What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark - Netflix series (2 Viewers)

I got 2/3 of the way through season two and for some reason have lost interest. Probably got mentally exhausted from it as I was binging a bit and trying to fit all the pieces. 

Dumb question, but I assume it's worth picking back up? I have a Friday night to myself this week so will probably grab a glass of wine, my favorite easy chair, and binge a bit. 

I got 2/3 of the way through season two and for some reason have lost interest. Probably got mentally exhausted from it as I was binging a bit and trying to fit all the pieces. 

Dumb question, but I assume it's worth picking back up? I have a Friday night to myself this week so will probably grab a glass of wine, my favorite easy chair, and binge a bit. 
I’ve become pretty anti-binge for most series. That said, this one was fun to binge for us because of the confusing timelines. It helped keep the story fresh in our heads. 

Yes you should finish it. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Three episodes in and I'm confused. Should I have started a notebook ?

I do like the atmosphere of the show and I will stick with it for a bit but I need to have some hope of it making sense soon.

Three episodes in and I'm confused. Should I have started a notebook ?

I do like the atmosphere of the show and I will stick with it for a bit but I need to have some hope of it making sense soon.
If anything it gets more confusing (but in a good way). 

I would recommend reading an episode recap article after each episode. I read the ones on metawitches.com. They would have a little character synopsis and updated family tree. That helped. 

If anything it gets more confusing (but in a good way). 

I would recommend reading an episode recap article after each episode. I read the ones on metawitches.com. They would have a little character synopsis and updated family tree. That helped. 
I will check that out. I kind of feel like they are all related. I am so confused I can't even formulate the questions I have. 😆

Just started this show. Is there a way to watch it without the horrible dubb? Though not sure I have interest to read so much while watching TV so maybe I stay with the dubbing

It’s 10x better watching in German with English subtitles.  The English dub is so bad it’s a joke.  Cheapens the whole thing 
It is so bad it is comical but I am still really enjoying it (though only three episodes in).  

How would this be for kids (14&12)?  I've only watched the first episode and I saw it was "mature" and there was a hanging and a sex scene early in episode 1 but after that it seemed ok.  My kids enjoyed Stranger Things and Lost and looking for another good scifi-y thinker to watch together.  How is the rest of the series after the pilot?

How would this be for kids (14&12)?  I've only watched the first episode and I saw it was "mature" and there was a hanging and a sex scene early in episode 1 but after that it seemed ok.  My kids enjoyed Stranger Things and Lost and looking for another good scifi-y thinker to watch together.  How is the rest of the series after the pilot?
It's more mature and serious than Stranger Things. But if they can follow it, they'll be okay watching it.

And I'm sensitive to the same sort of thing.

last night I am up to episode 5. I am between WTF? and Whoa.

This is not Back to the Future time travel rules. I am not sure how this will make any sense but I will stick with it. It's still fun and the more I understand who is related to who and the various relationships the more I like it.

I just finished season 1 tonight. Great show that I am glad I stuck with. I still feel like it's work to watch but I am enjoying the work.

Funny that someone took the time to figure this out about Silja (very big spoilers in here, seriously)

Silja had an important place in the family tree of the people of Winden. Originally known as the "Girl from the Future" who knocks Jonas unconscious at the end of season 1, it is now revealed that she was actually Bartosz's wife, Noah's mother, Tronte's grandmother, Egon's daughter, Claudia's half sister, Martha's great grandmother, Jonas's half sister & great-great-great grandmother and the unnamed's great-great-great-great-grandmother, yet she was "the girl from the future".
Were you able to keep track of all this stuff in your head, or do you have a big bulletin board showing the connections?

Were you able to keep track of all this stuff in your head, or do you have a big bulletin board showing the connections?
Definitely not with Silja, no. I'd guess I was able to keep about 90% of the rest of it straight.

But that last 10%...oof. You sit there after reading a message board and think "how did I miss THAT, I didn't see that at ALL". :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
First four episodes of s3 were pretty meh, but things stepped up for 5/6. Hope to finish this off this week. 

Just got done with S3.  Loved it...the whole thing.  S3 got a bit "oh come on!" but they did drive it to a nice finish.  I love how this show embraces the paradox - most time travel shows try to avoid that.

After watching S1, i was so confused about who was who that i started a notebook.  Very helpful, highly reccomend.  

Not everything gets wrapped up.  There are a lot of questions still, and I think that's probably OK.  Not everything needs answered.

BTW, if you are a sucker for time-travel stuff, 12 Monkeys (Hulu) has some similar themes.  Its a good bit lighter and more syfy but one of my fav shows.

What didnt get wrapped up?
1. What happened to Wollers eye?

2. What is Alexzanders back story?

3. Who is Reginas father?  For that matter, who is Helges father?

4. Who is Peters mother and why did he live somewhere else until 1987?

A few things they probably covered and I missed:

5. Who is Trontes father?

6. What happened to Elizabeths baby?  I thought Noah took her & gave to Tannhaus, but he acted like he was searching for her. 

I'd also add that this show is mentally exhausting.  Keeping track of who is is who within the context of time travel is one thing, especially with all of the easter-eggs and forshadowing.  But add in subtitles and is a whole different level of attention required.

You can't multi-task watching this show.  You can't get up and get a glass of water because if you look away, you miss some dialog. Forget about checking something on your phone.

1. What happened to Wollers eye? - Not really important. He's a side character that is useful in season 3 to keep straight what world you're in. In one world he's missing an eye, in another his arm is broken.

2. What is Alexzanders back story? - It's not really important. His character is there to enhance what happens when the alternate timelines are closed, i.e. he never meets Regina & has a son with her.

3. Who is Reginas father?  For that matter, who is Helges father? - Bernd Doppler, founder of the nuclear plant is the father of Regina

4. Who is Peters mother and why did he live somewhere else until 1987? - Helge Doppler had a lover named Ulla Schmidt. This is not someone we know but he lived with her until she died, then he went to be with his father Helge. 

A few things they probably covered and I missed:

5. Who is Trontes father? His dad was none other than The Unknown, otherwise known as the Cleft Lip Trio. This has some massive implications, as The Unknown is Alt-Martha and Jonas's son, and the supposed "Origin" of the time loop. This means Jonas is the dad of Tronte, who is the dad of Ulrich, who is the dad of Mikkel, who is the dad of Jonas. 

6. What happened to Elizabeths baby?  I thought Noah took her & gave to Tannhaus, but he acted like he was searching for her. - This is one of the "ummm...okay"-est parts of the series. Her daughter is also her mother - Charlotte. And the father is Noah. 
Some of my own, some copy/pasted from other sites. 

We finished Season 3 a couple weeks ago.  Other than the last episode which had some good moments, I wasn't impressed with the final season.  It tumbled from an exceptionally well done suspense/drama with sci-fi underpinning in Seasons 1 and 2 to just a cheesy sci-fi.  It made me feel like the last season was done by a different director.  The 'sucked through a straw' segue they kept using was especially cringy.    

Overall, a great show that lost its luster at the end.  

We finished Season 3 a couple weeks ago.  Other than the last episode which had some good moments, I wasn't impressed with the final season.  It tumbled from an exceptionally well done suspense/drama with sci-fi underpinning in Seasons 1 and 2 to just a cheesy sci-fi.  It made me feel like the last season was done by a different director.  The 'sucked through a straw' segue they kept using was especially cringy.    

Overall, a great show that lost its luster at the end.  
The what? You mean the visual representation that you were switching worlds?

The what? You mean the visual representation that you were switching worlds?
That's the one.  Between that and the final scenes with Martha and Jonas on the other side of the closet, it felt like a college-level production. 

ETA - FWIW, I'm not a huge sci-fi fan.  However, my wife is and she left the showing feeling the same way overall.  

I get it. But the visual language of movies is a bit restrictive when you're trying to depict certain things - never mind doing it on a budget.

I can agree that those effects felt a little cheap, but they sufficed to tell the story. For me, anyway. 

Just finished S1 and enjoying it.  My main problem is keeping track of the families and relationships across the different times.  I headed to the internet to look that up and was having trouble finding the info because it was complete for the entire series with spoilers.  For example, I found out who "the stranger" was before I was supposed to.  

Any suggestions or links to family trees without spoilers?

Finished the series last night. I thought they nailed the finale. I loved it, as much as I loved I am glad it's done. It felt a little like work trying to keep track of what was what.

Just finished S1 and enjoying it.  My main problem is keeping track of the families and relationships across the different times.  I headed to the internet to look that up and was having trouble finding the info because it was complete for the entire series with spoilers.  For example, I found out who "the stranger" was before I was supposed to.  

Any suggestions or links to family trees without spoilers?
I understand your frustration but I'm not sure it's possible to do and keep it spoiler free.

Anyway, IMO, part of the fun is trying to keep it all straight. 

I understand your frustration but I'm not sure it's possible to do and keep it spoiler free.

Anyway, IMO, part of the fun is trying to keep it all straight. 
Sounds like I'm just going to have to set up a wall of my house with character pictures, pushpins and yarn.

Finished season 1 and loved it.  Though I was very confused at times on who is who and how they are related across generations.  Excited to start season 2 tonight.  

ETA - My wife does think I am crazy though for watching a badly dubbed German show but not sure I can go in with subtitles so have been staying with the dubbed version.  

We're currently rewatching Season 1.  There's a scene in episode 3 where they juxtapose the characters from 1986 with those from 2019 that, for me, is one of the best 5 minutes of television ever created.  The music choice was phenomenal for it too.  
Glad this thread was bumped to the first page...I finished the series recently and while I was watching I did a search but didn't find the thread.

Overall I thought the series was great, really well done, awesome acting.  I actually liked season1 the most as it was simply easiest to track, towards the end it was getting confusing, so many damn Martha's and Jonas'.

Subtitled>dubbed.  I actually think the inflection of the German language added a lot, particularly to the "philosophical" or "science" readings.

Cranks, that scene in episode 3 was awesome, very moving.  Made me go find the song.  Agnes Obel is the artiest.  Familiar is that song.  She has a few others I like (Riverside, Parliament of Owls, Roscian, The Curse, Falling Catching)...great way to find an artist to add to your playlist.

Users who are viewing this thread