buy him from any owner willing to sell him.

I was just wondering if only short yardage targets were of concern, I’m not invested in the guy at all but enjoy watching talented players succeed.

I was just wondering if only short yardage targets were of concern, I’m not invested in the guy at all but enjoy watching talented players succeed.
I was just commenting overall. I have seen a lot of concerns over JSN on boards. I could be wrong he could be a complete bust. I don't think so but you never know. I think if you can go get him maybe now is the time.

I remember in the middle of round 2 of my dynasty rookie draft taking Amon Ra over Toney and then 6 weeks or so into their rookie years thinking “well you overthought that one, why didn’t you just take the obvious pick with the 1st rounder, you had to get cute”.

How silly that is now, you couldn’t trade a 100 shares of Toney for a single Amon Ra. So the player JSN gets comped to the most maybe is ARSB so in other words, get JSN and let Toney blow away with the wind.

I remember in the middle of round 2 of my dynasty rookie draft taking Amon Ra over Toney and then 6 weeks or so into their rookie years thinking “well you overthought that one, why didn’t you just take the obvious pick with the 1st rounder, you had to get cute”.

How silly that is now, you couldn’t trade a 100 shares of Toney for a single Amon Ra. So the player JSN gets comped to the most maybe is ARSB so in other words, get JSN and let Toney blow away with the wind.
I really want to understand your point here bro …

Is it, “hold JSN”?

Lol. If so, uh yea .. obviously.

Or is this a weird flex about you taking ASB over Toney that one year?

Or, maybe it’s all above. Sometimes we just need to post some bullish - I’ve done it plenty

I really want to understand your point here bro …

Is it, “hold JSN”?

Lol. If so, uh yea .. obviously.

Or is this a weird flex about you taking ASB over Toney that one year?

Or, maybe it’s all above. Sometimes we just need to post some bullish - I’ve done it plenty
Mostly just bored rambling BS but also a response to the person debating (for redraft ofc) Toney vs JSN.

Carroll sounds like DK Metcalf is really banged up. May be GTD.

Matchup is good. Njigma metrics headed in the right direction.

Could be a play here...even if Metcalf plays.

Was hoping Metcalf was ruled out overnight. Still a GTD.

Trying to convince myself to play him anyway over W. Robinson.

Game is at 4pm though. Will not know Metcalf's status until later. Bummer.

Was hoping Metcalf was ruled out overnight. Still a GTD.

Trying to convince myself to play him anyway over W. Robinson.

Game is at 4pm though. Will not know Metcalf's status until later. Bummer.
Same boat as you but I have Zack Moss instead. I'd love to play JSN but Moss's game is at noon so if we don't hear anything on Metcalf - which we probably won't since he's a GTD - I have to stick with moss.

In dynasty, there is no way on god's green earth you are considering dropping him. If you feel that way trade him. In redraft, I can understand it but also know the breakout could happen at any point in the season. Trade him though do not drop him with the understanding you are okay with breakout potential happening at any point.
How about a 2 keeper league? I drafted JSN super late, but also have Anthony Richardson and Brian Robinson quite late.
JSN is a keeper.

Richardson is the boom or bust keeper.

Robinson is simply a RB2 some weeks and a RB3 most weeks.

Last edited:
Jacob Gibbs
Jake Bobo played ahead of Jaxon Smith-Njigba in 2WR sets and led the Seahawks in routes run in Week 7.

JSN did see some playing time in both 2WR and 1WR sets with DK Metcalf sidelined. He hadn’t seen those reps previously.

JSN Week 7 usage⬇️
- 82% route participation
- 29% target share
- 30% air yardage share

Season-high route participation and led the team in targets, air yards, and receiving. Love to see it.

Jacob Gibbs
Jake Bobo played ahead of Jaxon Smith-Njigba in 2WR sets and led the Seahawks in routes run in Week 7.

JSN did see some playing time in both 2WR and 1WR sets with DK Metcalf sidelined. He hadn’t seen those reps previously.

JSN Week 7 usage⬇️
- 29% target share
- 30% air yardage share

Season-high route participation and led the team in targets, air yards, and receiving. Love to see it.

🤔

Jacob Gibbs

JSN Week 7 usage⬇️
- 29% target share
- 30% air yardage share

🤔

I am not sure this data means much. There were 24 pass attempts and at 82%, JSN ran routes on 20 of them. So in 2 WR sets, Bobo ran 4 more plays at most. Negligible and could be explained away easily.

I am not sure this data means much. There were 24 pass attempts and at 82%, JSN ran routes on 20 of them. So in 2 WR sets, Bobo ran 4 more plays at most. Negligible and could be explained away easily.

Thinking about this more, could the 2 WR sets they are talking about be run plays?

I'm such a jerk. Picked him up but started W. Robinson over him due to the 4PM game and not knowing DK Metcalf's status.

Happy to have him. Think he'll make more of a dent as the year goes on.

And Carroll this morning wasn't painting a rosey picture about DK.

Per the Underdog guys, Geno hasn't been passing over the middle where JSN's strength is. Uncertainty as to why Geno is avoiding the middle but it doesn't help JSN's prospects. DK on the other hand is due for some regression.

first round wrs who failed to deliver a wr1 week in their rookie season (last 5 years):
2019 - n'keal harry
2020 - jalen reagor, henry ruggs
2021 - rashod bateman
2022 - jameson williams
2023 - jaxon smith-njigba, quentin johnston

Interesting. I will say the one big difference between him and those others is JSN passes the eye test after one year. Dudes legit. He was just drafted by a team that had 2 really good wrs ahead of him. His time will come

Last edited:
It's ridiculous to compare him to those WRs.
Ridiculous, huh?

It's a data point, small sample. Alone, it means nothing.

Just a way to illustrate that he didn't do anything his rookie year.
...but he did do something his rookie year. Comparing him to those losers is not doing justice to what JSN did his rookie year. He showed promise for sure, whereas those other bums did not. Still not sure about J Williams however.

Users who are viewing this thread