What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2007 MLB Draft Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I think we all know who #1 overall is.....KC has a plethora of great options @ 2, but several of them are at positions that is deep with MLB prospects.

I honestly think the SP from MO State is going to be the choice, especially now that John Buck has decided to start hitting this season. If he hadn't done that Wieters would be the obvious pick.

Im recording the draft on ESPN2. Just curious to see how the televised event goes down for the 1st time. Should be interesting.

Here is rootin for my boy to get drafted. :no:

He wont be a TV selection but it would be great for him to get a shot with a team near the end!

Hell, I would even be happy if he went to the red sox :X

I've read shallow at the top, as in not many sure stars, but the possibility of good to great players at any other point within the first few rounds, if not beyond.

I'm very interested in this one as a Blue Jay fan.

I've read shallow at the top, as in not many sure stars, but the possibility of good to great players at any other point within the first few rounds, if not beyond.I'm very interested in this one as a Blue Jay fan.
Yeah I was reading somewhere that there is certainly a lot of High School talent in this draft but a lot of guys that are high risk/high reward. I'll have to do some more reading on some of the prospects to see what is what. I guess 3B is a position with a lot of High School depth with guys like Justin Jackson and Scott Kozma. Also a lot of good arms in the high school ranks as one site said there could be ten HS pitchers in the first round alone including Rick Porcello. I'm interested to see where NCSU Brackmann goes. Tampa has to take Price. He could be starting by August if he hadn't thrown so many damn innings this year. I'll bet Devil Ray fans hope vandy gets taken out early in the College WS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a question:

Why are teams so careful or refuse to spend in the draft when, relatively speaking, it seems like mere pennies to the amount they blow on lesser talent via free agency?

Is it just the unproven/proven thing? Does fiscal responsibility only apply for GM's during the draft? Does this make sense in some other way that I'm missing, because it is quite obvious that building through the draft is pretty important, especially for the bulk of the teams who work with a regular-sized payroll.

shadyridr said:
Im recording the draft on ESPN2. Just curious to see how the televised event goes down for the 1st time. Should be interesting.
Good call. Just set my DVR to record it. I know I'm not going to rewatch the whole thing, but I'm curious to see how ESPN puts it together as a package.

Doctor Detroit said:
HoTnickZ said:
I've read shallow at the top, as in not many sure stars, but the possibility of good to great players at any other point within the first few rounds, if not beyond.

I'm very interested in this one as a Blue Jay fan.
Tampa has to take Price. He could be starting by August if he hadn't thrown so many damn innings this year. I'll bet Devil Ray fans hope vandy gets taken out early in the College WS.
:brush:

Here's a question:Why are teams so careful or refuse to spend in the draft when, relatively speaking, it seems like mere pennies to the amount they blow on lesser talent via free agency? Is it just the unproven/proven thing? Does fiscal responsibility only apply for GM's during the draft? Does this make sense in some other way that I'm missing, because it is quite obvious that building through the draft is pretty important, especially for the bulk of the teams who work with a regular-sized payroll.
Well, you see, the thing is they don't want to deal with Boras clients when it's contract time as they will drain every last penny they can get.

Here's a question:Why are teams so careful or refuse to spend in the draft when, relatively speaking, it seems like mere pennies to the amount they blow on lesser talent via free agency? Is it just the unproven/proven thing? Does fiscal responsibility only apply for GM's during the draft? Does this make sense in some other way that I'm missing, because it is quite obvious that building through the draft is pretty important, especially for the bulk of the teams who work with a regular-sized payroll.
Well, you see, the thing is they don't want to deal with Boras clients when it's contract time as they will drain every last penny they can get.
:thumbup:Just kidding, fair point. But I still think teams take this to the extreme, which creates an even bigger disparity between the 'rich' and the 'poor' long term.

Thing starts in an hour on ESPN2 if anybody wants to watch.

Rays pick first, then not again till #66 -- basically a third round pick. The compensation rules really are ridiculous.

Thing starts in an hour on ESPN2 if anybody wants to watch.Rays pick first, then not again till #66 -- basically a third round pick. The compensation rules really are ridiculous.
Anything you want me to tell Price before he is sent off to FLA? Know/played this guy.Edit to add: I also went to school with Brazelton... lol.

Thing starts in an hour on ESPN2 if anybody wants to watch.Rays pick first, then not again till #66 -- basically a third round pick. The compensation rules really are ridiculous.
Anything you want me to tell Price before he is sent off to FLA? Know/played this guy.Edit to add: I also went to school with Brazelton... lol.
yes, tell him not to be brazelton. tia

yes, tell him not to be brazelton. tia
FWIW, Price has a much better head on his shoulders than Dewon.

Ya, Tribe had to give up their 2nd for Hernandez and 3rd for Dellucci. Just what is this accomplishing? Did those picks go to the teams we signed them from?

Laporta to the Brewers. :goodposting:
LaPorta's Power Propels Florida's Offense2006 College Preview Index By Will KimmeyJanuary 21, 2006 Matt LaPorta enrolled at Florida as a catcher, but classmate Brian Jeroloman's skill behind the plate prompted a shift to the outfield to keep him in the lineup. LaPorta settled in at first base as a sophomore, and then spent all of fall practice at third base. LaPorta said third was his favorite position, though he's likely to spend more time at first this season. Some scouts like him in an outfield corner, while a small minority would like him to try catching as a pro.It's easy to find a consensus on LaPorta's best position: next to the plate. He led college baseball with 26 home runs, including blasts off first-round picks Cesar Carrillo and Luke Hochevar, as he bashed his way to a first-team All-America sophomore season.Few were fence scrapers. Texas coach Augie Garrido said LaPorta was better at putting things into orbit than NASA. He's been working a bit more often than those aerospace engineers, too, with 40 career home runs in 395 at-bats, or one every 9.87 at-bats. He needs 16 home runs this season to break Florida's career record, set over four seasons by Ben Harrison."Obviously, you see the strength in that swing," said an area scout with an American League team. "That's just monster raw juice."LaPorta's prodigious blasts often provided the same momentum-shifting power as a slam dunk in basketball; Florida was 21-3 in games in which he homered last season and 27-20 otherwise. "I think some people think I either hit a home run or strike out," LaPorta said. "That's not it at all. I can hit the ball to right field and I do hit it to right field. When I just happen to hit it good, it goes out."In addition to the homers, LaPorta led the Southeastern Conference in slugging percentage (.698) and RBIs (79). He won the league's 2005 player of the year award while boosting Florida to a conference title and then the championship round of the College World Series. That success earned him a spot on the U.S. national team, where he led Team USA with four home runs and showed his toughness by playing through a severely sprained left foot and chipped front tooth he sustained on the tour."It's not too often you get to play for your country," he said. "I just sucked it up."Loud ProductionIf LaPorta were to replicate his 2005 offensive output this year, no one would be disappointed. Except maybe him. He's a tireless worker always striving to improve. Police arrived at McKethan Stadium late one night last season after someone reported hearing loud noises coming from Florida's ballpark. It turned out LaPorta was just honing his swing. LaPorta continued that quest upon returning to campus late last summer. He has lost about 15 pounds by sticking to a leaner diet--eating more chicken and fish and vegetables while cutting out greasy foods--and added quickness by performing extra agility work with the strength coach twice a week. Both will help should LaPorta end up playing more at third base than Pat McMahon initially expects, though his range might still be limited to one or two steps either way.LaPorta has also enhanced the video study he began last season with departed senior Jeff Corsaletti. He started by watching film of his own at-bats and moved on to checking out major league hitters."We've got study hall at school, and I'm on the Internet instead of doing school work finding out what these guys' approach is," LaPorta said. "I don’t do exactly what they do, but take little pieces of what they do and add it to mine."LaPorta watched a lot of Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez this fall in an effort to make better adjustments on pitches on the outer half. He worked diligently during the fall to go the opposite field, taking steps toward closing a hole many college power hitters have there."He could ultimately be a Paul Konerko-kind of guy, that could be his path," the scout said. "I can see him hitting .250-.270 with 30-35 homers, and once he makes some adjustments, maybe does some zone hitting, he can raise that average up."Emulating PujolsThose kind of numbers would put LaPorta on par with Albert Pujols, someone who always draws special attention from LaPorta. Watching the 6-foot-1 junior stand at the plate with his feet spread wide and his elbows bowed out to either side proves reminiscent of the 2005 National League MVP."Matt LaPorta, I think he looks just like Albert Pujols," Southern California righthander Ian Kennedy said after facing him during national team trials. "He's a good hitter with a really good plan and he studies his swing a lot--he watches film after film--and it shows."LaPorta likes more than just Pujols' swing. He lists the Cardinals slugger's selfless team-first attitude in downplaying accolades and moving from position to position to play wherever he best helps the team. LaPorta, who wears a large gold cross around his neck, also admires Pujols' faith and desire to help others. "I've read and heard stories about him," LaPorta said of Pujols. "He's a good Christian guy and a classy guy. There are a lot of guys who don't take advantage when they're a superstar to give back. If I have the opportunity, I want to do that. You can’t forget where you came from."It's not surprising LaPorta emulates Pujols in each of these ways, too. He was named to the SEC's Good Works team for working with children in pediatric care, reading in elementary school classes and helping remove debris in a Hurricane Charley relief effort in his hometown of Port Charlotte, Fla.Apparently, LaPorta already has figured out how to use his power for good.

This is the one day out of the year Ranger fans have hope. With five of the first 81 picks, they could start building a foundation with this draft - or set the tone for another decade of sucking.

Tampa has to take Price. He could be starting by August if he hadn't thrown so many damn innings this year. I'll bet Devil Ray fans hope vandy gets taken out early in the College WS.
Price threw 133 innings this year with zero arm problems. Now, one important thing to realize is that he pitched on Friday nights -- 1st game of the series, every time. In all but 1 or maybe 2 of his starts he pitched with a full week's rest (6 days, actually, I guess).So far this season in the MLB, 6 pitchers have over 90 innings and 25 have over 80 innings. These innings are on 4 days rest.If his body is mature, I'd have to see he's probably in better shape than most of those guys. Give him the next month with very limited throwing and he could actually be "fresh" by late July / early August.

So what's the all important FBG take on Jason Heyward? All reviews I've read about this guy absolutely rave about his power/upside combo and probably a pick that should have went higher. Will he end up as the most productive out of this draft?

Great. The Phils take a pitcher coming back from injury, LHP Joe Savery from Rice.

(Isn't Savery Rice an Uncle Ben's flavor?)

Who did the Indians and Yankees pick?

I am in a FBB league (16 team) where you get two organization's minor leagure players as your own.

Who did the Indians and Yankees pick?

I am in a FBB league (16 team) where you get two organization's minor leagure players as your own.
13. Cleveland IndiansBeau Mills, 3B, Lewis-Clark State College

Height/Weight: 6-3, 220 | DOB: 8/15/86

Mills made an unusual move from NCAA Division I Fresno State to NAIA powerhouse Lewis-Clark due to academic problems. But the move has paid off for him and he has rocketed into the first round in his junior season. He is now considered as one of the top three college bats in the draft along with Georgia Tech's Matt Wieters and U of Florida's Matt LaPorta. All three players possess above-average power potential and Mills' comes more from bat speed than raw strength. Mills has been exposed to professional baseball most of his life as his father Brad is a former Major League player and is currently the bench coach with the Boston Red Sox. Although not a speedster on the base paths, Mills is a smart runner who won't clog the bases. Defensively, his range is average but he handles everything he reaches. He may move to first base in pro ball. Mills is a solid leader who plays the game the right way.

-Posted by Marc Hulet

30. New York Yankees

Andrew Brackman, RHP, North Carolina State

Height/Weight: 6-10, 230 | DOB: 12/04/85

Many teams still do not know what to think about 6'10'' Brackman, whose season ended early due to fatigue after fewer than 80 innings of work. But with a 92-97 mph fastball, which reportedly hit 100 mph in the summer Cape Cod League, he is desirable baseball talent. Brackman is raw for a college pitcher and he is represented by super agent Scott Boras. Along with his fastball, Brackman possesses a 78-81 mph knuckle curve and an 82-84 mph change-up. He struggles with his balance and release point, which leads to spotty control at times. The former high school and college basketball player has good athleticism. As the draft neared, there were rumors flying that all the talk of injuries (as well as some impending Tommy John whispers) were orchestrated by Boras to help Brackman fall to a big market club.

-Posted by Marc Hulet

Tigers select RHP Rick Porcello :lmao: 20 some teams :own3d:
:loco: Do you think they didn't know about him?They have until August 15th to sign him or he goes to UNC. And he wants a loaded major-league deal. glllllllllllllll there.

:confused: Do you think they didn't know about him?
They didn't want to take the chance with Boras. Cheapskates. Enjoy your Price pick and simmer down guy.
See above. He's going to be incredibly hard to sign. Lot of people think he's headed to college.
They said the same thing about Andrew Miller, Justin Verlander, and Cameron Maybin.
Admit it, you never heard of the guy until 10 minutes ago.
Check post 7 in this thread. :own3d:Plus his arm isn't tired from throwing 120 pitches a game at Vandy. :bye:

:confused: Do you think they didn't know about him?
They didn't want to take the chance with Boras. Cheapskates. Enjoy your Price pick and simmer down guy.
See above. He's going to be incredibly hard to sign. Lot of people think he's headed to college.
They said the same thing about Andrew Miller, Justin Verlander, and Cameron Maybin.
Admit it, you never heard of the guy until 10 minutes ago.
Check post 7 in this thread. :own3d:Plus his arm isn't tired from throwing 120 pitches a game at Vandy. :bye:
Verlander and Miller were college guys who weren't going back.Hey, if you get this guy signed it's a great pick. Just don't act like it's not a big risk.
Plus his arm isn't tired from throwing 120 pitches a game at Vandy
Guy pitched once a week. Pretty sure he can handle it. I'm sure you guys have already picked up Price in uber as well, hoping to trade him for Ryan Howard or something. :bye:

Verlander and Miller were college guys who weren't going back.Hey, if you get this guy signed it's a great pick. Just don't act like it's not a big risk.
It's a risk but not a huge one at 27. Just because Andrew Miller didn't sign with the Rays in 2003 doesn't mean Porcello won't sign with Detroit either. Still mad about that?
Guy pitched once a week. Pretty sure he can handle it. I'm sure you guys have already picked up Price in uber as well, hoping to trade him for Ryan Howard or something. :confused:
You offering Howard? I'll throw in Corey Patterson cuz I like you.

Laporta to the Brewers. :shrug:
LaPorta's Power Propels Florida's Offense2006 College Preview Index By Will KimmeyJanuary 21, 2006 Matt LaPorta enrolled at Florida as a catcher, but classmate Brian Jeroloman's skill behind the plate prompted a shift to the outfield to keep him in the lineup. LaPorta settled in at first base as a sophomore, and then spent all of fall practice at third base. LaPorta said third was his favorite position, though he's likely to spend more time at first this season. Some scouts like him in an outfield corner, while a small minority would like him to try catching as a pro.It's easy to find a consensus on LaPorta's best position: next to the plate. He led college baseball with 26 home runs, including blasts off first-round picks Cesar Carrillo and Luke Hochevar, as he bashed his way to a first-team All-America sophomore season.Few were fence scrapers. Texas coach Augie Garrido said LaPorta was better at putting things into orbit than NASA. He's been working a bit more often than those aerospace engineers, too, with 40 career home runs in 395 at-bats, or one every 9.87 at-bats. He needs 16 home runs this season to break Florida's career record, set over four seasons by Ben Harrison."Obviously, you see the strength in that swing," said an area scout with an American League team. "That's just monster raw juice."LaPorta's prodigious blasts often provided the same momentum-shifting power as a slam dunk in basketball; Florida was 21-3 in games in which he homered last season and 27-20 otherwise. "I think some people think I either hit a home run or strike out," LaPorta said. "That's not it at all. I can hit the ball to right field and I do hit it to right field. When I just happen to hit it good, it goes out."In addition to the homers, LaPorta led the Southeastern Conference in slugging percentage (.698) and RBIs (79). He won the league's 2005 player of the year award while boosting Florida to a conference title and then the championship round of the College World Series. That success earned him a spot on the U.S. national team, where he led Team USA with four home runs and showed his toughness by playing through a severely sprained left foot and chipped front tooth he sustained on the tour."It's not too often you get to play for your country," he said. "I just sucked it up."Loud ProductionIf LaPorta were to replicate his 2005 offensive output this year, no one would be disappointed. Except maybe him. He's a tireless worker always striving to improve. Police arrived at McKethan Stadium late one night last season after someone reported hearing loud noises coming from Florida's ballpark. It turned out LaPorta was just honing his swing. LaPorta continued that quest upon returning to campus late last summer. He has lost about 15 pounds by sticking to a leaner diet--eating more chicken and fish and vegetables while cutting out greasy foods--and added quickness by performing extra agility work with the strength coach twice a week. Both will help should LaPorta end up playing more at third base than Pat McMahon initially expects, though his range might still be limited to one or two steps either way.LaPorta has also enhanced the video study he began last season with departed senior Jeff Corsaletti. He started by watching film of his own at-bats and moved on to checking out major league hitters."We've got study hall at school, and I'm on the Internet instead of doing school work finding out what these guys' approach is," LaPorta said. "I don’t do exactly what they do, but take little pieces of what they do and add it to mine."LaPorta watched a lot of Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez this fall in an effort to make better adjustments on pitches on the outer half. He worked diligently during the fall to go the opposite field, taking steps toward closing a hole many college power hitters have there."He could ultimately be a Paul Konerko-kind of guy, that could be his path," the scout said. "I can see him hitting .250-.270 with 30-35 homers, and once he makes some adjustments, maybe does some zone hitting, he can raise that average up."Emulating PujolsThose kind of numbers would put LaPorta on par with Albert Pujols, someone who always draws special attention from LaPorta. Watching the 6-foot-1 junior stand at the plate with his feet spread wide and his elbows bowed out to either side proves reminiscent of the 2005 National League MVP."Matt LaPorta, I think he looks just like Albert Pujols," Southern California righthander Ian Kennedy said after facing him during national team trials. "He's a good hitter with a really good plan and he studies his swing a lot--he watches film after film--and it shows."LaPorta likes more than just Pujols' swing. He lists the Cardinals slugger's selfless team-first attitude in downplaying accolades and moving from position to position to play wherever he best helps the team. LaPorta, who wears a large gold cross around his neck, also admires Pujols' faith and desire to help others. "I've read and heard stories about him," LaPorta said of Pujols. "He's a good Christian guy and a classy guy. There are a lot of guys who don't take advantage when they're a superstar to give back. If I have the opportunity, I want to do that. You can’t forget where you came from."It's not surprising LaPorta emulates Pujols in each of these ways, too. He was named to the SEC's Good Works team for working with children in pediatric care, reading in elementary school classes and helping remove debris in a Hurricane Charley relief effort in his hometown of Port Charlotte, Fla.Apparently, LaPorta already has figured out how to use his power for good.
Not arguing that. I'm arguing where the hell they're gonna play the guy.

It's a risk but not a huge one at 27. Just because Andrew Miller didn't sign with the Rays in 2003 doesn't mean Porcello won't sign with Detroit either. Still mad about that?
Why would I be mad about that? The Rays have developed the best farm system in baseball, with or without Miller.

Why would I be mad about that? The Rays have developed the best farm system in baseball, with or without Miller.
Yeah that system is stacked. Sooner or later they might even be good which I won't mind considering who is in their division.

Link

Tigers are rumored to have reached a deal with Rick Porcello. He probably was a top five pick if teams wouldn't have worried about his signability and pissing off the Commissioner's office by giving money way over the allotted slot $$$ that MLB wants. I say screw the commissioner, and thank all the teams who passed on the #1 High School player in the country letting him fall to 26th. ;)

Link

Tigers are rumored to have reached a deal with Rick Porcello. He probably was a top five pick if teams wouldn't have worried about his signability and pissing off the Commissioner's office by giving money way over the allotted slot $$$ that MLB wants. I say screw the commissioner, and thank all the teams who passed on the #1 High School player in the country letting him fall to 26th. ;)
Don't get your hopes up, the chances the guy is a complete waste of money are much greater than the chances of him ever making a splash in the bigs. :loco: Nevertheless, good for the Tigers...

Users who are viewing this thread