What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WTF? Packers offer Favre 20m to stay retired. (1 Viewer)

teamroc

Footballguy
ESPN

The guy is better then Rodgers. Welcome him back, start him week 1. 20m? Seriously? You really want Rodgers to start that badly? Favre is really that awful? Instead of cut/trade him, you'd rather blow 20 mil to keep him away. Sorry this whole thing is just bizarre. I'm not sure how they can sell that to Packers fans.

Favre wanted to come back, we paid him 20m to stay away, let the Rodgers era begin! If the Packers start 0-2, they might have to offer Favre another 20mil to come back and start week 3.

I'm not sure if Favre should be insulted or happy to get a 20m retirement gift. This isn't NBA guys being paid to go home. They are bums who are cancers. Favre is an elite QB, had a monster year last year, and you're dying to get rid of him. Ego has to be playing a huge part in this, and I'm still shocked the Packers haven't woken up and just welcomed him back. 20m, that has to be complete unheard of in the NFL. Has anyone ever been paid to go away? That kind of lump sum? Bizarre.

ESPN

The guy is better then Rodgers. Welcome him back, start him week 1. 20m? Seriously? You really want Rodgers to start that badly? Favre is really that awful? Instead of cut/trade him, you'd rather blow 20 mil to keep him away. Sorry this whole thing is just bizarre. I'm not sure how they can sell that to Packers fans.

Favre wanted to come back, we paid him 20m to stay away, let the Rodgers era begin! If the Packers start 0-2, they might have to offer Favre another 20mil to come back and start week 3.

I'm not sure if Favre should be insulted or happy to get a 20m retirement gift. This isn't NBA guys being paid to go home. They are bums who are cancers. Favre is an elite QB, had a monster year last year, and you're dying to get rid of him. Ego has to be playing a huge part in this, and I'm still shocked the Packers haven't woken up and just welcomed him back. 20m, that has to be complete unheard of in the NFL. Has anyone ever been paid to go away? That kind of lump sum? Bizarre.
:o we needed a new Favre thread thanks. The other 45 didn't quite feel like enough.

Cited unnamed sources close to Favre. :o

I'm sick and tired of this unnamed sources schtick. This doesn't sould believable.

ESPN

Its funny you complain about the Farve post but, fell compelled to read it and post on it. :rolleyes: :sarcasm:

IMHO, this was the stupid move that sways public opinion against the Packers. Favre will look like the good guy for saying no to 20 million, just so he can play.

Wow.

IMHO, this was the stupid move that sways public opinion against the Packers. Favre will look like the good guy for saying no to 20 million, just so he can play.Wow.
Absolutely. Complete last ditch effort from the Packers. He stands to make 12 million this year, I am sure the idea of playing in the NFL and possibly winning a championship is worth 8 million dollars to him over the next 10 years. There's also the outside, outside chance he could want to stay for more than one year, though I think that is very, very unlikely, he'd stand to make much more money from that than taking a payoff AND he'd get to do what he enjoys.What a complete joke that they ever acted as if his legacy was one of their concerns. Yes, I am certain Favre wanted to have "extorted $20 million dollars from my team when I threatened them to come out of retirement" added on to his list of accomplishments.

Wow and they offered R Grant under 2mill for his contract.. I bet this makes him feel even better. I dont see him playing this season the way it looks. The Pack will finish in the back of the pack. :mellow:

Countdown to Sho Nuff coming in here and spinning this to make Favre look like the devil and the Packers look like Mother Theresa. :shrug:

What don't people understand about this? This has absolutely nothing to do with the way Favre played last year. The Packers feel he is on the decline, they don't think he can play like he did last year for 1 or 2 more years. Everyone talks about last year, but noone mentions the 2 years before that when he was, in all honesty, an average qb. During the season everyone gave McCarthy credit for reeling in Favre and for his great game plans, etc. Where is that credit now? The fact of the matter is the Packers organization is doing this for several reasons:

1.) They truly feel Favre is starting to decline, and when it happens it goes quick (See: McNair)

2.) He wasn't much of a team player to begin with, and the Packers are hell bent on chemistry and "Packer people". Favre repeatedly asked to skip mini-camps, dressed in a seperate locker room, etc.

3.) The guy is high maitenance. How many comments in the past few off-seasons has this go made. The Moss trade, the Wahle and Rivera releases, the Walker comments, the will I or won't I retire.

4.) The Packers organization is sick of Favre determining their direction. For the past few seasons, he has waited to retire, which was a problem. Now he retires and then un-retires.

5.) They don't feel he is truly committed. 3 months after being a play away from the Super Bowl (which apparently is all Favre plays for) he decides he is too tired to play the following year. That doesn't exactly sound like the warrior and leader you want guiding your team. In addition to that he changed his mind once again after that.

6.) He bashed the general manager on national television, and leaked private conversations to the media. Keep it in house Brett. That is rule #1. The Packers organization cannot have its players publicly questioning and dismissing its leadership

7.) He doesn't want to play for Green Bay. The guy asked for his release, reportedly to go sign with the Vikings.

Why would the Packers want back an on-the-verge of retirement (the guy is not going to play until he is 41) who has not been fully dedicated, publicly bashed the leader of your organization (who was just named Executive of the year), and has stated he wants to go play for your #1 rival in the division. That doesn't sound like someone committed to the organization, that sounds like someone out for their own.

One last thing, let's all remember Favre has an addictive personality. I think this plays into the longing for the spotlight and the need to be wanted and talked about.

Last edited by a moderator:
What don't people understand about this? This has absolutely nothing to do with the way Favre played last year. The Packers feel he is on the decline, they don't think he can play like he did last year for 1 or 2 more years. Everyone talks about last year, but noone mentions the 2 years before that when he was, in all honesty, an average qb. During the season everyone gave McCarthy credit for reeling in Favre and for his great game plans, etc. Where is that credit now? The fact of the matter is the Packers organization is doing this for several reasons:1.) They truly feel Favre is starting to decline, and when it happens it goes quick (See: McNair)2.) He wasn't much of a team player to begin with, and the Packers are hell bent on chemistry and "Packer people". Favre repeatedly asked to skip mini-camps, dressed in a seperate locker room, etc.3.) The guy is high maitenance. How many comments in the past few off-seasons has this go made. The Moss trade, the Wahle and Rivera releases, the Walker comments, the will I or won't I retire. 4.) The Packers organization is sick of Favre determining their direction. For the past few seasons, he has waited to retire, which was a problem. Now he retires and then un-retires. 5.) They don't feel he is truly committed. 3 months after being a play away from the Super Bowl (which apparently is all Favre plays for) he decides he is too tired to play the following year. The doesn't exactly sound like the warrior and leader you won't guiding your team. In addition to that he changed his mind once agains after that.6.) He bashed the general manager on national television, and leaked private conversations to the media. Keep it in house Brett. That is rule #1. The Packers organization cannot have its players publicly questioning and dismissing its leadership7.) He doesn't want to play for Green Bay. The guy asked for his release, reportedly to go sign with the Vikings.Why would the Packers want back an on-the-verge of retirement (the guy is not going to play until he is 41) who has not been fully dedicated, publicly bashed the leader of your organization (who was just named Executive of the year), and has stated he wants to go play for your #1 rival in the division. That doesn't sound like someone committed to the organization, that sounds like someone out for their own.One last thing, let's all remember Favre has an addictive personality. I think this plays into the longing for the spotlight and the need to be wanted and talked about.
So trade him to Vikings or release him.

What don't people understand about this? This has absolutely nothing to do with the way Favre played last year. The Packers feel he is on the decline, they don't think he can play like he did last year for 1 or 2 more years. Everyone talks about last year, but noone mentions the 2 years before that when he was, in all honesty, an average qb. During the season everyone gave McCarthy credit for reeling in Favre and for his great game plans, etc. Where is that credit now? The fact of the matter is the Packers organization is doing this for several reasons:1.) They truly feel Favre is starting to decline, and when it happens it goes quick (See: McNair)2.) He wasn't much of a team player to begin with, and the Packers are hell bent on chemistry and "Packer people". Favre repeatedly asked to skip mini-camps, dressed in a seperate locker room, etc.3.) The guy is high maitenance. How many comments in the past few off-seasons has this go made. The Moss trade, the Wahle and Rivera releases, the Walker comments, the will I or won't I retire. 4.) The Packers organization is sick of Favre determining their direction. For the past few seasons, he has waited to retire, which was a problem. Now he retires and then un-retires. 5.) They don't feel he is truly committed. 3 months after being a play away from the Super Bowl (which apparently is all Favre plays for) he decides he is too tired to play the following year. That doesn't exactly sound like the warrior and leader you want guiding your team. In addition to that he changed his mind once again after that.6.) He bashed the general manager on national television, and leaked private conversations to the media. Keep it in house Brett. That is rule #1. The Packers organization cannot have its players publicly questioning and dismissing its leadership7.) He doesn't want to play for Green Bay. The guy asked for his release, reportedly to go sign with the Vikings.Why would the Packers want back an on-the-verge of retirement (the guy is not going to play until he is 41) who has not been fully dedicated, publicly bashed the leader of your organization (who was just named Executive of the year), and has stated he wants to go play for your #1 rival in the division. That doesn't sound like someone committed to the organization, that sounds like someone out for their own.One last thing, let's all remember Favre has an addictive personality. I think this plays into the longing for the spotlight and the need to be wanted and talked about.
SO.... Just so we are clear. You think it was a good idea to offer 20mil to stay retired? Instead of just releasing him? Because either you mean what you posted and think he is not valuable and should be cut which means you also think the 20mil thing was stupid of them to offer, or you wasted 10 minutes typing the above?which is it?

What don't people understand about this? This has absolutely nothing to do with the way Favre played last year. The Packers feel he is on the decline, they don't think he can play like he did last year for 1 or 2 more years. Everyone talks about last year, but noone mentions the 2 years before that when he was, in all honesty, an average qb. During the season everyone gave McCarthy credit for reeling in Favre and for his great game plans, etc. Where is that credit now? The fact of the matter is the Packers organization is doing this for several reasons:1.) They truly feel Favre is starting to decline, and when it happens it goes quick (See: McNair)2.) He wasn't much of a team player to begin with, and the Packers are hell bent on chemistry and "Packer people". Favre repeatedly asked to skip mini-camps, dressed in a seperate locker room, etc.3.) The guy is high maitenance. How many comments in the past few off-seasons has this go made. The Moss trade, the Wahle and Rivera releases, the Walker comments, the will I or won't I retire. 4.) The Packers organization is sick of Favre determining their direction. For the past few seasons, he has waited to retire, which was a problem. Now he retires and then un-retires. 5.) They don't feel he is truly committed. 3 months after being a play away from the Super Bowl (which apparently is all Favre plays for) he decides he is too tired to play the following year. That doesn't exactly sound like the warrior and leader you want guiding your team. In addition to that he changed his mind once again after that.6.) He bashed the general manager on national television, and leaked private conversations to the media. Keep it in house Brett. That is rule #1. The Packers organization cannot have its players publicly questioning and dismissing its leadership7.) He doesn't want to play for Green Bay. The guy asked for his release, reportedly to go sign with the Vikings.Why would the Packers want back an on-the-verge of retirement (the guy is not going to play until he is 41) who has not been fully dedicated, publicly bashed the leader of your organization (who was just named Executive of the year), and has stated he wants to go play for your #1 rival in the division. That doesn't sound like someone committed to the organization, that sounds like someone out for their own.One last thing, let's all remember Favre has an addictive personality. I think this plays into the longing for the spotlight and the need to be wanted and talked about.
SO.... Just so we are clear. You think it was a good idea to offer 20mil to stay retired? Instead of just releasing him? Because either you mean what you posted and think he is not valuable and should be cut which means you also think the 20mil thing was stupid of them to offer, or you wasted 10 minutes typing the above?which is it?
I don't think they should just release him, that's bad business. I never said Favre wasn't valuable, I just don't think people have clear understanding on what the Packers position is. I think they should trade him, but here's the problem. Even though Favre went on Fox news and spun his side of the story, about how he understands he put the team in a tough spot, and he justs want to play, they guy refuses to give the Packers a list of teams he would accept a trade to. He refuses to answer or return phone calls from the Jets and Bucs. What is this guy's motivation? He is pretty much taking the stance, trade me to Minnesota, release me so I can sign with Minnesota, or I will come into your camp and make life misearable for you. The Packers have the money. If they want to offer the guy $20 million to stay retired, go ahead. They would have to pay him $12 million to sit on the bench. I think this thing has gotten personal, which is why they sent Murphy.

What don't people understand about this? This has absolutely nothing to do with the way Favre played last year. The Packers feel he is on the decline, they don't think he can play like he did last year for 1 or 2 more years. Everyone talks about last year, but noone mentions the 2 years before that when he was, in all honesty, an average qb. During the season everyone gave McCarthy credit for reeling in Favre and for his great game plans, etc. Where is that credit now? The fact of the matter is the Packers organization is doing this for several reasons:

1.) They truly feel Favre is starting to decline, and when it happens it goes quick (See: McNair)

2.) He wasn't much of a team player to begin with, and the Packers are hell bent on chemistry and "Packer people". Favre repeatedly asked to skip mini-camps, dressed in a seperate locker room, etc.

3.) The guy is high maitenance. How many comments in the past few off-seasons has this go made. The Moss trade, the Wahle and Rivera releases, the Walker comments, the will I or won't I retire.

4.) The Packers organization is sick of Favre determining their direction. For the past few seasons, he has waited to retire, which was a problem. Now he retires and then un-retires.

5.) They don't feel he is truly committed. 3 months after being a play away from the Super Bowl (which apparently is all Favre plays for) he decides he is too tired to play the following year. That doesn't exactly sound like the warrior and leader you want guiding your team. In addition to that he changed his mind once again after that.

6.) He bashed the general manager on national television, and leaked private conversations to the media. Keep it in house Brett. That is rule #1. The Packers organization cannot have its players publicly questioning and dismissing its leadership

7.) He doesn't want to play for Green Bay. The guy asked for his release, reportedly to go sign with the Vikings.

Why would the Packers want back an on-the-verge of retirement (the guy is not going to play until he is 41) who has not been fully dedicated, publicly bashed the leader of your organization (who was just named Executive of the year), and has stated he wants to go play for your #1 rival in the division. That doesn't sound like someone committed to the organization, that sounds like someone out for their own.

One last thing, let's all remember Favre has an addictive personality. I think this plays into the longing for the spotlight and the need to be wanted and talked about.
SO.... Just so we are clear. You think it was a good idea to offer 20mil to stay retired? Instead of just releasing him? Because either you mean what you posted and think he is not valuable and should be cut which means you also think the 20mil thing was stupid of them to offer, or you wasted 10 minutes typing the above?

which is it?
26 User(s) are reading this topic (12 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)14 Members: benm3218, ScottyFargo, a_troll00, gruecd, GreenNGold, Unwrittenlaw, Organized Chaos, stedman, jurrassic, fflnut, Rolling Rock Drinker, Baron Samedi, towney, kc_syndicate

I imagine jurrassic furiously typing right now...

I don't think they should just release him, that's bad business. I never said Favre wasn't valuable, I just don't think people have clear understanding on what the Packers position is. I think they should trade him, but here's the problem. Even though Favre went on Fox news and spun his side of the story, about how he understands he put the team in a tough spot, and he justs want to play, they guy refuses to give the Packers a list of teams he would accept a trade to. He refuses to answer or return phone calls from the Jets and Bucs. What is this guy's motivation? He is pretty much taking the stance, trade me to Minnesota, release me so I can sign with Minnesota, or I will come into your camp and make life misearable for you. The Packers have the money. If they want to offer the guy $20 million to stay retired, go ahead. They would have to pay him $12 million to sit on the bench. I think this thing has gotten personal, which is why they sent Murphy.
in your post you had several points about favres decline and how he isnt really that good.... if so, then why pay 20mil to sit? If you beleive that then you think it was dumb to offer this. You cant have it both ways. You are being illogocal.

I am amazed that people aren't fed up with the ego and attention this guy needs.

I am Packers fans, and I followed and cheered for this guy for the last 16 years, and I can't stand him anymore. How is that possible for a Packers fan and fans from rival teams actually think this guy is handling it in the right way.

Maybe he should stop leaking every single story to the press.

in your post you had several points about favres decline and how he isnt really that good.... if so, then why pay 20mil to sit? If you beleive that then you think it was dumb to offer this. You cant have it both ways. You are being illogocal.
That is the Packers position, which has been reported several times in the local media here. I think Favre could help a team. I still think he has talent, but the Packers under Thompson have always taken the "get rid of him a year early, as opposed to a year late" philosophy. In all honesty, I think they would trade him to a division rival, but the PR is holding them back. That is the reason for the $20 million. It is essentially hush money.

That is the Packers position, which has been reported several times in the local media here. I think Favre could help a team. I still think he has talent, but the Packers under Thompson have always taken the "get rid of him a year early, as opposed to a year late" philosophy. In all honesty, I think they would trade him to a division rival, but the PR is holding them back. That is the reason for the $20 million. It is essentially hush money.
I can not imagine a situation where it is better PR to offer Brett Favre a payoff over trading him, even if it were to the Vikings and they won a Superbowl. That is ridiculous and insulting.

So you agree it is a bad and poor decision by them. If they really feel those things.This is very simple.Either you are correct when you said: The Packers feel he is on the decline, they don't think he can play like he did last year for 1 or 2 more years. Everyone talks about last year, but noone mentions the 2 years before that when he was, in all honesty, an average qb. During the season everyone gave McCarthy credit for reeling in Favre and for his great game plans, etc. Where is that credit now?1.) They truly feel Favre is starting to decline, and when it happens it goes quick (See: McNair)If this is true then they don't need to waste 20mil on paying him to sit. It is asinine.Or you are just trying to defend an indefendable position being taken by the Packers.

I am amazed that people aren't fed up with the ego and attention this guy needs. I am Packers fans, and I followed and cheered for this guy for the last 16 years, and I can't stand him anymore. How is that possible for a Packers fan and fans from rival teams actually think this guy is handling it in the right way. Maybe he should stop leaking every single story to the press.
Perhaps Favre should offer the team 20 million to release him? Would he then be handling it better? What a joke! Of course EVERYBODY is sick of him. But he's got a right to stand up for himself. When he's reinstated, cut, keep, or trade him. Obviously it is more important to the Packers that they don't have to do ANY of those options so they tried to bribe him to stay home. Please. Atleast some Packer fans have enough tact to be embarrassed by that.

I can not imagine a situation where it is better PR to offer Brett Favre a payoff over trading him, even if it were to the Vikings and they won a Superbowl. That is ridiculous and insulting.
I completely disagree. In 2 months everyone will have forgot about the payoff. Favre on the Vikings will play out everyday for the next 1-2 years.

Mort made a lot of sense this morning...

It's Brett's turn at the chess board now. All Brett has to do is show up at Packers camp. Packers then have three choices:

*** Trade him

*** Release him

*** Keep him

They clearly don't want to keep him. When the team president flies to see you and beg you not to show up to training camp, and allegedly offers to pay you $20mm to sit home, they don't want you.

They clearly don't want to release him because he'll hop right over to a division foe and sign with them. The thought of Favre leading the Bears or Vikings to an NFC North crown would be an absolute PR nightmare for the Packers.

Which leaves, trade him. This is the Packers legitimate out. Just because Favre doesn't want to play for the Jets or Tampa Bay, why should Green Bay care? They are under no obligation to honor his trade terms and can trade him for peanuts and let this be someone else's headache. The rationale would be that Brett would "threaten to stay retired" if he doesn't get to play for his choice of teams. In which case, he looks like the bad guy.

I completely disagree. In 2 months everyone will have forgot about the payoff. Favre on the Vikings will play out everyday for the next 1-2 years.
You are completely wrong. That will be an indelible mark on the legacy of the franchise.

Mort made a lot of sense this morning...It's Brett's turn at the chess board now. All Brett has to do is show up at Packers camp. Packers then have three choices:*** Trade him*** Release him*** Keep him They clearly don't want to keep him. When the team president flies to see you and beg you not to show up to training camp, and allegedly offers to pay you $20mm to sit home, they don't want you.They clearly don't want to release him because he'll hop right over to a division foe and sign with them. The thought of Favre leading the Bears or Vikings to an NFC North crown would be an absolute PR nightmare for the Packers.Which leaves, trade him. This is the Packers legitimate out. Just because Favre doesn't want to play for the Jets or Tampa Bay, why should Green Bay care? They are under no obligation to honor his trade terms and can trade him for peanuts and let this be someone else's headache. The rationale would be that Brett would "threaten to stay retired" if he doesn't get to play for his choice of teams. In which case, he looks like the bad guy.
The ticker on ESPN mentioned a source (in the Green Bay Packers, I thought, only saw it once) that it was now possible that the Packers might listen to offers from NFCN teams. Again, I don't see how things could get any worse than things are now.

SO.... Just so we are clear. You think it was a good idea to offer 20mil to stay retired? Instead of just releasing him? Because either you mean what you posted and think he is not valuable and should be cut which means you also think the 20mil thing was stupid of them to offer, or you wasted 10 minutes typing the above?

which is it?
I don't think they should just release him, that's bad business. I never said Favre wasn't valuable, I just don't think people have clear understanding on what the Packers position is. I think they should trade him, but here's the problem. Even though Favre went on Fox news and spun his side of the story, about how he understands he put the team in a tough spot, and he justs want to play, they guy refuses to give the Packers a list of teams he would accept a trade to. He refuses to answer or return phone calls from the Jets and Bucs. What is this guy's motivation? He is pretty much taking the stance, trade me to Minnesota, release me so I can sign with Minnesota, or I will come into your camp and make life misearable for you. The Packers have the money. If they want to offer the guy $20 million to stay retired, go ahead. They would have to pay him $12 million to sit on the bench. think this thing has gotten personal, which is why they sent Murphy.
yet they don't like picking guys up in free agency and they lowball their starting running back :lol:

does anybody still think it's favre that's looking like the bad guy here?

to me, the packers organization is increasingly looking like a bunch of scared little weenies.

I am amazed that people aren't fed up with the ego and attention this guy needs. I am Packers fans, and I followed and cheered for this guy for the last 16 years, and I can't stand him anymore. How is that possible for a Packers fan and fans from rival teams actually think this guy is handling it in the right way. Maybe he should stop leaking every single story to the press.
Perhaps Favre should offer the team 20 million to release him? Would he then be handling it better? What a joke! Of course EVERYBODY is sick of him. But he's got a right to stand up for himself. When he's reinstated, cut, keep, or trade him. Obviously it is more important to the Packers that they don't have to do ANY of those options so they tried to bribe him to stay home. Please. Atleast some Packer fans have enough tact to be embarrassed by that.
Embarrassed? Why would I be embarrassed for the actions of a bunch of millionaries, who I don't know and don't know me. Where you embarrassed when Chumura was involved in the hot tub scandal. This has nothing to do with me. It is what it is. Were Titans fans embarrassed when the team locked McNair out of the facility? It's a business. I think fans are taking this more personally then the players. Look, all I did was re-state points that local media has made in why the Packers don't want Favre back. They aren't my points. I could care less quite honestly. Trade him or release to Minnesota. That really wouldn't bother me. The guy is the property of the Packers. They could, in all seriousness, have him report to camp and deactivate him for the whole season if they wanted to. The whole situation has been handled poorly. I just think the Packers are offering a one lump buyout clause to get him to go away. Is it the right decision, no, but I think it is the last stop before they start fielding offers from the Bears and Vikings.

does anybody still think it's favre that's looking like the bad guy here?to me, the packers organization is increasingly looking like a bunch of scared little weenies.
Exactly, which is why they need to call his bluff and trade him to a team that's inquired. If playing football is really all he cares about, they'll be rid of him and he'll play for said team. But if he really wants to play for one or two SPECIFIC teams or would rather stay retired, let's let him show his cards. Imagine if GB trades him to Tampa and then he says, "I'm not going to play, I'll stay retired." Then he looks like an #####. Right now, that's about the only way I can see GB not looking really badly here.What's funny is that in all their maneuvers to protect Aaron Rodgers here as their franchise QB, they are ultimately putting MORE pressure on him. If (when) Favre plays in 2008 somewhere else, every week it's going to be about whether Rodgers outplays him. It won't be Green Bay that's losing games, it will be Aaron Rodgers. It won't be Brett Favre's new team that's playing well, it will be Brett Favre that is carrying the team. If the Packers don't outperform Favre's new team (assuming he ends up somewhere), the pressure on Rodgers and Ted Thompson will be ENORMOUS.

Embarrassed? Why would I be embarrassed for the actions of a bunch of millionaries, who I don't know and don't know me. Where you embarrassed when Chumura was involved in the hot tub scandal. This has nothing to do with me. It is what it is. Were Titans fans embarrassed when the team locked McNair out of the facility? It's a business. I think fans are taking this more personally then the players. Look, all I did was re-state points that local media has made in why the Packers don't want Favre back. They aren't my points. I could care less quite honestly. Trade him or release to Minnesota. That really wouldn't bother me. The guy is the property of the Packers. They could, in all seriousness, have him report to camp and deactivate him for the whole season if they wanted to. The whole situation has been handled poorly. I just think the Packers are offering a one lump buyout clause to get him to go away. Is it the right decision, no, but I think it is the last stop before they start fielding offers from the Bears and Vikings.
So, why do posters like you come in here and defend the Packers like crazy then when pressed say it is a poor decision???They don't need you to defend them if they are WRONG.

does anybody still think it's favre that's looking like the bad guy here?to me, the packers organization is increasingly looking like a bunch of scared little weenies.
I still think he looks bad. But I understand his stance to a degree. He wants to play again. He wants to be a starter. He wants to be on a team that can compete for the Super Bowl now. Those all make sense and any competitor would want that. The Packers are one of those teams. But they don't want him. So he wants to go to another place where he those conditions are met. I don't have an issue with that. Makes sense to me. I have an issue with him fighting this in media. Some of the things going on now, like the $20m payoff, should be in the media. But he's been releasing things to the media since this started and that's a bush league move.

So, why do posters like you come in here and defend the Packers like crazy then when pressed say it is a poor decision???They don't need you to defend them if they are WRONG.
I don't think they are wrong for not wanting him back. I just think they are wrong for offering him $20 million. I think they should trade his rights to the Bucs for a conditional 6th round pick and be done with it.

I don't think they are wrong for not wanting him back. I just think they are wrong for offering him $20 million. I think they should trade his rights to the Bucs for a conditional 6th round pick and be done with it.
The Bucs OR Jets likely would have already traded for him if they had even the slightest feeling that Favre would play for them. I believe that in taking no action so far, they are showing that they don't want to get involved, even for a low round draft price. That kind of scenario would just be the Bucs or Jets pulling the Packers fat out of the fire, and putting themselves in harms way. I think if that's true, they are just going to let the Packers deal with this mess.

Exactly, which is why they need to call his bluff and trade him to a team that's inquired. If playing football is really all he cares about, they'll be rid of him and he'll play for said team. But if he really wants to play for one or two SPECIFIC teams or would rather stay retired, let's let him show his cards. Imagine if GB trades him to Tampa and then he says, "I'm not going to play, I'll stay retired." Then he looks like an #####. Right now, that's about the only way I can see GB not looking really badly here.What's funny is that in all their maneuvers to protect Aaron Rodgers here as their franchise QB, they are ultimately putting MORE pressure on him. If (when) Favre plays in 2008 somewhere else, every week it's going to be about whether Rodgers outplays him. It won't be Green Bay that's losing games, it will be Aaron Rodgers. It won't be Brett Favre's new team that's playing well, it will be Brett Favre that is carrying the team. If the Packers don't outperform Favre's new team (assuming he ends up somewhere), the pressure on Rodgers and Ted Thompson will be ENORMOUS.
good point. until they lower the asking price to get a deal done, i think they will just keep looking worse.the story's not about brett being a prima donna anymore.it's about the the packers asking for way too much for a QB that they don't want and possibly offering him $20 mill. b/c they are so scared to play against him. rodgers better be really, really good.if favre does indeed retire b/c he doesn't like the situation he's getting traded too, he will look like a schmuck.

Do you think Thompson is turning down offers? I am sure he would take a late second day pick from any AFC team today without hesitation. All reports I've seen indicate no team has made any offer for Favre or shown any interest in a trade, and Favre has refused to provide any indication of any team he would be willing to play for other than the Packers. He won't even speak with Tampa or NYJets. Why would any team consider trading for Favre at any price and taking on this huge circus during their training camp unless he was comitted to them?The obvious conclusion here is that Favre wants to be released. He is clearly putting himself above the team, its fans and his teamates.As for the report of $20MM offer to "stay away" - I'll wait to hear something from the team on that before I believe it. Favre's agent and other reps have shown they have no problem to distort the truth and lie. The Packers had to know that Favre's camp would leak this info to the press and spin it hard, yet they continue to take the high road in the press, much to their detriment in my opinion.

until they lower the asking price to get a deal done, i think they will just keep looking worse.the story's not about brett being a prima donna anymore.it's about the the packers asking for way too much for a QB that they don't want and possibly offering him $20 mill. b/c they are so scared to play against him. rodgers better be really, really good.if favre does indeed retire b/c he doesn't like the situation he's getting traded too, he will look like a schmuck.
how do you know what the Packers are asking for Favre?

As for the report of $20MM offer to "stay away" - I'll wait to hear something from the team on that before I believe it. Favre's agent and other reps have shown they have no problem to distort the truth and lie. The Packers had to know that Favre's camp would leak this info to the press and spin it hard, yet they continue to take the high road in the press, much to their detriment in my opinion.
I think you mean Packers management have shown they have no problem to distort the truth and lie.The more that comes out, the more Favre has been telling the truth and TT has not.I just hope Favre is still on the team on Sunday night for the Packer's family game night. I want to hear 60,000+ fans chanting "BRING BACK BRETT"

Last edited by a moderator:
does anybody still think it's favre that's looking like the bad guy here?

to me, the packers organization is increasingly looking like a bunch of scared little weenies.
I still think he looks bad. But I understand his stance to a degree. He wants to play again. He wants to be a starter. He wants to be on a team that can compete for the Super Bowl now. Those all make sense and any competitor would want that. The Packers are one of those teams. But they don't want him. So he wants to go to another place where he those conditions are met. I don't have an issue with that. Makes sense to me. I have an issue with him fighting this in media. Some of the things going on now, like the $20m payoff, should be in the media. But he's been releasing things to the media since this started and that's a bush league move.
He gave them 15/16 years. He made them relevant again. W/O Brett Favre, the Packers would probably still be bottom feeders. Now they won't even let him compete for his job? Favre has always been a guy who says what he thinks. If somebody asks his opinion, he gives it. I'm not in the camp that thinks there is anything wrong with that.They are playing their cards, he is playing his. IMHO, the Packers should have accepted him back to compete for the starters job. The best player starts. All this crap about hurting Aaron Rogers is crap. Steve Young sat for years and years and he's now in the HOF. If Aaron Rogers sitting behind Brett Favre for another year will hurt him to the point where it ruins him, then he doesn't have what it takes in the first place.

:moneybag: i'll say it again, Favre caused this and he knows this. Was willing to compete, but Ted Thompson and Mark Murphy have REALLY screwed the pooch here and contiue to make the franchise look worse and worse.Imagine the Chicago Bulls doing this to Michael Jordan. Wouldn't have happened, and i guarandamntee you if Ron Wolf and Bob Harlan were running the ship this crap wouldn't be going on.

The Packers aren't looking too good with this, but lets be honest - this is one of the most bizarre incidents in the history of sports! They have to go to work each day going - "What now!?" Nobody could envision a scenario like this! I don't know how this thing ends up, but I don't think you could make up something like this and have anyone believe it.

Do you think Thompson is turning down offers? I am sure he would take a late second day pick from any AFC team today without hesitation. All reports I've seen indicate no team has made any offer for Favre or shown any interest in a trade, and Favre has refused to provide any indication of any team he would be willing to play for other than the Packers. He won't even speak with Tampa or NYJets. Why would any team consider trading for Favre at any price and taking on this huge circus during their training camp unless he was comitted to them?The obvious conclusion here is that Favre wants to be released. He is clearly putting himself above the team, its fans and his teamates.
yep no one is going to give anything for him if he won't even talk to them, especially with his salary. They are stuck with him (I actually think Favre would come back and compete for his job if they let him) or they have to release him.

until they lower the asking price to get a deal done, i think they will just keep looking worse.the story's not about brett being a prima donna anymore.it's about the the packers asking for way too much for a QB that they don't want and possibly offering him $20 mill. b/c they are so scared to play against him. rodgers better be really, really good.if favre does indeed retire b/c he doesn't like the situation he's getting traded too, he will look like a schmuck.
how do you know what the Packers are asking for Favre?
i don't know what they are asking.i've heard they want a 1st or a 2nd, but i don't know.just like anything else, the definition of market value is the amount someone is willing to pay. since favre hasn't been traded yet, by definition, they are asking too much.even though i don't know what they are asking, i know that they will need to lower their asking price to get it done.obviously there are other factors involved with why favre hasn't been traded yet:1-because of the way the pack. has handled this, teams know that the packers have to unload favre. the packers are loosing trade leverage by the day, so teams aren't going to break the bank to get him if they think that won't be necessary2-teams are unsure if favre will be willing to play for them.based on what we are hearing, favre hasn't said he wouldn't play for the jets or bucs, but it sounds like he'd prefer to play for the vikings or packers. personally, i think he's just pursuing his primary options before exploring others. i think he's banking on packers being forced to do something, increasing his chances of going to the vikings.i'm not saying favre is innocent in all of this, just that he will look that way if the packers don't make a deal to a non-viking team very, very soon. i don't know what they are asking, but they have no leverage at all. giving him away for anything is the smartest move at this point, imo. i don't think they are doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread