What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Pick up this player" Thread (1 Viewer)

Statorama

gangster
Just wanted a quick spot to put players that might be on waivers somewhere and merit a pickup based on some news/stat tidbit.

I was looking for a catcher with Towles out, and saw that Yadier Molina, STL hit 2 HR last year in 3AB against today's pitcher Dave Bush.

Just wanted a quick spot to put players that might be on waivers somewhere and merit a pickup based on some news/stat tidbit.

I was looking for a catcher with Towles out, and saw that Yadier Molina, STL hit 2 HR last year in 3AB against today's pitcher Dave Bush.
:thumbup: how long?

Probably depends on how deep your league is, but if he's out there I think Corey Patterson is a good pickup right now. He has a decent chance to go 25-25 this year and he won't kill you in any of the other 3 categories. He has been playing more than enough to warrant being on a roster, which was my concern before the season started.

I also think this might be the time to grab Milton Bradley. Hes been ripping the ball for singles lately and I think he will start turning on some power sooner rather than later.

Good idea for a thread. I'm interested to hear others' thoughts as well.

Borowski officially on the DL. Go get whoever you think will get the save chances

(my guess - Betancourt)

Rafael Perez

Mark Teahen (for some reason he is available in two different leagues)

Carlos Quentin

Geoff Blum/mark Loretta - until Wigginton comes back

Mr. Know-It-All said:
Rafael PerezMark Teahen (for some reason he is available in two different leagues)Carlos QuentinGeoff Blum/mark Loretta - until Wigginton comes back
Good calls. I was looking at Blum with Kendrick down.I've also rostered Blaine Boyer for a day to see if Cox goes with the veteran arm with Soriano/Moylan down.Cub homers...will Soriano's injury open the door more for Fontenot (DeRosa to OF) or Reed Johnson (DeRosa stays at 2B)?

Ill keep an eye on this thread as Ive lost Kendrick, Towles, Bedard, Soriano, and Moylan all from the same team in the last few days.

Moises Alou is due to play in a minor league game as soon as this weekend and could be back in the Mets lineup in under 2 weeks.

Solid bat when healthy in a pretty good lineup.

what about this John Bowker kid? if he keeps it up he can be a nice under the radar pick up.
I can't believe they've just now started thinking about putting him at first.I'm holding off rostering him until Friday (Brandon Webb today, off day Thursday). The power is legit, but he struck out a lot in the minors. Could be a nice source of power until the league figures him out.You just never know when he's going to sit for the likes of Fred Lewis or Raja Davis...but with so little power in that lineup, I don't know how they can afford to NOT play him.Like I said, I'm giving him a look Friday.

Nats just got through playing a 14 inning game in NY and now they have to travel to Florida and face a power lefty....so I'm giving Andrew Miller a shot today.

Torrealba caught all 22 innings last night, so you have to figure Ianetta will be behind the dish tonight. Wouldn't be a bad play in Houston against Sampson.

Would you pick up Lohse amd drop Germano?
Depends on what you need. They're pretty similar pitchers, with Lohse getting more potential wins and Germano having the better ballpark for ERA and WHIP.In the end I'd stick with Germano. Lohse has already hit his (already limited) ceiling, and I'm not sure Germano has hit his.Edit: Both have tough starts this week (Lohse vs Brewers in MIL, Germano vs Oswalt in HOU)

Last edited by a moderator:
For those in need of some SS help, Sean Rodriguez got called up for the Angels. If he gets some time, he could be a decent source of SBs and has decent power for a MI. If he does well enough, he could stick around even after Kendrick comes back

Jared Burton is a name for NL only leagues.
Until last night.
He caught Pat Neshek disease.
If they're a reliever and they play for the Reds and they're not named Cordero, don't ever touch them.
Don't need to remind me...a few years ago I held on to Ryan Wagner so long we might as well have been engaged.
Burton just became an even better pickup. That Weathers injury looked a bit ugly. He uncorked a pitch that was at least 5 feet wide of home plate and immediately signaled over to the dugout. He was looking at his elbow and wasn't really moving his pitching arm all that much. Pure speculation on my part here, but that could very easily have been the last pitch in a long, mediocre career

Big Papi said:
Jared Burton is a name for NL only leagues.
Until last night.
He caught Pat Neshek disease.
If they're a reliever and they play for the Reds and they're not named Cordero, don't ever touch them.
Don't need to remind me...a few years ago I held on to Ryan Wagner so long we might as well have been engaged.
Burton just became an even better pickup. That Weathers injury looked a bit ugly. He uncorked a pitch that was at least 5 feet wide of home plate and immediately signaled over to the dugout. He was looking at his elbow and wasn't really moving his pitching arm all that much. Pure speculation on my part here, but that could very easily have been the last pitch in a long, mediocre career
Easy now. That's someone's daughter you're talking about.

if anybody needs MI help, felipe lopez started his 3rd straight game today. he hit pretty well in his 1st 2 (not so much today). seeing as he was griping and riding pine to start the season, i assume he is/was available in alot of leagues.

OK I picked up the player I mentioned above. Braden Looper for his start vs SF tomorrow. Get him now!
Ouch.
Business as usual for my team!
Haha. Believe me, I can't tell you how many "can't miss" spot starters I've picked up only to see them blow up in my face. Who would have guessed that San Francisco would remember how to hit today?
:thumbup:He and Hochevar absolutely killed me today....and WHY THE F do you callup Sean Rodriguez if he isn't going to play everyday? Keep the kid in the minors and let him get some at bats instead of wasting him on the pine....and I have had John Bowker in every game that he DIDN'T hit a home run.Cripes.

The Mariners officially called up Clement and Balentin (designating Wilkerson and Norton) if you're a gamblin man.

Another 3 steals for Taveras today. If you're hurting for steals, he might still be on the wire.
:lmao: had him starting since last week when he was benched for 3 straight games. Missed out on 4 steals and a jump of 4 pts in my league. Wont happen again
Benched McLouth because he was facing Santana and....yep, leadoff HR.Oh, anyway....NICK ADENHART checked out of his hotel, and looks like he'll make his Major League debut for the Angels against the A's Thursday. There was some talk that soft-tosser Nick Green might get the start, but it looks like he'll have to wait.

Adenhart is pitching on short rest, but so was Garret Olsen, who seemed to do just fine for the Orioles.

The A's aren't the best matchup for him, as he has spotty command at times and the A's lineup is filled with patient hitters. It's his first go-around though, so I'm taking the gamble and starting him tomorrow. With confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another 3 steals for Taveras today. If you're hurting for steals, he might still be on the wire.
:goodposting: had him starting since last week when he was benched for 3 straight games. Missed out on 4 steals and a jump of 4 pts in my league. Wont happen again
Benched McLouth because he was facing Santana and....yep, leadoff HR.Oh, anyway....NICK ADENHART checked out of his hotel, and looks like he'll make his Major League debut for the Angels against the A's Thursday. There was some talk that soft-tosser Nick Green might get the start, but it looks like he'll have to wait.

Adenhart is pitching on short rest, but so was Garret Olsen, who seemed to do just fine for the Orioles.

The A's aren't the best matchup for him, as he has spotty command at times and the A's lineup is filled with patient hitters. It's his first go-around though, so I'm taking the gamble and starting him tomorrow. With confidence.
Adenhart isnt as much "cant miss" as Scherzer and Kershaw right?

Users who are viewing this thread