What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zac Stacy is the highest drafted 5th round or later NFL pick in dynast (1 Viewer)

From the FantasyPros site, among their "sneaky starts" for week 5:

http://www.fantasypros.com/2013/10/sneaky-starts-week-5/

Q1: What RB outside of our top top 36 RB consensus is a good “sneaky start” in week 4?

Zac Stacy (STL vs JAX):

With Daryl Richardson and Isiah Pead failing to produce as expected thus far, the Rams gave Benny Cunningham a shot last week to the tune of 25 snaps. However, speculation around Rams camp is that Stacy may be given the start over Richardson against a Jaguars team that is giving up the 10th most fantasy points per game to running backs through four weeks. If Stacy can prove he is capable of pass protection, which should not be an issue against a week Jag’s pass rush, expect Stacy to see snaps on first, second and third down, which greatly increases his value as a depth play.”

- Tony Mauriello (Fantasy Trade 411)

The best move would be to take a wait-and-see approach with Stacy, who is available in most leagues across the country. If he does explode or show potential against Jacksonville, owners can snag him up ahead of a somewhat favorable matchup with the Houston Texans (23rd-ranked rush defense) in Week 6.

per Bleacher report
No, you have to be preemptive. If he does explode or show potential then it will be nearly impossible to pick him up.
Yes I agree. I can't decide if I should drop him or mendenhall to grab a kicker.
Hmmm, tough but at least with Stacy there's possible upside. We've seen Mendenhall and know what little he's capable of.

This could be one of those classic Brett Favre-like opportunities where the semi-hyped, inexperienced guy comes in, takes the job and never looks back.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Odds: 200-1

Been digging up some preseason comments regarding Stacy's outlook. To my surprise more than one said that Stacy fits Fisher's system.

"Zac Stacy has a legitimate shot to begin the 2013 season as the Rams starting running back. Isaiah Pead barely saw the field in 2012 and is suspended for the first game of the season. Daryl Richardson is far from a lock to be the starter after situational use last year. Stacy has the athleticism and size to offer Jeff Fisher everything he has valued in a lead back in the past. With a strong offseason, Stacy can emerge from the trio of young options as the most production back." -Football Guys

"The Rams 2012 second-round running back, Isaiah Pead, was a huge disappointment in his rookie year and by his own admission was "miserable" and "tired of football". Their seventh-round pick in the same draft, running back Daryl Richardson, made a splash with his speed during his rookie year, but he doesn't have the bulk to run inside. With this backfield possibly ripe for the taking, the team took former Vanderbilt back Zac Stacy in the fifth round. Stacy is a compact, efficient back with surprising speed and power. He'll be a favorite deep sleeper in early drafts, but he could rocket up draft boards with a good training camp." -Sigmund Bloom, Football Guys

"

Zac Stacy RB STL 30 I think he s the best RB on the roster in St. Louis Low RB2 " -Sigmund Bloom, Football Guys

"

Zac StacyZac Stacy was selected by the Rams in the fifth-round (160th overall) of the 2013 NFL draft. A two time All SEC selection at running back, Stacy leaves Vanderbilt as the team's all time leading rusher. I watched Stacy at the 2013 Shrine Game earlier this year in Tampa, FL. Like Alfred Morris the year before at the Shrine Game, Stacy immediately jumped out to me as a player who could make an impact at the pro level. During that week of practice he ran with good burst, stayed low and balanced when cutting, and showed patience when running inside.

Stacy has the perfect style for a Jeff Fisher offense. He's built low to the ground (5'9 and 216 pounds), is a no nonsense runner who continually fights for the extra yards after contact. His lower body is powerful and he can run through arm tackles with ease. Stacy is a slippery runner with subtle moves to trick defenders and create his own space. If Fisher wants to get tricky he can use Stacy to throw the ball out of the backfield, and the rookie also has experience taking direct snaps as a Wildcat quarterback. Stacy is not a burner but did record a 90-yard touchdown run against Wake Forest in 2012. He can accelerate quickly and is a load to bring down in the open field.

This season we'll see Stacy compete for the starting job in training camp. He's not as fast as Richardson, but better built to be a starter. He's just as versatile (if not moreso) than Pead and could easily pass him on the depth chart. Stacy might be considered the third player in the competition at this time but that could change quickly in the preseason.

Zac Stacy has a current average draft position of RB44 and he's coming off the board in the middle of round ten.

Roulette requires the players to set chips on the numbers they think will win. When I look at this situation in St. Louis, the skill set of the three potentail starters, and the current average draft position, I put my chips on Stacy. We'll see if he can win this job in training camp. Even if he is the starter, the Rams are still likely to use Richardson as a change of pace runner and receiver. In that event Stacy would still outperform his current ADP and could finish the season as a mid-range RB3 for your fantasy team." -Cecil Lammy, Football Guys

• Strengths: Yards after contact is the name of the game with Stacy. He is built low to the ground, runs with proper pad level, and always falls forward when tackled. Stacy loves to initiate contact and will punish defenders as the game goes on. He is a rhythm runner who gets stronger with more carries and thrives on contact. He is a slippery runner with subtle moves to create his own space. Stacy is known as a team first player and has an outstanding work ethic on the practice field and in the weight room. He is a decisive runner and wastes little motion with the rock in his hand.
  • Weaknesses: Stacy doesn't have ankle breaking moves and only averaged 10 catches per season in college. He also tends to get dinged up quite a bit as he missed parts of several games with various injuries.
  • 2013 Outlook: Stacy will compete with Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead for the starting job. A dark horse to win the position, Stacy is the best fit for a Jeff Fisher offense because of his leg drive and power at the point of attack.
  • Dynasty Outlook: If Stacy is the lead back in the RBBC he could consistently be a top 25 back.
  • NFL Comparison: Shorter Shonn Greene with better footwork." -Football Guys Staff

Sandeman said:
This could be one of those classic Brett Favre-like opportunities where the semi-hyped, inexperienced guy comes in, takes the job and never looks back.
Sure, if Zac Stacy had been a top-40 draft pick who only got benched and traded because he was a goof-off who clashed with his coach and then was acquired by a GM who had considered him to be the #1 prospect of his draft class.But other than that, the similarities are nearly identical. :mellow:

Sandeman said:
Sure, if Zac Stacy had been a top-40 draft pick who only got benched and traded because he was a goof-off who clashed with his coach and then was acquired by a GM who had considered him to be the #1 prospect of his draft class.But other than that, the similarities are nearly identical. :mellow:
I am alluding to mid-season opportunities, and somewhat tongue-in-cheek at that. Guess that was lost on you.

Sandeman said:

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Odds: 200-1
I bet a dollar

It's not a bad bet. It's cheap. Maybe he wasn't picking up pass pro earlier on. Maybe he blew other assignments. Maybe he was a little dinged. Who knows. It's possible. It's likely he just didn't look as good as the others. But I think his style is different than Pead and Richardson, so he might get a shot based on that.

The fit for Fisher's system/zone blocking seems to make sense. Been hanging on to Richardson and looking for a reason to jump ship. Seems logical to drop Drich for Stacy to me. Anybody else making that move?

The fit for Fisher's system/zone blocking seems to make sense. Been hanging on to Richardson and looking for a reason to jump ship. Seems logical to drop Drich for Stacy to me. Anybody else making that move?
drich doesnt seem like he is the guy going forward. i dropped for stacy because i dont think i could trust drich in my lineup. picked up stacy as a what the heck one week wait and see.

drich doesnt seem like he is the guy going forward. i dropped for stacy because i dont think i could trust drich in my lineup. picked up stacy as a what the heck one week wait and see.
right on, I'm going the same route. Will be interested in watching him tomorrow. Seems like a downhill runner with a little power.

Been offered a 2nd round pick in next years draft for pead (16 team ppr ) looks around a 25 pick. Might just accept it backfield is just to much of a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what's about to happen, but I think all 4 guys should be owned, at least for this week. I've got Stacy and Cunningham, but I wouldn't have dropped Ricahrdson for them.

This situation is totally up in the air, ATM, it seems. If there's some sort of "resolution" today, I'd don't want to have to go to the wire for the guy that just ran all over the Jags.

The Rams are expected to start running back Zac Stacy over Daryl Richardson andIsaiah Pead Week 5 vs. Jacksonville, sources told NFL.com.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirmed Sunday that the Rams will start Zac Stacy at tailback against the Jaguars.

Stacy may lose change-of-pace carries to Daryl Richardson and/or Isaiah Pead, but he's going to get the first opportunity to demonstrate a "hot hand" versus Jacksonville's beatable run defense. The Jaguars are allowing 5.21 yards per carry -- the fourth largest average in football -- and have silver plattered a league-high nine 20-plus-yard running plays. Stacy is a high-ceiling, if admittedly risky flex option in this favorable matchup.

Dropped Stacy yesterday to pick Miles Austin ...

I watched Stacy's highlights and was really unimpressed. Don't think he will do anything with his opportunity.

I watched Stacy's highlights and was really unimpressed. Don't think he will do anything with his opportunity.
I would rather have Stacy than Miles, but I'm a former Miles owner who cursed his hamstring problems for a whole season.

Funny I just did the exact opposite and dropped Miles Austin for Stacy. I am not impressed with Austin's continuing injuries one season after the next that keep me from being able to trust him in my lineup.

Funny I just did the exact opposite and dropped Miles Austin for Stacy. I am not impressed with Austin's continuing injuries one season after the next that keep me from being able to trust him in my lineup.
+1

so can anyone comment on how he looked sunday? production looked good, but was it stacy or just inept jags D? because if he is just a guy who can get what is blocked... more often than not the rams line is not going to be blocking well.

thoughts?

Zac Stacy (questionable, ribs) participated fully in Rams practice again Friday.

Per beat writer Jim Thomas, the ascendant rookie "looked good." The Rams have confirmed publicly Stacy will make his second straight start in Week 6 against the Texans. Coach Jeff Fisher told reporters in last week's post-game press conference he was hoping to get Stacy more than 14 rushing attempts.

Source: Jim Thomas on Twitter

Oct 11 - 2:57 PM

Just watched his college highlights and didn't even finish the video. I'm no scout, but I was equally unimpressed.

I have a question for the pro Stacy posters. If the Rams didn't/don't see Richardson and/or Pead as the answer at RB, why did they wait until 5.27 to draft an RB? Why did they pass on Stacy at 5.16 when 10 rbs were already off the board. Why did NFL teams draft 12 rbs before Stacy? One of the main arguments I see from the pro Stacy posters is situation. The Rams actions in the draft suggest they don't agree with you (waiting until late 5th/passing on rb mid 5th). How do you explain that? I'm not saying Stacy doesn't have a chance, but if we are honest, the odds are low, but reading some of these posts would lead you to believe Stacy has a better than 50/50 chance. If I am wrong, please post what you think the odds are.
I'll try to explain where I'm at with Stacy and maybe this jives with some of his supporters and maybe not.

I don't view Stacy as a top shelf talent. I don't think he's going to be some kind of long term starter in the NFL. But, then again, very few are and, especially at RB, there's tons of turnover with moments that can be taken advantage of.

I think Stacy is a decent enough athlete based on his combine numbers and looked solid enough from what I've seen that I think he could be a very capable starter if given the chance. Which brings me to the St. Louis situation. I've said this in other threads but I don't view either Pead or Richardson as full-time starters. They are both simply too small (both under 200 lbs). So, unless they bulk up, I don't think either of those guys will be primary ball carriers. Not without elite speed, you just don't see RBs that small as feature backs. Now, it could be that StL goes with a full-on RBBC that doesn't lend itself to any relevant fantasy players on a consistent basis at RB. Or, it's possible that a guy like Stacy can do well enough to get a decent number of carries. He's not going to be a 300 carry RB, but it doesn't take that much to excite some owners.

When you look at St. Louis and Fisher, Pead went in the 2nd round last year and Richardson went in the 7th. But it was Richardson that saw most of the work behind SJax while Pead barely played. Fisher is going to play the guys that perform. And given what they have in Pead and Richardson (again, of the belief neither is big carry material at their size), the opportunity for Stacy to jump into the rotation and carve out a large role is there.

Look at guys in similar situations and what's happened to their values at times. Guys like Torain, Helu, Andre Brown, Ballard, Bryce Brown, Dwyer, Tate, Starks.....all marginal RBs (not top shelf talents) that had relative spikes in value when given a chance. I see Stacy cut from the same cloth and could provide some short production and possible value down the road. The problem becomes when you get married to a guy like that and hold longer than you should if his value far exceeds his true worth.

So yes, I actually believe he has decent odds (not 50/50, but not barely above zero either) to get the majority of the carries at some point in the near future. And if that happens, his value gets a nice spike above mid 2nd and someone is likely to pay for it.
:goodposting:
:goodposting:

Just watched his college highlights and didn't even finish the video. I'm no scout, but I was equally unimpressed.
stick to your day job
I watched his college tape and also came away unimpressed. :shrug: The small amount of tape he has in the NFL is far more impressive IMO. I'll stick to my day job though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy seems to have stolen the job outright at this point. He's involved in every phase of the game, even helping those in PPR leagues.

I'm still very happy with him in Dynasty. He's already shown more this year than I was expecting. Theres a good chance theres a new QB in STL next year, so Stacy could be featured. I think he's separated very well from the rest of the pack.

Who's rolling him out next week?

Anyone?
vs seattle with kellen clemens at QB? Youd have to be awfully desperate
My point exactly. I own Stacy but his schedule is tough. Not sure you can trust him in too many matchups.
He might get a ton of carries though. Quantity over quality. He might only average 3 YPC, but could very well get 30 carries.

My hope is that without Bradford, they might go for some trickery on O and, I don't know, maybe try to get the ball to Austin in space or do lots of screens to both Austin and Stacy.

Who's rolling him out next week?

Anyone?
vs seattle with kellen clemens at QB? Youd have to be awfully desperate
My point exactly. I own Stacy but his schedule is tough. Not sure you can trust him in too many matchups.
He might get a ton of carries though. Quantity over quality. He might only average 3 YPC, but could very well get 30 carries.

My hope is that without Bradford, they might go for some trickery on O and, I don't know, maybe try to get the ball to Austin in space or do lots of screens to both Austin and Stacy.
Yeah, the screens are the big factor. You can be a perfectly fine fantasy RB on a terrible team as long as you are catching passes. Didn't see the games, but 6 catches over the last 2 games would seem to be a good sign.

Hard to imagine Stacy winning people leagues, but that wasn't likely before. He was and can still be a decent emergency RB2.

Users who are viewing this thread