What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Orphan Black - New BBC Series (1 Viewer)

Beerguzzler

Footballguy
Haven't seen it mentioned on the forums and figured it deserved it's own thread. It just finished up it's finale in the first year and quite simply this is a fantastic series. It's a thriller/scifi/drama all mixed into one with a fantastic lead female playing various roles.

Here's the link to a streaming site for the series

http://www.thedarewall.com/tv/orphan-black/season/1/episode/1

I don't want to give away too much, but it will be well worth your time.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/

I liked it. Be interesting to see where they go with it, though I hate waiting til next spring for season two.

Starting this now, I've read TONS of good stuff. I'll be a little disappointed if I don't totally love this, honestly. Hopefully it will satisfy my lofty expectations.

I can't decide if this is awesome, or if I'm so distracted at times by her incredible performance that its actually pulling me out of it and making it less awesome.

Usually an actor playing multiple parts is such a gimmick that its inherently distracting, by its nature. And its usually not done well. But she's so good that I'll get lost in it for a half hour at a time completely buying each character, and then I'll remember and be pulled out of it and spend the next 5-10 minutes just kind of watching her facial expressions, mannerisms, etc. and marveling at what she's doing. Never mind the voices/accents. Wow.

Very cool show. Won't discuss spoilers yet as I'm sure many Americans are just now seeing this as its getting lots of internet buzz. Anyone wanting to talk about it should use spoiler tags as well as post which episode they're on. Assuming anyone watches this. I just finished episode 3.

Caught the 1st episode and part of the 2nd before I fell asleep (like it...was just tired)

Heard good things about it so looking forward to the rest

watched this a few weeks back and was pleasantly surprised...big fan of the actress and her range - also :wub: her gratuitous bum shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't decide if this is awesome, or if I'm so distracted at times by her incredible performance that its actually pulling me out of it and making it less awesome. Usually an actor playing multiple parts is such a gimmick that its inherently distracting, by its nature. And its usually not done well. But she's so good that I'll get lost in it for a half hour at a time completely buying each character, and then I'll remember and be pulled out of it and spend the next 5-10 minutes just kind of watching her facial expressions, mannerisms, etc. and marveling at what she's doing. Never mind the voices/accents. Wow. Very cool show. Won't discuss spoilers yet as I'm sure many Americans are just now seeing this as its getting lots of internet buzz. Anyone wanting to talk about it should use spoiler tags as well as post which episode they're on. Assuming anyone watches this. I just finished episode 3.
Maslany is so damn good. I've only seen 5 episodes, but I'm not sure why Academy didn't just ship her an Emmy immediately.

Each character she plays is so completely distinct. I think it's up to six now (counting deceased). The hair/make-up/wardrobe people are obviously doing a great job too.
Aside from the amazing individual performance, the writing is great. So many dramas depend upon writing characters into corners and writing them out, and Orphan Black, so far, does it as well as any I've seen.

Great first season.

I think anything would have a hard time living up to the promise of those phenomenal first couple of episodes, but it came pretty close. They did a good job of staying focused on the characters as they unfolded the mythology, which was nice. I really don't think the mythology is ever all that important for stuff like this. As long as it's mildly interesting and not completely stupid, I don't care.

FINALE SPOILERS

Unhinged Alison is such a good time. Her "dealing with" Aynsley was horrifying and heart-breaking. I hope she gets a chance to gut Donnie like a fish.

I really didn't think Sarah would pull the trigger, but it makes sense. That entire sequence was so well done. I'll miss Helena. If she's actually dead (and I hope she is). She became very interesting to watch and I pretty much loved all her scenes with Sarah/Beth.

I hope Cosima is going to spend more time in Toronto for S2. Great character (and hottest of the clones), but she never had enough to do this season.

I'm excited to see where they go with ProClone.

I trust the show, so I assume this patent issue crap will be ditched quickly to start the new season. I'll buy it a little as a device to scare our clones in this finale and demonstrate further that the Neo's are indeed evil, but as an ongoing issue, it would just be stupid. There are plenty of ways for the Neo's to keep the clones under their thumb. Pretending there is any legal means would be dumb and unnecessary.

Great first season.

I think anything would have a hard time living up to the promise of those phenomenal first couple of episodes, but it came pretty close. They did a good job of staying focused on the characters as they unfolded the mythology, which was nice. I really don't think the mythology is ever all that important for stuff like this. As long as it's mildly interesting and not completely stupid, I don't care.

FINALE SPOILERS

Unhinged Alison is such a good time. Her "dealing with" Aynsley was horrifying and heart-breaking. I hope she gets a chance to gut Donnie like a fish.

I really didn't think Sarah would pull the trigger, but it makes sense. That entire sequence was so well done. I'll miss Helena. If she's actually dead (and I hope she is). She became very interesting to watch and I pretty much loved all her scenes with Sarah/Beth.

I hope Cosima is going to spend more time in Toronto for S2. Great character (and hottest of the clones), but she never had enough to do this season.

I trust the show, so I assume this patent issue crap will be ditched quickly to start the new season. I'll buy it a little as a device to scare our clones in this finale and demonstrate further that the Neo's are indeed evil, but as an ongoing issue, it would just be stupid. There are plenty of ways for the Neo's to keep the clones under their thumb. Pretending there is any legal means would be dumb and unnecessary.
I think I would go Alison, but Cosima, close second. Yoga. Pants.

Great first season.

FINALE SPOILERS

She does have a nice tuckus.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/6d9e1f6bbe6d5aed330d0a9fc0f929ac/tumblr_mpj3tm5aa61qh01r8o1_r1_500.gif

She's no Cosima though.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/002ba02c14e04534ae2352ee460b3e1e/tumblr_inline_mzd9pfzxYG1qic8k5.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/f91634148244564a7b9f7e2d2158bac9/tumblr_mn0z0gWRwk1qhc9d1o1_250.gif

Great first season.

FINALE SPOILERS

http://25.media.tumblr.com/6d9e1f6bbe6d5aed330d0a9fc0f929ac/tumblr_mpj3tm5aa61qh01r8o1_r1_500.gif

She's no Cosima though.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/002ba02c14e04534ae2352ee460b3e1e/tumblr_inline_mzd9pfzxYG1qic8k5.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/f91634148244564a7b9f7e2d2158bac9/tumblr_mn0z0gWRwk1qhc9d1o1_250.gif
Really funny that we are talking about the same person. The amusing part is that I don't find the "lead" that appealing, despite obviously being the same actress. I guess they are trying to ugly her up so make it appropriate for the life she leads/led?

Great first season.

FINALE SPOILERS

She's no Cosima though.

Really funny that we are talking about the same person. The amusing part is that I don't find the "lead" that appealing, despite obviously being the same actress. I guess they are trying to ugly her up so make it appropriate for the life she leads/led?
They definitely try to dirty her up, but I have a thing for dirty (Big **** Paul does too).

http://www.paperdroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/OrphanBlack-Season2-Billboard1-1024x576.jpg

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/files/2013/03/OrphanBlack_S1_E01_13_photo_web-1024x576.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CPMAS79_EOE/Uc2kh-2zmwI/AAAAAAAAVao/MDGqe7Lqj0A/s596/sarahtheclash.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Yw4_9QSngSM/Ud3b0fWD7_I/AAAAAAAAARg/-R5LyXhUDxY/s1600/tatiana27tvf-2-web.jpg

The Sarah from the train platform is very different than the Sarah at the end and her look reflects that too.

I am actually hoping that it wasn't Beth at the train station, and that it was another clone standing in for her. Tatiana as Sarah as Beth was pure gold and I'd like to see Beth again. I felt bad for her. Yeah, I'm pretty much hooked.

I am actually hoping that it wasn't Beth at the train station, and that it was another clone standing in for her. Tatiana as Sarah as Beth was pure gold and I'd like to see Beth again. I felt bad for her. Yeah, I'm pretty much hooked.
Did you just start the show?
No. I bingewatched it all after stumbling across it a few weeks ago. I've seen most eps twice now.

I'm saying that I hope Beth isn't really dead.

No. I bingewatched it all after stumbling across it a few weeks ago. I've seen most eps twice now.

Yeah, more Beth would be nice (whether alive or through backstory). She's a pretty fascinating chick that we don't know much about.

pollardsvision said:
Aerial Assault said:
Ned Ryerson said:
Aerial Assault said:

Yeah, more Beth would be nice (whether alive or through backstory). She's a pretty fascinating chick that we don't know much about.
So you think it is

Aerial Assault said:
Ned Ryerson said:
Aerial Assault said:

So you think that the woman who went on the tracks is possibly a yet unknown clone? I guess I hadn't considered that possibility.

pollardsvision said:
Aerial Assault said:
Ned Ryerson said:
Aerial Assault said:

So you think it is
Aerial Assault said:
Ned Ryerson said:
Aerial Assault said:

So you think that the woman who went on the tracks is possibly a yet unknown clone? I guess I hadn't considered that possibility.
Right; just idle spec on my part, but it was fueled by a post-season interview with Tatiana (no link, sorry; I found it on YT, tho) in which they asked Tatiana which dead clone she'd like to play again if one was resurrected. So it was Helena, Beth, Katja or the unknown (presumed dead) Euros. She immediately answered Beth, and listed pretty much the same reasons pollards did - finding out what made her so sad, etc. Although I'm a huge Sarah fan, I thought Sarah as Beth was ridiculously cute and hot (possibly because that's what Tatiana looks, sounds, and seems to act like IRL). And I think it would be a huge and fun twist if "Beth" at the station was one of the Euros and Beth actually figured out Paul or just lost it and went on the run. :shrug:

Love this show.

Tatiana is amazing. She's basically Cranston level good, which is kind of amazing considering how hot/young she is.

1) Beth

2) Cosima

3) Sarah

4) Allison

5) Helena

6) Rachel

7) Katja

I just started watching and am a few episodes in.

Massive plot hole and misunderstanding of genetics is making me not want to continue.

Is the fingerprint issue ever explained?

Massive plot hole and misunderstanding of genetics is making me not want to continue.

Which issue, exactly?

The deleting of the fingerprint data at police station was pretty weak, but it doesn't go unresolved.

It sounds like you mean something else too though.

Annoyed that my cable provider doesn't give me BBC America. That's a sentence I never thought I'd type.
That stinks. I didn't think I'd ever care about BBCA either (though, I've been meaning to check out Dr Who).

Curious what kind of ratings they pull on Saturday. Nobody watched OB last year, but it seems like they are promoting the hell out of the premiere.

Which issue, exactly?The deleting of the fingerprint data at police station was pretty weak, but it doesn't go unresolved.

It sounds like you mean something else too though.

Genetically identical people wouldn't share fingerprints.
Unless there's some actual explanation for that thing. Which I can't imagine.

They don't change on that issue. So, maybe they'll just get it wrong. Though, it's really only necessary as a plot device for one, ultimately minor, storyline.

There isn't another explanation yet.

They don't change on that issue. So, maybe they'll just get it wrong. Though, it's really only necessary as a plot device for one, ultimately minor, storyline.

There isn't another explanation yet.
I was close to throwing something at my TV over that.
Really? There's only a 5% difference between identical twins, so I don't have a problem with believing that clones would be closer, and thus enough for a law enforcement match. Didn't bother me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread