Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChampBailey24

New York Restaurant

Alright, so I'll be in New York City for Christmas with my family (my parents and my 12yo sister) and I am wondering where I should go? I'm looking for a good restaurant (250-250$ for 4 persons) anywhere on the island or even in Newark, but I really don't know where to go.

I've never been to NYC and I'd like our Christmas to be a good one so yeah....anyone have suggestions?

May want to try one of the steakhouses - Smith and Wollensky, Peter Luger, etc. I'll leave it to the more recent locals (haven't been to any of them in 10+ years) for recommendations in that respect.

May want to try one of the steakhouses - Smith and Wollensky, Peter Luger, etc. I'll leave it to the more recent locals (haven't been to any of them in 10+ years) for recommendations in that respect.

Thanks, I'll check out their websites.

If you decide on Smith and Wollensky (48th and 3rd) they have a Grill or a more formal restaurant side. I prefer the Grill as it's louder and has a better atmosphere. Although with a 12 y.o. that might not be the better choice.

It'll probably be real tough, near impossible, to get into Peter Lugar this close.

The Palms is a great choice and is more situated near Broadway.

Not sure if $250 will cut it for 4 at any of the above though.

a great lesser-known steakhouse is Keens. Very old place, great food.

Highly recommend it. More of a NY experience than the others that have gone national.

Maybe Little Italy? I like IL Cortile (125 Mulberry) or if you want to stay in midtown, Arno on 141 W 38th St is a great place.

or if you really want to go old school, how about the 21 Club

Brasilia in Newark is my favorite restaurant!! its a brasilian restaurant with the best rodisio ever!!

In manhattan, there are way too many choices.

i suggest looking on citysearch for the cuisines your interested. you should find menus on there as well for plenty places.

other favs

Buddakhan

the capital grille

and if you have never tried ethiopean food, i recommend Ghenet in soho! excellent!

Easy

Il Cortile on Mulberry St, Little Italy. Possibly one of the best and its family style.

Mangia

You can definitely find something in your price range, it all depends on what type of food you want and where you want it. Sal Anthonys is a pretty good choice. I agree that you will not be able to get into Lugers but give it a shot.

If you are looking for a cheap place around times square, my wife and I love Dallas BBQ and Ollies noodles (across from Nokia Theater). Both places are reasonable and family oriented but they are not fancy and I dont know if thats what you are looking for.

One last place in Newark is a place called Spain. Awesome food and not too pricey. Definitely in your price range

Hope you enjoy your trip

I don't know if it's in the area you'll be in or not, but if you like spicy food, check out Mesa Grille. It's one of Bobby Flay's restaurants. He's got a show, maybe two, on the food channel. VERY good. I've been there three or four times now. Their margaritas and martinis are excellent as well. But if you don't like spicey southwest style food, you might have pretty limited options.

It's in Manhattan. I think it's around 35th and Broadway, give or take.

It'll probably be real tough, near impossible, to get into Peter Lugar this close.

Unless they recently changed things, Peter Luger doesnt accept reservations. Waiting in line outside probably isnt what you'd want to do on vacation, but it is a great steakhouse.

I don't know if it's in the area you'll be in or not, but if you like spicy food, check out Mesa Grille. It's one of Bobby Flay's restaurants. He's got a show, maybe two, on the food channel. VERY good. I've been there three or four times now. Their margaritas and martinis are excellent as well. But if you don't like spicey southwest style food, you might have pretty limited options.It's in Manhattan. I think it's around 35th and Broadway, give or take.

unless it has moved recently, i think it is on 59th and broadway over by carnegie hall. good food, great service. very brisk business there.

Don't go to Newark. Don't ask why, just don't go.

Not to knock other recommendations, but try to avoid any restaurants in midtown (theater district) if you can. The food isn't bad, but at times can be way overpriced. Same with Little Italy unfortunately. Basically "the city" is actually much different than the Times Square area/theater district so I always encourage people to be sure they spend most of their time outside of the usual areas.

I like Rosa Mexicana myself if you're into Mexican. Great fresh guac dip. There's three in the city.

Mediterranean/Italian restaurant Trio is also good. Lamb shank is the best I've ever had.

A good lunch place is Grimaldi's. It's in Brooklyn but pretty much right over the bridge. I swear to you it's the best pizza on earth. The wait is crazy, but it's so worth it. You can have dinner there but it's not "fancy".

Hope this helps, enjoy NYC, it's great during the holiday season.

Your little sis might like Jekyll & Hyde's - food is pretty good but a little pricey (just above average nothing insane). They have entertainment going on all through dinner.

The Scene

Mad scientists lurk in dark corners, concocting their next experiments--or is it your dinner? Suspend your disbelief and indulge your kids' curiosity for the dark side by entering the peculiar world of Jekyll & Hyde, featuring ambient black-and-white horror movies augmented by scary soundtracks and rock-and-roll oldies.

The Food

The scene is the main attraction, but dinner's an easy second. Stick with the safe, moderately priced fare like pizzas, burgers, salads and sandwiches. Kid faves include grilled cheese and, quite possibly, the biggest peanut butter and jelly sandwich in New York City. Specialty drinks--alcoholic and non--arrive in skull mugs or mini-canteens, nifty take-home souvenirs.

Les Halles - St. John street? - close to ground zero.

Brasilia in Newark is my favorite restaurant!! its a brasilian restaurant with the best rodisio ever!!

i suggest looking on citysearch for the cuisines your interested. you should find menus on there as well for plenty places.

other favs

Buddakhan

the capital grille

If you want Brazilian and want to stay in Manhattan, you can try Churrascaria Plataforma.

http://churrascariaplataforma.com/

Les Halles - St. John street? - close to ground zero.

good food but i wouldn't go there for dinner. there is literally nothing around there after 5pm. i worked across the street from it for years and it's desolate after office hours. i'm not fan of destination eating like that where you cab it down, eat and then cab it to the next venue.

other favs

Buddakhan

the capital grille

If you want Brazilian and want to stay in Manhattan, you can try Churrascaria Plataforma.

http://churrascariaplataforma.com/

I have been to this restaurant. Its good.... but not even close to as good as brasilia. THough their salad bar has a much larger selection. But the meats are not as good. Brasilia is as authentic as it gets!

And to whoever said dont go to newark, the Ironbound section, where the restaurant is is very safe. Tons of very good brasilian and portuguese restaurants, lounges and clubs.

And to whoever said dont go to newark, the Ironbound section, where the restaurant is is very safe. Tons of very good brasilian and portuguese restaurants, lounges and clubs.

i have to agree. it's a little off the beaten path for a tourist but, for someone more local, it's a nice area to check out.

Red Eye Grill near Carnegie Hall.Great seafood, steaks, chicken, pork.

i always get the name of that place confused with mesa grille. red eye is a good choice. solid food, great service and the occassional celebrity sighting. last time i was there jerry glanville, randy cross and some other guy were eating dinner next to me. they had a tiny table for some reason...

Unless they recently changed things, Peter Luger doesnt accept reservations. Waiting in line outside probably isnt what you'd want to do on vacation, but it is a great steakhouse.
:confused:I've only gone to Luger's with reservations. Never had to wait in a line outside.

Red Eye Grill near Carnegie Hall.Great seafood, steaks, chicken, pork.

Currently hesitating between Trio, Mesa Grille and Red Eye Grill. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

i have to agree. it's a little off the beaten path for a tourist but, for someone more local, it's a nice area to check out.
:popcorn: Great restaurants! Great food! If you can make out what Koya is talking about in my sig, I think he enjoyed the restaurant he ate at (I think it was the Strip House). Or he was mugged outside of MSG...I'm not sure.

I don't know if it's in the area you'll be in or not, but if you like spicy food, check out Mesa Grille. It's one of Bobby Flay's restaurants. He's got a show, maybe two, on the food channel. VERY good. I've been there three or four times now. Their margaritas and martinis are excellent as well. But if you don't like spicey southwest style food, you might have pretty limited options.It's in Manhattan. I think it's around 35th and Broadway, give or take.

unless it has moved recently, i think it is on 59th and broadway over by carnegie hall. good food, great service. very brisk business there.
Just looked it up to be sure. It's at 102 5th Ave. Roughly around 5th ave. and 15th street. I was a little off, but it's been in that location since I first went there about 4 years ago. Last went about this time last year. But definately agreed, brisk business. Call ahead for reservations. If you're flexible with time, you can get a table with a days notice or so, but if you must eat at the prime time, you might need a few days leeway. Esp. around the holidays.

and if you have never tried ethiopean food, i recommend Ghenet in soho! excellent!

awesome food

eating with fingers might be off-putting for some people

i recommend Capsuoto Freres in Tribeca. right near the Hudson, and the Holland Tunnel.

We finally ate at Trio on the 23rd. Good food, great service, nice place. Really good restaurant. ;) Thanks!!

Since we helped you.....and you are from Montreal. You must help us.What's the best strip club in Montreal? :D

We finally ate at Trio on the 23rd. Good food, great service, nice place. Really good restaurant. ;) Thanks!!

Since we helped you.....and you are from Montreal. You must help us.What's the best strip club in Montreal? :D
Bah...I live on the South Shore of Montreal so I don't know Montreal that well. And I'm only 16 so I haven't gone to any strip clubs yet...sorry.

Alright, so I'll be in New York City for Christmas with my family (my parents and my 12yo sister) and I am wondering where I should go? I'm looking for a good restaurant (250-250$ for 4 persons) anywhere on the island or even in Newark, but I really don't know where to go.I've never been to NYC and I'd like our Christmas to be a good one so yeah....anyone have suggestions?

Newark as in Newark, New Jersey ?You better be driving a tank and everybody wearing body armor...Stay clear of that city