What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yahoo Down? (1 Viewer)

I am dreading hearing a bunch of flack from the players in the two leagues I commish.

In the 5 years I've used yahoo, this year it has been plagued with by far the most problems.

From drafts collapsing to glitchy scoring problem and now onto this.

The timing of the crash couldn't have been worse.

Note to yahoo: If you're going to continue to get cute marketing your site, you are going to get MORE TRAFFIC.

Adjust accordingly or get ready for a mass exodus.

Hey, at least they've fixed the stattracker. That thing used to crash every other week. It's been pretty reliable this year.

Hey, at least they've fixed the stattracker. That thing used to crash every other week. It's been pretty reliable this year.
For some reason it does this weird pulsing thing for me on Chrome, but works fine when using Firefox.

This is the first time I have had trouble with yahoo. Of course it was the first time since the beginning of the season I was not home for kick off... figures. This is going to be one heck of a snafu to unravel!

Fantasy football is about the only reason I ever go to Yahoo and I'm probably not alone. This is their cash cow and they're killing it.

They even shut down the HELP boards for fantasy football... come on man. If your having issues, FINE but let us know what the flipflap is going on!!!

'Hybrid said:
'Quibbler said:
For some reason it does this weird pulsing thing for me on Chrome, but works fine when using Firefox.
Funny, because I have had some success with chrome thoughout the day, but 0 with firefox...

'GoBirds said:
Not being able to sub in Olsen cost me 23 points it looks like, F-ing stupid.
Do you own Hernandez?
I do... and I'm the commish of the league. Tried to sub out Hernandez for Olsen 15 minutes before kickoff (both mobile and PC). Finally gave up and txt'ed my brother and a buddy fuming about 8 minutes after kickoff. Not even sure what to do. Obviously I want the points for Olsen, but don't want to piss people off. Call a league vote? Ask just the guy I'm playing what he thinks? Just eat the loss of points and move on? What would you all do?

'GoBirds said:
Do you own Hernandez?
I do... and I'm the commish of the league. Tried to sub out Hernandez for Olsen 15 minutes before kickoff (both mobile and PC). Finally gave up and txt'ed my brother and a buddy fuming about 8 minutes after kickoff. Not even sure what to do. Obviously I want the points for Olsen, but don't want to piss people off. Call a league vote? Ask just the guy I'm playing what he thinks? Just eat the loss of points and move on? What would you all do?
That's rough. Im assuming you're an active owner and never play guys that have been ruled out, so it should be pretty obvious that you would have played Olsen. I would change it and hope the guy you are playing isn't a d bag. Maybe make a detailed post explaining what happened

I'd post a message on the league board. Then wait to see if it costs you a win before doing anything such as a vote.

'GoBirds said:
Do you own Hernandez?
That's rough. Im assuming you're an active owner and never play guys that have been ruled out, so it should be pretty obvious that you would have played Olsen. I would change it and hope the guy you are playing isn't a d bag. Maybe make a detailed post explaining what happened
Should have maybe covered yourself in other way's. Texting the league, post on FB, email the league, etc. etc. His opponent may or may not be sympathetic, but I could not fault him either way.

Seriously? Why all the fuss, you have more then just this morning to check in, also there were no big shockers in the active and inactive lists.

They even shut down the HELP boards for fantasy football... come on man. If your having issues, FINE but let us know what the flipflap is going on!!!
Hurt their business in a major way with all of this.
Doubt it. Free leagues are hard to come by and it is not as if this is a regular occurrence. I doubt anyone abandons Yahoo over one bad week. Besides, like has been stated a few times, there is very little reason to wait until the last minute to set your lineup anyway.

Hurt their business in a major way with all of this.
Doubt it. Free leagues are hard to come by and it is not as if this is a regular occurrence. I doubt anyone abandons Yahoo over one bad week.

Besides, like has been stated a few times, there is very little reason to wait until the last minute to set your lineup anyway.
Thanks. Never thought of that.

'GoBirds said:
Do you own Hernandez?
Should have maybe covered yourself in other way's. Texting the league, post on FB, email the league, etc. etc. His opponent may or may not be sympathetic, but I could not fault him either way.
Yah. I did hit a few people on FB and my brother and other buddy I texted are both in league. Was also able to connect to yahoo and post on the league forum around 10:30 PST.We'll see what happens. Super bummed either way... Yahoo sticking people into some uncomfortable situations.

'GoBirds said:
Do you own Hernandez?
You're full of all sorts of useful information.

'GoBirds said:
Do you own Hernandez?
You're full of all sorts of useful information.
Glad to be of assistance, but it really is just common sense. BTW...Yahoo is back up for those that neglected to set their lineups.

Thanks to everyone who suggested we set our lineups earlier! That's really helpful info, considering I have my lineup set by Thursday every week and occasionally need to make a last minute change. You could just be sympathetic that some fellow FBGs lost points due to this outage, but whatever.

Thanks to everyone who suggested we set our lineups earlier! That's really helpful info, considering I have my lineup set by Thursday every week and occasionally need to make a last minute change. You could just be sympathetic that some fellow FBGs lost points due to this outage, but whatever.
I feel the pain of the managers that lost points because of this screwup. I have lost points on more than on occasion over the years due to various screwups,and it bites. But the site did not go down until roughly 15 minutes before kickoff, so a manager is cutting it pretty close no matter how you slice or dice it.Again, I feel the pain of the affected managers, but I am struggling to put the entire blame on Yahoo.

I feel the pain of the managers that lost points because of this screwup. I have lost points on more than on occasion over the years due to various screwups,and it bites. But the site did not go down until roughly 15 minutes before kickoff, so a manager is cutting it pretty close no matter how you slice or dice it.Again, I feel the pain of the affected managers, but I am struggling to put the entire blame on Yahoo.
I saw Hernandez was out 45 minutes before kickoff. Took me 35 minutes to pick up pettigrew because of the delays and still couldn't submit my lineup by the deadline. I texted the commish and emailed my opponent and commish the change I wanted before kickoff but they are rejecting it.... Yes, I can blame yahoo

I saw Hernandez was out 45 minutes before kickoff. Took me 35 minutes to pick up pettigrew because of the delays and still couldn't submit my lineup by the deadline. I texted the commish and emailed my opponent and commish the change I wanted before kickoff but they are rejecting it.... Yes, I can blame yahoo
You need a new commish/league. No reason a text and email is not sufficient. How did we ever run leagues before these internet sites?

Yeah, you need to find a new league. Those guys sound like losers.

Your commish and opponent are douchebags if you actually did notify them that long before kickoff. But, It seems not everyone had problems this morning. I had no problem setting my lineups up until about 11:35. Hernandez was a question mark all week though. Soooo, it is not as if you did not know ahead of time about the possibility of Hernandez not suiting up. Again, Yahoo is not entirely at fault here.

Your commish and opponent are douchebags if you actually did notify them that long before kickoff. But, It seems not everyone had problems this morning. I had no problem setting my lineups up until about 11:35. Hernandez was a question mark all week though. Soooo, it is not as if you did not know ahead of time about the possibility of Hernandez not suiting up. Again, Yahoo is not entirely at fault here.
In this guy's case I say Yahoo is totally at fault. He is allowed to edit his players five minutes before their game starts. He went to bench Hernandez 45 minutes before the game, contacted league members and was not able to make the switch due to Yahoo.

In this guy's case I say Yahoo is totally at fault. He is allowed to edit his players five minutes before their game starts. He went to bench Hernandez 45 minutes before the game, contacted league members and was not able to make the switch due to Yahoo.
I don't know. Crap like this happens on every site I have ever played on (Yahoo, ESPN, Fanball, etc. etc.). I have noticed over the years on Yahoo, that the closer it get's to game time, the slower the site is. Been like that for years, and it is understandable with the sheer amount of leagues they have. If a manager does not plan for the possibility of this happening, then it is bound to bite him/her in the #### from time to time. I had no problems today, but then again, I did not leave myself in a situation where I had to scramble either. Yahoo is not without fault, but neither are his leaguemates and the manager himself.

I don't know. Crap like this happens on every site I have ever played on (Yahoo, ESPN, Fanball, etc. etc.). I have noticed over the years on Yahoo, that the closer it get's to game time, the slower the site is. Been like that for years, and it is understandable with the sheer amount of leagues they have. If a manager does not plan for the possibility of this happening, then it is bound to bite him/her in the #### from time to time. I had no problems today, but then again, I did not leave myself in a situation where I had to scramble either. Yahoo is not without fault, but neither are his leaguemates and the manager himself.
Maybe your league is different but we have small benches so most teams don't carry a backup TE. I didn't want to make a move earlier and drop someone I wanted. I'm not making a big deal of this because I am going to win anyways but my opponent is a #####.

I feel the pain of the managers that lost points because of this screwup. I have lost points on more than on occasion over the years due to various screwups,and it bites. But the site did not go down until roughly 15 minutes before kickoff, so a manager is cutting it pretty close no matter how you slice or dice it.

Again, I feel the pain of the affected managers, but I am struggling to put the entire blame on Yahoo.
Maybe your league is different but we have small benches so most teams don't carry a backup TE. I didn't want to make a move earlier and drop someone I wanted. I'm not making a big deal of this because I am going to win anyways but my opponent is a #####.
Agreed 100%. Karma is a b***h though, and it will come back to haunt him.

I got an owner in my league who picked up Shayne Graham because his Phil Dawson was on bye, and he also had Denarius Moore on his bench for Percy Harvin.

In his starting lineup he shows Dawson and Harvin still in.

My thought was he tried to get on this morning/early afternoon and couldn't.

But as we are discussing the issue in a league thread now...he says he put Moore and Graham in earlier in the week and yahoo bounced them back to the bench?

This is a layer I wasn't anticipating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to make this to simple... I'm the commish in all of the the leagues I take part in competing. I received calls, texts & emails before the 1:00pm games today.

Simply let your commish know the changes you want & they will make the adjustments when Yahoo is available.

Done deal.

Hernandez was ruled out last night. Why would you wait until an hour before kickoff to switch him out of your lineup?

Count me among those unable to bench someone. Tried to get Rudolph in for Daniels and now I'm basically tied with moeaki going vs Charles

On top of the league page:

"We apologize sincerely for the outage on Sunday. We are working on the fix—the site is stabilized—and will update everyone on next steps for how to handle week 10. Currently, data and scores can be viewed on our mobile apps but for now you cannot make transactions or change line-ups from the apps."

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an owner in my league who picked up Shayne Graham because his Phil Dawson was on bye, and he also had Denarius Moore on his bench for Percy Harvin.In his starting lineup he shows Dawson and Harvin still in.My thought was he tried to get on this morning/early afternoon and couldn't.But as we are discussing the issue in a league thread now...he says he put Moore and Graham in earlier in the week and yahoo bounced them back to the bench?This is a layer I wasn't anticipating.
Most likely he just forgot to click 'Submit Changes' when he put them in earlier in the week.

Dear Yahoo! Fantasy Users,

I want to sincerely apologize to all of you about today’s Yahoo! Sports Fantasy outage. As the head of Yahoo! Sports and as a Yahoo! Sports fantasy player myself, I am disappointed that we failed all of our fans today. Our first priority is having the best experience for our users, and today we fell short.

The outage started around Noon ET (awful timing we know) and while our team was on it immediately we are still working on various pieces. Our team is continuing to work on identifying and resolving the root cause. We have restored full functionality on the website, and we’re working for a final fix for our mobile apps. Currently data and scores can be viewed but for now you cannot make transactions or change line-ups from the apps.

We will also use today as an opportunity to improve our set-up so that we hopefully never have an outage like this again. Our fantasy commissioners and players are our biggest priority – we pride ourselves in being able to offer our users with the best fantasy sports experience possible and we take our job to deliver that to you very seriously. Rest assured we will work hard to make sure we continue to deliver on that commitment.

Thanks for playing with us and your patience today,

Ken Fuchs

Head of Yahoo! Sports
Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/2012/11/12/yahoo-fantasy-football-goes-on-surprise-week-10-bye/?OEKQvzjbfkpbvTPh.99

Users who are viewing this thread