What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark - Netflix series (1 Viewer)

Two episodes to go. If the writers can answer all my questions before the final scene, without rushing through things GOT-style, they will be miracle workers in my eyes.

When it is going to be safe to discuss season 3 in detail? And tell me again what the coding is for spoiler boxes.

I'm the only one in my social circle watching this show. I need to gab wif peoples.

When it is going to be safe to discuss season 3 in detail? And tell me again what the coding is for spoiler boxes.

I'm the only one in my social circle watching this show. I need to gab wif peoples.
I'm just waiting on one of you people who didn't spend all Saturday watching this to finish :whistle:

I’m 4 episodes into season 1 and going to tap out now. The description for this show should let you know up front that it’s all about kids getting taken and killed. I don’t care how great it is, I can’t watch that stuff.  It wouldn’t be a spoiler for them just to put that at the beginning - don’t watch this if you don’t like shows about kids getting taken away from their families. 

I’m 4 episodes into season 1 and going to tap out now. The description for this show should let you know up front that it’s all about kids getting taken and killed. I don’t care how great it is, I can’t watch that stuff.  It wouldn’t be a spoiler for them just to put that at the beginning - don’t watch this if you don’t like shows about kids getting taken away from their families. 

Yeah, this show is very...dark.

Two episodes to go. If the writers can answer all my questions before the final scene, without rushing through things GOT-style, they will be miracle workers in my eyes.
The GoT producers could take a big lesson from how Baran bo Odar handled S3E7
Now that I figured out spoilers:

My wife said when Jonas and Martha started disappearing: this is how Jon Snow and Danny should have ended. Together.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CletiusMaximus , it's not really about that, but it's not a bright cheery show either.

It's like a Shakespeare tragedy and a Serling macabre in a blender. 

Just finished S3E5. Whoa daddy did a lot of unexpected stuff happen.

How can this all tie together and how will I understand it even if it does?

had no idea ...thanks, can't go there either.

@CletiusMaximus , it's not really about that, but it's not a bright cheery show either.

It's like a Shakespeare tragedy and a Serling macabre in a blender. 

Just finished S3E5. Whoa daddy did a lot of unexpected stuff happen.

How can this all tie together and how will I understand it even if it does?
Seems like a great show, but I’m a total wuss when it comes to kids. I saw Anne Frank at the Steppenwolf in Chicago years ago and was weeping uncontrollably at the end. 

Boy do I wish we could discuss freely in here...

S3E5 - 2052 — the other world — quantum entanglement

Martha (teen — counterpart — the one that brought Jonas to the other world) wonders how Jonas is alive in his world after killing him. Eva reveals there is a switch point in the loop of time — “The moment that causes things to run in one direction or the other. You bring him to our world. Or you don’t. A line that starts at one point, then loops into itself once more // on one of the roads he dies, on the other, he doesn’t”. Eva calls it an endless loop, with one triggering the other — “Quantum entanglement” 

So which Jonas was killed? The one from the original world that met Martha2 or the one that didn't?

This is also why, I think, there are three loops on the Time Book cover. There's the Winden of Season 1 & 2, Alternate Winden, then WInden where Jonas doesn't meet Martha in the immediate aftermath of the apocalypse and the loops represent each.

But I'm not sure of anything anymore. 
I haven't finished the season yet, so if those things are answered then give me another day to complete.

Don't click if you're not done.

Ok, so Tronte and Claudia danced around the issue of who Regina's father was while they were standing at her grave in the rain. It wasn't Tronte. So who? Male characters from Claudia's generation are kinda in short supply; there's Helge and not many more. One of the time travelers maybe, like Noah?

Don't click if you're not done.

Ok, so Tronte and Claudia danced around the issue of who Regina's father was while they were standing at her grave in the rain. It wasn't Tronte. So who? Male characters from Claudia's generation are kinda in short supply; there's Helge and not many more. One of the time travelers maybe, like Noah?
Bernd Doppler I believe

Bernd Doppler I believe
I missed any and all hints of that. 

Claudia was indeed sexually active at a very young age but wasn't Bernd already with poor mobility during those years?

Also, we never got around to who Peter's mother was, either.

Also also, that was an interesting table in the final scene, mostly by who wasn't there than by who was.

Well that was awesome.

Not sure if this would be a spoiler but anyway...

Big time Donnie Darko vibe on the resolution. And that's not a bad thing.

Also, it was good that Katarina was at the table. Her alternate worlds selves really got short shrift.

I keep thinking of more and more great Sci-fi that this borrows from/is influenced by.

The Constant - the best episode of Lost

The Girl In The Fireplace - one of the best Doctor Whos.

We're currently rewatching Season 1.  There's a scene in episode 3 where they juxtapose the characters from 1986 with those from 2019 that, for me, is one of the best 5 minutes of television ever created.  The music choice was phenomenal for it too.  

I watched the whole thing with the dubbing... thought the voice over work was weak, which distracted from a decent worthwhile show.

ETA... Trying to say, definitely recommend this. And definitely recommend with subtitles, not dubbed.
I watched the first episode and the dubbing reminded me of watching Godzilla movies when I was a kid - very distracting.  I'll give it another shot with the subtitles.

I watched the first episode and the dubbing reminded me of watching Godzilla movies when I was a kid - very distracting.  I'll give it another shot with the subtitles.
We've done it both ways and I while I prefer the subtitle route, an eye issue has forced us to watch it with the English dub.  It's bad at first but eventually you notice it less and less until it doesn't take away from the show.   

Not everything makes sense in the end to the viewer - but it doesn't have to. It just makes sense to the characters.

I kind of wish I hadn't re-watched S1 & S2 before S3 because it would be good to go back and watch it from the perspective of knowing who the "good" and "bad" guys are. But I'm not sure I'm up to watching it again so soon. Maybe next year. 

Features some really cool tracks too.My favorites:

Apparat - Goodbye (Opening Theme)

Nena - Irgendwie Irgendwo Irgendwann (that video just rules)

Fever Ray - Keep The Streets Empty For Me

Stomper - Wishing Well

Dan Deacon - When I Was Done Dying

Bonaparte - Melody X

Alev Lenz - May The Angels

Raury - God's Whisper

Peter Gabriel - My Body is a cage (sooooo...awesome)

Asaf Avidan - In a Box II (interesting voice - it's a dude)

Back to the final dinner party scene for a minute:

1. I assume Charlotte wasn't present because she was a product only of the two time travel worlds. But where was Ulrich? Who were we supposed to presume was Katharina's partner?

2. Was that Benni the trailer hustler (and Woller's brother) at the table next to Peter?

3. Also, I wonder what happened to the Obendorp family, whose name kept popping up throughout the series. A really spooky, yet dangling, scene was Hannah going to grandma Obendorp for an abortion and running into Katharina's very young mother. That is, if I've got everything right. And wasn't Martha's brother in Time Travel World 2 Erik's older brother?

1. I assume Charlotte wasn't present because she was a product only of the two time travel worlds. But where was Ulrich? Who were we supposed to presume was Katharina's partner?

2. Was that Benni the trailer hustler (and Woller's brother) at the table next to Peter?

3. Also, I wonder what happened to the Obendorp family, whose name kept popping up throughout the series. A really spooky, yet dangling, scene was Hannah going to grandma Obendorp for an abortion and running into Katharina's very young mother. That is, if I've got everything right. And wasn't Martha's brother in Time Travel World 2 Erik's older brother?

Ulrich would not exists as his grandparents and great grandparents are both the result of the time travel

Martha's BF, not brother.

Ulrich is Tronte Nielsen's son. Tronte is the son of Agnes (who was the daughter of Silja and Bartosz) and the Unknown man. So, short story - without the loop there is no Tronte and thus no Ulrich. Katharina isn't with anyone in the real world.

Yes, that was Benni.

Martha's boyfriend, Kilian, in World 2 is Erik's brother. As to the Obendorf's...well, Winden is a town where nobody leaves.

Ulrich would not exists as his grandparents and great grandparents are both the result of the time travel

Martha's BF, not brother.

Ulrich is Tronte Nielsen's son. Tronte is the son of Agnes (who was the daughter of Silja and Bartosz) and the Unknown man. So, short story - without the loop there is no Tronte and thus no Ulrich. Katharina isn't with anyone in the real world.

Yes, that was Benni.

Martha's boyfriend, Kilian, in World 2 is Erik's brother. As to the Obendorf's...well, Winden is a town where nobody leaves.
Thanks for these. I certainly meant boyfriend instead of brother but I type way faster than I think.

What did you guys think of the ending overall?
I felt emotionally satisfied but just a bit intellectually cheated.

There was no way the audience can figure it out on their own, and not enough was explained about how Claudia figured it out on her own.

But in spite of that, it was emotionally satisfying because Jonas & Martha's angst driven love wasn't all for naught. 

Finished our S1 re-watch and will be starting S2 tonight. Pretty happy we re-watched it, totally worth it for a show like this. 

Funny that someone took the time to figure this out about Silja (very big spoilers in here, seriously)

Silja had an important place in the family tree of the people of Winden. Originally known as the "Girl from the Future" who knocks Jonas unconscious at the end of season 1, it is now revealed that she was actually Bartosz's wife, Noah's mother, Tronte's grandmother, Egon's daughter, Claudia's half sister, Martha's great grandmother, Jonas's half sister & great-great-great grandmother and the unnamed's great-great-great-great-grandmother, yet she was "the girl from the future".

Funny that someone took the time to figure this out about Silja (very big spoilers in here, seriously)

Silja had an important place in the family tree of the people of Winden. Originally known as the "Girl from the Future" who knocks Jonas unconscious at the end of season 1, it is now revealed that she was actually Bartosz's wife, Noah's mother, Tronte's grandmother, Egon's daughter, Claudia's half sister, Martha's great grandmother, Jonas's half sister & great-great-great grandmother and the unnamed's great-great-great-great-grandmother, yet she was "the girl from the future".
That's fantastic.

Need one more "great" for Martha, though. She was Mads and Ulrich's great grandmother.

My favorite scene is the one where a person pulls down their hood and says something cryptic/suspiciously little 

Finished season 3 over the weekend.  Fantastic series overall and I'm satisfied with the way they wrapped everything up.  I really liked this one from the get go and I can't think of a more bingeable show as I was constantly wanting to find out what was going to happen next.  

Was I confused over some of the episodes?  Sure, but that was half the fun figuring out where we were, when we were, who was who and what was going on during that timeline.

Were there a few loose ends I would liked to have answered?  Sure, I had plenty of questions that I would have liked to have asked.  But in the overall arc of things I got the gist of everything and thought it was really well done.  One of these days I may just binge the entire series from the start, knowing the end and that may answer some of my questions.

Full 5 stars out of 5 for me.  

:blackdot:

almost done with S1, and its pretty awesome. Relying heavily on the season-specific family trees online. 

Great show. Consistently surprised me, and more than once I was like "Wait, she's talking to herself!"  My wife gave up quickly, didn't want to have to think. 

Has anyone tried "Black Spot?" French series, a bit similar in tone. Not as good as "Dark" IMO but I did enjoy it as well.  Does a great job of making the forest seem menacing. Worth a shot if you liked "Dark."

Users who are viewing this thread