What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (9 Viewers)

Does anybody have any homer info on Dennis Pitta - TE - BAL?

I just traded for him (throw in) and want to know if anyone thinks he will get a chance.

He broke Austin Collie's BYU reception record and was a very good weapon for the Cougars. I was surprised that he only has one catch for 1 yard this season.

Does anybody have any homer info on Dennis Pitta - TE - BAL?I just traded for him (throw in) and want to know if anyone thinks he will get a chance. He broke Austin Collie's BYU reception record and was a very good weapon for the Cougars. I was surprised that he only has one catch for 1 yard this season.
Would be shocked if Pitta ever surpasses Dickson on the depth chart. Like you I was surprised Pitta seemed to be used more of a blocker rather than receiver, since that wasn't his reputation in college. If Pitta improves, it could turn into a split between the two which is terrible for fantasy owners. But Dickson's athleticism far trumps Pitta. Pitta sorta reminds me of Chase Coffman.

He averaged 18 touches per game over the final six weeks, and that number would have been even higher had he not missed snaps in a couple of different games with nicks and scrapes -- which was pretty much the point of the comment.
You had a feeling McFadden would break through in 2010 and was a better back to own than Bush. It seems this situation is pretty similar. Assuming Barber is gone, a lot of people will hype Choice assuming Felix won't be able to handle the workload - both getting nicked (or worse injuries) and reduced YPC. Obviously Felix is more valuable than Choice but do you see this as a situation where Felix will take the job and run with it, or will Choice have at least flex value (more value than Bush did this year)?FWIW, they also averaged about 8 less pass attempts per game while Romo was out, and Choice averaged 15.3 touches per game the 3 games Barber was out. Obviously small sample size on Choice - even more inflated by the Indy game.
Bush did have flex value this year. He scored 8 TDs and in 7 games he had 13 or more fantasy points in my league anyway. He had more than 20 twice. He was RB28 in my PPR league and I would guess was even better in TD only leagues. That's flex worthy.

Obviously Felix is more valuable than Choice but do you see this as a situation where Felix will take the job and run with it, or will Choice have at least flex value (more value than Bush did this year)?

FWIW, they also averaged about 8 less pass attempts per game while Romo was out, and Choice averaged 15.3 touches per game the 3 games Barber was out. Obviously small sample size on Choice - even more inflated by the Indy game.
Bush did have flex value this year. He scored 8 TDs and in 7 games he had 13 or more fantasy points in my league anyway. He had more than 20 twice. He was RB28 in my PPR league and I would guess was even better in TD only leagues. That's flex worthy.
That's true. Maybe I am overstating it. Certainly he was a good situational start. He had huge games when McFadden was out. He put up stats in some games they controlled (two Denver games and @ SD, for example) - if you could predict which games those were. The workload when both were healthy was skewed to DMC, more than the 17.5 to 15.3 Felix to Choice split were looking at here (being lazy here since Felix's is a 6 game window and Choice's is a 3 game).

I've been flamed more than once in this thread for ripping on Joe Flacco (El Foldo) for being weak-minded and just plain not very good. It was on full display in the second half today, though, wasn't it, folks? Man, he's horrible.

I've been flamed more than once in this thread for ripping on Joe Flacco (El Foldo) for being weak-minded and just plain not very good. It was on full display in the second half today, though, wasn't it, folks? Man, he's horrible.
:goodposting: He has been very solid in the regular season since joining the league, but doesn't seem to look very comfortable or confident in the clutch. That's a bad sign for a QB. You want them to thrive under pressure, not wilt.

Would look a lot different had Boldin not dropped a touchdown that hit him right in the chest.

Would look a lot different had Boldin not dropped a touchdown that hit him right in the chest.
And possibly at the end of the game when Housh bounced the bullet off his chest like Superman.

And possibly at the end of the game when Housh bounced the bullet off his chest like Superman.
Not really. Had Boldin or Housh caught either of those passes, I have no doubt that the Steelers would still have come roaring back to win the game. Flacco looked confused, lost, and generally inept for the duration of the 2nd half. Differing outcomes on those 2 particular plays would not have changed any of this.

At least Flacco put the Ravens in a position to win. Ryan (the player who Flacco tends to draw the most comparison to) lost the game for the Falcons with the pick-6 right before halftime. I still cant see much, if any separation between the two and I dont think either are reliable QB 1 options.

This year Flacco put up a 7.41 YPA, a fairly solid number, especially when compared with Ryan.

What I am curious about is the relative strength of the Ravens O-Line. Flacco was second in the NFL with 40 sacks. That's a high number for a QB that didn't pass all that much and one that needs to go down in the future. Is this all on Flacco? Does the O-Line need improvement this offseason? Ryan, with 80 more attempts had slightly more than half the number of sacks (23).

:goodposting: He has been very solid in the regular season since joining the league, but doesn't seem to look very comfortable or confident in the clutch. That's a bad sign for a QB. You want them to thrive under pressure, not wilt.
Yes, it is too bad when they can't all be clutch players in the playoffs like Peyton Manning. :hophead:

Not really. Had Boldin or Housh caught either of those passes, I have no doubt that the Steelers would still have come roaring back to win the game. Flacco looked confused, lost, and generally inept for the duration of the 2nd half. Differing outcomes on those 2 particular plays would not have changed any of this.
I agree he didn't look good, however the bashing would have been lightened had they won the game against a tough Pitt d. I wonder how much of it is the inability of the receivers to get open. It did not appear that anyone was getting much separation from what I was able to see. Throw in the leagues best pass rush and you have a recipe for disaster. I think Joe can be a good qb if the talent around him performs well, however I don't see a qb that is going to put his team on his back.

The Ravens offense scored 17 points on a good Steelers defense. Flacco could have played better, but you can hardly pin this loss on him. He's the best quarterback the Ravens have ever had in their history; it would be foolish to make a change.

I've been a Flacco hater for a while. I dealt Flacco and the 1.09 for Stafford and the 1.12 last offseason when everyone loved Flacco. I don't know if Stafford will play well enough to validate that deal, but I know that Flacco to me is Eli 2.0 He is not a difference maker in real life or fantasy, so I will take my chances on guys with higher upside.

djmich said:
Richard_the_Vampire said:
The Ravens offense scored 17 points on a good Steelers defense. Flacco could have played better, but you can hardly pin this loss on him. He's the best quarterback the Ravens have ever had in their history; it would be foolish to make a change.
10 points
Gonna need some math done for me on that one

Trump Tight said:
At least Flacco put the Ravens in a position to win. Ryan (the player who Flacco tends to draw the most comparison to) lost the game for the Falcons with the pick-6 right before halftime. I still cant see much, if any separation between the two and I dont think either are reliable QB 1 options.
Hard to say Ryan lost the game for the Falcons when the defense gave up 41 points. The Falcons offense isn't built to come from behind; they're a ball control team without dynamic weapons outside of Roddy White. One bad throw didn't lose the game (and the other INT has more to do with Jenkins falling down than Ryan). Letting Rodgers go 31-36 for 366 yards and three touchdowns lost the game. There's only so much you can expect a quarterback to do.

Hard to say Ryan lost the game for the Falcons when the defense gave up 41 points. The Falcons offense isn't built to come from behind; they're a ball control team without dynamic weapons outside of Roddy White. One bad throw didn't lose the game (and the other INT has more to do with Jenkins falling down than Ryan). Letting Rodgers go 31-36 for 366 yards and three touchdowns lost the game. There's only so much you can expect a quarterback to do.
Which is exactly why they need to address this in the offseason to truly take that next step for their offense.

Why is it the ravens were more dynamic offensively last year without Boldin and Housh? Cam Cameron did not have one of his better years as a coach. The team seemed to not have an offensive identity. Cam needs to figure out what he expects out of his offense. Maybe Flacco seemed confused because his coaching staff sends out an inconsistent message.

Not only is Flacco not a very good number 1 QB, but he's solidly average as a number 2, depending on league size.

He was about 20th in average points for a QB this year.

Gets alot of hype, but not alot of results yet.

Why is it the ravens were more dynamic offensively last year without Boldin and Housh? Cam Cameron did not have one of his better years as a coach. The team seemed to not have an offensive identity. Cam needs to figure out what he expects out of his offense. Maybe Flacco seemed confused because his coaching staff sends out an inconsistent message.
I agree; their offensive identity seemed pretty confusing this year. The offensive line struggled a bit, and Rice wasn't able to bust the long gains he did last year--he had 7 fewer 20+ yard gains. Rice went from 5.3ypc to 4.0ypc; McGahee from 5.0 to 3.8. That's pretty significant. I think they missed Mark Clayton, Kelley Washington, and Demetrius Williams more than they thought; they replaced them with Boldin, who admittedly disapointed, and Houshmandzadeh, who wasn't as dynamic as Washington or Williams. Rice still excelled in the open field, so it's not like he lost his balance and agility, but at times they seemed to ignore him in the passing game. I know that's ridiculous to say since he had 80+ targets, but many times you'd see him open 6-7 yards downfield, and then Flacco would fire an incomplete pass to a separation-less WR. Regardless, I never felt comfortable with this team this year; against the Steelers, their scores weren't due to offense; there were a pair of Pittsburgh turnovers, a great punt return, and a long pass interference. I think the offense took a step back, and it has to be concerning. The Ravens absolutely need to address the WR position.

F&L has updated his RB rankings at rotoworld.
It's free content if anyone was wondering.The only one I double taked on was Forte at 11. And calling Felix a "feature back".
Double take because you thought it was too high?I was a Forte doubter, but its hard to continue feeling that way now. Everyone said Taylor would push him to the side, but that didn't happen. He responded by posting the best YPC (4.5) & YPR (10.7) of his young career. He now has a top 4 and top 10 finish in his first 3 seasons. Even in an off year he was 18. His production is even better in PPR leagues.

How much farther down would you put him?

I'm pretty far from a Flacco apologist, and saw what you did on Saturday. However, the guy is 26 years old, and was facing the #2 defense in the league, coached by **** Lebeau. The running game was going nowhere and the pass rush was heavy. I've seen Brady and Manning fold under similar circumstances. I don't think we can write the book on Flacco just yet. As far as a regular season QB, he's thrown for 3600+ the last two years with 21 and 25 TDs thrown respectively. His passer rating has gone from 80 to 89 to 94 in his 3 years in the NFL. Those are better stats than Brett Favre put up his first 3 seasons as a starter. I doubt Flacco has that kind of greatness ahead of him, but I'm gonna give the guy more than a few seasons to define his career.

Jail said:
It's free content if anyone was wondering.

The only one I double taked on was Forte at 11. And calling Felix a "feature back".
Double take because you thought it was too high?I was a Forte doubter, but its hard to continue feeling that way now. Everyone said Taylor would push him to the side, but that didn't happen. He responded by posting the best YPC (4.5) & YPR (10.7) of his young career. He now has a top 4 and top 10 finish in his first 3 seasons. Even in an off year he was 18. His production is even better in PPR leagues.

How much farther down would you put him?
Yeah, I thought that was pretty high. Not because I think player X, Y, or Z should be ahead of him, but just because my gut reaction is Forte is not a RB1. I don't have any strong reasons to move people ahead of him. While I like a few guys better there's not much tangible to point to. Perhaps its more a statement of the gap between Tier 2 and 3. Forte has put up good FF numbers but I still question whether he's a good NFL RB. His early success this year was inflated by a few big plays. His increased production down the stretch is a direct result of Lovie telling Martz he had to run more due to the weakness of the pass protection. That could easily change with a FA signing or couple draft picks, or Martz adjusting to the defenses as they adjust.

At this point he's a 2/3rds committee back without goalline on a team that may trend back towards pass next year (granted, he catches a lot of balls). You could probably point to Mathews (who I like more) and say he's the same guy in the same situation just less proven, and I couldn't argue with you. I would value Mathews' stud potential (even it is a mirage at this point - even if Mathews' true ceiling is what Forte has already delivered) over Forte's track record.

I'm not really arguing with the ranking so much as saying it was a surprise to me. If Forte is ranked that high (and I would mostly agree there's not (m)any to put ahead of him) I would probably shop him and take advantage of the lack of proven, sub-27 RBs.

If youre a Mathews owner, how much would you be willing to pay to aquire Tolbert?

A very late first, a second and a player like Donnie Avery, just a second, or even less than that?

If youre a Mathews owner, how much would you be willing to pay to aquire Tolbert?A very late first, a second and a player like Donnie Avery, just a second, or even less than that?
As a Mathews owner, I'd consider giving my 2.5 for him. (14 Team League PPR)

Last edited by a moderator:
If youre a Mathews owner, how much would you be willing to pay to aquire Tolbert?A very late first, a second and a player like Donnie Avery, just a second, or even less than that?
Maybe a late third round pick. 2010 was probably his career year. Remember Le'Ron McClain? I don't see Tolbert getting 180+ carries again next season unless Mathews is gimped again. The more likely scenario is that he'll be an unstartable bit player who never sees the field for winning FF teams. I would only want him as injury insurance. Even a 3rd round pick might be too much to pay for that considering some of the players you might be missing out on.

Mid to late second, it would turn on how much depth you have at the RB position. Assuming they don't bring in any competition you would have the starter if Matthews is injured. You might get him with a third, depending on how enamored the Tolbert owner is with him. If I owned Tolbert I wouldn't take a third, considering very few players taken at that level ever amount to anything.

He averaged 18 touches per game over the final six weeks, and that number would have been even higher had he not missed snaps in a couple of different games with nicks and scrapes -- which was pretty much the point of the comment.
You had a feeling McFadden would break through in 2010 and was a better back to own than Bush. It seems this situation is pretty similar. Assuming Barber is gone, a lot of people will hype Choice assuming Felix won't be able to handle the workload - both getting nicked (or worse injuries) and reduced YPC. Obviously Felix is more valuable than Choice but do you see this as a situation where Felix will take the job and run with it, or will Choice have at least flex value (more value than Bush did this year)?FWIW, they also averaged about 8 less pass attempts per game while Romo was out, and Choice averaged 15.3 touches per game the 3 games Barber was out. Obviously small sample size on Choice - even more inflated by the Indy game.
I liked McFadden a lot more last year than I do Felix this year. I just think McFadden is the better, more talented back. I thought he could handle 18-22 touches/week, but I don't think Felix can ... nor do I think Felix can sustain a rushing attack -- which always matters much more to NFL coaches than fantasy owners. In fact, if I was coaching the Cowboys, Choice would see the ball 15-18 times and Felix Jones would be used as a 10-touch explosive change-of-pace back.To answer your question, I'm skeptical that Felix will take the job and run with it.

That's just categorically wrong. You put more weight into a second half performance (against arguably the league's top defense) where Boldin flat dropped the potential game-winner and Housh flat dropped a potential game-tying catch because it confirms your bias. You conveniently brush aside Flacco's 103.4 passer rating (2nd in the NFL) and 24:5 TD-to-INT ratio over the final 14 weeks of the season. From the end of September on, Flacco was in rare air. And he did it with wide receivers that just couldn't get separation.He may not have your indefinable "it," but to say he's "just plain not very good" is inaccurate and close-minded. He's a young Big Ben.

I liked McFadden a lot more last year than I do Felix this year. I just think McFadden is the better, more talented back. I thought he could handle 18-22 touches/week, but I don't think Felix can ... nor do I think Felix can sustain a rushing attack -- which always matters much more to NFL coaches than fantasy owners. In fact, if I was coaching the Cowboys, Choice would see the ball 15-18 times and Felix Jones would be used as a 10-touch explosive change-of-pace back.To answer your question, I'm skeptical that Felix will take the job and run with it.
F&L, good to see you posting in here. Hope to see more of you in here this offseason. :lmao:

I think Jones will get about 18 touches a game next year with Choice being the change of pace guy with anywhere from 5-12 touches depending on the flow of the game. I don't think Barber will be back. Choice will be a high upside pick due to the injury history of Jones.
A question:With Garrett now being the (full-time) head coach, do you anticipate the rotation to be different now?I always wonder if we need to rethink these types of things when there is a coaching/GM/team president change on a team.

Is Britt that highly valued now that he should be bringing back huge returns in trade in non-PPR leagues?
I like Britt but we don't even know who his QB is short term or long term, so how can he really be Elite? QB play is critical to WR play.

Is Britt that highly valued now that he should be bringing back huge returns in trade in non-PPR leagues?
I like Britt but we don't even know who his QB is short term or long term, so how can he really be Elite? QB play is critical to WR play.
Fitzgerald still had 90/1100 in 2010 with garbage at QB....
90/1100 is nice no doubt. But his lack of TDs caused him to finish 19th among WRs in ppg. (non-ppr). He also scored about 1/8 of his points week 17, when nearly every fantasy league is done. For the 16 games that counted in fantasy leagues, Fitz finished right between Santana Moss and Mario Manningham. Manningham btw, put up 2 less fantasy points on 71 less targets. Fitz has elite talent, but QBs matter.

QBs matter, but they aren't the end all-be all. I was referring to PPR because most leagues I am in are that scoring model. Also, teams with less-skilled QBs will probably have fewer wins which means more games being behind and more late drives exclusively throwing the ball with the defense in some type of zone or prevent defense. That isn't pretty and most fans have flipped the game off, but those stats count just as the 3rd TD of the game or an upper echelon NFL team.

Yes. He is a great TD producer. His yardage totals in 2010 were adequate and there is room for improvement given he had > 100 ypg in his last 3 games (and week 17 he played Indy who was very much playing for something). If anything, the lack of PPR blurs the gap between him and guys who are surer bets for receptions (Marshall, Crabtree, Jennings) since he is a better TD threat.As to a more general question - how do you value elite or trending to elite WRs in non-PPR - just as high. Devalue the guys with WR2 upside (Sims Walker, Floyd, Evans) or the more possession guys (SSN, Welker), no change in value for guys who could be (or are) great.

QBs matter, but they aren't the end all-be all. I was referring to PPR because most leagues I am in are that scoring model. Also, teams with less-skilled QBs will probably have fewer wins which means more games being behind and more late drives exclusively throwing the ball with the defense in some type of zone or prevent defense. That isn't pretty and most fans have flipped the game off, but those stats count just as the 3rd TD of the game or an upper echelon NFL team.
My suspicion is that if you ever met Steve Smith (CAR), he'd punch you in the face. :lmao: In my league there were 3 WRs that made the top 20 in scoring that came from teams without a top 20 QB. Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Kenny Britt. I'd say the combo of Stafford and Hill would equate to a top 20 QB as well.

fdctrumpet said:
az_prof said:
Spike said:
Fitz is truly a HOF type talent. Britt isn't. If you think Britt is HOF talent, then yeah, get him no matter the price and hang onto him no matter what. I don't think he is that much better than about 20 other WRs in the league right now.

Fear & Loathing said:
That's just categorically wrong.

You put more weight into a second half performance (against arguably the league's top defense) where Boldin flat dropped the potential game-winner and Housh flat dropped a potential game-tying catch because it confirms your bias.

You conveniently brush aside Flacco's 103.4 passer rating (2nd in the NFL) and 24:5 TD-to-INT ratio over the final 14 weeks of the season. From the end of September on, Flacco was in rare air. And he did it with wide receivers that just couldn't get separation.

He may not have your indefinable "it," but to say he's "just plain not very good" is inaccurate and close-minded.

He's a young Big Ben.
I'm not sure if the Flacco/Roethlisberger comparison works for me. There are some similarities in terms of build and playing style, but Roethlisberger was better right out of the gate than Flacco was as a third year pro.Joe Flacco - 2010

Completion Percentage - 62.6%

Yards per Attempt - 7.4

TD to INT Ratio - 2.50

QB Rating - 93.6

Ben Roethlisberger - 2004

Completion Percentage - 66.4%

Yards per Attempt - 8.9

TD to INT Ratio - 1.55

QB Rating - 98.1

Ben is kind of a freak in the sense that he has been dominating since he fell out of the crib. You can argue that his per-throw stats were so good early in his career because he was rarely required to throw the ball. There might be some merit to that argument, but the 2009 and 2010 seasons have shown that he can perform at a similar level even when his attempts rise. The guy is just a great player. Not very many are capable of reaching his level.

As for Flacco, it's hard to say exactly what he'll become. His first three seasons compare reasonably well to Peyton Manning's. Manning has always been sort of a low yards per attempt guy whose elite stats emerge because he chucks the ball a ton. There doesn't seem to be any reason why Flacco couldn't put up a monster season if given 550+ pass attempts. Maybe he can even become a consensus All-Pro like Peyton. I don't think it's impossible.

Any time you're looking at a young player who might not have hit his peak yet, you have to do some guesswork to predict what he'll become. My subjective take is that Flacco isn't quite elite. He has played a lot of NFL football. If he were going to become a true star, I think we would've seen it by now. Guys like Peyton, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Brees all achieved more spectacular heights within their first three seasons. Brady is about the only current elite QB who took longer than three seasons to develop into a monster.

My guess is that Flacco will end up more along the lines of Cutler/Palmer/Eli/Hasselbeck. All of them have been good QBs who can lead their teams to the playoffs when playing well and surrounded by a decent supporting cast. None of them have been consistent every year Pro Bowl types. I see Flacco settling in as this type of player. I would peg Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, and Andrew Luck as better bets to join the elite ranks.

Fear & Loathing said:
That's just categorically wrong. You put more weight into a second half performance (against arguably the league's top defense) where Boldin flat dropped the potential game-winner and Housh flat dropped a potential game-tying catch because it confirms your bias. You conveniently brush aside Flacco's 103.4 passer rating (2nd in the NFL) and 24:5 TD-to-INT ratio over the final 14 weeks of the season. From the end of September on, Flacco was in rare air. And he did it with wide receivers that just couldn't get separation.He may not have your indefinable "it," but to say he's "just plain not very good" is inaccurate and close-minded. He's a young Big Ben.
You had me until "Ben".But this is intriguing :thumbup:

I've gone back and forth on Flacco since their playoff loss.

While I ripped him initially, it was always clear that he was let down by his receivers. So the fault isn't totally on him. Those were easy catches.

I'm not one to rip on a young player, especially one that is playing right from the start.

Comparing him to Rodgers and Rivers is totally unfair, because those two got to sit on the bench and learn for a few seasons.

Flacco was thrown to the wolves with average wideouts, and has still done well.

That being said, they signed Boldin to help Flacco, so they are addressing the issue....they just need to get more speed on the team.

fdctrumpet said:
az_prof said:
Spike said:
Fitz is truly a HOF type talent. Britt isn't. If you think Britt is HOF talent, then yeah, get him no matter the price and hang onto him no matter what. I don't think he is that much better than about 20 other WRs in the league right now.
Britt did well with both Young and Collins, so I'm not overly worried about his (lack of) QB. I don't know about HOF but to me he's one of the best young talents in the game right now.

fdctrumpet said:
az_prof said:
Spike said:
Um, yes, but where was he drafted in most leagues? If you look at the discussion on this thread pre-season and also other threads talking about Fitzgerald, he ended up being a major disappointment (the notable exception being the MOP thread). So yes, he posted the above numbers, but it was not what those who drafted him expected and the reason was probably garbage at QB.

Guys like Peyton, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Brees all achieved more spectacular heights within their first three seasons.
Brees struggled his first three seasons (although he played in only one game his rookie season) and then had very solid but unspectaular years in 2004 and 2005 (4th and 5th years in the league). He didn't explode until he went to NO.

Also Rodgers and Rivers had the benefit of sitting out most of their first three seasons, so its hard to say what they would have done if they started as a rookies without the benefit of some seasoning before being thrown out there - but admit that they both did better right off the bat once they did get the chance.

fdctrumpet said:
az_prof said:
Spike said:
Britt did well with both Young and Collins, so I'm not overly worried about his (lack of) QB. I don't know about HOF but to me he's one of the best young talents in the game right now.
Agreed. If he can get his head straight he can be a monster. He reminds of a young Andre Johnson.

Guys like Peyton, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Brees all achieved more spectacular heights within their first three seasons.
Brees struggled his first three seasons (although he played in only one game his rookie season) and then had very solid but unspectaular years in 2004 and 2005 (4th and 5th years in the league). He didn't explode until he went to NO.
Not exactly. Brees' third year as a starter saw him complete 65.5% of his passes at 7.9 yards per attempt with 27 TDs against 7 INTs for a QB rating of 104.8. It's a far better season than anything Flacco has done to date.

Users who are viewing this thread