What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Malcolm Smith 3 down LB? (1 Viewer)

Looks like the MLB with Lofton playing offset to me.

At least most of the time in the non-4/3 base alignments. And some of the base too.

At least most of the time in the non-4/3 base alignments. And some of the base too.
Will Lofton be 3 downs as well?
That's how it appears in preseason and practices.

Lofton is part of the "teaching/coaching" being used with M Smith.

Anything Smith does not get/see Lofton does and relays it.

This (DS at MLB) might not stick come the regular season, but they have been doing it pretty much all the time thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
BigSteelThrill said:
JoeSteeler said:

This (DS at MLB) might not stick come the regular season, but they have been doing it pretty all the time thus far.
Which makes the better pick up for redraft in your opinion?

BigSteelThrill said:
JoeSteeler said:

This (DS at MLB) might not stick come the regular season, but they have been doing it pretty all the time thus far.
Which makes the better pick up for redraft in your opinion?
If what they were doing is being implemented, Smith.

If what they were doing was just "testing" while they were in the preseason (as Lofton doesnt need the practice) because they could, Lofton.

I'm not sure exactly what they have in store. I often do, because I know people with good Oakland insight/inside information.

This (DS at MLB) might not stick come the regular season, but they have been doing it pretty much all the time thus far.
Lofton is listed as starting MLB on the Raiders depth chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
In game-1 Smith had a ton of coverage responsibility that took him away from the middle of the defensive set.

Which is exactly opposite of the much of the preseason and many practices. He still had good #s, but could be better.

Lofton isn't playing all 3 downs.

Player Team Position Started Total Snaps Off Snaps Off Snap Pct Def Snaps Def Snap Pct ST Snaps ST Snap Pct 50-C.Lofton OAK LB YES 46 0 0.0% 40 59.0% 6 21.0% 51-B.Heeney OAK LB NO 24 0 0.0% 2 3.0% 22 76.0% 53-M.Smith OAK LB YES 68 0 0.0% 68 100.0 0 0.0% 56-L.Alexander OAK LB NO 28 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 28 97.0% 57-R.Armstrong OAK LB YES 67 0 0.0% 67 99.0% 0 0.0% 58-N.Ball OAK LB NO 22 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 22 76.0% 99-A.Smith OAK LB NO 29 0 0.0% 29 43.0% 0 0.0%

Smith played a ton, but Lofton was back on teh field all game and racked up 13 tackles.

Every time I try to leave Lofton for dead, the guy comes back...been doing this for the better part of a decade.

Nice week 3 stat line.

Any reason to be less than optimistic about Smith moving forward?
No. When I acquired Smith, I knew he would slide right into Sio's production (which was pretty good last year). Ken Norton is high on him and Malcolm is playing a ton. He hasn't been getting nearly the recognition that he should be. He is a solid IDP option. Easily a LB2 the rest of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread