What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (9 Viewers)

How do people feel about Jordy Nelson's value relative to James Jones at this point. Is Nelson the young WR in GB to own at this point (obviously, aside from Jennings)?
I don't think anyone knows who's going to win that battle. Jones is a good player. Reminds me a little bit of Cotchery. He's coordinated and athletic. He just isn't very fast. Nelson doesn't really wow you on the field, but he's contributing as a rookie and he comes with the Ted Thompson seal approval. I see this is a coin flip. I don't think either player is a future superstar, but I think they both have a realistic chance of becoming useful FF players once Driver finally moves on.
I have to give a decisive edge to Jordy.He has seen more action, and has mademore of his opportunity than James Jones.
Hasn't Jones been limited by injuries this season?If you compare their rookie years side by side, Jones has better numbers.
Yeah, I'm concerned that Jones can't shake that knee injury. Is this something that will hang with him throughout his career?I like Nelson better despite Jones' rookie year advantage.
Having watched every game of both of their careers, I think I now have a grasp on them. I think the decisive advantage goes to James Jones. You have to view this season as a lost one for him due to the knee injury. He tried coming back too early and reinjured it twice by doing so this season. Looking at both of their bodies of work to date, I prefer Jones because he's a much better down the field threat. He made ten explosive plays (longer than 20 yards) last year. He made three longer than 34 yards in one game this year. Nelsons' three biggest plays this year were catches between 23-29 yards. Their YPC reflects that as well. Jones' career YPC is 14.2. Nelsons' is 11.1. Jones has proven that he's got some skills in deep ball tracking, and can beat NFL corners deep. I haven't seen anything like that from Nelson. Jones was one of the two players singled out as having a great training camp and preseason this year before the MCL injury. However, I don't know what 2009 will bring for Jones because of the fact that Driver is still a quality WR, and was clearly not washed up in 2008. He may not make the "jump" until 2010. I do agree with EBF in that speed is not Jones' main weapon. He has adequate speed not great. Its his build that is his main weapon. He's 6-1, 218 pounds and all muscle. He's not as fluid as Anquan Boldin (6-1, 217), but he's built like him. Jones will be breaking tackles and running over DBs soon. I did see a negative report on Jones on PFW recently stating he needs to get tougher (especially in his blocking) if he wants to play ahead of Nelson next year. Personally, I am willing to dismiss that due to his struggles with the knee this year. As for Nelson, I do think he's going to play for a long time in the league. His hands are fantastic. He's a good blocker. But I just don't see the skills there to be a dominate WR. He's a long strider and doesn't seem to have short area quicks to me. I think the upside for his career would be to find himself in a situation like TJ Houshmandzadeh, ie playing across from a true threat. But like Housh, he will probably need 90-100 catches to reach 1000 yards. I think the more likely scenario finds him with a Bobby Engram like career. A true asset to his team and a chain mover. Yet basically little to no help to your fantasy team.

Having watched every game of both of their careers, I think I now have a grasp on them. I think the decisive advantage goes to James Jones. You have to view this season as a lost one for him due to the knee injury. He tried coming back too early and reinjured it twice by doing so this season. Looking at both of their bodies of work to date, I prefer Jones because he's a much better down the field threat. He made ten explosive plays (longer than 20 yards) last year. He made three longer than 34 yards in one game this year. Nelsons' three biggest plays this year were catches between 23-29 yards. Their YPC reflects that as well. Jones' career YPC is 14.2. Nelsons' is 11.1. Jones has proven that he's got some skills in deep ball tracking, and can beat NFL corners deep. I haven't seen anything like that from Nelson. Jones was one of the two players singled out as having a great training camp and preseason this year before the MCL injury. However, I don't know what 2009 will bring for Jones because of the fact that Driver is still a quality WR, and was clearly not washed up in 2008. He may not make the "jump" until 2010. I do agree with EBF in that speed is not Jones' main weapon. He has adequate speed not great. Its his build that is his main weapon. He's 6-1, 218 pounds and all muscle. He's not as fluid as Anquan Boldin (6-1, 217), but he's built like him. Jones will be breaking tackles and running over DBs soon. I did see a negative report on Jones on PFW recently stating he needs to get tougher (especially in his blocking) if he wants to play ahead of Nelson next year. Personally, I am willing to dismiss that due to his struggles with the knee this year. As for Nelson, I do think he's going to play for a long time in the league. His hands are fantastic. He's a good blocker. But I just don't see the skills there to be a dominate WR. He's a long strider and doesn't seem to have short area quicks to me. I think the upside for his career would be to find himself in a situation like TJ Houshmandzadeh, ie playing across from a true threat. But like Housh, he will probably need 90-100 catches to reach 1000 yards. I think the more likely scenario finds him with a Bobby Engram like career. A true asset to his team and a chain mover. Yet basically little to no help to your fantasy team.
This is spot-on. Well done.

This is spot-on. Well done.
:hifive: Thanks, Kitrick. I know you always have a great read on the Packers. I like Nelson, but you make a good point that Jones is a more explosive receiver. He's more of a playmaker whereas Nelson seems like more of a possession receiver right now.

Who are you looking to move or acquire this offseason?

I am looking for a list something like this:

Deangelo Williams - Hold

LT - Sell

Pierre Thomas - Buy

Mainly looking for players that are ripe for making a move at.

spec1alk said:
Who are you looking to move or acquire this offseason?I am looking for a list something like this:Deangelo Williams - HoldLT - SellPierre Thomas - BuyMainly looking for players that are ripe for making a move at.
Good question. I haven't really sat down and looked hard enough to put together a list because we're still right in the heart of our playoffs. But that's not a bad idea. I'll make it my next mini-project.

spec1alk said:
Who are you looking to move or acquire this offseason?I am looking for a list something like this:Deangelo Williams - HoldLT - SellPierre Thomas - BuyMainly looking for players that are ripe for making a move at.
Good question. I haven't really sat down and looked hard enough to put together a list because we're still right in the heart of our playoffs. But that's not a bad idea. I'll make it my next mini-project.
I forgot you play through the playoffs. My season ended in week 16 and trading is now open. Whenever you can get to it, that would be great. I wouldn't even mind if it was a post on your blog.I was also thinking that short descriptions for non-obvious states would be helpful. Something like:Deangelo Williams - Sell - Had a huge season, but I am leary of making him a Hold because he was horrible last year when Delhomme was hurt, and he splits with Stewart who is the better talent.Antonio Bryant - Sell - Sell him while you can get great value for him. Very productive player, but he is too full of himself, blames everyone else for his mistakes, and thinks the world is out to get him. Will only lead to more issues that are "not his fault". Carries too much risk.I suppose some of this can be implied from the rankings, but it would be nice to get a list of 6 or so buy/sell at RB & WR, 3 buy/sell at QB & TE.

spec1alk said:
I forgot you play through the playoffs. My season ended in week 16 and trading is now open. Whenever you can get to it, that would be great. I wouldn't even mind if it was a post on your blog.I was also thinking that short descriptions for non-obvious states would be helpful. Something like:Deangelo Williams - Sell - Had a huge season, but I am leary of making him a Hold because he was horrible last year when Delhomme was hurt, and he splits with Stewart who is the better talent.Antonio Bryant - Sell - Sell him while you can get great value for him. Very productive player, but he is too full of himself, blames everyone else for his mistakes, and thinks the world is out to get him. Will only lead to more issues that are "not his fault". Carries too much risk.I suppose some of this can be implied from the rankings, but it would be nice to get a list of 6 or so buy/sell at RB & WR, 3 buy/sell at QB & TE.
Good examples. May have been hypothetical, but I don't know if we can say Jonathan Stewart is a better talent than DeAngelo Williams any longer.

spec1alk said:

Deangelo Williams - Hold

LT - Sell

Pierre Thomas - Buy

I forgot you play through the playoffs. My season ended in week 16 and trading is now open. Whenever you can get to it, that would be great. I wouldn't even mind if it was a post on your blog.I was also thinking that short descriptions for non-obvious states would be helpful. Something like:

Deangelo Williams - Sell - Had a huge season, but I am leary of making him a Hold because he was horrible last year when Delhomme was hurt, and he splits with Stewart who is the better talent.
Lol.

spec1alk said:

Deangelo Williams - Hold

LT - Sell

Pierre Thomas - Buy

I forgot you play through the playoffs. My season ended in week 16 and trading is now open. Whenever you can get to it, that would be great. I wouldn't even mind if it was a post on your blog.I was also thinking that short descriptions for non-obvious states would be helpful. Something like:

Deangelo Williams - Sell - Had a huge season, but I am leary of making him a Hold because he was horrible last year when Delhomme was hurt, and he splits with Stewart who is the better talent.
Lol.
Not sure he's right, but I'm not sure you can " :goodposting: " that one either.Its pretty obvious that John Fox hates rookies, at least at RB if not across the field. He's constantly held players back that fantasy circles have thought were superior talents, but it makes it very hard to tell what's really going on, since we're batting about .500 in our analysis.

I know its comparing apples with a different type of apples, but Stewart did have a much better rookie year than DeAngelo did in almost every category. Personally, its a little easier for me to write off Stewart's middling role behind a stunning DeAngelo that it is for me to write off DeAngelo's non-emergence behind a pedestrian DeShaun Foster.

Either way, both look like very good RBs, but whether its because of talent or because of Fox, the guys that held or bought low on DeAngelo are in the driver's seat for the near future. Nice problem for Carolina, PITA for Stewart owners.

Personally, its a little easier for me to write off Stewart's middling role behind a stunning DeAngelo that it is for me to write off DeAngelo's non-emergence behind a pedestrian DeShaun Foster.
You're still questioning Deangelo based on Fox's 2006-7 handling of him/Foster even after a 1500/20 TD season? That seems strange.

F&L -

What NFL offenses do you think will be in transformation over the next two years?

Example: I think SD becauses a very pass happy offense.

Personally, its a little easier for me to write off Stewart's middling role behind a stunning DeAngelo that it iswas for me to write off DeAngelo's non-emergence behind a pedestrian DeShaun Foster.
You're still questioning Deangelo based on Fox's 2006-7 handling of him/Foster even after a 1500/20 TD season? That seems strange.
Nope, he's pretty good. I'm not putting him with the elite guys just yet, but I can wait a year. I'm not buying at his current price in dynasty, and I can deal with missing him in 2009 redrafts. In any case, I fixed the above for you. What I meant was that I see more promise in Stewart now that I did in DeAngelo at this point in his career. More than anything my point was that I think saying DeAngelo is definitively a better talent than Stewart is as silly as saying Stewart is definitively a better talent that Deangelo. Metrics exist for both views, and neither failed the eyeball test in 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, its a little easier for me to write off Stewart's middling role behind a stunning DeAngelo that it iswas for me to write off DeAngelo's non-emergence behind a pedestrian DeShaun Foster.
Nope, he's pretty good. I'm not putting him with the elite guys just yet, but I can wait a year. I'm not buying at his current price in dynasty, and I can deal with missing him in 2009 redrafts. In any case, I fixed the above for you. What I meant was that I see more promise in Stewart now that I did in DeAngelo at this point in his career. More than anything my point was that I think saying DeAngelo is definitively a better talent than Stewart is as silly as saying Stewart is definitively a better talent that Deangelo. Metrics exist for both views, and neither failed the eyeball test in 2008.
Fair enough. I own both so I am pretty unbiased. My take is that Stewart to some extent validated injury concerns during this season, where he had 2 injuries interrupt even a 30% workload. Deangelo on the other hand looks like he's simply never taking direct hits with his instincts. Not sure Fox could justify not giving Deangelo this primary role after a season like this. Seems like he only has downside to changing things up.

I know this player is a little further down the WR list but you seem to see some dynasty potential in Malcom Floyd. I'm not seeing it. What is your rationale there?

I know this player is a little further down the WR list but you seem to see some dynasty potential in Malcom Floyd. I'm not seeing it. What is your rationale there?
I don't think I especially like Floyd, but I probably hadn't completely flipped the calendar on 2008 value with my playoffs still going on. He was decent enough in small doses this season, but his ceiling is limited and opportunity questionable at best. He is in the "grab bag" section, though, which is where he should be.

F&L - What NFL offenses do you think will be in transformation over the next two years?Example: I think SD becauses a very pass happy offense.
This is another good question. First one that came to mind is I wonder what Denver will look like post-Shanny. He's had fantasy-friendly offenses for a long, long time. Let me think about it, and I'll try to come up with a list.

F&L - When do you work in next year's rookie class? After the draft?
Yeah, it's going to be after the draft -- when I know NFL destination -- before I even attempt it. Ranking rookies is enough of a fool's errand even when we do know their NFL teams.

Fair enough. I own both so I am pretty unbiased. My take is that Stewart to some extent validated injury concerns during this season, where he had 2 injuries interrupt even a 30% workload. Deangelo on the other hand looks like he's simply never taking direct hits with his instincts. Not sure Fox could justify not giving Deangelo this primary role after a season like this. Seems like he only has downside to changing things up.
It was just an example.It does beg the question though if DWill is a sell high. He is coming off a tremendous year, but how far (if at all) could he stumble? Like was mentioned in the previous post, how much higher could he go? It seems like he can only go down from here. If he is likely to regress, then perhaps now is the time to move him while his value is high. I am not sure I consider him a "core" player like I would a Peyton Manning, ADP, MJD, SJ, Chris Johnson (although I am not as high on him as others), Fitz, Calvin Johnson.

A guy who has alot of value right now, but that could continue to rise would be someone like Matt Forte imo. Could he be a "core" player?

What I am looking for is the guys like Ryan Grant of last year. He should have been sold during the offseason (even after the draft since GB didn't really take a RB that would challenge him). On the "buy low" side, I would say someone like Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, or Chris Johnson. Even a Thomas Jones (who could have been had for a song and was very valuable in start 3 RB leagues).

What I am looking for is the guys like Ryan Grant of last year. He should have been sold during the offseason (even after the draft since GB didn't really take a RB that would challenge him). On the "buy low" side, I would say someone like Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, or Chris Johnson. Even a Thomas Jones (who could have been had for a song and was very valuable in start 3 RB leagues).
After the 2003 season, I had Julius Jones and Kevin Jones on one of my dynasty rosters. Both of those guys are near worthless in FF leagues right now, but that wasn't the case at the time. They were consensus top 3-4 rookie picks who had shown serious flashes of talent during their rookie seasons. Both guys were ranked as consensus top 10 dynasty RBs. Should I have sold high? Of course, but it's a lot tougher to make that call when you're the one sitting there with two 22 year old RBs who look like future stars. You tend to want to keep guys like that. How was I to know that they had both already peaked?Knowing when to buy and sell is a delicate art. On some level it's just a judgment call. I think Eddie Royal is going to be a useful FF player for a long time. Why? Because he was a high pick, he has freakish combine numbers, he had rare production for a rookie WR, and he passes the eyeball test with flying colors. I'd feel comfortable acquiring him in a dynasty league at his current cost.

I'm less certain about someone like Matt Forte. He had a great FF season, but there are reasons to doubt him. Most of his production was the result of a huge workload and a slightly skewed (IMO) number of TDs. He wasn't a workout warrior like Eddie Royal (he doesn't have rare physical gifts) and, more importantly, he was held under 4.0 YPC in 10 of his 16 games last season. He didn't play exceptionally well. He just put up exceptional FF numbers. I think it's possible that he'll become a consistent top 10 performer, but I'm not convinced that it's probable. Given that Forte will certainly be valued as a consensus top 10 RB this offseason, he's an example of someone I would try to sell.

Ultimately, there's no way to know for sure. It's just a judgment call. You have to weigh the variables and make a decision. The quality of your decisions will determine the fate of your team.

I am not sure I consider him a "core" player like I would a Peyton Manning, ADP, MJD, SJ, Chris Johnson (although I am not as high on him as others), Fitz, Calvin Johnson.

Love Johnson's apparent talent but what is the story behind his complaining about the ROY voting. I worry about his hanging with Lendale White. I want to see him get the most out of his talent not be happy with mediocrity. I hope he isn't looking over the bridge into the water too much.

I am not sure I consider him a "core" player like I would a Peyton Manning, ADP, MJD, SJ, Chris Johnson (although I am not as high on him as others), Fitz, Calvin Johnson.

Love Johnson's apparent talent but what is the story behind his complaining about the ROY voting. I worry about his hanging with Lendale White. I want to see him get the most out of his talent not be happy with mediocrity. I hope he isn't looking over the bridge into the water too much.
He was the engine that made the offense go on the best team in the league -- and he did it against 8 & 9 man fronts for most of the season. It was an immature gripe, but I'm sure he thought he deserved the award. By all accounts from teammates and coaches, he's a great kid. I think he just made a stupid statement out of frustration.

After the 2003 season, I had Julius Jones and Kevin Jones on one of my dynasty rosters. Both of those guys are near worthless in FF leagues right now, but that wasn't the case at the time. They were consensus top 3-4 rookie picks who had shown serious flashes of talent during their rookie seasons. Both guys were ranked as consensus top 10 dynasty RBs. Should I have sold high? Of course, but it's a lot tougher to make that call when you're the one sitting there with two 22 year old RBs who look like future stars. You tend to want to keep guys like that. How was I to know that they had both already peaked?Knowing when to buy and sell is a delicate art. On some level it's just a judgment call. I think Eddie Royal is going to be a useful FF player for a long time. Why? Because he was a high pick, he has freakish combine numbers, he had rare production for a rookie WR, and he passes the eyeball test with flying colors. I'd feel comfortable acquiring him in a dynasty league at his current cost.

I'm less certain about someone like Matt Forte. He had a great FF season, but there are reasons to doubt him. Most of his production was the result of a huge workload and a slightly skewed (IMO) number of TDs. He wasn't a workout warrior like Eddie Royal (he doesn't have rare physical gifts) and, more importantly, he was held under 4.0 YPC in 10 of his 16 games last season. He didn't play exceptionally well. He just put up exceptional FF numbers. I think it's possible that he'll become a consistent top 10 performer, but I'm not convinced that it's probable. Given that Forte will certainly be valued as a consensus top 10 RB this offseason, he's an example of someone I would try to sell.

Ultimately, there's no way to know for sure. It's just a judgment call. You have to weigh the variables and make a decision. The quality of your decisions will determine the fate of your team.
:goodposting: IMO, this is what separates the best Dynasty league owners from the rest of the pack. It's an inexact science, to be sure, but the three things I look for are:

1. Elite talent

2. Likelihood of injuries

3. Does he produce as a great NFL player, not just a great fantasy player.

You win some, and you lose some. You just better hope you win a lot more than you lose.

I remember running out and acquiring Dominick Davis (Williams) in pre-season of his rookie year because I saw that he was easily the best runner on the Texans (I think Stacey Mack was their presumed starter?). I also remember making it a point to deal him as soon as his rookie season was over because I didn't think his value was going to be stable for the next 3-4 years. I think I did the exact same thing with Willie Parker, too. To be fair, I also tried a similar tactic with Tatum Bell at one point, offering some of the best players on my roster to try to get him -- only to be turned down by his owner. And it's not just an end-of-the-year decision making process, either, sometimes you have to trade a guy like Selvin Young coming off a breakout game or two.

I feel the same away about Forte as EBF does. I think he's a good NFL back, well-rounded, smart, tough, etc. I just think he's probably a bit overvalued right now because of his heavy rookie workload.

It's no secret that I don't think Steve Slaton's value is very stable either. He's a good fit for the one-cut-and-go offense, but he's not as talented as a guy like Chris Johnson, and he's almost certain to be paired with a bigger back in the future.

While we're on the subject, I think this is the one area where religiously reading the Shark Pool actually hurts. I think many of us have terrific instincts on players and strong feelings, only to be swayed by majority opinion here in the Pool. Don't get me wrong, being open-minded and learning as much as we can from other posters is tremendously beneficial. But it's hard to cut through the hype when every player in the league has his own bandwagon on this message board.

I brought up Selvin Young earlier because he was a guy I targeted in all my leagues early in his rookie year. I decided somewhere along the line that he would never be more than a bit player, so I dealt him before his season was over in 2007. Then last offseason, Travis Henry gets chopped, and guys like Coach Potato -- whom I respect as much as anybody in the Shark Pool -- come out and say that Selvin Young is the real deal and the next great Denver back. It didn't make me run back out and re-acquire Young, but it did sway my opinion a bit about his chances to have a fantasy relevant future.

Guys like Peyton Hillis, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Jerious Norwood, Cedric Benson, Michael Bush, Leon Washington, Jerome Harrison, Maurice Morris -- they all get hyped by one corner of this board or another. It's easy to walk away from a thread believing that these players have much brighter futures than they realistically offer . . . especially after a big game or two.

It's an inexact science, to be sure, but the three things I look for are:1. Elite talent2. Likelihood of injuries3. Does he produce as a great NFL player, not just a great fantasy player.
With this is mind, any thoughts on Vincent Jackson? You gave him a significant bump in the latest rankings. I'm pleased with his continued improvement year-over-year and ability to stay healthy but can he be a great NFL player? It looks like we might have to worry about a knucklehead factor with him too.

F&L - What NFL offenses do you think will be in transformation over the next two years?Example: I think SD becauses a very pass happy offense.
Just jotting down notes off the top of my head:MIA - Should remain run-heavyNE - McDaniels may leave, but it's still the Belichick systemNYJ - New coaching staff, but likely to stay run-heavy with a good O-Line, Jones/Washington, and possibly a draft pick RBBUF - Will remain run-heavy with Lynch/JacksonPIT - Similar, but should be more effective both running & passing the ball in '09BAL - Run-heavy, but Flacco will get a longer leashCIN - Should be more WR-friendly, still O-Line concernsCLE - Too early to tell, passing game will bounce back somewhat. Who runs the ball?TEN - Will remain run-heavyIND - Same as alwaysHOU - Similar, but may run a bit more with a bigger back joining SlatonJAX - Too early to tell on offseason acquisitions, but should return to running rootsSD - Moving to a heavier passing offenseDEN - Too early to tell, but Shanny departure = sea changeOAK - Russell should be given more leewayKC - Spread probably ditchedNYG - Will remain run-heavyPHI - Same as long as Reid/McNabb remainDAL - Should stay the same; if Garrett leaves could be more run-heavyWAS - I have no idea, but I assume Portis-basedMIN - Don't know who will be brought in to QB, but still Peterson/Taylor heavyCHI - Should remain run-heavyGB - Passing game friendlyDET - Who knows? Calvin Johnson & Kevin Smith are all they haveCAR - Now definitely run-heavy with bombs to Steve Smith throw inATL - Could see a bump in pass opps with Ryan getting comfyTB - Same old Gruden offenseNO - Same old Payton offense, but maybe a slight uptick in running gameARI - Should stay pass happy to suit offensive talentSF - Definitely moving to run-heavy attackSEA - West coast offenseSTL - Should be very run-heavy in '09

Just jotting down notes off the top of my head:MIA - Should remain run-heavyNE - McDaniels may leave, but it's still the Belichick systemNYJ - New coaching staff, but likely to stay run-heavy with a good O-Line, Jones/Washington, and possibly a draft pick RBBUF - Will remain run-heavy with Lynch/JacksonPIT - Similar, but should be more effective both running & passing the ball in '09BAL - Run-heavy, but Flacco will get a longer leashCIN - Should be more WR-friendly, still O-Line concernsCLE - Too early to tell, passing game will bounce back somewhat. Who runs the ball?TEN - Will remain run-heavyIND - Same as alwaysHOU - Similar, but may run a bit more with a bigger back joining SlatonJAX - Too early to tell on offseason acquisitions, but should return to running rootsSD - Moving to a heavier passing offenseDEN - Too early to tell, but Shanny departure = sea changeOAK - Russell should be given more leewayKC - Spread probably ditchedNYG - Will remain run-heavyPHI - Same as long as Reid/McNabb remainDAL - Should stay the same; if Garrett leaves could be more run-heavyWAS - I have no idea, but I assume Portis-basedMIN - Don't know who will be brought in to QB, but still Peterson/Taylor heavyCHI - Should remain run-heavyGB - Passing game friendlyDET - Who knows? Calvin Johnson & Kevin Smith are all they haveCAR - Now definitely run-heavy with bombs to Steve Smith throw inATL - Could see a bump in pass opps with Ryan getting comfyTB - Same old Gruden offenseNO - Same old Payton offense, but maybe a slight uptick in running gameARI - Should stay pass happy to suit offensive talentSF - Definitely moving to run-heavy attackSEA - West coast offenseSTL - Should be very run-heavy in '09
:no: I pretty much agree with most of it. I do think the Steelers will run more next year and the Lions will too...at least as long as they can stay close.

bit and moved Chris Johnson to get MJD in one of my dynos...haha now I'm kicking myself a little bit, not in terms of MJD, who I'm huge on, but just off the possibility CJ3 blows up...curious what you guys thought?

I think the main reason I did it is that (barring injury) I see this season as MJD's floor going forward--Kerry Collins deteriorating could lead to CJ3 struggling despite his talent--and I have a strong WR corps (Roddy, Marshall, Bryant with S. Moss as WR4) that should be the differentiator in most games--I felt like i needed to reduce risk of a total bust year from a starting RB even at expense of possible explosive talent.

bit and moved Chris Johnson to get MJD in one of my dynos...haha now I'm kicking myself a little bit, not in terms of MJD, who I'm huge on, but just off the possibility CJ3 blows up...curious what you guys thought?

I think the main reason I did it is that (barring injury) I see this season as MJD's floor going forward--Kerry Collins deteriorating could lead to CJ3 struggling despite his talent--and I have a strong WR corps (Roddy, Marshall, Bryant with S. Moss as WR4) that should be the differentiator in most games--I felt like i needed to reduce risk of a total bust year from a starting RB even at expense of possible explosive talent.
I don't think you can go wrong with either as they're both elite talents. MJD is the better bet for 2009 and will score more TDs. Johnson has better homerun ability (though MJD's is nothing to sneeze at) and a better offensive line, but a worse QB situation. Short-term, I think you have to like MJD's value better . . . but I can understand how it would be tough to part with Johnson's potential.Rotoworld's Gregg Rosenthal has a terrific article up this week on the Top-50 players in keeper leagues. He's obviously targeting smaller 1-3 player keeper leagues as opposed to Dynasty.

Fear & Loathing said:
While we're on the subject, I think this is the one area where religiously reading the Shark Pool actually hurts. I think many of us have terrific instincts on players and strong feelings, only to be swayed by majority opinion here in the Pool. Don't get me wrong, being open-minded and learning as much as we can from other posters is tremendously beneficial. But it's hard to cut through the hype when every player in the league has his own bandwagon on this message board. I brought up Selvin Young earlier because he was a guy I targeted in all my leagues early in his rookie year. I decided somewhere along the line that he would never be more than a bit player, so I dealt him before his season was over in 2007. Then last offseason, Travis Henry gets chopped, and guys like Coach Potato -- whom I respect as much as anybody in the Shark Pool -- come out and say that Selvin Young is the real deal and the next great Denver back. It didn't make me run back out and re-acquire Young, but it did sway my opinion a bit about his chances to have a fantasy relevant future. Guys like Peyton Hillis, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Jerious Norwood, Cedric Benson, Michael Bush, Leon Washington, Jerome Harrison, Maurice Morris -- they all get hyped by one corner of this board or another. It's easy to walk away from a thread believing that these players have much brighter futures than they realistically offer . . . especially after a big game or two.
:popcorn: The interesting guy on F&L's list is Cedric Benson. He came out hyped, and did very little and looked just okay. He bounces out of the league, and looks "decent" on Cincy - maybe actually "good considering the OL". The performance Forte put up this year was what Benson would supposed to do - but now Forte leads the way for the Bears, not Benson.So it's interesting that we know Forte can be a top-10 back if everything goes right - but will it go right again? That's the question you need to ask yourself and if you can get a more proven player for him, think about taking it. If you think he's a solid NFL back and will be a good player for a while, that makes sense - if you want to deal him for what you think is a great deal, that makes sense. If you avoid the dumb moves, you're already ahead of the game some.Honestly, my goal is to try and ask myself very few judgement questions, because I get them wrong - a lot - when I draft offensive players. KJones, Rogers, Winslow, VDavis, Clayton(Bal).

Fear & Loathing said:
munchkin said:

He was the engine that made the offense go on the best team in the league -- and he did it against 8 & 9 man fronts for most of the season. It was an immature gripe, but I'm sure he thought he deserved the award. By all accounts from teammates and coaches, he's a great kid. I think he just made a stupid statement out of frustration.
Don't worry about LenDale - I feel he will be replaced by Quinton Ganther when his contract is up - or maybe sooner.

I don't think you can go wrong with either as they're both elite talents. MJD is the better bet for 2009 and will score more TDs. Johnson has better homerun ability (though MJD's is nothing to sneeze at) and a better offensive line, but a worse QB situation. Short-term, I think you have to like MJD's value better . . . but I can understand how it would be tough to part with Johnson's potential.Rotoworld's Gregg Rosenthal has a terrific article up this week on the Top-50 players in keeper leagues. He's obviously targeting smaller 1-3 player keeper leagues as opposed to Dynasty.
thanks for the input and the link...never hurts to have more sources of well thought out keeper/dyno rankingsI'm also curious, at what price do you think Reggie Bush is a reasonable risk/reward buy low?

Fear & Loathing said:
munchkin said:

I hope that is the case. I didn't see much of the story, only the headline. Thanks....

I've got a few questions about Jacksonville's OL, as i think it may play a significant part in MJD's value. I never really pay much attention to Jacksonville so i know little about them.

Was the major reason for poor OL play from Jacksonville last year due to injuries? If thats the case is their reasonable assurance that they will become one of the better OL in the league next year as they become healthier?

Fear & Loathing said:
I brought up Selvin Young earlier because he was a guy I targeted in all my leagues early in his rookie year. I decided somewhere along the line that he would never be more than a bit player, so I dealt him before his season was over in 2007. Then last offseason, Travis Henry gets chopped, and guys like Coach Potato -- whom I respect as much as anybody in the Shark Pool -- come out and say that Selvin Young is the real deal and the next great Denver back. It didn't make me run back out and re-acquire Young, but it did sway my opinion a bit about his chances to have a fantasy relevant future.
I seriously screwed the pooch on that one didn't I!! :thumbup: LOL. Thanks for the nice comment though. As you said in your previous post to the one I'm quoting, "You win some, and you lose some. You just better hope you win a lot more than you lose." I ended up winning the league in which I traded away Reggie Wayne for T.O. and Selvin Young, but it sure wasn't because of that horrible deal.Keep up the GREAT work on the blog, this thread, and at Rotoworld Chris. I haven't posted nearly as much this season as in years past due to personal and work time restrictions, but I still keep up. You're my hero, man. :confused:

I've got a few questions about Jacksonville's OL, as i think it may play a significant part in MJD's value. I never really pay much attention to Jacksonville so i know little about them. Was the major reason for poor OL play from Jacksonville last year due to injuries? If thats the case is their reasonable assurance that they will become one of the better OL in the league next year as they become healthier?
Yes, injuries were the major reason the OL play was abysmal this season. I wouldn't necessarily put them in the Top-5 or 10 going into next season, but there's no reason why they can't bounce back to above average.

Fear & Loathing said:
While we're on the subject, I think this is the one area where religiously reading the Shark Pool actually hurts. I think many of us have terrific instincts on players and strong feelings, only to be swayed by majority opinion here in the Pool. Don't get me wrong, being open-minded and learning as much as we can from other posters is tremendously beneficial. But it's hard to cut through the hype when every player in the league has his own bandwagon on this message board. I brought up Selvin Young earlier because he was a guy I targeted in all my leagues early in his rookie year. I decided somewhere along the line that he would never be more than a bit player, so I dealt him before his season was over in 2007. Then last offseason, Travis Henry gets chopped, and guys like Coach Potato -- whom I respect as much as anybody in the Shark Pool -- come out and say that Selvin Young is the real deal and the next great Denver back. It didn't make me run back out and re-acquire Young, but it did sway my opinion a bit about his chances to have a fantasy relevant future. Guys like Peyton Hillis, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Jerious Norwood, Cedric Benson, Michael Bush, Leon Washington, Jerome Harrison, Maurice Morris -- they all get hyped by one corner of this board or another. It's easy to walk away from a thread believing that these players have much brighter futures than they realistically offer . . . especially after a big game or two.
I am marking this post because there is a ton of gold here. so many fantasy players, even good fantasy players, get caught into the idea of being right on a player that the thread become useless to the masses. A few things happen in the player specific thread. 1) A young player become an unquestioned stud too quickly2) An old player hits the retirement home too quickly.3) Poster get too caught up in being right or at least making some bold prediction 4) poster forget most players are some shade of gray(they are not a true stud nor do they totally suck) 5) Not enough trusting the eyes versus trusting stats (often obsure ones) to prove a point.6) Too much debate over ranking a player only a handful of spots difference.

I've got a few questions about Jacksonville's OL, as i think it may play a significant part in MJD's value. I never really pay much attention to Jacksonville so i know little about them. Was the major reason for poor OL play from Jacksonville last year due to injuries? If thats the case is their reasonable assurance that they will become one of the better OL in the league next year as they become healthier?
Yes, injuries were the major reason the OL play was abysmal this season. I wouldn't necessarily put them in the Top-5 or 10 going into next season, but there's no reason why they can't bounce back to above average.
Do you think the Jaguars would consider spending a high pick on a OL or do they have bigger holes to worry about?

I am marking this post because there is a ton of gold here. so many fantasy players, even good fantasy players, get caught into the idea of being right on a player that the thread become useless to the masses. A few things happen in the player specific thread.

1) A young player become an unquestioned stud too quickly

2) An old player hits the retirement home too quickly.

3) Poster get too caught up in being right or at least making some bold prediction

4) poster forget most players are some shade of gray(they are not a true stud nor do they totally suck)

5) Not enough trusting the eyes versus trusting stats (often obsure ones) to prove a point.

6) Too much debate over ranking a player only a handful of spots difference.
:shrug: You made some great points, especially #5.

Do you think the Jaguars would consider spending a high pick on a OL or do they have bigger holes to worry about?
I think they won't take an OL round 1 -Jaguars had 3 OL starters on IR by year-end - I think only the Seahawks (5 starters & the top reserve) eclipsed them for wounded OL.

I am marking this post because there is a ton of gold here. so many fantasy players, even good fantasy players, get caught into the idea of being right on a player that the thread become useless to the masses. A few things happen in the player specific thread. 1) A young player become an unquestioned stud too quickly2) An old player hits the retirement home too quickly.3) Poster get too caught up in being right or at least making some bold prediction 4) poster forget most players are some shade of gray(they are not a true stud nor do they totally suck) 5) Not enough trusting the eyes versus trusting stats (often obsure ones) to prove a point.6) Too much debate over ranking a player only a handful of spots difference.
:shock: It's easy to hop on board when a player is ultra-productive. The true challenge is folding your arms and setting your jaw when the rest of the board (and conventional wisdom) is caught up in the fever. In fact, the most annoying trend around here for the past few seasons is the "No love for _______?" type of posts. Look, guy, there's a reason we don't like your favorite pet project, ok?I'm just as proud of pooh-poohing Joseph Addai's value over the past couple of years as I am about being out front on MJD, Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, and Chris Johnson. It's easy to see the talent on those guys, but it's much harder to stand in here and take the heat about Addai's future value when he's putting up ultra-productive numbers in the present.

It's easy to hop on board when a player is ultra-productive. The true challenge is folding your arms and setting your jaw when the rest of the board (and conventional wisdom) is caught up in the fever. In fact, the most annoying trend around here for the past few seasons is the "No love for _______?" type of posts. Look, guy, there's a reason we don't like your favorite pet project, ok?I'm just as proud of pooh-poohing Joseph Addai's value over the past couple of years as I am about being out front on MJD, Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, and Chris Johnson. It's easy to see the talent on those guys, but it's much harder to stand in here and take the heat about Addai's future value when he's putting up ultra-productive numbers in the present.
:unsure: But keep in mind that often someone will argue with you over a ranking or a specific player because they themselves aren't 100% sure. Maybe they are looking to be convinced by someone they respect instead of blindly following their list.It's easy to say that 3 or 4 slots really don't matter on the rankings...but even one spot could be the difference between having the player on your squad or not, particularly near the top of the rankings. Arguing over whether a guy should be #3 or #6 can have great value to the masses. (Obviously #20 vs. #23 is a different story)

But keep in mind that often someone will argue with you over a ranking or a specific player because they themselves aren't 100% sure. Maybe they are looking to be convinced by someone they respect instead of blindly following their list.It's easy to say that 3 or 4 slots really don't matter on the rankings...but even one spot could be the difference between having the player on your squad or not, particularly near the top of the rankings. Arguing over whether a guy should be #3 or #6 can have great value to the masses. (Obviously #20 vs. #23 is a different story)
Oh yeah, but I'm doing the same thing. I have a strong feel for a lot of players, but there are a ton that I'm just trying to place in the correct tier because I don't have a great read on their future. There are some guys I'm going to stick to my guns on (S-Jax obviously), but there are other guys where some heavy convincing does me good (Roddy White). I love the feedback -- I just appreciate it more when it comes from someone ahead of the curve. It doesn't really do me any good when somebody pushes hard for Jason Campbell to get a high ranking coming off the best 3-game stretch of his career, or when somebody rags on a Steven Jackson or MJD when they're struggling for a game or three. I just prefer to talk to guys who have vision as opposed to the knee-jerk reactionaries. I think it makes for much more profitable discussion.

But keep in mind that often someone will argue with you over a ranking or a specific player because they themselves aren't 100% sure. Maybe they are looking to be convinced by someone they respect instead of blindly following their list.It's easy to say that 3 or 4 slots really don't matter on the rankings...but even one spot could be the difference between having the player on your squad or not, particularly near the top of the rankings. Arguing over whether a guy should be #3 or #6 can have great value to the masses. (Obviously #20 vs. #23 is a different story)
Oh yeah, but I'm doing the same thing. I have a strong feel for a lot of players, but there are a ton that I'm just trying to place in the correct tier because I don't have a great read on their future. There are some guys I'm going to stick to my guns on (S-Jax obviously), but there are other guys where some heavy convincing does me good (Roddy White). I love the feedback -- I just appreciate it more when it comes from someone ahead of the curve. It doesn't really do me any good when somebody pushes hard for Jason Campbell to get a high ranking coming off the best 3-game stretch of his career, or when somebody rags on a Steven Jackson or MJD when they're struggling for a game or three. I just prefer to talk to guys who have vision as opposed to the knee-jerk reactionaries. I think it makes for much more profitable discussion.
:thumbup: Our discussion on Jackson actually made me move him up a few spots on my own list. Not to #2 of course, but that's more of a differance in risk assessment and now/future bias then anything else.

IN the TE rankings, I'd pay closer attention to Celek. Right now you've got him down around #28, which makes sense.

But he's a guy most should be paying a little closer attention to. The featured TE in the Eagles offense should be performing in at least the TE10-13 area. Celek is only in his second year and appears to have the inside track to the job for next season. It bears watching to see if Philly spends a high pick on a TE, but I don't think that's likely.

It might be too soon to bump him significantly, but he's a guy TE deficiant dynasty leaguers would be well served to snag now while he's still dirt cheap or even free. (Grabbed him off waivers in one league last week)

:thumbdown: I pretty much agree with most of it. I do think the Steelers will run more next year and the Lions will too...at least as long as they can stay close.
Thanks F&L for answering my question - great list.

IN the TE rankings, I'd pay closer attention to Celek. Right now you've got him down around #28, which makes sense.But he's a guy most should be paying a little closer attention to. The featured TE in the Eagles offense should be performing in at least the TE10-13 area. Celek is only in his second year and appears to have the inside track to the job for next season. It bears watching to see if Philly spends a high pick on a TE, but I don't think that's likely.It might be too soon to bump him significantly, but he's a guy TE deficiant dynasty leaguers would be well served to snag now while he's still dirt cheap or even free. (Grabbed him off waivers in one league last week)
Yeah, he was due for a bump after Andy Reid demoted L.J. Smith this week. I like Celek's receiving skills. Can he stay healthy? He'll probably move into the Top-20 or so on the next update.

Looks like Seattle could be a candidate to switch to more of a run-heavy attack with Knapp as the new offensive coordinator. He has a history of very strong rushing attack success, and it's not like wide receiver is a strength of the current Seahawks roster.

Looks like Seattle could be a candidate to switch to more of a run-heavy attack with Knapp as the new offensive coordinator. He has a history of very strong rushing attack success, and it's not like wide receiver is a strength of the current Seahawks roster.
I do not like Julius Jones or Morris at all. I do not know enough about Forsett to have a good opinion of him one way or hey other; I am thinking most likely will draft or maybe bring some else in.

It's really tough to say what the future holds for my Seahawks. On the one hand, the WR have been very banged up, and the talent isn't great. On the other hand, the RB talent isn't great either. On the third hand, Hasselbeck's been hurt, which doesn't help, and on the fourth hand, the entire starting OL ended the year on IR.I agree Knapp is a running OC - from seahawks.com:"In his eight years as offensive coordinator, Knapp’s rushing attack has placed in the NFL top-10 all eight years, including five top-five finishes and led the NFL in rushing three consecutive seasons, all during Mora’s tenure in Atlanta (2004-06)."I'm less than underwhelmed with the Mora, Jr. hire. I supect we'll see Duckett (a Mora guy) & somebody split time. I expect the Seahawks to be bad for a while, unfortunately.Morris is an okay change of pace back. Duckett stinks. Jones is mediocre. Forsett looked the best in training camp, but didn't make the team initially, because Duckett had a roster spot locked up. If Forsett isn't the main back for next year - and I'm not sure he's good enough - either the main back isn't on the roster now, or there will be a PBBC - pedestrian back by commitee - a notch below a RBBC.

Users who are viewing this thread