What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashee Rice, KC (16 Viewers)

Am I reading this right? The guy participated in egregiously bad behavior that initiated a high speed multiple vehicle accident, and some people here are seriously positing that the right thing for him to do was to evacuate the scene immediately without checking for injuries?

Some of you folks need to do a serious self check on your character. His career or his freedom were hardly the top priorities subsequent to the event he instigated. Hard to believe I actually had to post this here.
It is truly sad

Am I reading this right? The guy participated in egregiously bad behavior that initiated a high speed multiple vehicle accident, and some people here are seriously positing that the right thing for him to do was to evacuate the scene immediately without checking for injuries?

Some of you folks need to do a serious self check on your character. His career or his freedom were hardly the top priorities subsequent to the event he instigated. Hard to believe I actually had to post this here.
This must have really struck a nerve because I’ve not seen you post here in years

The guy he punched in the night club, apparently that guy had left, Rice contacted him on Insta, offering to hire him as a photographer if he came back, dude came back, and then Rice sucker punched him while the guy was pulling up some of his portfolio on his phone to show Rice.

This is all allegedly obviously, but I read it in an article this morning. If it's true, at minimum the guy will have a digital trail to support it to go along with the shiner he no doubt got.

The guy he punched in the night club, apparently that guy had left, Rice contacted him on Insta, offering to hire him as a photographer if he came back, dude came back, and then Rice sucker punched him while the guy was pulling up some of his portfolio on his phone to show Rice.

This is all allegedly obviously, but I read it in an article this morning. If it's true, at minimum the guy will have a digital trail to support it to go along with the shiner he no doubt got.
Trying to look tough in front of his homies.

If this is true and can be proven, no way he plays a single snap in 2024.

Good ol' BB mis-quoting stuff way out of context. No one said it was the "right" thing to do from a moral perspective. From a criminal/legal incrimination/avoiding consequences it's going to be a lot harder to convict of anything in the absence of concrete evidence like a blood-alcohol test or search of all of the items removed. I like to find out how honest people are by asking them "if your teen-age son called you in the exact same situation tell me with a straight face you wouldn't advise him to do the same."
  • Are you OK?
  • Is everyone else OK?
  • Are you sober?
  • Is everyone else sober?
Granted, I have a daughter and the call came in after midnight. But this was my order of operations.

Good ol' BB mis-quoting stuff way out of context. No one said it was the "right" thing to do from a moral perspective. From a criminal/legal incrimination/avoiding consequences it's going to be a lot harder to convict of anything in the absence of concrete evidence like a blood-alcohol test or search of all of the items removed. I like to find out how honest people are by asking them "if your teen-age son called you in the exact same situation tell me with a straight face you wouldn't advise him to do the same."
  • Are you OK?
  • Is everyone else OK?
  • Are you sober?
  • Is everyone else sober?
Granted, I have a daughter and the call came in after midnight. But this was my order of operations.
For me, it would go something like this...

Son - Dad, I just caused a major pileup on the freeway where I was drunk driving 120 mph and the car is full of cocaine and weapons. What should I do?
Me - Click!

There's the link.

Full blown knucklehead. Sell at a loss while you still can IMO

That’s just so…so bad. And moreover, it looks even worse than it is.

If this alone was the issue I’d say he gets 4 games.

But yeah, obviously this isn’t the issue. That this happened in the wake of a much more significant issue is a truly terrible look.

NFL is going to be harsh with his penalty. My opinion only, of course.

NFL is going to be harsh with his penalty.
It's got to a point were the ugliness is such he's in danger of the one thing worse then just getting suspended, which is the exempt list followed by a suspension.

This is pretty much reserved now for when the PR is to bad but the league lets the legal process play out before suspending, they just need the player to go away in the meantime. Are we there yet? I'm not sure, just openly wondering. If we are he'll do well to settle these legal issues so he can serve his suspension because we know the league does not treat the exempt list as "time served".

League pretty much used the exempt list followed by suspension to keep Antonio Brown and Watson out for 1.5 years+.

There's the link.

Can you please cut and paste the text from this article? The stupid website keeps locking up on me.

This is pretty much reserved now for when the PR is to bad but the league lets the legal process play out before suspending, they just need the player to go away in the meantime. Are we there yet? I'm not sure, just openly wondering. If we are he'll do well to settle these legal issues so he can serve his suspension because we know the league does not treat the exempt list as "time served".
I'm not sure the exempt list has ever been used in the offseason. It's mostly a "we can't put this guy on TV right now" tool. They can't stop the media stuff that's happening, but they make sure they don't make it even more glaring by letting him see the football field. Teams have told players in the past not to report to camp (someone recently too, but maybe I'm thinking about Tyreek when that noise about his son was going on?) but I don't think the NFL takes this kind of action in the offseason.

I'm not sure the exempt list has ever been used in the offseason. It's mostly a "we can't put this guy on TV right now" tool. They can't stop the media stuff that's happening, but they make sure they don't make it even more glaring by letting him see the football field. Teams have told players in the past not to report to camp (someone recently too, but maybe I'm thinking about Tyreek when that noise about his son was going on?) but I don't think the NFL takes this kind of action in the offseason.
I'm talking about the season, of course it's not used for the off-season. I outlined pretty much just what you said in the bolded.

Are you really saying you would advise your teenage son to leave the scene of an accident he caused without checking to make sure people were ok? If so, it makes sense why your teenage son would cause the accident in the first place.
Let's say you were Brittney Griner's father for a moment. She calls you from an airport in Russia, and says she just made it through a checkpoint with an illegal cannabis vape. She is worried security will find it at the next checkpoint, but there is a garbage can she can throw it away in. Would you tell her to a) toss the vape, b) try to sneak it past another checkpoint, or c) turn herself in?

Look, I also said many pages ago that Rice leaving the scene was in his best interests, but I meant legally, not morally. Now, he won't be charged with DUI, drug possession, or illegal weapons possession. Any sane person knows he would've been charged with all 3 if he stayed behind. Personally, I hope he gets at least a full year suspension, and would love to see him get jail time, but in the moment, he did exactly what I would expect from a person in his shoes. Now, if he and his friends were only drag racing, the 2 drivers were sober, and there were no guns or drugs in either vehicle, I do not think they all would've left the scene.

Oh, and for all you good parents who told Britney to throw the vape in the garbage can, sadly, 2 young children found it, toked up, and are now tripping balls.

Are you really saying you would advise your teenage son to leave the scene of an accident he caused without checking to make sure people were ok? If so, it makes sense why your teenage son would cause the accident in the first place.
No, Hank is saying the family attorney would advise his son to do that, if his son was drunk or whatever.

Pointing out a distasteful legal reality is valid in this thread, but it's apparently enough to question the parenting skills of complete strangers.

Maybe you guys wanna take a breath

No, Hank is saying the family attorney would advise his son to do that, if his son was drunk or whatever.
Not really. I'm saying that any parent would go to lengths they wouldn't otherwise believe they would to protect their children. So when people get all high and mighty and outraged over a young (black, which is a non-trivial factor in today's legal landscape) man doing what's in his legal best interests I encourage them to take a step back and go into child-preservation mode for a moment. Every single person I ask this question of, every single one, at a MINIMUM hesitates before answering. And when they do I can see the look of horror on their faces - "oh my god, to what extent WOULD I go to protect little Timmy?".

TLDR version is walk another mile in the man's shoes before you judge him too harshly. Obviously he deserve to face consequences for what he's caused, but to write him off as a human being because he made a panicked decision in the heat of an extremely traumatic moment isn't fair.

I also made two lowball offers for Rice a couple weeks ago and am now super glad they were both declined.

No, I am saying I shudder to think what I would do if I were put into the situation of having to protect a child. As would most/all parents that are being totally honest with themselves.

Not really. I'm saying that any parent would go to lengths they wouldn't otherwise believe they would to protect their children. So when people get all high and mighty and outraged over a young (black, which is a non-trivial factor in today's legal landscape) man doing what's in his legal best interests I encourage them to take a step back and go into child-preservation mode for a moment. Every single person I ask this question of, every single one, at a MINIMUM hesitates before answering. And when they do I can see the look of horror on their faces - "oh my god, to what extent WOULD I go to protect little Timmy?".

TLDR version is walk another mile in the man's shoes before you judge him too harshly. Obviously he deserve to face consequences for what he's caused, but to write him off as a human being because he made a panicked decision in the heat of an extremely traumatic moment isn't fair.

I also made two lowball offers for Rice a couple weeks ago and am now super glad they were both declined.
Oh please.

Nice job playing the race card too. His being black had nothing to do with it in this case. He’s a high profile athlete with means. You act like the police were going to shoot him on site had he stayed and faced the consequences of his actions. His race has zero to do with the disgust people feel for his just walking away.

Now the pre-draft incident of him shooting up a guys car because he was dating the same woman comes to light, along with the current incident with the photographer. Were those also “panicked, heat of the moment” bad decisions too? How long before his attorney comes out with a statement claiming Rice takes “full responsibility” for his actions in the assault of the photographer? Stay tuned.

Nice job playing the race card too. His being black had nothing to do with it in this case. He’s a high profile athlete with means. You act like the police were going to shoot him on site had he stayed and faced the consequences of his actions. His race has zero to do with the disgust people feel for his just walking away.
I'm not "acting like" anything. I also didn't say race had anything to do with peoples' reactions.

I also didn't say race had anything to do with peoples' reactions.
Why did you even include a reference to race in your post then? Seems odd to even mention it pertaining to this particular incident.

I've been thinking, the later your dynasty draft is, I think the more likely Worthy is gonna be pushed up boards by Rice's idiocy. It wouldn't blow my mind if we started seeing Worthy as high as 1.2.

I've been thinking, the later your dynasty draft is, I think the more likely Worthy is gonna be pushed up boards by Rice's idiocy. It wouldn't blow my mind if we started seeing Worthy as high as 1.2.
Yeah, starting to regret taking Bowers over Worthy even though I have great WRs across the board and had nothing behind Andrews. Talent and situation could make him truly special.

He would be 1.04 for me right now. Went 1.09 in our 16 teamer where a couple QBs went early. Wouldn't last that long now with the new Rice incident.

Last edited:
That might still be a stitch high, but in start-up drafts I could pretty easily imagine Worthy being taken before Rice.

Fun little quirk of the judicial system: while police reports can be used to bring charges against people, they can not be admitted as evidence to a trial being they qualify as hearsay. In order to get that information to the jury, an officer would need to testify to it. Obviously, if what's in the report is beneficial to the defendant, a prosecutor would not call that officer as a witness or would not question him in a way that opens the door for cross examination to use the report in order to impeach his statements in court. In other words, nothing you say to the police will ever be allowed to help you, it will only ever do nothing, or hurt you. It's the way the system is built. Have many friends who are officers, as well as kids of officers; they have all told me the same thing, if you're involved in an incident where there's even a chance you may be implicated in a crime, get a lawyer and do not talk to the police. It's what they teach their own kids as well. That's not to say never cooperate with them, but as I said, if there's a chance (or even if you get the feeling) that you're becoming the target of an investigation do not talk to the police and get a lawyer. This is not an indictment on officers, this is just the way our justice system operates and they are just doing the job they were trained to do. I do think it's important information not enough people understand though. And any officer you are close with will tell you the same. While Rice's situation goes way beyond this, just wanted to point out that in general not talking to police is not an indictment on someone's character. If anything it's a testament to their intelligence of the system and exercising their rights as a US citizen.

Fun little quirk of the judicial system: while police reports can be used to bring charges against people, they can not be admitted as evidence to a trial being they qualify as hearsay. In order to get that information to the jury, an officer would need to testify to it. Obviously, if what's in the report is beneficial to the defendant, a prosecutor would not call that officer as a witness or would not question him in a way that opens the door for cross examination to use the report in order to impeach his statements in court. In other words, nothing you say to the police will ever be allowed to help you, it will only ever do nothing, or hurt you. It's the way the system is built. Have many friends who are officers, as well as kids of officers; they have all told me the same thing, if you're involved in an incident where there's even a chance you may be implicated in a crime, get a lawyer and do not talk to the police. It's what they teach their own kids as well. That's not to say never cooperate with them, but as I said, if there's a chance (or even if you get the feeling) that you're becoming the target of an investigation do not talk to the police and get a lawyer. This is not an indictment on officers, this is just the way our justice system operates and they are just doing the job they were trained to do. I do think it's important information not enough people understand though. And any officer you are close with will tell you the same. While Rice's situation goes way beyond this, just wanted to point out that in general not talking to police is not an indictment on someone's character. If anything it's a testament to their intelligence of the system and exercising their rights as a US citizen.
OK, but he could have stuck around, checked on the safety of the people involved in the accident and still not talked to police when they showed up. Demanded a lawyer. I would have understood that. But just packing up your bags and taking off without checking if you injured or possibly even killed someone with your actions is what most people find disgusting.

Pretty solid assumption that he had a strong reason to just take off and hide out for 4 days. That's against the law. Not OK.

OK, but he could have stuck around, checked on the safety of the people involved in the accident and still not talked to police when they showed up. Demanded a lawyer. I would have understood that. But just packing up your bags and taking off without checking if you injured or possibly even killed someone with your actions is what most people find disgusting.

Pretty solid assumption that he had a strong reason to just take off and hide out for 4 days. That's against the law. Not OK.
No one is arguing against this.

There are two factors at play here, and they are both true:
1. Rice was completely wrong to flee the scene - it's a scumbag move, and the presumption can be made that he fled because he was [drunk/high/in possession of things he should not have possessed].

2. Rice probably did the smartest thing he could have done by fleeing the scene, because now all anyone can do is presume, which is easier to defend in court than being caught dead to rights drunk, high, or in possession of things he should not possessed.

Saying it was smart is not an endorsement of the action, nor does it suggest it was "good" for him to do. But of all the stupid things he did that night, that was arguably the smartest thing he could have done in the moment.

At the end of the day I'm not sure it will be a huge difference to the outcome, though PR-wise it's a little better for him, sort of.

No one is arguing against this.

There are two factors at play here, and they are both true:
1. Rice was completely wrong to flee the scene - it's a scumbag move, and the presumption can be made that he fled because he was [drunk/high/in possession of things he should not have possessed].

2. Rice probably did the smartest thing he could have done by fleeing the scene, because now all anyone can do is presume, which is easier to defend in court than being caught dead to rights drunk, high, or in possession of things he should not possessed.

Saying it was smart is not an endorsement of the action, nor does it suggest it was "good" for him to do. But of all the stupid things he did that night, that was arguably the smartest thing he could have done in the moment.

At the end of the day I'm not sure it will be a huge difference to the outcome, though PR-wise it's a little better for him, sort of.
It was the smart move if he was high or had been drinking and was worried he was above the limit. Or there were drugs in the car. Or maybe they had guns (as one witness claimed) that were not legally obtained. If none of these things were in play, it wasn’t really smart. Just take your medicine and not create a leaving the scene felony charge. But my guess is you are absolutely correct that it was the smart thing to do there because some or all of those things were in play.

Wonder if the gun he used to shoot up the car of the rival for his girlfriend’s affections was legally obtained? 🤔

Last edited:
Would a Rice suspension boost Worthy's value even higher than it already is just being paired with Mahomes? Or is there some worry the increase it touches won't balance out the increased attention from the defenses they face? He'd likely be facing more difficult matchups without Rice there. And even though it's hard, if not impossible, to quantify or know which category Worthy will fall into; but some rookies can't handle a ton of work too quickly, especially if they start hitting speed bumps. Can work negatively on the confidence and morale.

I wasn't a huge Worthy fan pre-draft so maybe that colors my view, but I'm in the boat where I don't know if Rice missing the season will help him all that much.

Would a Rice suspension boost Worthy's value even higher than it already is just being paired with Mahomes? Or is there some worry the increase it touches won't balance out the increased attention from the defenses they face? He'd likely be facing more difficult matchups without Rice there. And even though it's hard, if not impossible, to quantify or know which category Worthy will fall into; but some rookies can't handle a ton of work too quickly, especially if they start hitting speed bumps. Can work negatively on the confidence and morale.

I wasn't a huge Worthy fan pre-draft so maybe that colors my view, but I'm in the boat where I don't know if Rice missing the season will help him all that much.
I think it does. Less competition for targets seems like a good thing.

I'm in a similar boat as you, was not big on Worthy pre-draft and while the draft did increase his value to me I remain lower on him then consensus post -draft, view Worthy as a complementary player.

But I agree with what efactor just said, that less competition for targets is a plus. Also with a QB like Mahomes he'll generally help the efficiency, can't help everone(see Toney, Kadarious) but if he has to rely on Worthy more it's hard to not think he'll make it work and that's a temporary aid to Worthy, though I think it will help Marquise Brown more this year.

Seeing a bunch of tweets today after the opener has been announced saying we are 115 days away from opening kickoff.

Just randomly made me think that it's only been 92 days since the SB, not even halfway through the off-season, which is a bit of a depressing thought tbh but just made me realize that we are not even halfway through the off-season and he already has two incidencts, that we know about and he's still a long way from being back in the structure of the season.

But the officer could be called as a witness by the defense I assume, right? In such a case as you describe, where there is a police report with mitigating information that isn't allowable.

And even be careful when making a phone call after being charged. My wife's son called us at 3 in the morning saying he had been arrested. As she's talking to him, I'm online trying to find a lawyer for him and the 24 guys says for him to stop talking, don't say anything as it cannot help him only hurt him. I'm yelling to my wife to tell him to STFU. The police are not there to help you. Do not listen to them. STFU and get a lawyer.

He’ll still be behind Kelce for targets though. Just sayin, perspective is important.

Chiefs also spread the ball around.

And whatever happens to Rice, I don’t expect it to be career-ending, so at some point even more competition for touches.

I don’t mind paying a little more for rice in redraft, but dynasty I’m avoiding the situation.

But the officer could be called as a witness by the defense I assume, right? In such a case as you describe, where there is a police report with mitigating information that isn't allowable.
Unfortunately no. They could be called, but none of their testimony would be admitted due to being hearsay. IANAL so the finer details of how it's not hearsay when they are testifying for the prosecution starts to get fuzzy for me. I just know that its the case, and one of the primary reasons why lawyers will always tell their clients to never speak to police. There is absolutely 0 upside. And this is without even dipping into the fact they are allowed to lie and use deceit while questioning someone, and are often trained to incorporate several mental and physical tactics in order to make detainees as uncomfortable as possible in order to elicit responses they guide them towards. It'd be like a guy who works out on the weekends getting into the ring with Tyson or Mayweather. The police will have every advantage possible, the most relevant just being experience (and a lot of legal protections they are fully aware of, where most civies have 0 clue what their own are).

He’ll still be behind Kelce for targets though. Just sayin, perspective is important.

And whatever happens to Rice, I don’t expect it to be career-ending, so at some point even more competition for touches.

I don’t mind paying a little more for rice in redraft, but dynasty I’m avoiding the situation.
I would take Kadarius Toney and Skyy Moore over Rice in redraft. Rice ain't playing at all in 2024.

I would avoid him in dynasty too. He's too stupid to stay out of trouble, and will never play another snap in the NFL. He will make headlines again for something new before he ever gets a chance to step back on the field.

I would take Kadarius Toney and Skyy Moore over Rice in redraft. Rice ain't playing at all in 2024.

I would avoid him in dynasty too. He's too stupid to stay out of trouble, and will never play another snap in the NFL. He will make headlines again for something new before he ever gets a chance to step back on the field.
Yep. He’s a hard pass to me in every format at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread