What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (2 Viewers)

Atl o line could not block 4 man rush... D Freeman running at will, but they couldn't pass block tonight. Julio looked fine, and was listed probable... Hope he feels even better next week
10 days off and coming off of 2 okay games. He's gonna be beasting again next week.
Actually, he's coming off 1 OK game and 2 lousy games (for a top 3 WR), but yeah, the 10 days should help him get right. From what I saw he wasn't able to get much separation on his go routes and he was being doubled on all of the short inside stuff. He wasn't limping around, but he was clearly not at full speed either. 10 days of rest should do wonders.
If you expect top 3 WR production every week from a top 3 WR you're out of your mind. You're calling last weeks 18 point PPR game "LOUSY"? 18 PPR points per game would make a player a top 10 WR at the end of the year if he did that every week. I'd take 20 PPG from Julio every single week for the rest of the season if I could.

Atl o line could not block 4 man rush... D Freeman running at will, but they couldn't pass block tonight. Julio looked fine, and was listed probable... Hope he feels even better next week
10 days off and coming off of 2 okay games. He's gonna be beasting again next week.
Actually, he's coming off 1 OK game and 2 lousy games (for a top 3 WR), but yeah, the 10 days should help him get right. From what I saw he wasn't able to get much separation on his go routes and he was being doubled on all of the short inside stuff. He wasn't limping around, but he was clearly not at full speed either. 10 days of rest should do wonders.
If you expect top 3 WR production every week from a top 3 WR you're out of your mind. You're calling last weeks 18 point PPR game "LOUSY"? 18 PPR points per game would make a player a top 10 WR at the end of the year if he did that every week. I'd take 20 PPG from Julio every single week for the rest of the season if I could.
Didn't think this would need explaining, but he scored 15.3 in PPR this week, and that's the game that I'm calling "OK." If you think the 7 and 11 points he scored in PPR the two prior weeks was anything more than lousy for a top 3 WR, then you are out of your mind. As I said, he should improve significantly over his last 3 games with 10 days rest.

Didn't think this would need explaining, but he scored 15.3 in PPR this week, and that's the game that I'm calling "OK." If you think the 7 and 11 points he scored in PPR the two prior weeks was anything more than lousy for a top 3 WR, then you are out of your mind. As I said, he should improve significantly over his last 3 games with 10 days rest.
The majority of leagues gave him 6 points for the fumble recovery TD. So last week in most leagues he scored 18. Which if he did that every single week would have made him WR10 last year.

The majority of leagues gave him 6 points for the fumble recovery TD. So last week in most leagues he scored 18. Which if he did that every single week would have made him WR10 last year.
If you got the 6 points for the fumble recovery, then yeah, he's had 2 OK games out of 3.

Let's look on the bright side. He looked fine, didn't look too hampered by injury last night. His moderate production was more on Ryan than him, he could have had 2 td's and a lot more yards. Plus, he didn't appear to re-injure anything and now has 10 days rest with a soft schedule ahead.

Simms, of all people, called it last night. The Saints took away Ryan's first read - which is Julio now - and took Julio out of the game effectively. Now, I take comfort in the fact that this deliberate attempt to shut down Julio still resulted in almost 100 yards in receiving and multiple receptions.

Simms, of all people, called it last night. The Saints took away Ryan's first read - which is Julio now - and took Julio out of the game effectively. Now, I take comfort in the fact that this deliberate attempt to shut down Julio still resulted in almost 100 yards in receiving and multiple receptions.
They did do a good job of this, but it was also compounded by the fact the OL could not effectively block in passing situations as was mentioned here earlier. So even IF, Jones was able to get separation downfield, Ryan didn't have time to step up and deliver.

how's everyone feeling about Julio for the playoff run. he ends up drawing norman for Carolina in weeks 14 and 16. norman was able to contain Hopkins pretty well and we all know that isn't common.

Next Gen Stats: Gronk a freakishly stellar specimen

Except:

3. If you haven't seen the highlight by now, Julio Jones turned heads in Atlanta by starting in the end zone and tracking down Buccaneers linebacker Kwon Alexander on an interception that was nullified by penalty. Jones covered 128.0 yards on the play, reaching a top speed of 21.72 mph as he kicked into turbo between both 30-yard lines. Jones' top speed this season is 22.46 mph, just shy of Darrius Heyward-Bey's 23.11 and 23.03.

how's everyone feeling about Julio for the playoff run. he ends up drawing norman for Carolina in weeks 14 and 16. norman was able to contain Hopkins pretty well and we all know that isn't common.
I'm extremely afraid and will probably bench him in my dynasty those weeks...if i'm still alive. In redraft i am looking to trade him for a similar WR that doesn't play the best shutdown corner in the NFL weeks 14 and 16.

God himself couldn't put up big numbers against Norman, as good as Julio is he'll need a fluke TD to be useful those weeks.

Next Gen Stats: Gronk a freakishly stellar specimen

Except:

3. If you haven't seen the highlight by now, Julio Jones turned heads in Atlanta by starting in the end zone and tracking down Buccaneers linebacker Kwon Alexander on an interception that was nullified by penalty. Jones covered 128.0 yards on the play, reaching a top speed of 21.72 mph as he kicked into turbo between both 30-yard lines. Jones' top speed this season is 22.46 mph, just shy of Darrius Heyward-Bey's 23.11 and 23.03.
That is one of the more amazing things I've read all year... DHB that is. 2x clocked over 23 mph? Holy freaking crap!

I'm extremely afraid and will probably bench him in my dynasty those weeks...if i'm still alive. In redraft i am looking to trade him for a similar WR that doesn't play the best shutdown corner in the NFL weeks 14 and 16.

God himself couldn't put up big numbers against Norman, as good as Julio is he'll need a fluke TD to be useful those weeks.
ehhhhhh.....Norman hasn't faced anyone at Julio's level yet.

Hopkins did put up 5/53 back in week 2. I'm not sure who Norman was covering in the TB game, but Vincent Jackson went off for 10/145/1

ehhhhhh.....Norman hasn't faced anyone at Julio's level yet.

Hopkins did put up 5/53 back in week 2. I'm not sure who Norman was covering in the TB game, but Vincent Jackson went off for 10/145/1
Norman did cover Julio last year and this was the result (excerpt from the article linked in post #1272):

The fourth-year cornerback wasn't happy when Gruden said during the first quarter of Atlanta's 26-24 victory over Philadelphia in the Monday Night Football opener that he hadn't seen "anybody cover Julio Jones in the last couple of years."

Norman reminded reporters that in Carolina's two games against Atlanta last season, Jones, who averaged 99.5 yards a game in 2014, had a combined 10 catches for 117 yards and no touchdowns.

Julio is Hands down the most overrated receiver in the NFL!!!!

He gets what you give him and that's it !!!!

Can't beat anyone long

Never out jumps anyone so not a red zone target

Can't beat double coverage

Can't beat any of the top 5 Corners in the NFL 1 on 1

He is a 6'3" 220lb version of Julian Edelman or Wes Welker ... 80% of his catches are short crossing routes

I'm absolutely disgusted with this guy and not looking forward to Norman if I manage to overcome Julio's ineptness and make the playoffs

Can't beat anyone long

He is a 6'3" 220lb version of Julian Edelman or Wes Welker ... 80% of his catches are short crossing routes

I'm absolutely disgusted with this guy and not looking forward to Norman if I manage to overcome Julio's ineptness and make the playoffs
Please tell me this is a joke.

Can't beat anyone long

This is awesomely terrible.

Can't beat anyone long

Look at this guy...

I'm legit scared, luckily I get to see how the match-up pans out the first go around before it actually matters for me. After Julio, ATL probably has one of the least potent passing attacks in the league. Roddy is over the hill, Hankerson quite literally can't catch and Tamme is Tamme. Their passing attack is so bad, I actually think they miss Hankerson when he's out. I can't help but feel like CAR matches up perfectly vs. ATL. This is going to be a #### show.

Julio 2 TD catches in his last 8 games ... which included 4 Top 10 Worst Defenses vs. WR (He went without a TD in all 4) Ryan threw 6 TDs in those games

• WAS (5th)
  • NO (6th )
  • SF (7th)
  • IND (10th)
2 of his TDs vs PHI (2nd)

There's definitely something up with his tds last two years. They never use him in the red zone besides those stupid bubble screens. Never throw him a jump ball.

There's definitely something up with his tds last two years. They never use him in the red zone besides those stupid bubble screens. Never throw him a jump ball.
At least the red zone targets are up this year. He's at 16 right now, all of last year he only had 12

I don't think anyone is excited about the Carolina matchups in Weeks 14 and 16. But if you are fortunate enough to be IN the playoffs, chances are its in large part to what Julio has done this year.

So the real question is... who actually has the guts to bench him in the playoffs?

I am amused, like a clown that is here to amuse me, that people try to predict the NFL as if the expected always happens.

Everyone is so excited about Norman, but they also forget Julio is also a great talent too.

Can't beat anyone long

:crazy:

I am amused, like a clown that is here to amuse me, that people try to predict the NFL as if the expected always happens.

Everyone is so excited about Norman, but they also forget Julio is also a great talent too.
I don't think most expect that Norman will shut down Julio completely, but owners have come to rely on Julio for top 5 performances, so even if Norman slows him down to the point where he produces like a WR2 it could be enough to sink the championship hopes of some teams. It's a legit concern. Hopefully, for Julio owners, it turns out to be overblown.

• Smile
Reactions: Jed

I don't think most expect that Norman will shut down Julio completely, but owners have come to rely on Julio for top 5 performances, so even if Norman slows him down to the point where he produces like a WR2 it could be enough to sink the championship hopes of some teams. It's a legit concern. Hopefully, for Julio owners, it turns out to be overblown.
Also, for the more thoughtful owners, any concerns about the games vs Panthers is just as much (if not more) about the way Ryan is playing + Panthers pass rush.

6/70/1 would be a good day, that is possible anytime he steps on the field no matter who is the CB. I do not believe in the never bench your stud theory, but I do believe if you bench him it better be for a better reason than he "may" get shut down. Thomas got shut down last night in a game he shouldnt have. It happens. It is hard to predict, it is why I do not get cute and I play my studs. After all, it is how I made the playoffs int he first place.

Re: Julio and Panthers

I am scared as heck. I will never sit him but it is impacting how safe vs. upside I am going with regards to the rest of my starting lineup.

Julio vs Norman isn't the problem. Ryan being a female QB when seeing tight coverage on Julio is a different story.

Julio will be moved to the slot enough that he will get his... but the problem is he won't go nuclear which is what we need in the playoffs. Concerned here.

Julio will be moved to the slot enough that he will get his... but the problem is he won't go nuclear which is what we need in the playoffs. Concerned here.
We all are. The good thing is expectations are low. I looked at trading Julio as early as week 8 or 9 based on his playoff schedule, and the overwhelming thought was - who for? Gotta throw out your studs and hope they make plays.

We all are. The good thing is expectations are low. I looked at trading Julio as early as week 8 or 9 based on his playoff schedule, and the overwhelming thought was - who for? Gotta throw out your studs and hope they make plays.
Exactly. It was either deal with Julio's crap matchups, or downgrade to an inferior player with better matchups. Could have tried to trade for AB or ODB, but both of them have playoff matchup problems of their own.

I only need him for W15 and 16. Basically hoping that they make adjustments for the second game and he won't let Norman shut him down twice in three weeks.

Traded Mark Ingram and Michael Crabtree for him before week 11. That was a steep price IMO but I am ahead so far, albeit only slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread