What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Phillip Dorsett, HOU (1 Viewer)

Thanks. 

Yeah, I've watched parts of their games, but mostly for the offense.  Was surprised that they basically shut JAX out until garbage time last week.

This is a tough matchup for Dorsett but I still see him putting up some numbers.  Definitely tempering expectations for this week tho.

Good info.

Biabreakable said:
Hayward who had 2 interceptions last week.

SD gave up tons of passing yards last season. They have played better in the first two games than they looked in preseason this year. Saying they are the best corners in the league seems pretty over the top to me though.
1. Verrett is one of the top 5 corners in the NFL. He is unknown to many fans because he plays for San Diego. 

2. Flowers played well in 2014, signed a big contract, and played 2015 out of shape. He is back in shape and playing well. 

3. The Chargers didn't have Hayward last season, and he is a big upgrade. 

4. All 3 of them can play outside or in the slot. 

5. I said they may be the best trio.

6. Meanwhile, the Chargers LBs and safeties are terrible in coverage. Altogether, there is reason for opponents to target WRs less against the Chargers than they would against many other teams. 

2015 DB defensive snaps and ST snaps from FBO

32-E.Weddle    SD    DB    751    75.0%    90    19.8%
22-J.Verrett    SD    DB    719    71.8%    88    19.4%
37-J.Addae    SD    DB    713    71.2%    46    10.1%
26-P.Robinson    SD    DB    692    69.1%    144    31.7%
24-B.Flowers    SD    DB    603    60.2%    25    5.5%
27-J.Wilson    SD    DB    482    48.1%    156    34.4%
23-S.Williams    SD    DB    286    28.5%    88    19.4%
29-C.Mager    SD    DB    226    22.6%    96    21.1%
31-A.Phillips    SD    DB    206    20.6%    118    26.0%

2016 DB defensive snaps ST snaps

20-D.Lowery    SD    DB    128    93.4%    18    29.5%
24-B.Flowers    SD    DB    126    92.0%    6    9.8%
22-J.Verrett    SD    DB    125    91.2%    2    3.3%
37-J.Addae    SD    DB    122    89.1%    0    0.0%
26-C.Hayward    SD    DB    100    73.0%    28    45.9%
23-D.McCoil    SD    DB    35    25.5%    29    47.5%
29-C.Mager    SD    DB    16    11.7%    48    78.7%
40-P.Desir    SD    DB    12    8.8%    14    23.0%
25-D.Stuckey    SD    DB    9    6.6%    48    78.7%

RenegadeRoy said:
Came up as game time decision for tomorrow. Anyone more tapped into the Colts have any insight into this? 
He's got a super early game in London. I'd bench him for any other viable option at this point, so you don't screw it up early Sunday morning.

The Jaguars are giving up more points to WR on average after 3 weeks. Seems like a plus match up for Dorsett if he is healthy enough to go.

He is listed as questionable so a 50% chance to play. We don't know if he would be considered probable if they still had that designation for injury status or not.

I would be tempted to start him because of the match up, but I have no idea if his ankle injury is seriously limiting or not.

Phillip Dorsett caught 1-of-3 targets for 64 yards and a touchdown Week 4 against the Jaguars.
Dorsett was headed for a clunker, but he sprinted past broken coverage in the fourth quarter for a 64-yard touchdown. Dorsett looked poised for a much bigger role once Donte Moncrief went down, but he has just seven targets in the last two games. He will be no better than a WR4 next week against the Bears.

Oct 2 - 1:48 PM

This guy is Donnie Avery mk II. 

Time to cut bait in dynasty, he's going nowhere and if he does, he can do it on someone else's team.

This guy is Donnie Avery mk II. 

Time to cut bait in dynasty, he's going nowhere and if he does, he can do it on someone else's team.
Agreed. I traded him for a my-4th-for-his-3rd pick swap in one league and trying to do the same in another. Looking to get anything I can for him to free up a roster spot for someone on the wire who has some more upside since we've seen that this guy didn't perform when given the chance. 

I agree he has been disappointing.

I am not ready to completely close the book on him though as I still think he could emerge later on in his career.

Comparing Dorset to Rrggie Waynes second season however does not make me feel optimistic about Dorsett being able to follow a similar career path as I have been previously. He had some chances to show what he can do this year and it has not been very impressive. His best game is still week one, which was promising but he has faded back since then.

The Colts recent track record with 1st round picks has been pretty bad as well, so this may be a case where considering draft position in your player evaluation/valuation works against you.

I know there were a few draftniks who really liked Dorsett as a prospect before the draft. I didn't entirely agree with their assessment (1st round value) as I thought he was worth something more like a 2nd round NFL rookie pick than a 1st. When he was drafted in the 1st round by the Colts, I decided maybe I under estimated him a bit. Great situation with Luck as well, he just hasn't done enough on the field though, so now I am leaning more towards my initially assessment of him, which is still positive, but not as good as I think some thought, especially the Colts.

If he does start producing later on this year or next year I would certainly give him another look, but what he has done so far is a disappointment. If you have a lot of roster space, sure I can see holding, otherwise there are other players out there who deserve that spot more at this point.

ESPN's Mike Wells believes it's "safe to say" Phillip Dorsett's job as the No. 3 receiver is "up for grabs" following the signing of Kamar Aiken.

Along with Aiken, Wells expects Chester Rogers to push Dorsett for snaps behind T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief. With new GM Chris Ballard running the show and having no ties to Dorsett, it's fair to wonder if the former first-round speedster could even be available for trade. Dorsett has shown glimpses in two seasons, but he's totaled just 51 catches for 753 yards and three scores while battling injuries. Aiken is probably the early favorite for the No. 3 job.

Related: Kamar AikenChester Rogers

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 27 - 9:56 AM

one of the most disappointing prospects other than Trent Richardson in recent memory IMO. Looked like he was going to the perfect team with the perfect QB and system. 

CabinFever said:
one of the most disappointing prospects other than Trent Richardson in recent memory IMO. Looked like he was going to the perfect team with the perfect QB and system. 
Funny how the Colts invested a first rounder on both of these busts. 

Phillip Dorsett said he will be "a new and improved guy" this season.

"I took my body to another level this offseason," Dorsett added. A first-round pick in 2015, Dorsett missed a chunk of his rookie year after breaking his leg and failed to step up with Donte Moncrief sidelined last season. With a new front office in town and Kamar Aiken joining the team in free agency, it is now or never for the third-year player.

Source: ESPN

What the hell happened to Phillip Dorsett?

ProFootballTalk‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk 51m51 minutes ago

Colts WR Chester Rogers, undrafted in 2016, already has beaten out Philip Dorsett and Kamar Aiken for No. 3 spot

This guy ... 

thought I was a pretty smart guy in a small room when I took him at the top of the 2nd in my rookie draft. At the time it seemed inevitable that TY was gonna be gone.

nope.

now he can't even find a role? Not good.

there isn't any room for 2 pint sized WR to make noise on any NFL team. TY is that guy.

PD is toast 

I tried to warn you guys.  Like I mentioned somewhere either in this thread or another one....he's got zero run after the catch ability.  His straight line speed is very good and if he catches the ball in stride he'll take the top off the defense, but unfortunately it takes a lot more than that to be a good receiver in the NFL.

One of the few highly drafted players from my home town Hurricanes that HASN'T panned out...but then again it was a case of him being overvalued by people that fell in love with the stopwatch at the combine.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.playerline.com/nfl/newsitem/phillip-dorsett-on-the-trade-block?$deeplink_path=newsitem-2334247&$fallback_url=http://www.playerline.com/nfl/newsitem/phillip-dorsett-on-the-trade-block&_branch_match_id=296289105551771766

Phillip Dorsett on the trade block?August 19, 2017 | 02:15 PM

Appearing on the Rich Eisen show, NFL Insider Mike Lombardi confirmed Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Phillip Dorsett is on the trading block.

Writer's Analysis: Dorsett, the former 29th overall pick of the Colts in 2015, is reportedly available to acquire via trade. The former first-round pick struggled mightily since entering the NFL -- he's only produced a 51-753-3 stat line in 26 games -- and could be on his way out of Indianapolis. Per Lombardi, the Colts would take a late-round pick in return for the bust wideout. Currently, he is slated behind Chester Rodgers and Kamar Aiken on the depth chart and has minimal, if any, fantasy value for the upcoming campaign.

Patriots acquired WR Phillip Dorsett from the Colts in exchange for QB Jacoby Brissett.

The Colts are cutting their losses and the Patriots are bolstering their depth. Despite his 5-foot-10, 185-pound frame, Dorsett has not been a slot man in the NFL, but his availability on the outside will make it easier for the Pats to stick Chris Hogan in the middle. Dorsett has been close to a complete bust in the NFL, but had a decent preseason with the Colts' woeful quarterbacks, catching five passes for 75 yards. He's averaged 14.8 yards per catch as an NFLer. He bolsters the Pats' depth and provides a big-play element. He won't have immediate re-draft value.

Related: Colts

Source: Field Yates on Twitter 

Sep 2 - 1:55 PM

What does this mean for Malcom Mitchell?
Dorsett is no threat to Mitchell, or to any other Pats WR. Mitchell's problem is staying healthy, his knee problems could shorten his career. If Dorsett struggled to learn the Colts playbook, he'll never grasp New England's. They'll probably ask him to return punts, and occasionally run a 9 route.

Dorsett is no threat to Mitchell, or to any other Pats WR. Mitchell's problem is staying healthy, his knee problems could shorten his career. If Dorsett struggled to learn the Colts playbook, he'll never grasp New England's. They'll probably ask him to return punts, and occasionally run a 9 route.
Nailed it. If he's on the team at the end of the season he's lucky.

This is intriguing... Correct me if I'm wrong but Hogan doesn't possess the same skill set as Edelman; Hogan seems to be more like a deep threat than anything else. 

Dorsett might hold some significant value if he is returning kicks/punts, and getting some work as a possession WR. Too early to tell but in my league we get some good value from PR/KR who get some decent receptions... 

On my watch list at least. Depends how Hogan does with more work. Ticked I missed on Hogan by 4 picks in my draft

Phillip Dorsett is currently the Patriots' No. 3 receiver.

With Danny Amendola (concussion, knee) out and Matthew Slater a special teamer, Dorsett is currently just behind Brandin Cooks and Chris Hogan, although the Patriots could add someone on Saturday. That should result in more than the 18 snaps he played in the season opener, but it is difficult to imagine Dorsett racking up the targets just two weeks after joining the team. New England should heavily utilize their running backs and tight ends in the passing game on Sunday.

Source: ESPN

Sep 16 - 11:23 AM

So I've heard some buzz about this guy filling in for Cooks this year? What do you think the odds of that are? Where do you currently have him on the depth chart?

I agree. He would be useful on some other teams though.
He wasn't very useful for the Colts, nor the Patriots.  I think the time has come to accept that he is a 1st rd bust.  Grigson should never have drafted him in the 1st rd.  Most pundits agree he wasn't first rd talent.

Too early to know anything, considering it's the Patriots we probably won't have enough information about how they plan to use him until the end of training camp 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread