What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Better AZ Safety This Season : Mathieu or Bucannon? (1 Viewer)

Or Johnson? Or Jefferson?

They rotate a lot.

On your original question, Ill say Mathieu. He is ahead of Bucannon at FS.

Buc is getting lots of PT in the rotation and includes lots of LB looks with the injuries they have there.

If the LBs get healthy - the honeybadger will simply have more chances.

Depends on scoring. Prefer Bucannon in tackle heavy, but Mathieu will make more big plays.

I am also curious to see how much Johnson and Jefferson play under the new DC. If it's the same as it ever was, with 3 or more on the field 75% or more of the time, value of all of them will be diluted. If Mathieu is the slot corner, his value will be much better than if he is FS (closer to the line=closer to the tackle/sack).

Hmm, thought Bucannon had won out at SS. FBG depth charts wrong? (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/depthchart.php)

Snap counts will tell the story here. This is what it was last year:

R.Johnson ARI DB 1051 99.2%

D.Bucannon ARI DB 692 65.3%

T.Jefferson ARI DB 680 64.2%
T.Mathieu ARI DB 428 40.4%

Whoever gets 99% is who you want. I was expecting Bucannon to close the gap on Johnson if not swap counts this year, but could easily have that wrong. There is no doubt that Mathieu will play more this year, though.

Depends on scoring. Prefer Bucannon in tackle heavy, but Mathieu will make more big plays.

I am also curious to see how much Johnson and Jefferson play under the new DC. If it's the same as it ever was, with 3 or more on the field 75% or more of the time, value of all of them will be diluted. If Mathieu is the slot corner, his value will be much better than if he is FS (closer to the line=closer to the tackle/sack).

Hmm, thought Bucannon had won out at SS. FBG depth charts wrong? (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/depthchart.php)

Snap counts will tell the story here. This is what it was last year:

R.Johnson ARI DB 1051 99.2%

D.Bucannon ARI DB 692 65.3%

T.Jefferson ARI DB 680 64.2%

T.Mathieu ARI DB 428 40.4%

Whoever gets 99% is who you want. I was expecting Bucannon to close the gap on Johnson if not swap counts this year, but could easily have that wrong. There is no doubt that Mathieu will play more this year, though.
He was a rookie, so how much did that change in the second half of the season. From what I've seen he stays on the field a lot but don't have numbers.

As far as depth charts, it looks like they are current now.

Snap counts from here:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Can't do half a season at a time but here's week 16, for example:

22-T.Jefferson ARI DB 34 50.0%
26-R.Johnson ARI DB 67 99.0%
32-T.Mathieu ARI DB 34 50.0%
36-D.Bucannon ARI DB 35 51.0%

Pretty similar to full season snap counts.

How exactly are the depth charts current? FBG lists starters as Mathieu(FS), Bucannon (SS)

With Jefferson (SS) and Johnson (FS) contributing.

If that's accurate, fine. But Big Steel Thrill just called Bucannon a big nickel safety and a backup FS ?!?

If Bucannon is in the same big nickel role as last year, he won't be full time and won't be the most valuable.

If he's a full time starter at SS (and sometime big nickel), he will be.

Just trying to figure out which it is.

Many weeks they had 6 DB's starting. I have noticed some depth charts changing almost daily. I would hope they are current now, but maybe teams are disguising them to make opponents plan for different starters.

Also, the DC that used all these safeties last year is gone to coach the Jets.

Tough to call, but I would guess Mathieu is 3rd among those safeties in tackles. I just don't know who is 1st and 2nd.

Mathieu may be the best safety in the game today, he reminds me of a young Polamalu, so smart and fast and not afraid to hit anyone. The nice thing about him is he will put up solid FF numbers also, big plays and tackles, probably top 10.

i took Bucannon based on the podcast info. They said he was going to play a lot more snaps this year. Matheiu is kind of like Troy P, but Troy was never a great FF option IMO. He has the big play ability, sure, but a lot of weeks had 3-5 tackles.

i took Bucannon based on the podcast info. They said he was going to play a lot more snaps this year. Matheiu is kind of like Troy P, but Troy was never a great FF option IMO. He has the big play ability, sure, but a lot of weeks had 3-5 tackles.
Last year I saw him get plenty of deep coverage responsibility. I recall reading that they moved him closer on more plays this year, as other safeties will have more deep responsibilities.

The Badger was drafted in 2013, and later tore his ACL during the Season..

Hes the playmaker aka "BallHawk"

Yes,, Troy was pretty awesome for Fantasy.. How many DB's have ya guys seen, jump an OLine and SACK the QB?

I believe Troy played a lot of "safety in the box" too..

However, Im pretty sure the best Safety plays for the Vikings.. Harrison Smith

I kinda wish we knew what scoring threshold were basing rank.. ie. Only solo tackles?

8 solo(s) to start Season.. That is hi-end (imho) But while ya risk having less, ya may see a Big -play too

Users who are viewing this thread