What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (5 Viewers)

I heard Simon Wilcotts on a sports talk show a couple of days ago. I think he used "at the end of the day" in every other sentence. As an added bonus he threw in the "do you know what the definition of insanity is?" hokum out there too. Dude's a maroon.
Oh that made me think of another. When a sports guy goes "the [insert name here]'s of the world." For example "The Hines Wards of the world," "The Hank Basketts of the world," "the Jay Cutlers of the world."
Yes. Even more ridiculous when used to describe players that are good and therefore more unique than others. You've got your Pujolses, your Adrian Gonzalezes . . . .

"dashboard"I heard this one used in a meting last night instead of "variety". :wall:
I was in a meeting the other day and someone used PB&J instead of "Peanut Butter and Jelly." :unsure:
Peanut Butter, Bread and Jelly is a great dashboard. Great dashboard.
At the end of the day it's not paramount like your pastrami, club and meatball sandwiches of the world. Those sandwiches have just assembled better pieces.

"Again" as a way to start a sentence when you are rephrasing something. Maybe you've just run out of #### to say?

Black Friday. Whenever I hear or see it the Steely Dan song immediately starts playing in my head. I used to like that song too.

Black Friday. Whenever I hear or see it the Steely Dan song immediately starts playing in my head. I used to like that song too.
Yes. One might add that the usage of the term to indicate a day when people are out shopping and doing presumably fun and positive things for themselves and the economy is bizarre and historically ignorant. The term refers to the 1869 stock market crash, and even in the retail day-after-TG context, was "coined" by the Philly police in the 60s because of all of the mayhem they had to deal with that day. Was Green Friday (which makes a hell of a lot more sense) taken?

What is with the en vogue NFL terms each year? I really wish my memory was better because there have been several but only a few come to mind right now...

For a while it was "smashmouth football"

then "they hit people in the mouth"

last year and this year it is "concussed"

last couple of weeks it seems to be "they need to be all-in"

"foils", when referring to powerpoint slides. I have no idea what the origin of this term is, but it grates on me for no particular reason.
Never heard this before.
This. What the hell industry do you work in?
Foils refers to the old celophane projector slides. You had a cart that you wheeled around with a machine on it that had a big light undeneath and an arm above it with a mirror. You put a celophane slide or "foil" over the light, and the light refracted off the mirror onto a projector screen.

"foils", when referring to powerpoint slides. I have no idea what the origin of this term is, but it grates on me for no particular reason.
Never heard this before.
Foils refers to the old celophane projector slides. You had a cart that you wheeled around with a machine on it that had a big light undeneath and an arm above it with a mirror. You put a celophane slide or "foil" over the light, and the light refracted off the mirror onto a projector screen.
Transparencies?

RudiStein said:
bostonfred said:
Otis said:
Never heard this before.
Transparencies?
Another word from back in the mimeograph days with that big purple roller thing.

No way in hell I'm reading through 20 plus pages to check but if "My bad" isn't mentioned at least a hundred times already it damn well should.

Transparencies?

Another word from back in the mimeograph days with that big purple roller thing.

Gawd I loved the smell of those freshly printed tests.

"mirror images of each other"

I want to know what psychedelic drugs someone was on when they thought that up.

Users who are viewing this thread