Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sabertooth

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners

I'm not digging the scenes with Dany. The sets look kinda cheesy and she's playing it way over dramatic. Don't like the casting of Xaro. I lose a little interest when they go to her but I'm sure that will change with the recent turn of events.

It's a shame that they've made me care so much less of her this season after being perhaps my favorite angle of the first season. But as you said at the end, maybe things change now.

I'm not digging the scenes with Dany. The sets look kinda cheesy and she's playing it way over dramatic. Don't like the casting of Xaro. I lose a little interest when they go to her but I'm sure that will change with the recent turn of events.

It's a shame that they've made me care so much less of her this season after being perhaps my favorite angle of the first season. But as you said at the end, maybe things change now.
Yeah but last season the hatred for her brother and the awesomeness of Drogo and the rest of the Dothraki made most of her scenes great. She's not good enough to carry her scenes and the people around her aren't as strong.Hey, just thought of it. Didn't see Dany's hot assitant among the dead. Just the other one. Was she in on the slaughter?

Yeah but last season the hatred for her brother and the awesomeness of Drogo and the rest of the Dothraki made most of her scenes great. She's not good enough to carry her scenes and the people around her aren't as strong.Hey, just thought of it. Didn't see Dany's hot assitant among the dead. Just the other one. Was she in on the slaughter?
I thought they were both hot actually, but I did find her absence conspicuous. I didn't see her when the guy was hauling the dragons to the tower, so no hostage situation I guess.And I guess you're right when it comes to the Dothraki and Dany. Plus, Jorah was away this last episode and he's been a solid actor so far.

Two areas that I think the alterations to the story don't make much sense:

Tywin spending extensive time at Harrenhal with Arya. If this were the case in the books, Arya simply could have asked for Tywin's death knowing that it would cripple the Lannister cause.

I'm not exactly sure where they are going with the Jon and Ygritte story arc, but Quorin Halfhand being killed by Jon (at Halfhand's orders) is a major plot point. It explains Jon turning his cloak on the Night's Watch, which would have been completely out of character otherwise.

Im surprised she didnt ask for Joffery and the queen right off the bat. I mean thats who was on her list, not the tickler and LorchWhy? She's still a LITTLE GIRL! Those two are on her list, but of course she's going to be far more worried about the bad guys immediately around her.

Tywin spending extensive time at Harrenhal with Arya. If this were the case in the books, Arya simply could have asked for Tywin's death knowing that it would cripple the Lannister cause.

I'm not exactly sure where they are going with the Jon and Ygritte story arc, but Quorin Halfhand being killed by Jon (at Halfhand's orders) is a major plot point. It explains Jon turning his cloak on the Night's Watch, which would have been completely out of character otherwise.

Im surprised she didnt ask for Joffery and the queen right off the bat. I mean thats who was on her list, not the tickler and LorchWhy? She's still a LITTLE GIRL! Those two are on her list, but of course she's going to be far more worried about the bad guys immediately around her.And really that is my point in #1. Tywin is a bad guy immediately around her, this was not so in the book. And, little girl or not, she would have to realize how crippling his death would be to the Lannister cause.

Is it known or just assumed that Littlefinger knows what Arya looks like? I don't remember a scene with both of them in it.Kind of stupid that Theon wouldn't just throw Osha out of the room after banging her. That didn't make sense. And why didn't she just kill him?Is Robb promised to marry someone else like his mother said? I don't remember that in the show.Getting back to Theon. I thought he was just trying to play both sides still but I guess the beheading forced him to make a choice. I still think he's going to try and rationalize it and join back with the Starks. Love where that storyline has gone. I'm not digging the scenes with Dany. The sets look kinda cheesy and she's playing it way over dramatic. Don't like the casting of Xaro. I lose a little interest when they go to her but I'm sure that will change with the recent turn of events. Is the tower where that creepy guy from the last episode lives?...and it was wayyy too obvious that Jon wasn't going to kill that girl once the other guys left him to do it alone. I would rather have just seen her get away from them all somehow.

I don't remember a scene with both of them in it but I think it would be fairly expected that they would have crossed paths as Eduard was Hand and Baelish was on the council. Yea, Robb committed to marrying one of the daughters of the guy that holds that bridge that they had to pass. He may think he can but as Ser Roderick said 'you are truly lost'. No room in the Stark house for him anymore.

Im surprised she didnt ask for Joffery and the queen right off the bat. I mean thats who was on her list, not the tickler and Lorch
Why? She's still a LITTLE GIRL! Those two are on her list, but of course she's going to be far more worried about the bad guys immediately around her.And really that is my point in #1. Tywin is a bad guy immediately around her, this was not so in the book. And, little girl or not, she would have to realize how crippling his death would be to the Lannister cause.Actually, in the book, he did spend some time at Harrenhal while Arya was also there.

And eventually Arya does regret not sicking Jaqen on him while she had the chance.

Edited by Gr00vus

Is it known or just assumed that Littlefinger knows what Arya looks like? I don't remember a scene with both of them in it.Kind of stupid that Theon wouldn't just throw Osha out of the room after banging her. That didn't make sense. And why didn't she just kill him?Is Robb promised to marry someone else like his mother said? I don't remember that in the show.Getting back to Theon. I thought he was just trying to play both sides still but I guess the beheading forced him to make a choice. I still think he's going to try and rationalize it and join back with the Starks. Love where that storyline has gone. I'm not digging the scenes with Dany. The sets look kinda cheesy and she's playing it way over dramatic. Don't like the casting of Xaro. I lose a little interest when they go to her but I'm sure that will change with the recent turn of events. Is the tower where that creepy guy from the last episode lives?...and it was wayyy too obvious that Jon wasn't going to kill that girl once the other guys left him to do it alone. I would rather have just seen her get away from them all somehow.

He may think he can but as Ser Roderick said 'you are truly lost'. No room in the Stark house for him anymore.
Do you think when he took over Winterfell he was still thinking about playing both sides somehow or was he fully aligned with his father?

I don't remember a scene with both of them in it but I think it would be fairly expected that they would have crossed paths as Eduard was Hand and Baelish was on the council.

IIRC, she & Sansa were at the tournament where the Mountain killed his horse. Pretty sure Littlefinger was nearby (didn't he talk to Sansa and make a bet with Renly?). And, as you say, Ned & LF's positions would make it seem reasonable LF would've seen Arya.As for Arya not putting a hit on Tywin...... in the book I wrote it off to her being a kid and going after those much closer who were pissing her off (as many have stated above) - she wasn't Tywin's cupbearer in the book and he wasn't around her. On the show, I still chalk some up to her being a kid but I also thinks she kind of likes him and there are others that seem like more immediate dangers.

Dany became interesting when she realized the power she had and started using it. Right now she is all talk with little bite. Should become more interesting again when her Dragons can back her up.

On the show, I still chalk some up to her being a kid but I also thinks she kind of likes him and there are others that seem like more immediate dangers.

If you want to make her out to be even more clever, she probably did the right thing initially. How does she really know she can trust Jaqen at the outset? Some guy who you've known only as the dangerous criminal you helped escape from burning walks up to you and says he's going to kill anyone you want free of charge and knows that you're actually Arya of House Stark - you're going to trust that guy right off? Probably not. You tell him to kill lord Tywin and he's not trustworthy, things could go pretty bad for you. Tell him to kill some nondescript underling - still some chance of negative feedback, but not at the same level. So you test the guy out before you send him at the big game. Then she has to have Lorch offed or she's probably toast - no choice there. Regardless, she still has one death to request and Tywin is still in the building... Edited by Gr00vus

Not to mention she is relatively "safe" for the time being as Tywin's cupbearer, especially compared to the poor conditions she faced both on the road to Winterfell and initially at Harrenhall. Can hardly blame the youngster for trying to get her bearings a bit (and maybe glean some further info regarding her family)

I also thinks she kind of likes him

I think that whole "anyone can be killed" staredown suggests otherwise.

And that he's the patriarch of the family that killed her father, but yeah, I'm sure she's totally digging her new PawPaw.

And that he's the patriarch of the family that killed her father, but yeah, I'm sure she's totally digging her new PawPaw.
I worded that badly. See TU's post above for what I mostly meant. I do think she enjoys the repartee with Tywin, though.

IIRC, she & Sansa were at the tournament where the Mountain killed his horse. Pretty sure Littlefinger was nearby (didn't he talk to Sansa and make a bet with Renly?). And, as you say, Ned & LF's positions would make it seem reasonable LF would've seen Arya.

This. Baelish met, and sat with, both girls at the tournament. Arya asks him why he is called Littlefinger and he explains. He also tells them the story of how the Hound's face got burned. Edited by parrot

Holy ####.

George RR Martin's web site is foul. Looks like it was designed in 1989...by George RR Martin.

Well, whoever put it together does offer a catalog of dance supplies.... so..... they got that going for them.
Really...I'm just...flabbergasted. I think that site gave me cancer.

It is funny, before in season 1- I was on the verge of just absolutely feeling like someone was scratching their nails against a blackboard when Sansa was on screen. No way would I have ever said she was 'attractive' in any kind of description. Now, with the spoiled brat basically beaten out of her and not being so annoyed with her. She is a pretty little girl. Gonna be a heart breaker in 5 or so years.

Unfortunately, she's still saddled with the charisma of a wooden table.
She's not supposed to be charismatic. She's walking a tight rope.

Holy ####.

George RR Martin's web site is foul. Looks like it was designed in 1989...by George RR Martin.

Well, whoever put it together does offer a catalog of dance supplies.... so..... they got that going for them.
When a first started the series a year ago, I also ended up on that site. Had the same exact thought. Awful.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a young girl who recently lost her father would look at a strong older male and start to associate him as a father figure regardless of his association with those who killed her father.

It is funny, before in season 1- I was on the verge of just absolutely feeling like someone was scratching their nails against a blackboard when Sansa was on screen. No way would I have ever said she was 'attractive' in any kind of description. Now, with the spoiled brat basically beaten out of her and not being so annoyed with her. She is a pretty little girl. Gonna be a heart breaker in 5 or so years.

She wasn't charismatic before her daddy's head got chopped off, either.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a young girl who recently lost her father would look at a strong older male and start to associate him as a father figure regardless of his association with those who killed her father.
well he did pull her from out of that mudd pit near the torture chamber, kind of "saving" her in away

Holy ####.

When a first started the series a year ago, I also ended up on that site. Had the same exact thought. Awful.
Well it's not like fantasy fans and tech geeks overlap very much

I agree. I just think that she doesn't need to be charismatic because her character is a pawn throughout the series.

I agree. I just think that she doesn't need to be charismatic because her character is a pawn throughout the series.
:goodposting: She also started out as an immature, spoiled brat. Now she's trying to act like she still loves her betrothed when she actually loathes him and is basically a prisoner amongst a bunch of people trying to wipe out her family. At this point her role is to play a bad teenage actress just trying not to get killed. I think she actually played both situations reasonably well. She's not the best actor in the series, but I don't think she's among the worst either.

Holy ####.

What the ####? Read his entry about the draft....he seems to be a Jets AND a Giants fan. Party foul.

He was an AFL fan and an NFL fan :confused: That not allowed? I was a Maulers and a Steelers fan.

Holy ####.

What the ####? Read his entry about the draft....he seems to be a Jets AND a Giants fan. Party foul.
His story is he liked both the afl and nfl. He was a giants fan but thought joe namath was a god. So he kept rooting for both after the merger.

He may think he can but as Ser Roderick said 'you are truly lost'. No room in the Stark house for him anymore.
Do you think when he took over Winterfell he was still thinking about playing both sides somehow or was he fully aligned with his father?
My take on it is that he is quite conflicted and has been since arriving at Pyke and basically being shunned when he expected to be welcomed home as the shining child savior of Pyke. His character seems to be one that has some basic flaws most prominent of which is narcissism but most likely due to being raised by the Starks has redeemable desires that counter this. He wants to be seen as a greater man than he is- which is dangerous when you have no principles or spine. I don't think for him he is 'smart' enough to play both sides. He originally went to Pyke to get his father to fight for the Starks. He believed in that but when his father went the other direction, he reluctantly (for a bit) followed. His identity has always been an "Iron Islander" as he talked about it all the time- so he will do anything to be seen as one. Taking Winterfell is all about his father seeing him as a true Iron Islander and though he is not fully rotten to the point that killing someone like Ser Roderick doesn't bother him- I just dont see him playing both sides. This is all from someone who is just watching the series and not read any books. There might be more insight gleaned from the books but from watching the series this is what I got from it.

Holy ####.

Well it's not like fantasy fans and tech geeks overlap very much
tee hee

Holy ####.

It was also built using a tool that offers free web hosting too. :thumbup:

Can't go wrong with free.

Holy ####.

Q: Why don't you update your website more often? Some of the news is months old.

A: I try to update as often as I can. There are two problems. The first is time. I have a great webmaster who does all my HTML and web design for me, but I still need to supply her with the content. So if I want to add a news item, I have to put aside the book and anything else I'm working on, and do that instead. With the book running so late, I have less for updates.

:lmao:

I have a great webmaster who does all my HTML and web design for me, but I still need to supply her with the content.

Who wants to bet the Webmaster is a hooker who works on his website for secks?

Holy ####.

Q: Why don't you update your website more often? Some of the news is months old.

A: I try to update as often as I can. There are two problems. The first is time. I have a great webmaster who does all my HTML and web design for me, but I still need to supply her with the content. So if I want to add a news item, I have to put aside the book and anything else I'm working on, and do that instead. With the book running so late, I have less for updates.

Third problem: a webmaster isn't a web designer.

Fourth problem: there's this thing called CMS where any idiot can make changes to a site that's designed by a professional.

Fifth problem: fantasy authors shouldn't be working on their own web sites.

Right, so leave the man alone and let him write the books. He needs to get this story finished before he kicks it.

I have a great webmaster who does all my HTML and web design for me, but I still need to supply her with the content.

:confused:

:confused:
Fantasy fans can be a strange lot.

Edit: Plus it'd explain a lot about the site's design.

Edited by Brady Marino

Right, so leave the man alone and let him write the books. He needs to get this story finished before he kicks it.
I'm thinking diabetes.

I'm thinking diabetes.
Increased glucose is coming

Im surprised she didnt ask for Joffery and the queen right off the bat. I mean thats who was on her list, not the tickler and Lorch
Why? She's still a LITTLE GIRL! Those two are on her list, but of course she's going to be far more worried about the bad guys immediately around her.And really that is my point in #1. Tywin is a bad guy immediately around her, this was not so in the book. And, little girl or not, she would have to realize how crippling his death would be to the Lannister cause.She is smarter than you. Kill Tywin and she goes back to the prison where she has no freedom and most likely will be tortured and killed. Tywin is the only reason she is alive right now.

My take on it is that he is quite conflicted and has been since arriving at Pyke and basically being shunned when he expected to be welcomed home as the shining child savior of Pyke. His character seems to be one that has some basic flaws most prominent of which is narcissism but most likely due to being raised by the Starks has redeemable desires that counter this. He wants to be seen as a greater man than he is- which is dangerous when you have no principles or spine. I don't think for him he is 'smart' enough to play both sides. He originally went to Pyke to get his father to fight for the Starks. He believed in that but when his father went the other direction, he reluctantly (for a bit) followed. His identity has always been an "Iron Islander" as he talked about it all the time- so he will do anything to be seen as one. Taking Winterfell is all about his father seeing him as a true Iron Islander and though he is not fully rotten to the point that killing someone like Ser Roderick doesn't bother him- I just dont see him playing both sides. This is all from someone who is just watching the series and not read any books. There might be more insight gleaned from the books but from watching the series this is what I got from it.
Agreed. Ser Roderick was right, Theon is lost. No way he lives much longer. The Starks nor the Greyjoys nor even his own men accept him.

I'm thinking diabetes.
The freezer is dark and full of ice cream.

I'm thinking diabetes.
The freezer is dark and full of ice cream.
:lmao: at both of those.

Holy ####.

Third problem: a webmaster isn't a web designer.

Fourth problem: there's this thing called CMS where any idiot can make changes to a site that's designed by a professional.

The guy has to be floating in cash right now.... hire people to do this kind of stuff!