What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

YouTube and Ad Block (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
Recently, I have been running into trouble with YouTube videos not playing. I get a message about ad blockers violating YouTube's terms of service. It does not happen with every video. Sometimes when I refresh the page a few times the video will play. Other times it does not matter how many times I refresh. Videos simply won't play. To the best of my knowledge, I have set my Ad Block program to not run on YouTube pages, but it keeps happening. It started a couple weeks ago, possibly coinciding with a recent Ad Block update. It disappeared for about a week and with some videos I had to watch unwanted ads...some over 2 minutes. Now I am back to videos not playing at all. Anyone have any insight on this? It is making me :hot:
Screen shot.

I guess I can try to uninstall/reinstall the Ad Block and see where that gets me. Don't really feel like doing that but...

I use uBlock Origin and dealt with the same thing. Signed out of my youtube account and haven't had an issue. I did get a warning here and there but no blackouts like I was experiencing on my personal account.

I susbscribe to YouTube Music (same service as Spotify) and for an extra $2 a month I add-on ad-free YouTube. It's solid use of $2. Not sure if you can buy it as a standalone.

Recently, I have been running into trouble with YouTube videos not playing. I get a message about ad blockers violating YouTube's terms of service. It does not happen with every video. Sometimes when I refresh the page a few times the video will play. Other times it does not matter how many times I refresh. Videos simply won't play. To the best of my knowledge, I have set my Ad Block program to not run on YouTube pages, but it keeps happening. It started a couple weeks ago, possibly coinciding with a recent Ad Block update. It disappeared for about a week and with some videos I had to watch unwanted ads...some over 2 minutes. Now I am back to videos not playing at all. Anyone have any insight on this? It is making me :hot:
Screen shot.

I guess I can try to uninstall/reinstall the Ad Block and see where that gets me. Don't really feel like doing that but...
I'm having the same problem. I don't have an ad blocker. No clue what is going on.

Tech support can't find a solution to this specific problem yet. I am currently using a different browser to use YouTube (Edge). I'll report back if we get better results.

Just pay for it...
YouTube premium is something like $14 per month, not too different from streaming services like Netflix. Not that it would break the bank, but way over priced just to be ad free in my opinion. Hell, I'd rather tolerate the annoying ads than to pay that per month. The problem is that the videos won't play at all even when the ad blocker is set to allow them on YouTube. Meh, the annoying solution is to just completely disable the Ad Block extension whenever I want to poke around YouTube.

ETA...I am a YouTube TV subscriber. They ought to just include premium YouTube as part of that deal.

I'm running into this also. When I turned off ad block, it still would not play. When I cleared cookies, then it would play the videos. After a few days, it would block again. I don't want to deal with the hassle of what deleting cookies does every few days, so I switched to using MS Edge for Youtube. I think Google is spiking Chrome browser to annoy people enough to just stop using ad blockers altogether. YT is just the first of their efforts.

I hate using Edge because is is slower than Chrome, and I have been finding myself using YT much less than I had, which is probably a good thing.

I was getting those block warnings on youtube, but then the other day videos just wouldn't play at all. It was like Youtube was trying to load the video on an endless loop. Switched from Chrome to Firefox that day and I have no more issues. And I was using UBlock Origin on Chrome. Even that wasn't working anymore.

I was getting those block warnings on youtube, but then the other day videos just wouldn't play at all. It was like Youtube was trying to load the video on an endless loop. Switched from Chrome to Firefox that day and I have no more issues. And I was using UBlock Origin on Chrome. Even that wasn't working anymore.
UBlock Origin will work in an incognito window on Chrome. Or Firefox works, as well. Really this whole thing is pushing me to Firefox completely and get off the Chromium platform. This demonstrates very nicely how much control they have over my security and privacy online. :x

Just pay for it...

I watch a lot of YouTube. I started paying for no ads a few years ago. It is so worth it.

It just sort of reminds me of an experience I had a few weeks ago. I was at my friend's house and we were trying to watch the 49ers game on TV. The problem? He doesn't have cable. So, we tried several streaming apps and work arounds and Google Casting to get the game on his TV, and we couldn't do it, despite both being capable and tech savvy dudes.

We ended up watching the game on my laptop, connected to his TV via an HDMI cord. I live 2,500 miles from him, and it was easier and faster to log-in to my Comcast Cable account on my laptop and hook it up to his TV, than it was to jump through a bunch of hoops/apps/work arounds to get the game on with his stuff.

Is my cable bill too expensive? Absolutely. Does it just work, when I turn the TV, on? Also, yes.

Is YouTube Premium too expensive? Probably.

Would I rather just pay the monthly fee, and not have to figure out how to work around the ads, everytime YouTube cracks down? Absolutely.

And no, I'm not rich. I am just willing to pay for convenience, with things that I use a lot. If I didn't watch a lot of YouTube, there is no way I'd pay for Premium.

Firefox plug-in AdBlockPlus still works for me--it blocks the ads without getting ToS alerts from YouTube.

I started getting that popup a few weeks ago but it is intermittent. At first I thought it was a total block but then I realized if I just waited 30 seconds this little circle in the top right corner of the black box spun around then turned into an X and I could close the blocker and watch the video.
That's how my problem started. After a while I started getting a countdown, and then it just stoppied working.

...and it seems this evening all YouTube videos are playing without any issues at all for me. I don't get it, but I hope it lasts.

Ad Block is now messing with Facebook Marketplace for me. When I click on a post, it flashes for a moment on my screen and then the screen turns gray. Pausing Ad Block does nothing...same result. But, if I completely disable the Ad Block extension, FB Marketplace works fine. I guess it is time to kick Ad Block to the curb.

Ad Block is now messing with Facebook Marketplace for me. When I click on a post, it flashes for a moment on my screen and then the screen turns gray. Pausing Ad Block does nothing...same result. But, if I completely disable the Ad Block extension, FB Marketplace works fine. I guess it is time to kick Ad Block to the curb.

I noticed this yesterday. I wasn't sure what was causing it, but this makes sense. I was able to load the marketplace stuff just fine when I opened it in Incognito mode.

I completely disabled my Ad Block extension and things were running smooth...for a day. YouTube started blocking videos from playing again with the ad blocker warning. I even cleared my cookies thinking there was something lingering there and still having the issue. I literally do not have any ad blocking software running and YouTube is claiming that I do. Maybe it is time to just kick YouTube to the curb instead of Ad Block.

Looks like there's a chance the EU could save us all. Potential violation of their privacy laws.

Users who are viewing this thread