What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (11 Viewers)

All this just to say that the need for a top QB might be overrated when it comes to evaluating WRs.
Let's not say top. Let's say capable. We don't know if Dalton is capable yet. At this point it seems pretty likely he's going to get an opportunity early. If he's not capable, the situation could be a mess indefinitely.A lot of the guys on your lists with bad QBs are benefiting from being the only guy in town, like Santana Moss. Green isn't going to get that benefit.
So now Anthony Armstrong, Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, and Leonard Hankerson are worthless?

All this just to say that the need for a top QB might be overrated when it comes to evaluating WRs.
Let's not say top. Let's say capable. We don't know if Dalton is capable yet. At this point it seems pretty likely he's going to get an opportunity early. If he's not capable, the situation could be a mess indefinitely.A lot of the guys on your lists with bad QBs are benefiting from being the only guy in town, like Santana Moss. Green isn't going to get that benefit.
So now Anthony Armstrong, Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, and Leonard Hankerson are worthless?
Hankerson wasn't there last year. :hophead: Armstrong is a below average NFL WR3. Cooley is a quality NFL TE1. Davis had 21 catches.

Hankerson wasn't there last year. :hophead: Armstrong is a below average NFL WR3. Cooley is a quality NFL TE1. Davis had 21 catches.
Well, obviously. Why are we talking about last year?

I disagree that Armstrong is a below average NFL WR3. He put up great numbers in 11 games with crap at QB. In a more talented offense with a better QB, he's at least a solid WR2 type across from a possession receiver. But whatever, that's not a productive argument. "Davis had 21 catches" -- alright, but what does that have to do with his talent? If Cooley were out/gone, he's be a serviceable NFL TE1 as well.

Well, obviously. Why are we talking about last year?
The original debate was Julio vs. Green. The argument was you don't need a top QB to put up top WR yardage/ppr/TD. Two names that rose to the top in that discussion were Moss and Marshall. I think Moss would not be in this discussion if there were better WRs around him. While I don't value Moss' talent much anymore and think he's been on the decline for over 2 years, I think it applies more generally. I also think Roddy wouldn't be #1 across the board if it weren't for the fact that the WR2 was less than terrible and Gonzalez took a step backward. I think Bowe benefited from a lack of talent around him. Stevie Johnson as well.

Chris has AJ Green ranked below Julio Jones based on situation. http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37892/69/dynasty-rookie-ranks?pg=2

I know the Bengals have been weak in the front office and are essentially a mess right now with the Palmer issue, but historically they have had decent production at wr. Chad 85 had some rather monster seasons from 2003 to 2007. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/JohnCh01-2.php.

When Calvin Johnson came out, there was nothing in Detroit to indicate he was going to an offensive juggernaut...yet things seem to be turning out okay for him.

How many people are avoiding Green and going with Julio instead because they perceive the Bengals situation to detract from Green's development and performance? Dalton is no Ryan but he should be able to feed the ball to Green just as other lesser qbs have been able to count on top flight wrs. Look at the monster years that Delhomme delivered for guys like Mush and SS. I think people who pass on Green due to situation are passing on a real gem of a wr.
I couldn't rank Jones over Green due to situation. I don't know how much better it is, honestly. It is generally a big plus to be the best WR on your team and Julio is not. I think Jones could score more points next year, but it's not a given. Even assuming it was, the shelf life of a WR is too long to take a lesser option due to a 1-2 year window in which the situation is a negative. I think Green is the safer pick and I see less bust potential with him. But, if Chris thinks the difference in talent is smaller than I do, I have no issue with the ranking.

I do have to question the continual disrespect of Stevan Ridley. F&L actually shows him some love, compared to the majority. I picked him up as a FA in a 12 team, 4 round PPR draft. That shouldn't happen.

Ridley will have a shot to start in NE. People act as though he came out of nowhere - he didn't. The draft committee gave him a 2-3rd round draft grade as a Jr. with only one year as a starter. He could have been a high 2nd round pick as a senior. I think he is NFL ready, maybe even more so than Vereen, who I also like. The Patriots are not going to give Vereen any kind of advantage due to draft position. They drafted both guys as high as they did because they plan to use them both. Ridley will get time and a shot to earn carries in a situation that got above average production from below average options. That is a lot more than guys continually being ranked ahead of him, who are clear handcuffs. We saw what BJGE did in TDs alone, and I think Ridley is the most likely redzone option in NE, as early as this season.
I saw your question posted for the Audible chat tonight and have been wondering the same thing about Solder over Costanzo and Ridley in the 3rd over a plethora of more highly rated backs. I am sure folks who follow other teams have similar questions regarding players drafted for their teams.To me Ridley looks pretty good on tape but I am not an experienced evaluator of talent and most of what I saw appeared to be LSU matched up against lower level teams and they are, after all, highlight reels. But there is a huge difference in the eyes of BB (and likely most other coaches) in expending a third round pick on a player (Ridley) and grooming an undrafted player (BJGE)in regards to expectations on filling a role. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that the player of lesser regard can't fill the role but certainly the expectations are higher.

Ridley will be given every opportunity to win the job but BJGE will not give it up easily which is great for the team. If we see Ridley on the field in lieu of BJGE it is because he has more to offer; and Green-Ellis had a pretty good 2010 season.

In other words, yes :)

I am hoping to get some input (either from actual usage or from possible usage) on catch percentage as a measurable metric. How do some of you incorporate this into your WR/TE rankings (if at all) and is the right methodology a seperate category or a "seperator" within tiers? Also, out of curiousity since I enjoyed the brief discussion on Collie a couple pages back, he had an 82% catch rate last year (unless I have bad information). I don't see how he can sustain that but, more importantly, is that more a by-product of limited targets or of his role in the offense. Looking at the percentage leaders last year, it appears that they are slot types with limited targets; I can't personally increase the players value on this information but maybe I am being too narrow minded. Thanks for the thoughts.

Chris do you have updated rankings after the draft was completed ?
Anyone ?
They get posted as Rotoworld articles these days. Nothing new yet. I suspect they may be next after he and Evan Silva finish their series of post-draft free agents and trade candidates. Chris did the RBs a few days ago, Evan the WRs since then, and Chris will do the TEs next to wrap that up. My guess is his post-draft dynasty rankings will roll out one position at a time sometime after Memorial Day.

I am hoping to get some input (either from actual usage or from possible usage) on catch percentage as a measurable metric. How do some of you incorporate this into your WR/TE rankings (if at all) and is the right methodology a seperate category or a "seperator" within tiers? Also, out of curiousity since I enjoyed the brief discussion on Collie a couple pages back, he had an 82% catch rate last year (unless I have bad information). I don't see how he can sustain that but, more importantly, is that more a by-product of limited targets or of his role in the offense. Looking at the percentage leaders last year, it appears that they are slot types with limited targets; I can't personally increase the players value on this information but maybe I am being too narrow minded. Thanks for the thoughts.
I think it's close to useless, unless you're comparing two players playing with the same quarterback and occupying the same role within an offense.

I think it's close to useless, unless you're comparing two players playing with the same quarterback and occupying the same role within an offense.
Agree, close to useless. In my 30 years of FF I've looked at just about everything I could to try to gain an edge and have revisited catch % a few times. And I've read a few articles on the subject. Same general conclusion. The problem is that it's just not useful to isolate catches/targets when it's dependent on so many variables that may not really reflect the WR's ability. How accurate is the QB? Is this a WR who is being single covered or double covered? Is this a QB who has other good options and finds the open man or does he force the ball to his playmakers? Are the routes primarily short, high percentage routes (e.g., Collie) or deep low percentage routes? Despite a low catch %, does the WR give you a big payoff with yardage after catch making him highly targetable anyway (a la T.O. in his heyday). and so forth.Trying to use this stat to compare WRs, or determine the effectiveness of a particular WR, is just not worthwhile. So much would be apples and oranges that it's not worth spending time on it. That's been my conclusion each time I've tried to look at it anyway.

Anyone know what happened to SSOG? Don't think he's been here for quite awhile and his whizzbang DynastyRankings.net hasn't been updated in about six months.

Anyone know what happened to SSOG? Don't think he's been here for quite awhile and his whizzbang DynastyRankings.net hasn't been updated in about six months.
I think i remember him saying back in December that he would be busy and wouldnt be around much for a few weeks. He has a tendecy to disappear from here for large periods of time....i think he is seeing another board. :eek:

I think i remember him saying back in December that he would be busy and wouldnt be around much for a few weeks. He has a tendecy to disappear from here for large periods of time....i think he is seeing another board. :eek:
Actually he said that in October and then was absent two full months until December, where he returned for a few days, but then vanished again. His site has not been updated since 12-10. My theory is that he has gone into the witness protection program. :hophead:

Chris do you have updated rankings after the draft was completed ?
Anyone ?
They get posted as Rotoworld articles these days. Nothing new yet. I suspect they may be next after he and Evan Silva finish their series of post-draft free agents and trade candidates. Chris did the RBs a few days ago, Evan the WRs since then, and Chris will do the TEs next to wrap that up. My guess is his post-draft dynasty rankings will roll out one position at a time sometime after Memorial Day.
Well for me that is too late we already had our draft.Draft starts 2 weeks after the NFL draft.

Agree, close to useless. In my 30 years of FF I've looked at just about everything I could to try to gain an edge and have revisited catch % a few times. And I've read a few articles on the subject. Same general conclusion. The problem is that it's just not useful to isolate catches/targets when it's dependent on so many variables that may not really reflect the WR's ability. How accurate is the QB? Is this a WR who is being single covered or double covered? Is this a QB who has other good options and finds the open man or does he force the ball to his playmakers? Are the routes primarily short, high percentage routes (e.g., Collie) or deep low percentage routes? Despite a low catch %, does the WR give you a big payoff with yardage after catch making him highly targetable anyway (a la T.O. in his heyday). and so forth.Trying to use this stat to compare WRs, or determine the effectiveness of a particular WR, is just not worthwhile. So much would be apples and oranges that it's not worth spending time on it. That's been my conclusion each time I've tried to look at it anyway.
Thanks for the thoughts. That's where I was; glad to know I wasn't alone.

I think it's useful when you take those type of factors into account. Look at the QB's accuracy, and see if a guy catches way more or less than that. Look at the type of routes he runs. Look at his YAC.

In context, I think it is relatively useful, when it's really high or low, to know. It can clue you in to things like:

Ohh...he may have stone hands.

or

Wow, he catches everything.

You shouldn't be making judgment calls on it. You shouldn't be using it to base your rankings off of. But you should file it away as just another useful little piece of information that makes up a larger picture.

How do you guys have Romo and Ryan ranked? I'm a huge Ryan fan, and the addition of Julio only solidifies that. Romo I think will have a HUGE bounce-back year if he stays healthy, but he's also 5 years older.

How do you guys have Romo and Ryan ranked? I'm a huge Ryan fan, and the addition of Julio only solidifies that. Romo I think will have a HUGE bounce-back year if he stays healthy, but he's also 5 years older.
Bump.
Also a huge Ryan fan, he's my starter in our dynasty league. Interestingly I have the 1.01 and 1.03 in this year's draft, and a guy in my division has the 1.02. I think he's going to take Jones to counter Ryan if I take Ingram with the 1.01, but if I take Jones with the first pick he'll take Ingram and I'll end up with Green and Jones. Helluva decision for me (starters are MJD, Mendy, A. Bradshaw, Austin, and Steve Johnson with Bradshaw as a flex). :loco:

Bump.
Also a huge Ryan fan, he's my starter in our dynasty league. Interestingly I have the 1.01 and 1.03 in this year's draft, and a guy in my division has the 1.02. I think he's going to take Jones to counter Ryan if I take Ingram with the 1.01, but if I take Jones with the first pick he'll take Ingram and I'll end up with Green and Jones. Helluva decision for me (starters are MJD, Mendy, A. Bradshaw, Austin, and Steve Johnson with Bradshaw as a flex). :loco:
With your lineup, I think I'd be fine with taking Jones and Green, if he snags Ingram at 1.2. Anyways, Ryan is about to be my starter as well, and I'm very excited about his potential this year in that offense. With the drafting of Jones and Rodgers, they're obviously putting the offense more in his hands, and moving away from an aging Turner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump.
With your lineup, I think I'd be fine with taking Jones and Green, if he snags Ingram at 1.2. Anyways, Ryan is about to be my starter as well, and I'm very excited about his potential this year in that offense. With the drafting of Jones and Rodgers, they're obviously putting the offense more in his hands, and moving away from an aging Turner.
Might still be a year or two away from Turner's decline since he doesn't have a lot of mileage for his age, but I agree they're definitely shifting to a NO/GB/NE style pass heavy offense. Our dynasty league expanded from 10 to 12 teams this offseason so I had to decide between protecting Ryan or Freeman, and this was before the NFL draft, so when I saw ATL move up and grab Julio I felt a lot better about my choice.

Might still be a year or two away from Turner's decline since he doesn't have a lot of mileage for his age, but I agree they're definitely shifting to a NO/GB/NE style pass heavy offense.
Very true, and like any competent organization, they're preparing for the future now by drafting Quizz and Julio.When this deal goes through and I get Ryan, I'll hope that Turner ages fast for both our sakes haha.

Might still be a year or two away from Turner's decline since he doesn't have a lot of mileage for his age, but I agree they're definitely shifting to a NO/GB/NE style pass heavy offense.
Very true, and like any competent organization, they're preparing for the future now by drafting Quizz and Julio.When this deal goes through and I get Ryan, I'll hope that Turner ages fast for both our sakes haha.
Not sure if the organization is all that competent.They gave away 6 picks, two of them first rounders to get Jones.The Falcons have holes on defense, too many to be making deals like this, imo.

Not sure if the organization is all that competent.They gave away 6 picks, two of them first rounders to get Jones.The Falcons have holes on defense, too many to be making deals like this, imo.
Well, until that trade you could definitely label the Falcons of the last few years as a competent organization...and teams do crazy things when they think they're on the verge of competing for a Super Bowl.

Well, until that trade you could definitely label the Falcons of the last few years as a competent organization...and teams do crazy things when they think they're on the verge of competing for a Super Bowl.
I'm amazed that trade would label them "incompetent". I think it was a good trade. THose 1sts are late 1sts, and they moved up to a top 5 pick to grab, as Conn said, what they thought was a missing piece for a championship. I think they have a lot fewer holes than you're making it out to be. They were a middle of the road defense in terms of yards per game, but top 5 in PPG. And they're got a number of young leaders on defense - Moore, DeCoud, Lofton, Weatherspoon. Sidbury is a popular breakout DE candidate givne his physical tools, and it's a position that usually takes some time. They also added Dunta last offseason and, who knows what they'll do once it opens this year.I'm not saying they're right or wrong - time will tell - but making a decisive move up to grab a guy like Julio is exactly the way I run my fantasy teams (and many other championships are built). Get the pieces in place, and then "overpay" for that piece that puts you over the top.

'corpcow said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
I'm amazed that trade would label them "incompetent". I think it was a good trade. THose 1sts are late 1sts, and they moved up to a top 5 pick to grab, as Conn said, what they thought was a missing piece for a championship. I think they have a lot fewer holes than you're making it out to be. They were a middle of the road defense in terms of yards per game, but top 5 in PPG. And they're got a number of young leaders on defense - Moore, DeCoud, Lofton, Weatherspoon. Sidbury is a popular breakout DE candidate givne his physical tools, and it's a position that usually takes some time. They also added Dunta last offseason and, who knows what they'll do once it opens this year.I'm not saying they're right or wrong - time will tell - but making a decisive move up to grab a guy like Julio is exactly the way I run my fantasy teams (and many other championships are built). Get the pieces in place, and then "overpay" for that piece that puts you over the top.
Exactly, if they believe this was the missing piece and are correct Its almost a second they're giving.

The Falcons had maybe the worst #2 WR(s) in the league. Not only did they get an upgrade at the postition, its a huge upgrade. The biggest factor is what a WR like that does for the rest of the offense, especially Roddy White.

Has anyone done any trades this offseason involving Jerome Simpson? I've gotten quite a few offers for him but I'm having a hard time defining his value, especially with the addition of Green and the QB change

In looking at F&L's latest RB rankings, I was surprised to see that Peyton Hillis -- recently traded to Browns as part of Quinn deal -- wasn't listed in the rankings, which go 90 RBs deep.Hillis is 24. Two years ago, due to injuries to other Broncos RBs, he got an opportunity for 6 games until he himself was knocked out for the season due to injury. In those 6 games, he had 522 total yards and 6 TDs... over 14 fantasy points per game. However, he didn't get any real opportunity in Denver last season, with Buckhalter and Moreno ahead of him. Cleveland has Harrison and James Davis at RB, but that's it, right? I realize they may draft a RB, but I am not aware that they are expected to use an early pick on RB. Or are they?I guess I was expecting to see Hillis in those rankings somewhere, given some of the other names in the bottom 10-20. I thought he might have a shot at a RBBC role.Any thoughts on Hillis?
From what I read Holgrem and company really like Hillis and the plan is to use him as a "power" back along with Harrison (they've already said that Harrison is not a feature back type). I was very impressed with what he did in Denver. He isn't a special runner by any means, but runs hard, has decent speed for a big back and surpisingly soft hands as a pass catcher. I don't think Cleveland will draft a RB (unless they see great value) but instead ride the hot hand with Harrison, Hillis and James Davis.I acquired him in a deal after the trade to Cleveland becuase I saw a real opportunity for him there.
I traded him when he moved to Cleveland along with Ogletree for James Jones. Ogletree could do something in Dallas if he gets a chance and I would not have been able to use Hillis, likely, in any trade unless he had moved on from Denver. I agree that he has the ability to help Cleveland's running game.
:eek: to the guy who dealt away Hillis!

Well I am in the middle of a high stakes $750 entry FFPC dynasty league. I pretty much followed these rankings and grabbed all the young highly ranked stud players at value over and over again for my first 6 picks and yet my team looks very weak and has a real shot of finishing dead last this year.It looks like depsite the fact I got many highly ranked players my team just isn't going to be good this year.What is better to grab the highest ranked players and pay the price for 1 season in hopes of being great for the next 5 seasons or mixing it up with lower ranked vets who won't be around more than 2-3 years while getting some decent young players ?If you want to win now in a dynasty start up your almost forced to pass on any highly ranked young player that has not been proven yet.Let me show you what I mean. My 6 picks were in a 12 team PPR league.5-Andre Johnson - #1 ranked WR - 1st tier25-Vernon Davis - #3 ranked TE - 1st tier30-Johnathon Stewart - #5 ranked RB - 2nd tier43-Dez Bryant - #9 ranked WR - 2nd tier49-Vincent Jackson - #4 ranked WR - 2nd tier52-Phillip Rivers - #5 ranked QB - 2nd tierThis is the core of my team and yet I am basically screwed for this season.Should I have passed on Vincent Jackson and his great potential because he may miss 1/2 of this season ?Guys I passed on were players like Boldin and Carolina's Steve Smith. Should I have grabed a player that would have helped me more now even though they are ranked much lower on the list ? Getting V-Jax at 49 is a huge steal if he plays the rest of his career even if he misses 1/2 this season.Problem is if he misses 1/2 this season my team is sunk.Dez Bryant I got a huge steal on at 43 (he went 31 and 33 in the other 2 drafts with the same format)Problem is unless he is next coming of Randy Moss who broke out his rookie season with huge numbers I am in deep dodo at WRStewart is another example of a player that will give me limited production because D-Williams is still there but has a chance to be a top 5 RB next year.Should I have passed on him to take a M-Turner, C-Wells, R-Grant, Moreno, P-Thomas type RB who were all still on the board ?Did I mess up by taking the best value on the board every step of the way landing 6 premium stud players ?Is sacrificing 1 year worth it ? Would you have passed on Stew, Dez and V-Jax to try and win this season ?Drafting those 6 players at the time I did it seemed like a good idea but now I am having regrets because it really looks bleek for me this season.Also I traded my 2011 1st round pick to move up and select Mike wallace which makes things even bleeker for me because if I miss the playoffs I just cost myself a possible top 4 rookie next year. Probably a dumb move to make that trade because I feel I have no shot at the playoffs. My depth is lacking as well as I had to trade out my 8th and 10th round picks to land the spots needed to draft Dez Bryant and V-Jackson.Thoughts ?
Why is this team so bad? When V-Jax comes off suspension, you're looking at having the #1 WR1, and more than likely the #1 WR2. Wallace should be fine as a #3, and Dez is depth... for now. Rivers is a nice QB who certainly shouldn't hurt you. V Davis should be a top 3 TE again. Stewart is in a committee with Williams, but both are talented RB's who can put #2 RB numbers easily, with a chance at low-end #1 RB numbers. I'm not sure where you're at in the draft, but you could probably grab Ocho Cinco, Driver, and Mason pretty late. I'm not sure who else you have at RB, or who's left at RB? I would like to see your entire roster.... really like your core.
The rest of the team is trash to say it nicely. The moves I made to secure all those players cost me depth as I had to trade away my 7th, 8th and 10th round picks plus my 1st in 2011 to move up and secure all those players.We are in the 12th round right now here is the entire current rosterQB RiversRB Stewart, Maroney, J-Harrison, C-TaylorWR AJ, Dez, VJ, Wallace, Devin ThomasTE V-DavisKey points to this league. PPR and TE's 1.5 PPR2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE plus 2 flex so you can go 4 RB, 4 WR or 3 TE maxI thought I was going to get lucky in the 9th round but then Jacobs went 4 picks before me that would have been a nice 2nd RB. That really hurt that I traded out my 8th rounder because I would have had Jacobs.I missed out on a lot of decent RB's in the 6/7 rounds.The thing that bothers me the most is I dealt out my 2011 pick which was stupid knowing this is the route I was taking. If I end up not in the playoffs I could really use that top 6 pick to get a RB.Now I do have another guys 1st round pick I acquired so at worst I will still have the 12 pick but his team is loaded he went all out for this year going with Chris Johnson then ever player 30 and over.P-Manning, CJ, Turner, R-Moss, Boldin, Dallas Clark, Hines Ward, M-Bush, Jacobs is his core. So like I said a 12 pick is likely.
lol... IMO, you're fine.I actually like Maroney this year. Not a stud by any means, but I think he'll be a serviceable RB2. Harrison and Taylor... not sure what to think, but they should be decent depth. I wouldn't fret over dealing your 2011 pick... you grabbed a young core that I love. 1.5 PPR for TE's just bumped your starting lineup IMO. You have a top 3 TE in Davis. If you don't mind, can you post a link to the draft? I'm curious to see how this plays out, because I think you made the right moves in acquiring young core players, and I would like to see what "old men" are still available. It's easy to fill out WR depth in a start-up with old WR's... not so much with RB.
It's funny how things turn out the guy who had that stud team ended up with the #1 pick (too bad I figured him to win the title so I traded it before the draft ended...ouch). I also ended up trading for my own 1st back because I got worried I would stink but I ended up making the playoffs and finishing 4th overall so my pick ended up #9 anyway.Wallace trade for a 1st ended up being a great deal he is a stud now.I started the year like 8-1 too so much for a slow start...I did end up losing V-Jax in the deal to get my 1st back...traded V-Jax away for Colston and a swap of 1sts.My team is Dragons listed in my sig for this season.

Has anyone done any trades this offseason involving Jerome Simpson? I've gotten quite a few offers for him but I'm having a hard time defining his value, especially with the addition of Green and the QB change
His value tanked after the drafting of AJ Green. IMO he is a hold, should of moved him before the draft to max his value. Now you have to wait until he shows more on the field

In my recent hometown dynasty draft some one took Plaxico Burress (FA) in our rookie draft with the 1.9 pick and told me he felt that was a "steal". I didn't want to burst his bubble, but imo it was a "stretch" type pick. Sure he was a second-third tier type WR and very productive prior to his transgression, but the guy will be 34 years old this season and has been out of the league for two years. In fact my buddy who got wind of the 1.9 picker's intentions was considering taking Burress at 1.6 to beat him to the punch and I kind of talked him out of it. I did tell him by no means am I saying that my advice is correct and to do what he wants - he ended up taking Jonathan Baldwin instead.

Am I way off base here or does anyone think Burress is worth a first round pick in a dynasty rookie FA draft?

"Am I way off base here or does anyone think Burress is worth a first round pick in a dynasty rookie FA draft? "

NO you are right on here. Burress if returns to pre jail time form can maybe a solid WR2/WR3 depending on situation. I mean lets face it that's a lot of ifs. I'd say Burress is maybe worth a low end 2nd Rnd Pick Rookie pick at the most. Because he is a red zone target and his body hasn't taken a pounding for 2 yrs. So while he is 34 its not quite the same.

So to say you are off base here. I would have to say NO :no: You are right on the money :moneybag:

In looking at F&L's latest RB rankings, I was surprised to see that Peyton Hillis -- recently traded to Browns as part of Quinn deal -- wasn't listed in the rankings, which go 90 RBs deep.Hillis is 24. Two years ago, due to injuries to other Broncos RBs, he got an opportunity for 6 games until he himself was knocked out for the season due to injury. In those 6 games, he had 522 total yards and 6 TDs... over 14 fantasy points per game. However, he didn't get any real opportunity in Denver last season, with Buckhalter and Moreno ahead of him. Cleveland has Harrison and James Davis at RB, but that's it, right? I realize they may draft a RB, but I am not aware that they are expected to use an early pick on RB. Or are they?I guess I was expecting to see Hillis in those rankings somewhere, given some of the other names in the bottom 10-20. I thought he might have a shot at a RBBC role.Any thoughts on Hillis?
From what I read Holgrem and company really like Hillis and the plan is to use him as a "power" back along with Harrison (they've already said that Harrison is not a feature back type). I was very impressed with what he did in Denver. He isn't a special runner by any means, but runs hard, has decent speed for a big back and surpisingly soft hands as a pass catcher. I don't think Cleveland will draft a RB (unless they see great value) but instead ride the hot hand with Harrison, Hillis and James Davis.I acquired him in a deal after the trade to Cleveland becuase I saw a real opportunity for him there.
I traded him when he moved to Cleveland along with Ogletree for James Jones. Ogletree could do something in Dallas if he gets a chance and I would not have been able to use Hillis, likely, in any trade unless he had moved on from Denver. I agree that he has the ability to help Cleveland's running game.
:eek: to the guy who dealt away Hillis!
That be me; yep, that trade didn't work out so well. I took a shot at Jones; had he at least turned out to be the heir to Driver it wouldn't look quite as bad. The injury to Hardesty certainly gave Hillis the opportunity to excel and he didn't disappoint (well maybe I was a little disappointed).

Thanks for all the responses. To answer a previous question, it's a 12 team, H2H league, 1rb/3wr plus a rb/wr flex as mentioned in my original post above, plus 1qb, 1k, 1d/st. No te mandatory. 4pts pass Td, 6pts all others. No ppr. So if the first 6 are ADP, CJ, MJD, Rice, AJ, Fitz, then one more player will go from the following:Rodgers, Brees, Gore, Turner, Calvin.I think I'd rank Rodgers first and then a toss up between Brees and Calvin. I think I'd pass on both Gore andTurner at that spot. But, man i hope that the other first time dynasty owners in this new league put too much stock in the questionable qb in leinart and let fitz drop to me.All thoughts welcome...
I'd that case, I'd take 1 QB and 2 WR with my first three picks...(in order)Rodgers, Brees, Rivers/Schaub, Schaub/Rivers.Marshall, White, Crabtree, Jennings, Bryant, Desean, Rice....then I'd hit rounds 4 through 6 for RBs (not in order) like Moreno, Best, Matthews (likely gone), Green, Wells, McCoy, Felix, D. Brown and another QB (Stafford, Roethlisberger, Kolb or Manning if you're lucky) Smith, or Henne.Get out of the first 6 rounds with two RBs under 25, two QBs under 29, and two WRs under 27 and you will have a very enviable dynasty team that will start killing people in 2011 and beyond.My "Year Two" article will be out in about a week but the point is this: dynasty players, particularly in new dynasty leagues, worry too darn much about winning this season at the expense of the future. Just watch: Joe Addai and CHad Johnson will likely go before Jahvid Best and Percy Harvin which makes for a great 2010 and an AWFUL 2013. If you expect this league will actually survive more then a couple years (and most dynasty leagues do not) then you are doing yourself a favor to get as many RBs under 26, as many WRs under 28, and as many QBs under 29 as you can possibly stow away. Once the league gets its sea legs, you'll be shocked at how much value you can get for a player like Vince Young that you selected in round 8 a few years from now when other teams are watching Manning, Favre, and Palmer exit the league.Good luck. Hope it goes well.
Are you still taking Rodgers 1.01 this year ?I just seen a new start up $750 where Rodgers went 2.07 and Brees at 6.01 and you were taking Rodgers at 1.01 last year ? Brees in the 1st ? Ouch.

Texans RBs coach Chick Harris on Arian Foster:

Arian possesses size. He's a 225-, 230-pound back, so he's a bigger back, quite naturally larger than Steve (Slaton), and he showed significant power in the games he played in the last part of the season. I think he's developed a lot of confidence that he can run between tackles, and he also has enough speed to get outside. He has a feel for pass protection. Very smart, and he adjusts real well on the run.
The only problem with trying to acquire Foster is that his owners think he's the 2nd coming of Adrian Peterson... I'm exaggerating a bit, but Jesus, these guys want #1 RB value in return. You have Slaton, and then Houston spent a 2nd round pick on Ben Tate..... I'm not a Tate fan, but most organizations don't draft guys in the 2nd round to sit the bench. I view Foster as RB depth with decent upside to be a #2 Fantasy back, not a #1.
Just curious, what type of value have you been seeing? From what I'm seeing, it goes both ways- there is a market for Foster, but no one is willing to give up much (mid 2nd round rookie pick type value is what I've been seeing). Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather take a chance on Foster than a 4th or 5th tier rookie WR. Most likely neither will pan out, but the upside of Foster is worth more than that type of a pick IMO.
I agree. I don't want to get into specifics, but I'll use F & L rankings to give you an idea. I started with offering an early to mid 2nd to one guy. He wanted a top 12 RB who is younger than Foster in return. I've made a few other offers where I give Tier 4/5 WR's... added a 3rd round pick to one offer. One owner kind of blasted me for my initial offer. I said ok, please take a look at my roster, and let me know who you're interested in. He continued to ##### about my initial offer. I certainly don't blame the Foster owners for declining my initial offers, but they were reasonable offers IMO. Asking for a younger top 12 RB and/or pulling out the soap-box over a trade offers for a guy like Foster is a bit much IMO.

ETA: The WR's I offered are in line to start and are between 23 and 26 years of age according to F & L's information.
Thats the thing with guys like Foster. They get talked about here by guys who are looking to make a "bold prediction". Next thing you know, the player becomes overhyped, and his perceived value far outweighs his actual value. Assuming Slatons neck is OK, Foster is the 3rd string RB, no matter how many fluff peices people post in here about him.
Looks like that 3rd string RB from Houston is now the #1 overall dynasty pick in a lot of new dynasty start ups.

Arian possesses size. He's a 225-, 230-pound back, so he's a bigger back, quite naturally larger than Steve (Slaton), and he showed significant power in the games he played in the last part of the season. I think he's developed a lot of confidence that he can run between tackles, and he also has enough speed to get outside. He has a feel for pass protection. Very smart, and he adjusts real well on the run.
The only problem with trying to acquire Foster is that his owners think he's the 2nd coming of Adrian Peterson... I'm exaggerating a bit, but Jesus, these guys want #1 RB value in return. You have Slaton, and then Houston spent a 2nd round pick on Ben Tate..... I'm not a Tate fan, but most organizations don't draft guys in the 2nd round to sit the bench. I view Foster as RB depth with decent upside to be a #2 Fantasy back, not a #1.
Just curious, what type of value have you been seeing? From what I'm seeing, it goes both ways- there is a market for Foster, but no one is willing to give up much (mid 2nd round rookie pick type value is what I've been seeing). Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather take a chance on Foster than a 4th or 5th tier rookie WR. Most likely neither will pan out, but the upside of Foster is worth more than that type of a pick IMO.
I agree. I don't want to get into specifics, but I'll use F & L rankings to give you an idea. I started with offering an early to mid 2nd to one guy. He wanted a top 12 RB who is younger than Foster in return. I've made a few other offers where I give Tier 4/5 WR's... added a 3rd round pick to one offer. One owner kind of blasted me for my initial offer. I said ok, please take a look at my roster, and let me know who you're interested in. He continued to ##### about my initial offer. I certainly don't blame the Foster owners for declining my initial offers, but they were reasonable offers IMO. Asking for a younger top 12 RB and/or pulling out the soap-box over a trade offers for a guy like Foster is a bit much IMO.

ETA: The WR's I offered are in line to start and are between 23 and 26 years of age according to F & L's information.
Thats the thing with guys like Foster. They get talked about here by guys who are looking to make a "bold prediction". Next thing you know, the player becomes overhyped, and his perceived value far outweighs his actual value. Assuming Slatons neck is OK, Foster is the 3rd string RB, no matter how many fluff peices people post in here about him.
Looks like that 3rd string RB from Houston is now the #1 overall dynasty pick in a lot of new dynasty start ups.
Wow, again? How many things did you skip over that I got right to get to that? Where are your predictions from last season? Dont answer, for my sake anyway, I wont be able to see it.

I'd that case, I'd take 1 QB and 2 WR with my first three picks...(in order)

Rodgers, Brees, Rivers/Schaub, Schaub/Rivers.

Marshall, White, Crabtree, Jennings, Bryant, Desean, Rice

....then I'd hit rounds 4 through 6 for RBs (not in order) like Moreno, Best, Matthews (likely gone), Green, Wells, McCoy, Felix, D. Brown and another QB (Stafford, Roethlisberger, Kolb or Manning if you're lucky) Smith, or Henne.

Get out of the first 6 rounds with two RBs under 25, two QBs under 29, and two WRs under 27 and you will have a very enviable dynasty team that will start killing people in 2011 and beyond.

My "Year Two" article will be out in about a week but the point is this: dynasty players, particularly in new dynasty leagues, worry too darn much about winning this season at the expense of the future. Just watch: Joe Addai and CHad Johnson will likely go before Jahvid Best and Percy Harvin which makes for a great 2010 and an AWFUL 2013. If you expect this league will actually survive more then a couple years (and most dynasty leagues do not) then you are doing yourself a favor to get as many RBs under 26, as many WRs under 28, and as many QBs under 29 as you can possibly stow away. Once the league gets its sea legs, you'll be shocked at how much value you can get for a player like Vince Young that you selected in round 8 a few years from now when other teams are watching Manning, Favre, and Palmer exit the league.

Good luck. Hope it goes well.
Solid Advice! I had a similiar plan.... 16 Team PPR IDP Start up, but apparently so did the rest of the league... I had 1.09

Rodgers was gone 1.04, Brees at 1.06 & Rivers at 1.08... I passed on P Manning (who went 2.11)

Went DeA Williams 1.09, Crabtree 2.08, Wells 3.09, Ruud 4.14, Sims-Walker 5.07, Eli 5.09, Ocho 6.08, Levy 6.12

The idea of talent & youth goes a long way to building a solid core for a dynasty team.

I made the decision early to trade away my rookie 1st & 2nd for upgrades in the Vet picks - targeting young starters allowed me that opportunity.
Wow you are so screwed

Wow, again? How many things did you skip over that I got right to get to that? Where are your predictions from last season? Dont answer, for my sake anyway, I wont be able to see it.
I myself did not come around on Foster soon enough either though I did feel he had every bit of a chance to start as the other 2.I did 2 dynasty start ups last year I passed on Foster in July (pre Tate injury) in round 9, and passed on Foster in round 6 in August (post Tate injury). I think me passing on Foster in August with Tate hurt was a huge mistake I was hoping he would fall to my 7th round pick I guess sometimes greed gets the best of us.

Last year was the 1st time I did a dynasty start up since 1997 so I never really cared much for ranking players as it never really mattered much until last year. I have every set of rookie only rankings I have done since 1997 so I would be happy to share those with you but I don't have a "dynasty" rankings list though since I did 2 drafts last year I can pretty much tell you what I was thinking on any player during last season if you want to know about a specific player.

Dude, you have got to do something different with your sig. It's a huge PITA trying to read the last few posts with a four inch rainbow separating them all.

The Falcons had maybe the worst #2 WR(s) in the league. Not only did they get an upgrade at the postition, its a huge upgrade. The biggest factor is what a WR like that does for the rest of the offense, especially Roddy White.
So, do you think it increased or decreased White's value? My first thought was that it would help because he would see less coverage. Apparently F&L sees it as a big hit to White putting it number 2 on his list of draft losers. From his Rotoworld article, here: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/38028/59/?pg=12. Roddy White - It's no secret that wide receiver fantasy success directly corresponds to consistently high target numbers, but White is an extreme case. A true volume receiver, White has racked up 18 more targets than any other NFL wideout over the past two seasons. While he earns plenty of credit for an ability to get open against stacked coverage, White has been force-fed the ball with no semblance of a threat on the opposite side. His counting stats have gone up, but only at the expense of his per-play effectiveness. Enter Julio Jones, hand-picked to draw attention -- and valuable targets -- away from Matt Ryan's go-to receiver. White is entering his age-30 season, which means the downslope is coming soon for a player who isn't quite Hall of Fame caliber. Within 2-3 years, I expect Jones to be outproducing White as Ryan's top target.

Ultimately, I think the biggest winner will probably be the RB in that offense.

'Jail said:
So, do you think it increased or decreased White's value? My first thought was that it would help because he would see less coverage. Apparently F&L sees it as a big hit to White putting it number 2 on his list of draft losers. From his Rotoworld article, here: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/38028/59/?pg=12. Roddy White - It's no secret that wide receiver fantasy success directly corresponds to consistently high target numbers, but White is an extreme case. A true volume receiver, White has racked up 18 more targets than any other NFL wideout over the past two seasons. While he earns plenty of credit for an ability to get open against stacked coverage, White has been force-fed the ball with no semblance of a threat on the opposite side. His counting stats have gone up, but only at the expense of his per-play effectiveness. Enter Julio Jones, hand-picked to draw attention -- and valuable targets -- away from Matt Ryan's go-to receiver. White is entering his age-30 season, which means the downslope is coming soon for a player who isn't quite Hall of Fame caliber. Within 2-3 years, I expect Jones to be outproducing White as Ryan's top target.

Ultimately, I think the biggest winner will probably be the RB in that offense.
I could see the addition of Jones helping White, but as a White owner I'm afraid it will hurt more than help. White is a great WR no doubt, but part of what makes him a top 5 fantasy WR is the amount of targets he gets. When all is said and done though, I dont expect a drastic change either way. A few less targets but a little more room to work.Oh, and I think the biggest winner is easily Matt Ryan....especially with Turner another year older. The Falcons didn't burn all those picks on a WR to continue to be a run first team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly the rationale that led me to trade for Ryan. I'm reasonably certain I'll be rolling with him as my starter, too. And I'm shockingly unfazed by that, which surprises me, since I traded Rivers not too long ago and was very worried when my best QB was Fitzpatrick.

But I'm very comfortable with Ryan, now that Ive acquired him. He's ready to take that next step. Many say that Flacco is underrated and is a similar talent to Ryan. I don't beleive that. But perhaps more importantly, the Ravens haven't done as well a job as the Falcons have in surrounding their young franchise QB with talent conducive to huge fantasy numbers. Rice will be the star of that show for a few more years; honestly, the best thing that could happen to Flacco owners would be for that defense to finally degrade once Lewis and Reed leave/age, because they'll be less conservative on offense.

Back to Ryan, I think that the huge investment in Jones, and the drafting of Quizz Rodgers, makes the future plans clear for all to see: Ryan is the centerpiece of that offense now.

Glad this topic was pinned. Hopefully it kickstarts it back up again.

'The Real Yoda said:
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/38169/59/draft-fallout-dynasty-winners?pg=1soooo, pretty much all the QB's in the league gained? That's all we can get for dynasty winners? zzzzzzzzzzzz
In his intro he goes into how FA will turn situations around quickly. QB situations are more stable. He didn't choose QBs on teams expected to dabble in FA like Henne or Skelton. He does point out in the footnote that SJax and Blount are pretty big winners. People are assuming Moreno is a loser even though Denver didn't pick a RB. The "draft fallout" is a winner, but he could still find himself a 3rd down back in a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread