What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (1 Viewer)

frankly it feels like Detroit already has enough skill players to feed and adding Evans would be a financial mistake.
Potentially, but other than Amon-Ra, we don't know if any of these guys are any good. We know Evans is, and if Detroit fancies themselves a contender, its probably a little risky to be relying on essentially 3 rookies as your top weapons after St. Brown.
Can you imagine trying to setup a defense to defend against:

Amon Ra
Evans
Jamo
LaPorta
Gibbs
Montgomery

That is an insane amount talent at the skill positions. There is not a secondary that exists that could account for all those guys.

Giants just freed up some cap space by converting a portion of DJs bag to a signing bonus. Is it happening????

Giants just freed up some cap space by converting a portion of DJs bag to a signing bonus. Is it happening????

The Giants needed to do this to get under the salary cap. They have less than a million in cap space now, I believe.
As a Giants fan I'd like to see Evans here, but they'd still need to make some more moves first.

The Giants needed to do this to get under the salary cap. They have less than a million in cap space now, I believe.
As a Giants fan I'd like to see Evans here, but they'd still need to make some more moves first.
I think the Giants now have $9 mil in cap space according to Spotrac.

No sources. No hype pieces. My gut has this weird feeling Evans is about to get moved.
He doesn't want to be moved and the Bucs don't want to move him. Per all reports he's had a dominant training camp. The Bucs are trying to win the division for the 3rd straight year. If they're going to move him due to not having a deal in place it won't be until closer to the trade deadline, and they'd only do it if they've had a brutal start to the season. Granted, that's possible. However, if you're breaking in a young QB, which they would be in that scenario, who better than to help him out than a veteran like Mike Evans? And with a QB on a rookie contract they can afford to splurge at WR.

Their only worry right now is they have $75M in dead cap this season, and a little more still next season, but they have other young players needing to be extended. Wirfs, Winfield, maybe Devin White if he has a good year. Etc. However, they also won't have to pay a QB big money.

Evans has graciously taken less to stay a Buc during his career. He has restructured his deals several times to help the team. He also has major ties to the community. I think they'll get something done.

Buccaneers WR Mike Evans was not listed on the injury report Wednesday.

Evans had been nursing a hamstring injury sustained during camp. His absence from the team’s opening injury report bodes well for his chances of being at full strength when the Bucs open the season against the Vikings Sunday. Evans has an interesting matchup on tap against a Vikings defense now helmed by ultra-aggressive defensive coordinator Brian Flores, who has historically held elevated blitz rates and increased rates of man coverage during his coaching career.

Josina Anderson
It is true that the #Bucs are electing not to extend WR Mike Evans at this time, as @DMRussini reported.Here's the context, per what I'm told. The #Bucs spent a lot of money running back the last couple years, and also know they have players like Wirfs, Winfield, White, Godwin, etc that they have to be contractually mindful of. This also includes Baker Mayfield who they'll consider paying if he plays well this season too. While Mike Evans has 9 consecutive 1000+ yard seasons and a strong relationship with the organization and GM Jason Licht as his first-ever pick, my understanding is they want to see what they have with their young core players. Letting players test the market and still extending them isn't unprecedented for Tampa either. They did it with David, Dean and Davis. The thing is will Evans opt not to return, which has been inferred with issuing and now not giving him an extension by his deadline.

There are no current* inclinations to trade Mike Evans. Obviously, any front office will explore offers. So, player status is always* fluid.

That said, Evans is a cornerstone in the Bucs organization & community. A model of elite consistency on the field. Difficult day for him.

May I be as bold as to suggest that he could win someone a Super Bowl?
Depends on the team of course. But yes.
Obviously KC would be ideal in many ways. Other than KC and the Giants, we’d probably wait until an injury to a contender. Although, they don’t really need him, but Jacksonville would be scary.

Jets. They have the money and are all-in anyway. They desperately need a WR2 on their team after Corey Davis retired. And Mike Evans is a whole lot better than Corey Davis. Might even rub off on Garrett Wilson.

Jets would love to have him, and he might be the piece necessary for a SB for them.

Jets. They have the money and are all-in anyway. They desperately need a WR2 on their team after Corey Davis retired. And Mike Evans is a whole lot better than Corey Davis. Might even rub off on Garrett Wilson.

Jets would love to have him, and he might be the piece necessary for a SB for them.
Wasn’t Lazard supposed to be the 2? Or was he signed just to carry Aaron’s bags.
But yes, Evans would surely help.

It’s being reported he’s asking for the Kupp deal. He and Kupp are the same age, but the deal for Evans would start two years later.

I don’t fault Evans for asking. I do wonder if he’ll be able to get more from someone else though?

He’ll be 31 after the season. I know the Bucs would like him to finish his career with them. Apparently they aren’t willing to guarantee it though. Can’t blame them either.

I hope he has a monster year and gets everything he wants. If TB starts slow he could get moved to a contender.

Wasn’t Lazard supposed to be the 2? Or was he signed just to carry Aaron’s bags.

I think Davis was going to be the consistent two. Or get cut because of salary issues. Or somewhere in between all of that.

I'm trying to say that I really don't know. I thought Davis had the edge over Lazard once the money thing was taken care of through restructuring. But he retired. Not sure if restructuring or being cut played any part in his decision. All we're left with is a note, a thank you, and a retirement.

I was pretty much banking on him being on the field a lot given his blocking prowess and given that the Jets are going to want to run the football quite a bit.

eta* I'm pretty sure the Jets wanted Davis. His retirement left them thin and inexperienced at WR.

It’s being reported he’s asking for the Kupp deal. He and Kupp are the same age, but the deal for Evans would start two years later.

I don’t fault Evans for asking. I do wonder if he’ll be able to get more from someone else though?

He’ll be 31 after the season. I know the Bucs would like him to finish his career with them. Apparently they aren’t willing to guarantee it though. Can’t blame them either.

I hope he has a monster year and gets everything he wants. If TB starts slow he could get moved to a contender.
if true that's a ridiculous ask at this point in his career, only reason to ask for that is if he wants out. TB isn't contending anytime soon so no reason to give him anywhere near that kind of money.

Davis also could play the X role and allowed them more ways to move Garrett across the formation. Lazard isn’t that good at X and we might see Garrett stay there more.

Interesting. I don't necessarily get into the nitty gritty of the X Y Z distinction unless it is obvious. Seems like a guy like Lazard (who people say has trouble getting off of press, or at least doesn't really win that quickly at the LoS) is probably less suited than Davis for X, all things considered. I do remember Bri from this board telling us about Davis's trouble getting off of press, so that's something I never considered a strength of Davis's.

if true that's a ridiculous ask at this point in his career, only reason to ask for that is if he wants out. TB isn't contending anytime soon so no reason to give him anywhere near that kind of money.
I feel the same way, but as far as we know there has been no demand for a trade, and he isn’t holding out.

Evans’ agents have applauded the Bucs’ front office for the way they’ve handled negotiations. Starting to wonder if it’s ownership that’s unwilling to write the check.

Imagine Mahomes chucking it down the sideline to Evans. What Evans is good at and what Mahomes is capable of would result in something beautiful. From a business perspective, if I was in charge of Tampa, I'm not extending Evans with some massive Kupp like deal. I'm also not letting him simply play out contract to watch him walk out for nothing. I'm moving him for a 3rd and getting a better picture of the rest of my wr room before I blow it up next year. Imo

Starting to wonder if it’s ownership that’s unwilling to write the check.
I haven't been following, is this in question?

Letting him finish the deal, and move on seems to be the prudent business decision.
Is it? If they don’t even get a comp pick?
The jets, giants or chiefs could easily trade a late 2 and be much better for it.

Unfortunately the Jets can't trade their 2nd round pick. (or their first rounder). If Rodgers plays less than 65% of the snaps this year, it goes to GB as part of the trade. (65% or more and they owe their first). So they can't trade either pick unless they work out a separate deal with GB (who has little incentive to help them since any additional Jets improvement means a lower pick for them later)

As a Jets fan, I would LOVE to get Evans for something like a 3 and a 5. Just not sure that's enough if he actually goes on the open market.

Starting to wonder if it’s ownership that’s unwilling to write the check.
I haven't been following, is this in question?

Letting him finish the deal, and move on seems to be the prudent business decision.
Is it? If they don’t even get a comp pick?
The jets, giants or chiefs could easily trade a late 2 and be much better for it.

Unfortunately the Jets can't trade their 2nd round pick. (or their first rounder). If Rodgers plays less than 65% of the snaps this year, it goes to GB as part of the trade. (65% or more and they owe their first). So they can't trade either pick unless they work out a separate deal with GB (who has little incentive to help them since any additional Jets improvement means a lower pick for them later)

As a Jets fan, I would LOVE to get Evans for something like a 3 and a 5. Just not sure that's enough if he actually goes on the open market.
Fair enough. 2025 2nd or take the chance that Aaron doesn’t get 65%. Figure the Jets play 7 games before the deadline. Probably not a risk worth taking. :oldunsure:

Evans isn't really going to help anyone's job security
I think it might help more than a 2025 2nd round pick.
That's a really good point in all this. We offer opinions of what we would do like it's a Madden video game. What if there was a chance u lose control if u don't do good now? I obviously don't trade Evans for a pick in that scenario. Don't know the internal discussions on job safety for those making the decisions on him.

That's a really good point in all this. We offer opinions of what we would do like it's a Madden video game. What if there was a chance u lose control if u don't do good now? I obviously don't trade Evans for a pick in that scenario. Don't know the internal discussions on job safety for those making the decisions on him.
It's massive.

Give the GM and the coach 5 year guaranteed deals, and maybe you'll see more of this forward thinking. Otherwise, you get humans who wanna keep their jobs.

It's massive.

Give the GM and the coach 5 year guaranteed deals, and maybe you'll see more of this forward thinking. Otherwise, you get humans who wanna keep their jobs.
It seems really short sighted by the owner or other decision makers. Obviously the Bucs have made mostly short term moves in recent years and it’s largely worked out. Right now though, maybe Glazer knows the best long term move is to get future compensation?
Ok, probably not.

Imagine Mahomes chucking it down the sideline to Evans. What Evans is good at and what Mahomes is capable of would result in something beautiful. From a business perspective, if I was in charge of Tampa, I'm not extending Evans with some massive Kupp like deal. I'm also not letting him simply play out contract to watch him walk out for nothing. I'm moving him for a 3rd and getting a better picture of the rest of my wr room before I blow it up next year. Imo
I think that would be illegal in most states

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Buccaneers and WR Mike Evans could not reach an agreement on a contract extension and the veteran will explore free agency following the 2023 season.

Saturday’s deadline was self-imposed by Evans, who will now play the 2023 season on the final year of his contract. Considering the relative rebuild the Buccaneers are undergoing following the retirement of Tom Brady, it could make sense for the team to explore the trade market for the veteran wide receiver during the season. Evans wanted to cut off contract negotiations during the year as he hunts for his 10th consecutive 1,000-yard season.

Mike Evans caught 6-of-10 targets for 66 yards and a touchdown in the Buccaneers’ Week 1 win over the Vikings.

While he got off to a slow start, Mike Evans was peppered with targets from Baker Mayfield in the second half. At the end of the first half, Evans caught a 28-yard touchdown to give Tampa Bay momentum. He dropped a pass in the second half that would have been a certain touchdown, but was moot by the end of the game. Evans will see elite usage again in Week 2 against the Bears.

- Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread