What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread (3 Viewers)

Robles batting 9th again.  Martinez still rationalizing it yesterday about the protection that Robles gets to see pitches with Eaton / Dozier behind him.  I think he'd get pretty good protection if he had Rendon / Soto behind him.  
True.  Bullpen management was a little better the last 2 games.  Good to see Rosenthal get 3 outs even if he was still wild as hell.  Hopefully getting the outs helps the confidence. 

Aaron Altherr looked pretty damn good pitching too.  Got 2 K's.   :lmao:

Robles bunting for Eaton and Dozier to hit. 🚮

ETA:  Not sure what Sipp was doing there either. More Martinez 🚮

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s another bullpen injury.  Grace is overworked already too.  Sipp shouldn’t be pitching in close games.  All of that is on Davey.  Rosenthal is a mess too.  

Some lineup changes for tonight.  I'll never get Robles still batting 9th.  I see two guys (Rendon and Soto) who I'm okay with getting more at bats than Robles in a game.  ETA: And I'm not sure how I feel about Soto now that pitchers have started to figure him out.

Eaton RF
Rendon 3B
Soto LF
Adams 1B
Kendrick 2B
Suzuki C
Difo SS
Hellickson RHP
Robles CF

Soto is 20 years old and his slow start to the season has yielded an OPS of .855 (today helped of course).  What he did last year at the age of 19 was pretty much unprecedented.  He’s much more likely to end up being an elite superstar than someone who is “figured out” IMO.  

Soto is 20 years old and his slow start to the season has yielded an OPS of .855 (today helped of course).  What he did last year at the age of 19 was pretty much unprecedented.  He’s much more likely to end up being an elite superstar than someone who is “figured out” IMO.  
I love Soto and think he will be a superstar too.  When I said that I'm not sure how I feel about Soto, I was just referring to how many guys in the Nats' lineup I'd rather have getting at bats than Robles right now (as my post was mostly intending to complain about the likes of Difo, Suzuki, et al hitting ahead of Robles on a regular basis).

If you asked me who the Nats' best hitters have been so far this year, I'd say Rendon as clear #1, and then Robles/Soto as a pretty close 2/3, which is all that I was trying to get at.  I wasn't intending to diss Soto.

Soto is going through a period of adjustment where he has to get used to seeing fewer fastballs.  Yesterday certainly helped his numbers, and I have confidence that Soto will make that adjustment.

Doolittle coming in to get one out in a 5-0 game makes little sense to me.
Agreed.

Friday night, he warms up Grace and puts him in for one batter (5 pitches) in the 6th inning.  In the 9th Joe Ross was cruising and only at 22 pitches through six outs and he warms up Sipp and puts him in the game for one out.   http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=401075026

Last Wednesday, he pitched Grace for one batter and one pitch though at least that ended an inning so can live with that (other than he's abusing the guys arm).  Then Suero is rolling with five straight outs and he pulls him with 2 outs in the 8th to put in Austen Williams. Williams then goes from 9-2 to 9-6 to get that one out.   Which then caused him to use Barraclough for an out in the 9th before pulling him to put in Doolittle.   http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=401074997

This dude manages every game like it's game 7 of a playoff series.  His rotation leads the majors in innings and he still abuses the bullpen.  The "they can't get people out" thing has a little legs but even when they are getting people out he does stupid stuff.   Nothing like 3 in Coors Field to get the bullpen rested.  :)

What's the homer scoop on Rendon? 

I knew about the HBP, but I read that it wasn't serious, and there was no way I would sit him with an upcoming trip to Coors. That decision turned out not so well. 

What's the homer scoop on Rendon? 

I knew about the HBP, but I read that it wasn't serious, and there was no way I would sit him with an upcoming trip to Coors. That decision turned out not so well. 
Everything I've read indicates he should be good to go by tomorrow night.  They talked about having him pinch hit yesterday, and the fact that they haven't bothered to retroactively DL him is also a good sign.

The Trevor Rosenthal problem is getting all the attention because it's more interesting, but IMO Anibal Sanchez is a bigger problem. He sucks a lot and I see zero reason to believe it's gonna get any better. 6.67 K/9 to go with a 5.33 BB/9 from a 35 year old doesn't suggest a lot of upside. This team has very little margin for error, they can't go into 20% of their games with that kind of disadvantage.

Rizzo said Rendon back in the lineup tonight, and Turner "weeks, not months away."  So, I guess they were just keeping Kieboom down for the extra year like the Jays were with Vlad Jr. 

Don Quixote said:
Rizzo said Rendon back in the lineup tonight, and Turner "weeks, not months away."  So, I guess they were just keeping Kieboom down for the extra year like the Jays were with Vlad Jr. 
Hopefully he is the 2019 Soto and stays.  He can move to 2B when Turner is back and they can figure out what to do with Kendrick, Dozier and Difo later.  

Good to see they came up with an excuse to hide Rosenthal on the IL too

The Trevor Rosenthal problem is getting all the attention because it's more interesting, but IMO Anibal Sanchez is a bigger problem. He sucks a lot and I see zero reason to believe it's gonna get any better. 6.67 K/9 to go with a 5.33 BB/9 from a 35 year old doesn't suggest a lot of upside. This team has very little margin for error, they can't go into 20% of their games with that kind of disadvantage.
Another bad one by Sanchez, but at least he lowered his ERA.  Tanner Roark looking pretty good right now.  I think they can only give Sanchez one more start before giving Fedde a chance.

Another bad one by Sanchez, but at least he lowered his ERA.  Tanner Roark looking pretty good right now.  I think they can only give Sanchez one more start before giving Fedde a chance.
I love the idea, but I just don't see this front office admitting a mistake that quickly.  Especially since he's on a two year deal :(

Does Davey get a full second season to suck?   How long until a mid season change would occur?
I think they will probably ride out the storm, and point to injuries.  The Nats haven't made too many midseason coaching changes.  I think the last one was Manny Acta -- disregarding Riggleman quitting and getting drunk at Caddie's.

Not really sure who they could hire anyway.  Chip Hale would be the likely internal candidate, but he was not successful with the Diamondbacks.  I'd love to see Jack McKeon step out of the front office, but I doubt he'd take the job now that he's pushing 90.  Outside the org, I have a bad feeling that Rizzo would try to rekindle some D'backs magic with Buck Showalter.

ETA: On second thought, not a huge Showalter guy, but he'd be better than Davey. So, I'll take griping about that possibility back.

Doctor Detroit said:
Get’em next year? 
Not quite ready for that yet, but they're on the precipice IMO. The Rendon and now Soto injuries couldn't have come at a worse time, they're starting a brutal 10 game road trip. 5-5 would be amazing, but 3-7 or 2-8 seems more likely unless Soto returns ASAP and Rendon is ready to go as soon as his IL stint ends.

The only hint of good news is that Scherzer and Strasburg both have great peripherals, suggesting they're as good as ever and have just been a bit unlucky.  If they maintain their K and BB rates they'll start winning us some games all by themselves.

Mark Zuckerman‏Verified account @MarkZuckerman 53s53 seconds ago

More

Martinez gave a thorough explanation for letting Jennings face Hoskins. Pre-game plan was for them to do exactly that if situation arose. Said Hoskins had a .000 slugging percentage on sliders from lefties. Pitch was supposed to be in, wound up over the plate at the knees.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I realized Cain got one off Strasburg in the 7th tonight but that said, why does Davey keep putting Dan Jennings in high leverage situations?  The guy is average on a good day.

Can we put Joe Ross and Erick Fedde in the rotation, release Hellickson, and put Sanchez in long relief?  
I’d give Fedde a shot, but not sure about Ross.  He’s pushing a double digit ERA, and not sure his arm will ever be able to hold up in the rotation anyway.

Sanchez leaving in the 2nd injured.  Bullpen going to get abused today.  Long term maybe this is Fedde's opportunity to stick in rotation.

Yeah I'm a little concerned about Soto (at least for this year).  He's not seeing any fastballs and he has not been able to adjust.  

Davey and bullpen management.  This guy has to go.

That rule coming where relievers have to face 3 batters might actually turn him into a decent manager one day but for now he doesn't have a clue.  

Davey and bullpen management.  This guy has to go.

That rule coming where relievers have to face 3 batters might actually turn him into a decent manager one day but for now he doesn't have a clue.  
Yeah, that was another loss on Martinez.

Kind of crazy that the Nats have a $200 million payroll, but keep passing on competent managers because they don't want to spend the extra $2-3 million per year (Bud Black, Joe Girardi).  

Don Quixote said:
Yeah, that was another loss on Martinez.

Kind of crazy that the Nats have a $200 million payroll, but keep passing on competent managers because they don't want to spend the extra $2-3 million per year (Bud Black, Joe Girardi).  
Here he goes again with the bullpen bull crap.  Ross gets one batter.  

This isn't ideal

Mark Zuckerman‏Verified account @MarkZuckerman 1m1 minute ago

Update: Through 4 innings, the Nationals are 0-for-7 with RISP, with 4 called strikeouts, 2 double plays and a groundout to third that didn't advance the runner.

:lmao:

So who gets traded in the next 6-8 weeks?   Rendon?  Can't make the same mistake they made with Harper and let him walk for a draft pick.   Anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread