What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (2 Viewers)

Really hope I can get down there this year. When do you start booking hotel rooms?
Guster booked his yesterday. I"m waiting to hear back on a VRBO house down on the bluffs, then I'll likely book mine before christmas before rates get too high. I would NOT wait any later than late january. You might find rooms after that but they start sliding up in price pretty damn quickly.

Really hope I can get down there this year. When do you start booking hotel rooms?
Guster booked his yesterday. I"m waiting to hear back on a VRBO house down on the bluffs, then I'll likely book mine before christmas before rates get too high. I would NOT wait any later than late january. You might find rooms after that but they start sliding up in price pretty damn quickly.
Any new hotels to suggest or just the same old ones?

3 story scaffolding? I assume there are codes, regs, something in place? Are there others that have done this? Sounds scary as #### to me.
There are several teams down there that go 3 stories tall. Assuming it's built properly it's actually quite stable. Having actually been at our booth last year the guy who engineers it all knows to overbuild it this year. This is all industrial scaffolding though that they use to build high-rises and such. it's rather stout once it's all built/braced.
Ever seen the bamboo scaffolding they use in Asia? It's nutzo to see the guys lashing it together up there with no safety harnesses and bare feet.

Guster booked his yesterday. I"m waiting to hear back on a VRBO house down on the bluffs, then I'll likely book mine before christmas before rates get too high.

I would NOT wait any later than late january. You might find rooms after that but they start sliding up in price pretty damn quickly.
Any new hotels to suggest or just the same old ones?
THE OFFICIAL BBQFEST HOTEL GUIDE

BEST LOCATION TO WORST LOCATION (approximate)

Current Pricing based on Hotels.com

Westin Beale $243 (4 STARS) - Stayed here. Very nice, Great Location 1 block off beale street)

Peabody Memphis : $340 (4 STARS) - "The South's Grand Hotel". Gorgeous Lobby. Rooms a bit dated/small. A little overpriced. Very nice though

Hampton Inn & Suites $208 (2.5 STARS) - One block off Beale STreet as well. Decent hotel. Overpriced. Never Stayed here.

Holday Inn Select $172 (3 STARS) - 2 Blocks from Beale next to Peabody. Very good Location. Average Hotel. Been years since I've stayed here.

Econo Lodge $85 (2 STARS) - 3 Blocks from Beale just past Peabody. Good Location. Been Ages Since I've stayed here. Standard Basic Hotel Room.

Madison Hotel $253 (4 STARS) - (KAYAK) A short walk from beale... Good Location. Very nice Hotel. Never Stayed.

Crowne Plaza $145 (3.5 STARS) - About a 15 minute walk or short trolley ride from Beale. Decent Location. Best Cabbed to at Night. NIce Rooms/Layout.

Current Hotwire Hotel Rates

Searching Wed-Sun of that week for 4 Guests (guarantees 2 beds)

4 STAR HOTEL (most likely Westin Hotel) - $197/night

3.5 STAR HOTEL (most Likely Crowne Plaza Hotel) - $123/night

3 STAR HOTEL (most likely HOliday Inn Select) - $123/night

*Non Refundable

There are already quite a few hotels (Spring Hill Suites for Example) That are already booked solid for those dates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the park with the statue of the guy saving the shipwreck victim? Just wondering the scope of this - how much of that park is used for the event?

Is this the park with the statue of the guy saving the shipwreck victim? Just wondering the scope of this - how much of that park is used for the event?
iYep! All of it... And the 4 lane street next to it (riverside drive)... And then some. Frankly it could use a doubling of space but we are limited by surroundings. 4 years ago they moved from 30' wide lots to 24' wide lots. Every last square foot is utilized. It's packed In like a Haitian village over that entire park. So much so that its often a battle for extra inches... Folks started Moving the stakes that defined the lots over so they started marking lot boundaries w bright orange spray paint. It's crazy.

BUMP!

Booked at the Westin. We have Lagunitas Brewery on board as a sponsor. Negotiating Kegs now.

Last meeting got some pushback from some of the dickbags on the team who want to keep the same setup as last year (OVERcrowded) and decrease the number of people folks can bring.... whereas I want to get the bigger lot and go 3 stories on the scaffolding so we can accommodate the crowds better without having to shut people out. We should have the money (budget increasing from $22k to ~$30 for this year) so I'm not sure what the problem is. Getting tired of it though.

That said... it will all work out. It always does.

IF YOU'RE PLANNING ON COMING AND HAVEN'T BOOKED YOUR ROOMS YET: DO IT THIS WEEK.

Whats up folks....

Sooo.. a couple idiots on our team refused to shoot the locks off the team wallet and jump to the larger lot (40x50) so we're stuck in the same 24x50 lot that we had last year. What this means is we will have the same capacity issues as last year during peak times (5pm-10pm on thursday and friday). Yet again we'll have friends and family shut out of the booth due to security needing to cut off new entry.

This, along with a few other points of contention between my "group" of buddies (who happen to bring the most to the table) and the "old guard" (who don't do a ####### thing) has basically cemented that this will be my final year with Slab Yo Mama BBQ. It sucks as I've busted my ### building this group and recruiting good caliber folks for the better part of a decade now. However there's just no way to get past the foolishness of the guys who started the team.

Myself, and several other key members will likely be splitting off and forming a new team. I've engaged in some early stage talks... but we're HOPING Tipsy will have McClure's BBQ in a stable enough scenario that he can come up for a few days and handle pit duties. Upside is he would have full control over what we cook, what we turn in, and would therefore be able to "Claim credit" for any wins or strong finishes on behalf of McClure's Barbeque.

For those that are wondering what impact a couple trophies from this contest can have on your restaurant.... That is the relatively new Memphis BBQ Company that is founded by two of the top perennial contenders on the circuit... Natural Born Grillers and Yazoo's Delta Q. I just ate there Sunday and the place was mobbed. Apparently it is always mobbed. They are making a small fortune and are turning out what is in the running as the best 'que in the city. :thumbup:

THAT SAID: This year will be going on as usual. For those planning to come down, I am going to be somewhat limited on wristbands this year for our tent due to a slight constriction of supply (due to capacity issues). Not to mention I have friends coming in from San Diego, New Orleans, South Florida...etc etc. I WILL have no trouble getting you guys in though. Just let me know who's coming by for sure. Drop in's by locals during the day on Thursday or Friday will be the easiest to accommodate. Those traveling in from out of town are covered for the duration of the festival. :thumbup:

It's gonna be a damn good time as always. :banned:

Just booked at the Westin... checking in on Wednesday, May 15th, checking out on Sunday, May 19thFigured I'd book end it just to make sure I'm there for all the fun. Is that too long considering I will just be a spectator?Looks like it's an 8 hour car ride or $350 direct flight.
Guster, you're still in for this year? Myself and all my buddies are staying at Westin as well. Acer, did you ever book?

LAST CHANCE HOTELS

Looks like a couple last minute rooms on Hotwire at some 4.5 star hotel downtown (peabody I'm guessing) have freed up. $193/night plus taxes/fees for what is likely a room with one bed... doesn't appear rooms with two beds are available.

I don't anticipate them lasting super long...

Icon,I've been in memphis for about 6 years and I've never made it to BBQ fest. :bag: I will be there this year though. Please keep us updated on where your lot is located so I can stop by.

Icon,I've been in memphis for about 6 years and I've never made it to BBQ fest. :bag: I will be there this year though. Please keep us updated on where your lot is located so I can stop by.
NUMBLES! :excited: You got it buddy. Wait... you've been living in Memphis for 6 years?! :confused:

Whats up folks....Sooo.. a couple idiots on our team refused to shoot the locks off the team wallet and jump to the larger lot (40x50) so we're stuck in the same 24x50 lot that we had last year. What this means is we will have the same capacity issues as last year during peak times (5pm-10pm on thursday and friday). Yet again we'll have friends and family shut out of the booth due to security needing to cut off new entry. This, along with a few other points of contention between my "group" of buddies (who happen to bring the most to the table) and the "old guard" (who don't do a ####### thing) has basically cemented that this will be my final year with Slab Yo Mama BBQ. It sucks as I've busted my ### building this group and recruiting good caliber folks for the better part of a decade now. However there's just no way to get past the foolishness of the guys who started the team. Myself, and several other key members will likely be splitting off and forming a new team. I've engaged in some early stage talks... but we're HOPING Tipsy will have McClure's BBQ in a stable enough scenario that he can come up for a few days and handle pit duties. Upside is he would have full control over what we cook, what we turn in, and would therefore be able to "Claim credit" for any wins or strong finishes on behalf of McClure's Barbeque. For those that are wondering what impact a couple trophies from this contest can have on your restaurant.... That is the relatively new Memphis BBQ Company that is founded by two of the top perennial contenders on the circuit... Natural Born Grillers and Yazoo's Delta Q. I just ate there Sunday and the place was mobbed. Apparently it is always mobbed. They are making a small fortune and are turning out what is in the running as the best 'que in the city. :thumbup:THAT SAID: This year will be going on as usual. For those planning to come down, I am going to be somewhat limited on wristbands this year for our tent due to a slight constriction of supply (due to capacity issues). Not to mention I have friends coming in from San Diego, New Orleans, South Florida...etc etc. I WILL have no trouble getting you guys in though. Just let me know who's coming by for sure. Drop in's by locals during the day on Thursday or Friday will be the easiest to accommodate. Those traveling in from out of town are covered for the duration of the festival. :thumbup:It's gonna be a damn good time as always. :banned:
I hope they enjoy their 4' x 8' lot, cooking on a Smokey Jr Grill, listening to a radio, while drinking pitchers of water from the near spigot once you start up a new team.

Just booked at the Westin... checking in on Wednesday, May 15th, checking out on Sunday, May 19thFigured I'd book end it just to make sure I'm there for all the fun. Is that too long considering I will just be a spectator?Looks like it's an 8 hour car ride or $350 direct flight.
Guster, you're still in for this year? Myself and all my buddies are staying at Westin as well. Acer, did you ever book?
I have my room booked...For a while it looked like I was going to be on a work trip to Europe at this time, but I found out last night that the budget for that trip evaporated. I'm still trying to find a friend to join me on the trek down, so I would say that as of right now it's 90% certain that I'll be there :thumbup:

So you buy tickets watch people BBQ and get to taste as well? How's this work?
~500 private parties. Each party has free booze and BBQ for it's guests. If you know someone with a tent... you're set. If you don't know someone... it's as you describe... on the outside looking in. There's still a lot of partying around outside the tents but the true hospitality is in each private booth.

'Guster said:
I have my room booked...For a while it looked like I was going to be on a work trip to Europe at this time, but I found out last night that the budget for that trip evaporated. I'm still trying to find a friend to join me on the trek down, so I would say that as of right now it's 90% certain that I'll be there :thumbup:
:thumbup:

'BassNBrew said:
I hope they enjoy their 4' x 8' lot, cooking on a Smokey Jr Grill, listening to a radio, while drinking pitchers of water from the near spigot once you start up a new team.
:lmao: They'll do alright but they will take a pretty big hit. Several of the team members (outside of the group that are likely going to split) have come forth saying they want to come with us if we leave. Not sure we'll accept as we're trying to keep this from coming off as gutting the old team. Plus the whole point is to keep this new team consisting of all close knit buddies to avoid this conflict crap going forward.

Can you get me into these parties? I have a client down there and can find an excuse to visit...

Can you get me into these parties? I have a client down there and can find an excuse to visit...
Sorry just caught this. Yes. Book hotel rooms ASAP. Let me know how many people will be with you. I'll have groups of friends in from San Diego, Chicago, New Orleans, Knoxville, and West Palm Beach. Might as well add NYC to it. I can definitely get you and your guests (2-3 max preferably) into our party and likely walk you guys into couple more (assuming you guys are willing to "contribute to the cause" (throw a $20 into the tip jar to help fund the party). I'll likely walk the whole group around the park during the day on thursday to get all the wristbands squared away... then with those wristbands you're good for the whole festival at each tent. Shooting you a PM.

Whoever is planning on coming.. I need to know if you want me to Pre-Buy you guys 3-day wristbands for $24ea. I need to know by early next week. Normal entry is $9/day and does NOT include Re-Entry. The $24 wristband is good for all 3 days and allows re-entry. It's the way to go if you're coming to the whole festival and you can NOT buy these at the gate... only pre-order through teams (like me).

Soooo

IF YOU'RE COMING THIS YEAR AND WANT ME TO PRE-ORDER YOU 3DAY PASSES, PM me and I'll give you my PayPal address.

We have had our booth assigned as R-010. To put it in perspective...

HERE IS A CLOSEUP OF OUR BOOTH LOCATION BASED ON 2012 MAP >

That little rectangle indicating R-010 is actually 24'x50'. Across that sidewalk is a grassy slope into the MS river. Great Great location with regard to views. R 009 is actually another group of freinds, the Swine-O's who party hard as well. IT should be among the rowdiest 2-tent groupings in the whole park. :)

HERE IS AN OVERHEAD OF LAST YEAR'S ENTIRE PARK LAYOUT >

Zooming out truly gives you the perspective on how HUGE this festival really is...

Sent this in a PM so posting it here... a writeup of what to expect for BBQfest:

THURSDAY 12pm-5pm :

Very chill... think backyard cookout meets quiet before the storm. Like the the "just landed in vegas" syndrome, many are tempted to over-capitalize on the open bar..driven by the wafting odors of burning fruitwood and slow-smoking pork carcass....seduced by "Old Man River" slowly drifting by. But like the undercurrents of the mighty mississippi... there is turbulence under the surface... pace yourself young padawan.

THURSDAY 5pm-7pm:

Crowds start filtering in. Dinner is served. Enjoy some of the best BBQ you will ever...ever eat. Head up to the upper deck of a booth with scaffolding... beer in one hand...rib in the other... and just watch the sun set over the Mississippi. Soak it for a bit, because as the sun falls, the music picks up and so do the crowds.

THURSDAY 7pm-11pm:

Prepare to be lost in a sea of humanity. 500 booths trying to outdo each other with music, booze, and general mayhem. Our DJ starts spinning to get the crowd moving. At this point if you're not already in the popular booths they might already be at capacity. Tens of thousands of people swirling around on the narrow walkways between this impromptu pork city. Some marvelling, wishing they could get into the parties.. others navigating between the window lickers en route to the next booth they have access to. Like any other major festival you will have a wide swath of backgrounds... but being at the junction of TN/MS/ARK, you will have some QUALITY people-watching. Enjoy it. As with before, there is a temptation, like the first night in vegas, to go balls out. Careful... this is day one.

THURSDAY 11:30pm:

At this point the park starts to shut down. Non team members are ushered to the entrance. AT this point you decide if you feel like going to your room, or if you want to hit Beale Street, which is but a very short walk. Beale is like a mini-bourbon street. Open container laws don't apply. Booze served till the wee hours. Some of the worlds best blues artists on display. A little something for everyone. Lots of gems just off beale in the downtown area as well. Keep the party going downtown or call it a night to recoup. Your call.

FRIDAY 11am-4pm:

Much like Thursday afternoon (except perhaps a bit more rowdy)...we have a great backyard cookout vibe. Teams are starting to prep and turn in stuff so there is a little more of a "business vibe" in the pits but overall there is a lot of drinking...stories being shared from the night before....and of course starting at 2pm or so we have the annual "Rating of the Bar-B-Cuties". This is where my buddies and I are all sufficiently drunk to flank the walkway along the river armed with stacks of paper plates and sharpies. We then proceed to rank passing women on a scale of 1-10... or hold up messages ranging from flirtatious to downright crude. The wives/girlfriends all drink bloody marys in the booth and laugh at us for being jackasses. I love this tradition.

FRIDAY 4pm-6pm:

Friday picks up a bit quicker than Thursday since an increasing number of people have taken to getting out of work at lunch or earlier on friday to start things off right. Of course, if you're a professional like us, you've been off work since tuesday. Regardless.. it starts getting crowded. Generally we've had top tier blues talent playing acoustic sets at our booth from 5-8pm or so. I'm talking some of the baddest mofo's youve ever seen. Unfortunately this year my very good buddy who usually assembles the groups will likely be in Los Angeles still filming The Voice (he's a favorite to make a deep run into this season). I'm still working on this, however.

FRIDAY 7pm-11pm:

Again.. mayhem. DJs. Chaos. This is the last big night before things get serious. Whole Hog teams are down to business (at least the pits are) due to the long cook times. Rib teams don't start the fires till wee hours of sat AM so we tie one on. Smae rules apply. tents mobbed. Huge crowds outside milling about. Free booze. Free chow. Life is good

SATURDAY afternoon:

Generally speaking saturday is a quiet day. Judging occurs around lunchtime or a bit after and you can't assume teams will feed you. It's actually very cool to see the judging process... teams are dressed up. Booths are SPOTLESS. Things are much quieter. Judges come around 3 per booth (individually) and meet the team, listen to the pitch from the pitmaster, and taste the BBQ. Teams huddle up when the judges leave and discuss what was said. This info is passed down to the team's friends/family like a grade school game of telephone...careful not to disturb judging going on at neighboring booths. Everyone relaxes... tries to choke down a few drinks to quell the shakes from the previous two nights of debauchery.

Once judging is over...we cook ALL the food that is left. If you're lucky you get a rib off the judges plate (sounds gross but this will be the best of the best.... of the hundred slabs we may cook all week long the best 3-4 will be selected for this. Music slowly comes up and we drink and relax. Similar to the daytime vibe at the previous days it's a relaxing end-of fest party. ARound 5pm we throw a keg and booze in a cart and wheel it up to the stage with all the other teams to watch the awards presentation... HOPING for a "walk" (top 10 finish to get on stage for trophies).

After judging the team starts basically breaking things down a bit and most folks head to beale street to party downtown for the rest of the night (if they've got enough energy).

Sunday the entire park is broken down and shipped out and nothing is left of the great party that is BBQFest: The World Championship of BBQ.

I didnt. I am unable to make it this year

i cannot believe they didn't pony up for the larger lot. silly.
I KNOW RIGHT?! Tipsy has not only been to this event but has been on the inside... cooking and helping setup/breakdown/throw the party. He gets it. :lmao:

Tipsy, you'll love this one... they're torching off the crappy firebox on the big pit on the smoker and trying to build a new one to use that as well as the backwoods. Plus the backwoods is getting moved onto the trailer so courtney will not have any extra cooking space outside the kitchen area. The scaffold will go all the way back this year (no pit space in the back of the lot.

He's gonna be CRAMMMPPPPPEEED and IMO it will be funny to see what kinda chow comes off that big old tank of a pit. Temp control on that thing will be brutal. Oh well...

I KNOW RIGHT?! Tipsy has not only been to this event but has been on the inside... cooking and helping setup/breakdown/throw the party. He gets it. :lmao:

Tipsy, you'll love this one... they're torching off the crappy firebox on the big pit on the smoker and trying to build a new one to use that as well as the backwoods. Plus the backwoods is getting moved onto the trailer so courtney will not have any extra cooking space outside the kitchen area. The scaffold will go all the way back this year (no pit space in the back of the lot.

He's gonna be CRAMMMPPPPPEEED and IMO it will be funny to see what kinda chow comes off that big old tank of a pit. Temp control on that thing will be brutal. Oh well...
Did you get my PM?

Did you get my PM?
Just noticed it. Got ya down for two 3-day passes, GB. :thumbup:

I really want to make this event someday. Maybe next year i can be a sponser for the new team! Keep us updated....

It's possible to be a judge for 2 hours? Looks interesting.http://memphisinmay.org/worldchampionshipbbqcontest
Yes... limited number of spots but the public can pay $10 to judge for people's choice. I could probably scan/post the MBN Judges manual (I'm a certified MBN Judge) as guidance if anyone does this.

So yah... had a prelim meeting with one of the idiots that runs this thing.

A few notes:

WARNING: Mildly entertaining BBQ team drama ahead 1) Team has 6k debt after repairs on trailer. They are trying to recoup at least 3k of that under "We will be stuck w debt" guise... except the trailer is worth about 10-14k now that it's been completely sandblasted and painted (I got done for free), new floors/decking (i got done for free), new electrical (I got done for free), new axles (we got done on cheap) and new wheels and tires. Basically a complete overhaul. Guess who gets that $ when the trailer is sold? Not me... the guys whining about the 6k in debt. I guess I need to bring up the concept of assets and liabilities at this meeting tonight. 2) He begins explaining how I need to do this and that... I explain that I have busted my ### (tipsy will verify) every year and the problem isn't stacking more work on me, it's getting the 4-5 guys who don't do a ####### thing to start pulling their weight. He then turns into condescending manager mode "If I was the CEO of a fortune 500 company and I was paying you $100k a year to be in charge of a department, I wouldn't want to hear excuses about how you can't handle everything in this department. :lol:At that point I start getting heated and respond with something to the effect of "Yes but you're not the ####### CEO of anything... and I'm paying $400+ a year to enjoy myself, not carry half the ####### team on my back. And if I was working in an office busting my ### and you came to tell me to come in on sunday, I'd tell you to go #### yourself and have Jenkins 2 cubes down do it since he's been doing nothing but jerking off all day." He didn't like that. At this point I'm starting to drink my beers a little more quickly as I'm getting heated. Matt asks for clarification.. "Are the team members that refuse to pay higher dues also the guys who refuse to do any work?" Ricky refuses to acklowledge which means yes. We know who these #######s are. I suggest the simple concept of "Pay a little extra in dues, OR do the grunt work like load in that the rest of us want to pay laborers to do." Ricky shoots that down... "Zack asked to do that too but I don't want to". Why not "I don't want to treat anyone like second class citizens on the team." At this point I'm staring at this kid in disbelief. "So you're telling me that we have to bust our asses doing #### labor because we can't afford to pay $10/hr to some grunts because those 4 #######s refuse to pay more dues?""Yes""And these are the same #######s that will miss load in and not have to do any of the work... and will miss any real work the whole festival?""Yes... you know how it is... we can't expect..."I stand up in my chair looking down at him wild eyed and he stops mid sentence and freezes. I practically yell "ricky, you sound like a ####### democrat"At this point matt goes face down in the table laughing hysterically... ricky gets wide eyed... his wife stops talking to her friend and glares at me. I continue "#### you ricky.. i"m not even doing the bar this year. I think I'm gonna go on the low dues, no work plan too" R: He gets defensive... "You know half the team doesn't want the bar... we never needed a bar before....we were fine with just a couple kegs"

M: "Is that so? don't need a bar? Why did we go through 12 cases of vodka last year? You going to tell these sponsors that their drink options are Draft PBR or bottled water?" R: "Well...I uh...I just thought we'd do a self serve bar" M: "Fannnnn ####### tastic! Mick and I will drop 12 cases of vodka, 6 cases of soda, and 50 cases of redbull on the floor in the corner next to the bar and people can just help themselves. I'm sure that will go over swimmingly"R: "Well... no... I mean...I'd..... (pauses...changes topic)... the bar is a waste. It never even helps the team out" M: (getting more pissed if possible) "Are you ####### kidding me?"R: "I do the books every year. I've never seen one dollar come back from that bar you guys claim helps so much" M: "We paid the team $2500 back 3 yeras ago.... $3500 the previous year... and the only reason we only paid $1k last year was because every ####### incidental the whole week was paid for out of bar money. It's been our 2nd or 3rd largest sponsor every year since I started running it. R: "YOu're full of ####... I've never seen dollar one on these taxes". M: "(Pulls up spreadsheets.) #### you. There's your numbers. cash was handed to ________. You know what... #### this... Bar will get done this year. My way. and I'm out after this year. Period. The only reason I'm doing this so ______ & _____ (my good buddies helping me with bar) aren't stuck with it by themselves." R: "Cmon... you're not quitting"M: "Done" (starts packing up laptop and paperwork). #### goes back and forth and we leave. By 10am this morning we already had a dozen guys on board for the new team... a new team name "Slabs of Anarchy" with logo under development to mimick the SOA logo, but with a boar skull head, holding a slab of ribs dripping w BBQ sauce (instead of the A globe)...etc. Domain name "Slabsofanarchy.com" has been purchased.

Talked to Tipsy and he's on board to run the pit (he has full control and can claim all awards won for his restaurant in NOLA). We've also likely rounded up the assistant pitmaster for a 2 time grand champion rib team who's looking to branch out. If it works out he can work with tipsy and help bring him up to speed on the nuances of turn ins, flavor profiles, etc that get top finishes at Memphis in May. We wil have "Old lady" shirts made for the GFs/Wives of team members. We already have half a dozen folks who want to contribute a few hundred bucks to feel welcome but don't want to deal with being on the team. they will be "Nomad" members. The whole theme will play off the show. Already have ideas on having the bar aread look like a shop with back wall having pegboard with tools hanging and such.... lots of fun little touches. we will be taking the red bull sponsorship with us, the scaffolding deal with us, the kegerator, bar, the DJ, the lighting rigs...pretty much everything but the trailer. We've already got 2 potential major sponsors that will be laid back (no having to pander to them... ). It's looking like NEXT year will be unreal as we launch Slabs Of Anarchy. :headbang:

There is talk of getting the SOA shirts made up before THIS year and having all our guys who are on the new team wear them in our current team tent on Friday night just to bust some balls :lmao:

Good times... This should be a fun year having two hot professional bartendresses doing all the work slinging drinks. I'll be focusing on actually socializing for a change :banned:

All you have to do is ribs for the comp? Where is the challenge in that?
For MBN you compete in either Ribs, Shoulder, or hog. Rest assured the level of competition at this event is more than your average "Cul-de-sac championship" ;) A win here can launch a successful restaurant. There are also ancillary contests that many teams compete in.. Beef, Seafood, Poultry, sauces (tomato, mustard, vinegar base), Beans, Slaw, etc etc etc. Those are quite competitive as well.

How is there not a show about this?
Pitmasters is on and it's got some entertaining crap but most teams have infighting as well (20 guys together drunk all day for a week) and there are bound to be some clashes. Tipsy can verify that there has been a dynamic issue on our team for a while now... I have blown up at least once a year (on behalf of my guys that I brought aboard) because I get frustrated with stupid ####. Example: Last year we were at capacity by 5pm every day. 400+ people packed in. hundred plus standing outside waiting to get in. Mob scene. This year... I push for a bigger lot. No. We don't have the money they say. One of my buddies finds a sponsor to cover it. They still balk. Not only do they not get a bigger lot, these idiots actually downsize us from a 24x50 to a 24x40 :lol: When the same group of morons makes the same stupid #### decisions year after year after year and it only results in more work for you... you develop a short temper.

Why are you paying money to anyone? I don't get it.
To field a "team" at the World Championship of BBQ it costs...a lot. Our budget is 20-25k for a 4 day party and a bunch of entries. ~20 guys... $400 each is $8k of that. The rest comes from sponsors who give 5-12k to bring clients into the booth to eat/drink. Everything adds up since everyone who comes into our booth enjoys everything for free. Free BBQ. Free Booze. No Cover. If you're on the list it's all on us.

To field a "team" at the World Championship of BBQ it costs...a lot. Our budget is 20-25k for a 4 day party and a bunch of entries. ~20 guys... $400 each is $8k of that. The rest comes from sponsors who give 5-12k to bring clients into the booth to eat/drink. Everything adds up since everyone who comes into our booth enjoys everything for free. Free BBQ. Free Booze. No Cover. If you're on the list it's all on us.
You take donations at the door?

You take donations at the door?
We do at the bar but they're definitely not required. Some folks throw in a 20 spot.. some throw in a couple bucks for each drink. Some folks throw in $100-300. It just depends. Generally we take in ~4k-ish in donations from guests. That cash goes toward funding the bar then goes back into team coiffers to help fund next year.

So yah... had a prelim meeting with one of the idiots that runs this thing.

A few notes:

WARNING: Mildly entertaining BBQ team drama ahead 1) Team has 6k debt after repairs on trailer. They are trying to recoup at least 3k of that under "We will be stuck w debt" guise... except the trailer is worth about 10-14k now that it's been completely sandblasted and painted (I got done for free), new floors/decking (i got done for free), new electrical (I got done for free), new axles (we got done on cheap) and new wheels and tires. Basically a complete overhaul. Guess who gets that $ when the trailer is sold? Not me... the guys whining about the 6k in debt. I guess I need to bring up the concept of assets and liabilities at this meeting tonight. 2) He begins explaining how I need to do this and that... I explain that I have busted my ### (tipsy will verify) every year and the problem isn't stacking more work on me, it's getting the 4-5 guys who don't do a ####### thing to start pulling their weight. He then turns into condescending manager mode "If I was the CEO of a fortune 500 company and I was paying you $100k a year to be in charge of a department, I wouldn't want to hear excuses about how you can't handle everything in this department. :lol:At that point I start getting heated and respond with something to the effect of "Yes but you're not the ####### CEO of anything... and I'm paying $400+ a year to enjoy myself, not carry half the ####### team on my back. And if I was working in an office busting my ### and you came to tell me to come in on sunday, I'd tell you to go #### yourself and have Jenkins 2 cubes down do it since he's been doing nothing but jerking off all day." He didn't like that. At this point I'm starting to drink my beers a little more quickly as I'm getting heated. Matt asks for clarification.. "Are the team members that refuse to pay higher dues also the guys who refuse to do any work?" Ricky refuses to acklowledge which means yes. We know who these #######s are. I suggest the simple concept of "Pay a little extra in dues, OR do the grunt work like load in that the rest of us want to pay laborers to do." Ricky shoots that down... "Zack asked to do that too but I don't want to". Why not "I don't want to treat anyone like second class citizens on the team." At this point I'm staring at this kid in disbelief. "So you're telling me that we have to bust our asses doing #### labor because we can't afford to pay $10/hr to some grunts because those 4 #######s refuse to pay more dues?""Yes""And these are the same #######s that will miss load in and not have to do any of the work... and will miss any real work the whole festival?""Yes... you know how it is... we can't expect..."I stand up in my chair looking down at him wild eyed and he stops mid sentence and freezes. I practically yell "ricky, you sound like a ####### democrat"At this point matt goes face down in the table laughing hysterically... ricky gets wide eyed... his wife stops talking to her friend and glares at me. I continue "#### you ricky.. i"m not even doing the bar this year. I think I'm gonna go on the low dues, no work plan too" R: He gets defensive... "You know half the team doesn't want the bar... we never needed a bar before....we were fine with just a couple kegs"

M: "Is that so? don't need a bar? Why did we go through 12 cases of vodka last year? You going to tell these sponsors that their drink options are Draft PBR or bottled water?" R: "Well...I uh...I just thought we'd do a self serve bar" M: "Fannnnn ####### tastic! Mick and I will drop 12 cases of vodka, 6 cases of soda, and 50 cases of redbull on the floor in the corner next to the bar and people can just help themselves. I'm sure that will go over swimmingly"R: "Well... no... I mean...I'd..... (pauses...changes topic)... the bar is a waste. It never even helps the team out" M: (getting more pissed if possible) "Are you ####### kidding me?"R: "I do the books every year. I've never seen one dollar come back from that bar you guys claim helps so much" M: "We paid the team $2500 back 3 yeras ago.... $3500 the previous year... and the only reason we only paid $1k last year was because every ####### incidental the whole week was paid for out of bar money. It's been our 2nd or 3rd largest sponsor every year since I started running it. R: "YOu're full of ####... I've never seen dollar one on these taxes". M: "(Pulls up spreadsheets.) #### you. There's your numbers. cash was handed to ________. You know what... #### this... Bar will get done this year. My way. and I'm out after this year. Period. The only reason I'm doing this so ______ & _____ (my good buddies helping me with bar) aren't stuck with it by themselves." R: "Cmon... you're not quitting"M: "Done" (starts packing up laptop and paperwork). #### goes back and forth and we leave. By 10am this morning we already had a dozen guys on board for the new team... a new team name "Slabs of Anarchy" with logo under development to mimick the SOA logo, but with a boar skull head, holding a slab of ribs dripping w BBQ sauce (instead of the A globe)...etc. Domain name "Slabsofanarchy.com" has been purchased.

Talked to Tipsy and he's on board to run the pit (he has full control and can claim all awards won for his restaurant in NOLA). We've also likely rounded up the assistant pitmaster for a 2 time grand champion rib team who's looking to branch out. If it works out he can work with tipsy and help bring him up to speed on the nuances of turn ins, flavor profiles, etc that get top finishes at Memphis in May. We wil have "Old lady" shirts made for the GFs/Wives of team members. We already have half a dozen folks who want to contribute a few hundred bucks to feel welcome but don't want to deal with being on the team. they will be "Nomad" members. The whole theme will play off the show. Already have ideas on having the bar aread look like a shop with back wall having pegboard with tools hanging and such.... lots of fun little touches. we will be taking the red bull sponsorship with us, the scaffolding deal with us, the kegerator, bar, the DJ, the lighting rigs...pretty much everything but the trailer. We've already got 2 potential major sponsors that will be laid back (no having to pander to them... ). It's looking like NEXT year will be unreal as we launch Slabs Of Anarchy. :headbang:

There is talk of getting the SOA shirts made up before THIS year and having all our guys who are on the new team wear them in our current team tent on Friday night just to bust some balls :lmao:

Good times... This should be a fun year having two hot professional bartendresses doing all the work slinging drinks. I'll be focusing on actually socializing for a change :banned:
So Friday or Saturday night will now be a Biker Bash theme night were everyone comes in Biker gear? You know Full Throttle style

What do you get if you win the "World Championship"?

Users who are viewing this thread