What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP VIRGIN PLEASE HELP? (1 Viewer)

hotboyz

Footballguy
This will be my first time playing in IDP in my 20 yrs of this hobby. I have couple of questions like when should I start drafting defensive players?

It's a 10 team full 11 IDP in this league scoring is as follows tackles 1 pt assist .5 sacks 10 pts passes defended 3pts Td 10pts Interception 12pts safety 20 pts forced fumble 10 pts recovered fumble 10 pts tackles for loss 2 pts

With the way this scoring Is setup seems to me you could go real heavy on defense during the draft. Following VBD principles it has me drafting a lot of defense early. The defensive scoring really mirrors offensive scoring. HELP!!!

This will be my first time playing in IDP in my 20 yrs of this hobby. I have couple of questions like when should I start drafting defensive players?

It's a 10 team full 11 IDP in this league scoring is as follows tackles 1 pt assist .5 sacks 10 pts passes defended 3pts Td 10pts Interception 12pts safety 20 pts forced fumble 10 pts recovered fumble 10 pts tackles for loss 2 pts

With the way this scoring Is setup seems to me you could go real heavy on defense during the draft. Following VBD principles it has me drafting a lot of defense early. The defensive scoring really mirrors offensive scoring. HELP!!!
If I am reading this right and you get 10 points per sack/ff/fr, Watt should go in the 1st. Jene's latest article about big play league strategy is a good place to start as it shows you the differences. Run the draft dominator with your leagues scoring system and that will give you an idea of where guys should go. If you think your league mates will wait adjust accordingly. I would do just about all I could to get guys like Watt on my team in this league.

really need to know the number of offensive starting positions and scoring for offensive players, too. You might not necessarily want to draft IDPs all that high, and you might very well benefit from NOT doing that while the rest of your league knocks themselves out fighting for the plum IDPs..

Wow, that scoring system is a bit wild. Only 1 pt per tackle but 10(!) for a sack, INT or fumble recovery? Basically tackles don't matter at all since a bid day from a stud LB with 10 tackles is only 10 pts yet a sack by a nobody DL is worth the same. That's going to be really tough to figure out. If this is a new league I'd push to tone that down some or raise up the tackle pts to at least 2 if not 3 each to balance it out some.

I'm actually in a league with 10 pts for the big plays like that, BUT tackles are also worth 3.5 pts each, 1 pt per assist, 2 pts for PD and the offensive scoring is basically double what is your typical league (1 pt per 5 yards rushing for example) and all TDs are worth 10 as well. I joined this league a few years after it started so I had no say in the scoring. But I will say it works, even though it's a bit silly to just basically be double what a normal league would be. Gotta love scoring 400 and lose though. LOL

Anyway, totally agree with hitting up Dr. Jene's article on sack heavy leagues, you're going to need that advice for sure.

Watt totally is a 1st round pick in that system, might even consider #1 overall frankly.

Beyond that, in my league which is more balanced, IDPs start going off the board in the 3rd and 4th, more hot and heavy by the 8th.

I run a 14 team league and the top LB and DL usually go 1st and 2nd round, QBS are the highest scoring players, but last year DeAndre Levy finished #28 and JJ Watt finished #25 in overall scoring.

Here is what I put on the Assistant Coach thread you posted earlier:

With that scoring (and assuming the offensive side is somewhat standard) there could be argument for JJ Watt to be a 1st round pick. 10 pts per sack is huge when the top guys are in the 15 sack per season range. That is better than the top TD scorers and at 10 pts per make that huge.

For instance JJ Watt gets a line like 3 tackles, 1 sack, Forced Fumble, and 2 Pass defensed (this is not an uncommon Watt stat line). That is a 39 pt game. How does that compare to the top offensive players in your league?

You have extreme big play heavy scoring so players that roll up big sacks (Houston, Watt, Quinn) are huge. I would also look at Brandon Graham and Khalil Mack as guys that are somewhat under the radar to newbie IDP guys as good value as well.

Here's the team I drafted:

Qb Eli Manning Teddy Bridgewatwr

Rb Cj Anderson Justin forsett Cj spiller frank gore

Wr Demayious Thomas Dez Bryant Alshon Jefferey Brandon Marshall Deandre Hopkins Sammy Watkins Charles Johnson

Te Greg Olsen

DL Khalil Mack Chris Clemons Demarcus Lawrence

LB Paul Pouslusny Lawrence Timmons Karlos Dansby

Cb Kyke Fuller Brent Grimes

S Glover Quinn Reggie Nelson

I didn't draft a kicker or St unit I can add them next wk I also need a Lb there was so much offensive talent available I couldn't pass on it

Prob should've invested more in defense

Here's the team I drafted:

Qb Eli Manning Teddy Bridgewatwr

Rb Cj Anderson Justin forsett Cj spiller frank gore

Wr Demayious Thomas Dez Bryant Alshon Jefferey Brandon Marshall Deandre Hopkins Sammy Watkins Charles Johnson

Te Greg Olsen

DL Khalil Mack Chris Clemons Demarcus Lawrence

LB Paul Pouslusny Lawrence Timmons Karlos Dansby

Cb Kyke Fuller Brent Grimes

S Glover Quinn Reggie Nelson

I didn't draft a kicker or St unit I can add them next wk I also need a Lb there was so much offensive talent available I couldn't pass on it

Prob should've invested more in defense
Without knowing how offensive players score in relation to the defensive guys it's hard to say how you did. I am in shock at the WR talent you were able to get but there is a good chance that you will have to be trading that away to improve at DL and LB. Based on that defensive scoring sack guys will be looking at 30 pt weeks all the time. If your Offensive guys aren't able to do that you will be in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread