What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assani's Poker Thread (1 Viewer)

wow you'd better have this jw.
PokerStars Game #4724854243: Tournament #23010061, $615+$35 Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2006/04/23 - 23:03:23 (ET)Table '23010061 81' 9-max Seat #1 is the button

Seat 1: oriole99 (68472 in chips)

Seat 2: jwvdcw (14014 in chips)

Seat 3: dolphin (13822 in chips)

Seat 4: bocaorange (9387 in chips)

Seat 5: ceeberg (36564 in chips)

Seat 6: Bhoth (52007 in chips)

Seat 7: TheMuppet1 (63717 in chips)

Seat 9: kjust (28265 in chips)

oriole99: posts the ante 50

jwvdcw: posts the ante 50

dolphin: posts the ante 50

bocaorange: posts the ante 50

ceeberg: posts the ante 50

Bhoth: posts the ante 50

TheMuppet1: posts the ante 50

kjust: posts the ante 50

jwvdcw: posts small blind 400

dolphin: posts big blind 800

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [Ah Ad]

bocaorange: folds

ceeberg: folds

dolphin is connected

Bhoth: raises 1000 to 1800

TheMuppet1: folds

kjust: folds

oriole99: calls 1800

jwvdcw: raises 4600 to 6400

dolphin: folds

Bhoth: folds

oriole99: folds

jwvdcw collected 6600 from pot

jwvdcw: doesn't show hand

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 6600 | Rake 0

Seat 1: oriole99 (button) folded before Flop

Seat 2: jwvdcw (small blind) collected (6600)

Seat 3: dolphin (big blind) folded before Flop

Seat 4: bocaorange folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 5: ceeberg folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 6: Bhoth folded before Flop

Seat 7: TheMuppet1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 9: kjust folded before Flop (didn't bet)

jw with a gutsy 9x raise over the top of two players. Oriole (loose big stack) is one of them.

The problem was, if you lost, you would be crippled again. This is not normal tournament poker. You arent trying to get the most chips. It's nice to build a stack, but dont tangle with Oriole again if you can avoid it.

Not a huge fan of Dolphins play there. He had AA, but waited to see a flop and it was three spades with a possible straight, and he pushes without the A spades. Ugly.

Not a huge fan of Dolphins play there. He had AA, but waited to see a flop and it was three spades with a possible straight, and he pushes without the A spades. Ugly.
?? Should he have folded on the flop with less than 7k left??He re-raised pre-flop.. Had he just gone allin preflop he probably wouldn't have got called.. I think he played it fine...

Short stack, bocaorange, goes all in twice with his 8k and wins the blinds both times. This is good - hes feeling desperate and is all in or fold. It alsop means you can steal his bb next time around. 3x vs him is acceptable.

Not a huge fan of Dolphins play there.  He had AA, but waited to see a flop and it was three spades with a possible straight, and he pushes without the A spades.  Ugly.
?? Should he have folded on the flop with less than 7k left??He re-raised pre-flop.. Had he just gone allin preflop he probably wouldn't have got called.. I think he played it fine...
Stopngo with AA is a very dangerous game.

Not a huge fan of Dolphins play there.  He had AA, but waited to see a flop and it was three spades with a possible straight, and he pushes without the A spades.  Ugly.
Agreed. And in a satellite like this, encouraging action isn't a great idea. If you can win a pot with little risk, or try to win a big pot with a lot of risk, you should always pick with former.

JW = steal boca's blind next hand if it folds to you.
Really? I'm a bit scared of dolphin and/or him coming over the top. Why do you say this?
Because dolphin's scared of you too, and its only one player that can do it. Boca will have to fold.
I'm not saying it's foolproof, but it's the most +EV bet you can make anymore, with nothing but big stacks to your left.

Agreed. And in a satellite like this, encouraging action isn't a great idea. If you can win a pot with little risk, or try to win a big pot with a lot of risk, you should always pick with former.
If you're a short stack below average you're going to have to take a few risks to get some chips. You don't have the luxury of taking down several small pots and chipping away at people with low-risk raises. In that specific scenario, Dolphin had the option of moving in preflop and getting a few thousand, or going for the double up.. safe play = still below average and back to waiting for good hands.. double up = right back in the pack and can afford to steal some blinds..

question: How would you play a hand like AK in this spot? I mean, I can't just push for 20x BB, can I? But then a 3x BB raise just seems to encourage someone to come over the top, no? And I don't know if I could call all in with that.

Similar situation just now here:

PokerStars Game #4725064472: Tournament #23010061, $615+$35 Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2006/04/23 - 23:18:21 (ET)

Table '23010061 81' 9-max Seat #6 is the button

Seat 1: oriole99 (67222 in chips)

Seat 2: jwvdcw (16964 in chips)

Seat 3: dolphin (24794 in chips)

Seat 4: bocaorange (9537 in chips)

Seat 5: ceeberg (35114 in chips)

Seat 6: Bhoth (50357 in chips)

Seat 7: TheMuppet1 (51845 in chips)

Seat 9: kjust (30415 in chips)

oriole99: posts the ante 50

jwvdcw: posts the ante 50

dolphin: posts the ante 50

bocaorange: posts the ante 50

ceeberg: posts the ante 50

Bhoth: posts the ante 50

TheMuppet1: posts the ante 50

kjust: posts the ante 50

TheMuppet1: posts small blind 400

kjust: posts big blind 800

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to jwvdcw [Qc Qs]

oriole99: folds

jwvdcw: raises 1600 to 2400

dolphin: folds

bocaorange: folds

ceeberg: folds

Bhoth: folds

TheMuppet1: folds

kjust: folds

jwvdcw collected 2400 from pot

jwvdcw: doesn't show hand

Grizzly Joe is connected

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot 2400 | Rake 0

Seat 1: oriole99 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 2: jwvdcw collected (2400)

Seat 3: dolphin folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 4: bocaorange folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 5: ceeberg folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 6: Bhoth (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Seat 7: TheMuppet1 (small blind) folded before Flop

Seat 9: kjust (big blind) folded before Flop

You're in 40th out of 54 players jw. You're going to need to win at least a couple hands here. Don't press, but remember that every blind you win moves you up the ladder. There's 33 seats here, so 21 people have to go out. I expect some people ahead of you to make mistakes, which means you're effectively in 35th or so, but you're far from in at this point.

I'm not sure I like the idea of pushing with over 20 big blinds in my stack...just doesn't seem like its worth the risk that he wakes up with AA or KK.

I'm not sure I like the idea of pushing with over 20 big blinds in my stack...just doesn't seem like its worth the risk that he wakes up with AA or KK.
True. But every hand he loses and every hand you win makes it more possible you will have him covered later. I don't know what the perfect strategy is here, but it would be nice to take chips from him at minimal risk to yourself.

jw, youre 9k out of 33rd place. You're going to need to pick up a pot or a lot of blinds. Look for places where you can do it while your stack still scares a couple people, and nobody's deliberately looking to call all ins.

jw, youre 9k out of 33rd place. You're going to need to pick up a pot or a lot of blinds. Look for places where you can do it while your stack still scares a couple people, and nobody's deliberately looking to call all ins.
I know. Havn't had any chance to do anything since the break. Believe me, I'm actively looking to steal blinds if I can.

boca loses a big pot to ceeberg. It would only have cost him 7k to call. This means two things - first, boca is down to 30k, and your 12k will scare both him and dolphin. Second, he's afraid to play for much.

Users who are viewing this thread