What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You order a steak. It's not cooked they way you ordered (1 Viewer)

do you...

• send it back - repeating how you like it cooked

Votes: 62 30.7%
  • just eat it - say nothing

Votes: 67 33.2%
  • just eat it, but tell the waitress/waitor you're not happy

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • just eat it, but only tell the people you're at the table with

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • other

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I can't afford to eat out (why are you posting here among the rich?)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I don't eat steak

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

Number 12

Footballguy
You order a steak. It's not cooked they way you ordered. Do you....

Important Note:

* It's one "temp" off, meaning you ordered it say Medium Rare and it came out Medium (NOT you ordered it rare and it came out well-done)

* The steak cost $25 (I have to put some value to it)

* You're with someone you've eaten out with before (e.g. SO, friends/family not someone you're trying to impress)

I order my steaks medium. Overcooked, I consider sending it back, but usually don't. Undercooked, I typically just go with it.

A critique at the table is always necessary when you're with friends or family.

I usually go medium or medium rare (depending on the steak).

If it is still rare, I'll send it back since it doesn't take much to cook it a little longer. If it is overcooked (this basically never happens) I'll just eat it and maybe say something to the waiter/waitress if its really bad.

One temp off (I always order MR) and I let it slide unless it's absurdly rare/raw. I'll always comment to those I'm with though, wether it's to say how perfect it is or if it could have been better - just part of normal dinner conversation.

Unless it is grossly under or overcooked (I get my steaks cooked Medium), I just go ahead and eat it. It is usually fine.

Sent back a Porterhouse at the Denver Chophouse once because it was overcooked (very medium). Of course, the next one was undercooked.

I wouldn't send back a steak at a cheap place and I don't send back burgers that are overcooked (happens often) but if I'm paying $30 for the steak than it better be how I ordered it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one rule that I always follow when I go out to eat...

NEVER EVER UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU SEND FOOD BACK BECAUSE IT WAS NOT COOKED TO YOUR LIKING

Fine restaurant or not, you DO NOT know that chef and what kind of day he is having. Eat what you were given and hope and pray its only butter on top of your steak.

If it's overcooked picture Hannibal Lecter with Ray Liota with you being Hannibal and Ray being the chef.

Yeah, something like that.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't take my meds this morning. But I'm feeling much better now.

You paid 25 bucks, which is not alot and I would not return it. That's probably hamburger your eating.

Now if it was 50+, I am returning it plus I want the chef to apologize to me.

I have one rule that I always follow when I go out to eat...NEVER EVER UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU SEND FOOD BACK BECAUSE IT WAS NOT COOKED TO YOUR LIKING Fine restaurant or not, you DO NOT know that chef and what kind of day he is having. Eat what you were given and hope and pray its only butter on top of your steak.
This is so over blown. I have worked in various restaruants for many years I have never seen anyone mess with someones food like that. And as a manager I would instantly fire anyone I caught messing with food like that.

I'll eat my steaks between medium and well done. I've sent my steaks back before and been in some stong arguments with my waiter.

I have one rule that I always follow when I go out to eat...NEVER EVER UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU SEND FOOD BACK BECAUSE IT WAS NOT COOKED TO YOUR LIKING Fine restaurant or not, you DO NOT know that chef and what kind of day he is having. Eat what you were given and hope and pray its only butter on top of your steak.
This is so over blown. I have worked in various restaruants for many years I have never seen anyone mess with someones food like that. And as a manager I would instantly fire anyone I caught messing with food like that.
Of course you would, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I order my steaks medium. Overcooked, I consider sending it back, but usually don't. Undercooked, I typically just go with it.A critique at the table is always necessary when you're with friends or family.
Agree 100%. if it's just barely overcooked, but still juicy (I order medium rare or medium, depending on the place) I'll eat it with little more than a word to the table (not the waitress) in passing. If it's way overcooked and dried out, I'll send it back.Undercooked, I'll almost never send it back unless it's totally raw in the middle.

If it is overcooked, it will go back. Sorry, but I'm not eating a piece of leather.
That's me too. Hard to undercook it for my tastes. But overcooking is an absolute crime. I rarely send steaks back. I don't think I have done so since college. Ordering it MR or R usually gets me right where I want to be and most chefs do not go over that.

Oh I have no doubt it happens on occasion. But it doesn't happen very often in well run restaruants. And certainly not as often as people here seem to think.

I usually eat it with a minimal amount of grumbling unless it is completely inedible. However, I keep a mental tally of this kind of stuff and it severely decreases the chances that I'm coming back.

Oh I have no doubt it happens on occasion. But it doesn't happen very often in well run restaruants. And certainly not as often as people here seem to think.
Well I do not know how often it happens. But what I do know is that there are quite a few people that are in contact with my food before it enters my mouth and I am not about to up the risk of them doing any more to it that what was intended. So I shall keep my steak and not complain, I will not ##### & moan about bad service until my meal is down and I can speak to a manager.

Well I do not know how often it happens. But what I do know is that there are quite a few people that are in contact with my food before it enters my mouth and I am not about to up the risk of them doing any more to it that what was intended. So I shall keep my steak and not complain, I will not ##### & moan about bad service until my meal is down and I can speak to a manager.
If there is really a problem with ow your food is cooked, and you aren't in some dive, then there probably isn't going to be a problem. It's when you are an ### for no reason that food issues start to become a real worry.

I have one rule that I always follow when I go out to eat...

NEVER EVER UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU SEND FOOD BACK BECAUSE IT WAS NOT COOKED TO YOUR LIKING

Fine restaurant or not, you DO NOT know that chef and what kind of day he is having. Eat what you were given and hope and pray its only butter on top of your steak.
If there is really a problem with ow your food is cooked, and you aren't in some dive, then there probably isn't going to be a problem. It's when you are an ### for no reason that food issues start to become a real worry.
My wife says I have this gene...

If I'm at some #### joint like Applebee's I don't bother, I just eat it since it wasn't going to be an outstanding steak anyway.

If I'm at a place that should know better, it goes back.

I never send food back. I will mention it to the waitress and possibly the manager. The last thing you want to do is give someone an opportunity to mess with your food.

I also will not order any dessert.

I never send food back. I will mention it to the waitress and possibly the manager. The last thing you want to do is give someone an opportunity to mess with your food.I also will not order any dessert.
Why bother to go out if you are this paranoid?

Ordered a porterhouse medium w/pink center @ Capital Grill over the weekend. Came to me charred, tips gray with thickest parts of strip part and tenderloin part pink as ordered in center.

Didn't send back and was still good overall, but was kind of disappointed since I've had porterhouse at Capital Grill before and it was nothing short of excellent.

Didn't want to be "that guy" sending it back. Feel like it was the right play, just might pick another restaurant for a nice once-in-a-while pricey steak.

I usually go medium or medium rare (depending on the steak).

If it is still rare, I'll send it back since it doesn't take much to cook it a little longer. If it is overcooked (this basically never happens) I'll just eat it and maybe say something to the waiter/waitress if its really bad.
I've probably ordered 5 steaks at a restaurant since I posted this. They have all been cooked to order.

I order Medium-rare, and I'll enjoy a steak that falls anywhere from rare to medium. If I'm at a steakhouse, and I get a steak that's medium-well or more, I'll send it back. Medium or less, no comments to the staff, but I may mention it to the table, conversationally ( as in, how's your steak? Good...maybe a little more done than I wanted, but still good )

I stopped going to japanese restaurants because of this. They often forget to cook my fish and when I complain they just look at me like im nuts.

I stopped going to japanese restaurants because of this. They often forget to cook my fish and when I complain they just look at me like im nuts.
Smart move...I once went to the place and they brought out this dish that actually had snails on it. I yelled at them and stormed out.

I always oder med rare. I can live with undercooked but overcooked ruins the steak. It goes back.
Ditto... though it depends on the restaurant.

If I'm at a Chilis type place I'm more forgiving of the HS kid cranking out crap in the back. It's gotta be pretty far off for me to send it back.

I was recently at Flemings and ordered their Dry Aged Prime Bone in Ribeye at "Rare Plus" which is basically saying "Please err on the rare side of Med Rare, please don't overcook my steak" and it came back medium. This was a $50-60 piece of meat. I called the waiter over and showed him the steak, apologized for being a PITA but with a cut like this in a place like this, the steak really isn't acceptable. He agreed, apologized profusely.

Manager came over and apologized, I laughed it off with a "it happens!". He came back with a beautifully cooked cut and confirmed that under full light in the kitchen the steak was pretty badly overcooked. Enjoyed my steak, they threw in comped dessert which I tried to politely tell them they didn't have to do (until the GF kicked me under the table).

Great experience... they made it right. WIth a high end cut in a place that should know better, I don't feel bad sending a steak back. I've only had that happen once though.

Smart move...I once went to the place and they brought out this dish that actually had snails on it. I yelled at them and stormed out.
I hope you called the health dept.

Thats just unsanitary
There was this time I went out to eat in Switzerland, they told me eating the legs of a frog was a delicacy - I told them they were crazy!

Echoing the sentiments of those in the medium rare - medium category.... Under and I'll typically go with it, over and it goes back.

You senderbackers know they wipe their ### with it prior to resending it out.
Icon was accurate with his comments... I was in a similar situation at Strip House a few weeks back... $58 for a NY Strip and there is no pink at all when I order medium, they understand it is coming back and do not hold it against me. I wouldn't order a steak at Applebees so I won't be in that situation.

It is tastes good I just eat it. Most better steakhouses like Ruth Chris usually slightly undercook instead of overcook.

I was at Outback a couple of weeks ago and ordered a filet medium rare. Came out more medium to medium well but tasted good. The waitress right away looked ay my steak and said she would get me another one. I tell her it tasted fine and to let it go. The female manager comes over and says she put another filet on the grill for me. I tell her no worries this one is good, she says OK you can Eat your meal and I will comp it and you can take the new steak home with a salad and 2 sides for free to eat for lunch tomorrow. Thought that was pretty nice of her.

Users who are viewing this thread