Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tipsy mcstagger

FBG's Kitchen: The Blog

BBWC - here's a meatloaf recipe from the America's Test Kitchen 30-minute recipe book. FWIW, this is an AWESOME book and everything I've tried has been great. Granted, most recipes take closer to an hour, but they're well worth it.

Meatloaves

17 saltines, crushed fine

1/4 cup milk (or slightly more if needed)

1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced

3 tablespoons Worcestershire

1 lg egg

1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Salt/pepper to taste

1 1/2 lbs meatloaf mix

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Glaze

1/2 cup ketchup

1/4 cup light brown sugar

4 teaspoons cider vinegar

1. Heat oven to 500

2. Mix glaze ingredients

3. Mix all ingredients for meatloaves (except oil). Divide into 4 equal portions to make "mini's". Heat oil and brown loaves well on one side, 3-5 minutes.

4. Flip loaves. Cover with glaze and cook until centers of loaves reach 160 (about 15 minutes).

You can either brown and cook the loaves in the same pan or transfer them to a broiler rack before placing in oven. I usually double the glaze and top them again while they rest for a few minutes prior to serving.

I have tried quite a few different meatloaf recipes in my time and have discovered one from Guy Fieri (host of Triple D) that is awesome. It is a recipe that involves a bit of work, but well worth it. The recipe is for a metloaf with a cornbread stuffing inside. It is delicious. I have also tried the recipe without the stuffing. Only catch with that is to add more seasoning than you think. Here is Guy's recipe:

Cornbread Stuffed Meatloaf

Ingredients

Stuffing:

* 2 large or 5 small corn muffins (2 to 3 cups), crumbled by hand

* 1/2 pound bacon, chopped

* 1 red bell pepper, diced

* 1 tablespoon seeded and minced jalapeno

* 2 tablespoons minced garlic

* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

* Salt and pepper

* 1 egg, beaten

Meatloaf:

* 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons

* 1 cup diced red onion

* 1 tablespoon seeded and minced jalapeno

* 2 tablespoons minced garlic

* 2 pounds ground beef

* 1 pound ground pork

* 2 teaspoons sea salt

* 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper

* 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves

* 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves

* 1 teaspoon dry mustard

* 1/4 cup ketchup

* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

* 2 eggs

* 6 ounces sliced Cheddar

Directions

For the stuffing: Preheat oven to 275 to 300 degrees F.

Spread the cornbread crumbs on a sheet pan and let toast for about 20 minutes, or until lightly toasted and dry. Turn oven up to 350 degrees F.

In a skillet brown the bacon until crispy. Drain. To the same skillet add the red pepper, jalapeno, and garlic and cook until soft.

In a bowl, combine the cornbread crumbs, bacon, and vegetable mixture. Add parsley and salt and pepper, to taste. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

For the meatloaf: In medium skillet over medium heat add oil, red onions, jalapeno and garlic. Cook until caramelized, remove from heat and let cool.

In a bowl combine the meat, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme, mustard, ketchup Worcestershire, and eggs and thoroughly mix.

Divide the meat mixture in half. Shape 1 half into a rectangle, creating a canoe, and then loosely fill with stuffing. Do not pack it in. Use the other half of the meat to fully enclose the stuffing. Transfer to the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Layer the cheese slices on top and bake for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and let rest for about 10 minutes. Cut into thick slices and serve.

Original link to the recipe as well Enjoy!

BBWC - here's a meatloaf recipe from the America's Test Kitchen 30-minute recipe book. FWIW, this is an AWESOME book and everything I've tried has been great. Granted, most recipes take closer to an hour, but they're well worth it. Meatloaves17 saltines, crushed fine1/4 cup milk (or slightly more if needed)1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced3 tablespoons Worcestershire1 lg egg1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard1 teaspoon onion powder1 teaspoon garlic powderSalt/pepper to taste1 1/2 lbs meatloaf mix2 teaspoons vegetable oilGlaze1/2 cup ketchup1/4 cup light brown sugar4 teaspoons cider vinegar1. Heat oven to 5002. Mix glaze ingredients3. Mix all ingredients for meatloaves (except oil). Divide into 4 equal portions to make "mini's". Heat oil and brown loaves well on one side, 3-5 minutes. 4. Flip loaves. Cover with glaze and cook until centers of loaves reach 160 (about 15 minutes).You can either brown and cook the loaves in the same pan or transfer them to a broiler rack before placing in oven. I usually double the glaze and top them again while they rest for a few minutes prior to serving.

Maybe I'm dense, but a follow up on this one. For step 3, are you browning on a stove top or placing the loaves in the broiler pan/oven safe pan and browning in the oven?Will report back and thanks to Osaurus for his suggestion. Just a little time intensive for today, but sounds good as well.

Maybe I'm dense, but a follow up on this one. For step 3, are you browning on a stove top or placing the loaves in the broiler pan/oven safe pan and browning in the oven?Will report back and thanks to Osaurus for his suggestion. Just a little time intensive for today, but sounds good as well.

Sorry for any confusion, but brown on stove top then transfer to to the oven. My first attempt, I browned in a cast iron skillet then transferred the skillet to the oven. I found this method made the meatloaves a bit greasy for my taste. Subsequently, I've browned stove top and then placed on the broiler pan in the oven to finish. It seems like having the extra grease drip down into the catch pan makes them get a nice crust on them. If using a broiler pan you do want to be careful not to over-glaze during the first part of the cooking in the oven. You don't want to waste that stuff. It's precious. Also, you want to line the catch pan with some foil or make sure you spray it well to ease clean-up.

Tipsy - making the Sherried Chicken Linguine - how much garlic? It is omitted from the recipe, but in the description. Love me some garlic. 4-6 cloves?

This is awesome. I will go through the recipes sometime soon to see what the familiy may like. Maybe I'll add some.

BBWC - here's a meatloaf recipe from the America's Test Kitchen 30-minute recipe book. FWIW, this is an AWESOME book and everything I've tried has been great. Granted, most recipes take closer to an hour, but they're well worth it. Meatloaves17 saltines, crushed fine1/4 cup milk (or slightly more if needed)1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced3 tablespoons Worcestershire1 lg egg1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard1 teaspoon onion powder1 teaspoon garlic powderSalt/pepper to taste1 1/2 lbs meatloaf mix2 teaspoons vegetable oilGlaze1/2 cup ketchup1/4 cup light brown sugar4 teaspoons cider vinegar1. Heat oven to 5002. Mix glaze ingredients3. Mix all ingredients for meatloaves (except oil). Divide into 4 equal portions to make "mini's". Heat oil and brown loaves well on one side, 3-5 minutes. 4. Flip loaves. Cover with glaze and cook until centers of loaves reach 160 (about 15 minutes).You can either brown and cook the loaves in the same pan or transfer them to a broiler rack before placing in oven. I usually double the glaze and top them again while they rest for a few minutes prior to serving.

Good stuff...and the glaze was awesome! Kids lapped it up and asked for more. Guess I'll have to double the recipe next time:)

Chicken Fried Rice

1 pack-3 chicken breasts...about a pound and a half or so of chicken. Cut into small cubes.

2 cups cooked rice.

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup...chicken broth

3 TBSP Brown sugar...pretty big rounded spoonfuls unpacked

1 tsp black pepper

2 tsp ginger

4 large garlic cloves minced or chopped finely

1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrot mix.\

1 egg

Mix the oil, broth, pepper, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, and soy sauce and set aside.

In a little oil and butter brown the chicken...this works best in a stir fry skillet/wok type pan.

Mix in the frozen peas and carrots and cover for about 5 minutes...stirring about halfway through the 5 minutes.

Move the chicken and veggies to the side a bit and add the egg to the empty portion of the pan...scrambling it up and cooking it through. Break up as much as possible and stir through the meat and veggies to its mixed in well.

Add the 2 cups of cooked rice and the sauce mix and stir to mix the sauce in well. Continue on Med-low heat til the sauce is well soaked into the rice and chicken and veggies.

Enjoy.

Can also add in a little diced onion but my kids won't eat it if I do...so I leave it out.

Id also like to try adding a bit of pepper flake in there to spice it up...but have not tried yet.

edited to remove honey in this. It simply was not needed when I upped the brown sugar...if you like it sweeter...go ahead with some honey or more brown sugar...like it saltier, obviously up the soy a bit and lose some broth...you can even use the sodium free broth here and the soy makes up for it plenty.

Good recipe for doctoring up some black beans:

Olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, diced

1 tsp. ground cumin

½ tsp. dried oregano

½ tsp. Mexican-style hot sauce, or more to taste (this amount makes mild beans)

1 small (or ½ medium) clove garlic, pressed

1 (15-ounce) can black beans

¼ tsp. salt, or to taste

Pour a glug of olive oil into a medium saucepan, and warm it over medium heat. Add the onion, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and pale golden. It should be just starting to caramelize; it might scorch a bit in areas too, and that’s just fine. Add the ground cumin and oregano, and stir well. Add the hot sauce, and stir well again. Add the garlic, followed by the beans and their can juices. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the beans are soft and warmed through. (Some brands of beans are softer than others; some will be ready as soon as they’re warm, but some need more time.) Taste, and salt as needed.

Note: This recipe doubles easily. There’s no need to double the onion, though; one is plenty for two cans of beans.

Tipsy - making the Sherried Chicken Linguine - how much garlic? It is omitted from the recipe, but in the description. Love me some garlic. 4-6 cloves?

Yep

Here is a pasta salad recipe I have been making lately (with some of my own modifications). I like it a lot:

Ingredients

Red Wine Vinaigrette:

1 bunch fresh basil, stemmed and leaves chopped (about 2 cups)

1/3 cup red wine vinegar

2 cloves of garlic

1 shallot, chopped

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or any mustard you prefer)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Antipasto Salad:

1 pound fusilli pasta

1/2 cup hard salami, cut into cubes (about 3 ounces)

1/2 cup ham, cut into cubes (about 3 ounces)

1/4 cup provolone cheese, cut into cubes

1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese

2 tablespoons green olives, halved and pitted

2 tablespoons roasted red peppers, cut into strips

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Vinaigrette: In a blender, add the basil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Blend until the herbs are finely chopped. With the machine running, drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing is smooth.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.

In a large bowl, toss together the cooked pasta with the remaining salad ingredients. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Serve.

:goodposting:

Any good meatloaf recipes???

Kobe Beef Meatloaf with Blackstrap Gravy

Ok...you asked for it. I had to dig through a couple of cooking notebooks to find this one as it has been about a year since I made it. The original recipe came from some TV show (and I think a restaurant in the NW)...I'm not sure where...what I have left is from my personal notes which included the changes to the original recipe. This is NOT a meatloaf you serve to your kids. This is a meatloaf you serve to your friends on a cold winter's night. Most important is the quality of ingredients. If you're going to skimp on any of them make another meatloaf. So before I get to the recipe, let's talk about the ingredients.

1) Ground Beef. I use American Kobe (Wagyu). I'm not sure on it's availability elsewhere, but most Wagyu is grown in Idaho, and my local hippy grocery store carries Snake River Farms Kobe for less than $5.00 lb. If you can't find Kobe then at a minimal use GRASSFED organic beef. Some butcher shops may carry USDA Prime Ground Beef. You want to use the highest quality beef you can find! The quality of meat will determine the quality of this dish.

2) Smoked Bacon. Again you are looking for gourmet quality bacon. I use Fathers Country Bacon (get it by mailorder 1x per year)

http://www.fatherscountryhams.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CBS

Now sure Father's bacon is 2x more expensive than the cheap regular bacon you can find in any grocery store. Is it 2x better? Honestly the answer is no. It's 5x better. You're an FBG'er...you should KNOW what quality bacon means...use it.

3) Veal Stock. You're not going to be making this on your own...and a typical grocery store won't carry it. Many smaller/organic stores do...it's often frozen (and expensive)...you'll need it.

4) Bread Crumbs. Chaos Commish talks about home-made bread crumbs vs. store bought in his crab cake recipe. Follow his advice here. Don't use the store bought bread crumbs...again follow his advice and make your own.

5) Ketchup. I'm guessing every meatloaf recipe calls for ketchup. Use organic. I learned about the taste difference in organic ketchup vs HFCS ketchup here and switched a year or so ago. You should do the same...not as critical as the 1-4 aspects...but what the heck...if you are making kobe beef meatloaf...you can use organic ketchup.

Ok now the recipe...

Ingredients:

8 slices Father's smoked bacon

2 lbs.ground Kobe Beef

2 Tbs. Organic ketchup

1/4-cup mayonnaise

2 Tbs. shallots, minced

1/4-cup fresh bread crumbs

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. hot sauce

1 cup meatloaf glaze (recipe follows)

Directions:

1. Fill a large saucepan with water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add bacon to boiling water and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove blanched bacon from water and set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 375F.

3. In a large bowl, mix ground beef with ketchup, mayonnaise, minced shallots, fresh bread crumbs, salt and Tabasco.

4. Divide meatloaf mixture into four equal portions and shape each one into a football shape. Wrap each individual meatloaf with two slices of blanched bacon and place it seam-side down on a baking sheet.

5. Bake meatloaves for about 20 minutes. Liberally coat loaves with meatloaf glaze and bake 10 minutes more.

Glaze and Blackstrap Gravy

Ingredients:

3/4-cup ORGANIC ketchup

1/4-cup dijon mustard

1/4-cup brown sugar

1/4-cup molasses

2 tsp. whole yellow mustard seed

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp. hot sauce

1 cup veal stock

2 Tbs. additional molasses

Whisk together all ingredients except stock and additional molasses to make the glaze.

To make the blackstrap gravy, combine 1/2-cup glaze with stock and additional molasses and heat gently in a small saucepan.

Serve with mashed potatoes, green beans and rustic dinner rolls.

For a potluck at work today, I made Italian beef from this recipe in Saveur magazine. Slicing it last night, I was pleased with its dark, rosy center and truly beefy flavor; however, I screwed up and heated it for too long on high in the slow-cooker this morning. :shrug:

1 tsp. red wine vinegar

3 pickled peppers, preferably sport, stemmed and

thinly sliced

3 ribs celery, thinly sliced

1 small jalapeño, stemmed and thinly sliced (optional)

1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 tsp. dried basil

2 tsp. dried oregano

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 trimmed beef sirloin tip roast (about 2 1⁄2 lbs.)

6 Italian rolls, split and warmed

1. Stir together the vinegar, peppers, celery, jalapeños, half the pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl to make a relish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

2. Heat oven to 425°. Combine remaining pepper flakes, basil, oregano, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Place roast in a roasting pan; rub with half the spice mixture. Roast for 20 minutes; reduce heat to 350° and roast for 20 minutes more. Combine remaining spice mixture with 1 quart water; add to roasting pan. Continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 130°, 20–30 minutes. Transfer roast to cutting board; let cool slightly. Skim fat from broth.

3. Cut beef into thin slices. Reheat broth and beef together. Pile beef (with some of the broth) onto rolls, top with relish, and serve. For a "wet" version of the dish, dip the entire sandwich into broth before serving.

Simple one that my kids (ages 5 and 21 months) love.

Cut up some chicken breasts into large chicken nugget sized pieces.

Prepare an egg wash.

In a zip lock storage big (gallon size) or large tupperware type container...crush up about 3/4 of a bag of lays potato chips. The Cheddar and Sour Cream are the family favorites. Don't crush them to complete powder...but some good size crumbs and flakes of chips work well.

Dip the chicken pieces in the egg wash, then into the bag/container of chips to coat. Bake at 350* for about 25-30 minutes and enjoy.

Also works well to use a food processor on the cheddar sunchips...gets a nice crisp crust.

All recipes posted to this point have finally been posted. Cannot wait to make that turkey soup.

:thumbup:

Thanks, Tipsy. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

This is what I posted in this chicken breast recipe thread 2 years ago. Nothing fancy, but a consistent winner. It's a variation on a chicken recipe that was in Southern Living probably 10 years ago - maybe even longer than that, as I grew up eating this:

Chicken Imperial:

2 cups crushed Ritz crackers (usually a little over a sleeve... throw them down on wax paper and roll a tall drinking glass if no roller)

3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 cloves pressed garlic (garlic powder substitute works perfectly well and in fact, is all I have ever used)

2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/4 fresh chopped parsley (again, dried is fine)

1 lb. butter*

8 chicken breasts**

Combine first 6 ingredients. Melt butter and soak each breast in it for 3 minutes. Roll and press dried mixture on each piece. Put in shallow baking dish (I usually roll the breasts as best I can to make all 8 fit in a 2 quart Pyrex - just kind of tucking the ends under). Pour remaining butter over, and bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 325.

* One lb. of butter is daunting, but you really only need enough melted to be able to soak the chicken. Pouring the remainder over the breasts in the pan is a bonus.

** Since originally posting this, I've started cutting the breasts into strips (3-4 lengthwise cuts per breast) and then soaking, coating and positioning them in the pan per the instructions above.

Another cookie recipe. Made these for employees this christmas. Very easy to make and incredible tasting. They got the most raves.

Root Beer Cookies

1 cup brown sugar (packed)

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 egg

1/4 cup buttermilk

1 tsp. root beer extract

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

Mix sugar, butter and egg in bowl until fluffy. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonful 2 in. apart onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until almost no impression remains when a cookie is lightly touched. Immediately cool on rack. Frost with Root Beer Glaze.

ROOT BEER GLAZE:

2 cups confectioners' sugar

1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 1/2 tsp. root beer extract

2 tbsp. hot water

Mix sugar and butter. Stir in extract and water. Frost cookies.

This is the recipe I use for my lasagna. The sauce is always flexible to change. I like a sweet-basil-garlic flavor, but some like a more peppery flavor. Feel free to change the spices to your liking.

The key is to balance the salt and sugar. If it gets to sweet, add a little more salt and vice-versa.

Adding finely chopped pepperoni to the sauce added a whole new flavor dimension as well as the smoked guoda to the ricotta mix.

David's Lasagna- Classic Italian Style

INGREDIENTS

1 pound sweet Italian sausage

1.25 pounds lean ground beef

1/2 cup minced onion

2 tsp garlic, crushed

1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes

2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste

2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce

6 ounces pepperoni, finely chopped

2 tablespoons white sugar

2 teaspoons dried basil leaves

1 teaspoon oregano

2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1 tablespoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

16 lasagna noodles

16 ounces ricotta cheese

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 pound provolone cheese, sliced

3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1/4 cup smoked Gouda cheese, shredded or grated

1 cup shredded mozzarella/cheddar blend

DIRECTIONS

In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and pepperoni. Season with sugar, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, parmesan and gouda cheeses.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Glaze and Blackstrap GravyIngredients:3/4-cup ORGANIC ketchup1/4-cup dijon mustard1/4-cup brown sugar1/4-cup molasses2 tsp. whole yellow mustard seed1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce1/2 tsp. hot sauce1 cup veal stock2 Tbs. additional molassesWhisk together all ingredients except stock and additional molasses to make the glaze. To make the blackstrap gravy, combine 1/2-cup glaze with stock and additional molasses and heat gently in a small saucepan.Serve with mashed potatoes, green beans and rustic dinner rolls.

Hi siffion,I'm not usually a big fan of merging the super expensive food like kobe beef with comfort food (which is almost always less expensive food) but the glaze and gravy on this sound interesting.What's your take on it?Also, for the gravy, how much stock is used, 1 cup? So it's half a cup of the glaze and 1 cup of stock? Thanks.J

I've been trying various cinnamon roll recipes lately. Our kids are coming over early Christmas morning and i figure cinnamon rolls and coffee will be nice. This is the best version i've found. I only tweaked it slightly from its original version. I'm no baker by any means but this was easy to do and tastes GREAT!!! Not to mention it makes the house smell great!!

I think adding some pecans would be awesome.

1-1/2 packages dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water (NOT HOT)

1/2 cup shortening (Crisco)

1/3 cup sugar

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 egg

4 to 5 cups sifted flour

melted butter (Margarine is not nearly as good)

brown sugar (I prefer dark)

cinnamon

Vanilla Frosting

2 cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoon butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla

milk (2 to 4 tablespoons)

Add the warm water to the yeast and soak 10 minutes. Scald milk; pour over the shortening. Add sugar and salt and cool to tepid.

Add the dissolved yeast and beaten egg. Add 4 cups flour adding one at a time beating after each addition.

Dough should be soft yet firm enough to handle. Knead on floured board until elastic and smooth. Avoid too much flour. Turn dough into well oiled bowl. Let rise for 1-1/2 hours.

Press dough down and divide into workable size. Roll dough out into a rectangle. Cover with melted butter. Layer with a generous thick layer of brown sugar. Sprinkle on cinnamon as desired. Roll up jellyroll fashion.

Cut off slices about 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick. Place slices in an 8 or 9 inch round greased cake pan. Place one slice in the middle and other slices around it. Press rolls down to even out and fill pan. Let rise until rolls fill the pan about another hour.

Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 15 - 20 minutes. If rolls get too brown, cover with a piece of tine foil until the end of baking. Do not over bake rolls.

Remove immediately from pan by inverting onto a plate and then tip over onto another plate to right the rolls.

For the Frosting:

In a medium bowl, place sugar, butter and vanilla. Then stir in enough milk to reach a thick, hardly-able to stir consistency.

Spread over warm rolls as soon as they are placed on a plate to let the frosting melt and run into the rolls.

Black Squid Ink Risotto with Grilled Prawns, Lobster and Green Onion Vinaigrette

Ingredients

Risotto:

* 3 tablespoons olive oil

* 1 large onion, finely chopped

* 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

* 2 cups arborio rice

* 1 cup dry white wine

* 6 cups shrimp stock, clam stock or vegetable stock

* 2 tablespoons squid ink

* 1/2 pound squid, cut into 1/4-inch rings

* 1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley

* Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until soft. Add the rice and mix to coat with the oil and cook for 2 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the wine and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Place the stock and the squid ink in a large saucepan over high heat and stir to combine. Begin adding the hot squid stock 1 1/2 cups at a time and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Continue until the stock is gone and the rice is al dente. Add the squid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.

GRILLED PAWNS:

* 8 prawns, shelled, deveined, head on

* Olive oil

* Salt and pepper

Preheat grill or grill pan. Toss prawns in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until just cooked through.

Green Onion Vinaigrette:

* 8 scallions

* 1/2 large white onion, cut into chunks

* 3 garlic cloves

* 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar

* 1 cup pure olive oil

* 1 teaspoon honey

* Salt and freshly ground pepper

* 1 pound lobster, steamed, meat removed and coarsely chopped

Blanch the scallions for 30 seconds in a large pot of boiling salted water over high heat. Drain and shock in cold water. Combine the scallions, onion, garlic, and vinegar in a blender and process until pureed. With the motor running, slowly add the oil until emulsified. Add the honey, season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a squeeze bottle.

Assemble: Spoon the risotto into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with 2 prawns and drizzle with the green onion vinaigrette and some of the chopped lobster.

I love this Bobby Flay meatloaf that I saw him make on throwdown. You can mix it up some, but using the different meats makes it awesome.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-f...cipe/index.html

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 large zucchini, finely diced

1 red bell pepper, finely diced

1 yellow pepper, finely diced

5 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with coarse salt

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish

1/2 pound ground pork

1/2 pound ground veal

1 pound ground beef chuck

1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs

1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan

1 cup ketchup, divided

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, peppers, garlic paste, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until almost soft, 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Whisk together the eggs and herbs in a large bowl. Add the meat, bread crumbs, cheese, 1/2 cup of the ketchup, 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar, and the cooled vegetables and mix until just combined.

Mold the meatloaf on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Whisk together the remaining ketchup, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Brush the mixture over the entire loaf. Bake the meatloaf for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing

Anyone got any good duck/ham ideas? I'm looking to do something tomorrow night for the gentiles who are in town for the holidays.

I've been trying various cinnamon roll recipes lately. Our kids are coming over early Christmas morning and i figure cinnamon rolls and coffee will be nice. This is the best version i've found. I only tweaked it slightly from its original version. I'm no baker by any means but this was easy to do and tastes GREAT!!! Not to mention it makes the house smell great!!

1-1/2 packages dry yeast

1/3 cup sugar

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 egg

4 to 5 cups sifted flour

cinnamon

Vanilla Frosting

2 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Add the warm water to the yeast and soak 10 minutes. Scald milk; pour over the shortening. Add sugar and salt and cool to tepid.

Add the dissolved yeast and beaten egg. Add 4 cups flour adding one at a time beating after each addition.

Dough should be soft yet firm enough to handle. Knead on floured board until elastic and smooth. Avoid too much flour. Turn dough into well oiled bowl. Let rise for 1-1/2 hours.

Press dough down and divide into workable size. Roll dough out into a rectangle. Cover with melted butter. Layer with a generous thick layer of brown sugar. Sprinkle on cinnamon as desired. Roll up jellyroll fashion.

Cut off slices about 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick. Place slices in an 8 or 9 inch round greased cake pan. Place one slice in the middle and other slices around it. Press rolls down to even out and fill pan. Let rise until rolls fill the pan about another hour.

Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 15 - 20 minutes. If rolls get too brown, cover with a piece of tine foil until the end of baking. Do not over bake rolls.

Remove immediately from pan by inverting onto a plate and then tip over onto another plate to right the rolls.

For the Frosting:

In a medium bowl, place sugar, butter and vanilla. Then stir in enough milk to reach a thick, hardly-able to stir consistency.

Spread over warm rolls as soon as they are placed on a plate to let the frosting melt and run into the rolls.

Zander

My mom started making these every Christmas morning since they won the Pillsbury bake off in '69. I guarantee that your family will go nuts over these - awesome how the marshmallow melts and makes for a sugary- cinnamony goo in the middle - magical.

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/showrecipe.aspx?rid=11507

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Skewers (These are :fishing:)

Ingredients

2 lbs chicken cut into fingers (boneless and skinless).

1 package bacon (whatever kind you like).

Vinaigrette (I used italian dressing as the marinade, but you can use anything really).

Skewers (I use metal, but you can use wood, but just make sure to soak them well prior to using them).

Honey mustard (for dipping).

Directions:

Marinade the chicken (I go about 4 hours)

Put chicken on skewers and wrap with bacon.

I do mine on the grill, but you can do them on the stove with a grill pan or even bake them.

Serve with honey mustard

I just made a batch of Olive Garden's Zuppo Tuscana soup I found a recipe for. (Yes I know, everyone hates Olive Garden) This stuff is fantastic:

3 large russet potatoes peeled and diced

1 medium onion finely chopped

2 cloves of crushed garlic

4 cups of kale (make sure you get the ribs out, I ripped it up by hand)

1 lb of Italian sausage

1/2 bag of Oscar Meyer "real" bacon bits

1 cup of heavy cream

3 & 2/3 cups of chicken broth

4 cups of water

1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes

Brown up Italian sausage with the red pepper flakes then drain.

In a large stock pot, put the water, chicken broth, garlic, onion and potatoes. Simmer at medium heat.

Once the potatoes are are soft, use a masher to bust em up. If you like your soup thicker, don't mash em too much. Add Italian sausage and the bacon. Simmer on medium for at least 10 minutes.

After 10-15 minutes add the kale and the cup of heavy cream. Stir vigorously.

Season to taste with S&P on low-medium heat for a good half hour.

Serve with your very own garlic breadsticks.

This is the first time I've tried it, and let me tell you it is DELICIOUS and filling.

1-1/2 packages dry yeast

1/3 cup sugar

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 egg

4 to 5 cups sifted flour

cinnamon

Vanilla Frosting

2 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

For the Frosting:

Zander

My mom started making these every Christmas morning since they won the Pillsbury bake off in '69. I guarantee that your family will go nuts over these - awesome how the marshmallow melts and makes for a sugary- cinnamony goo in the middle - magical.

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/showrecipe.aspx?rid=11507

Missed this for christmas but looks great for this weekend!! Thanks

We are using this icing for our jalapeno popcorn right now - we make it with jalapeno coconut oil I make and then sprinkle cinnamon powder and drizzle the icing over it and mix - sweet, salty, spicy - freakin' awesome.

Anyone got any good duck/ham ideas? I'm looking to do something tomorrow night for the gentiles who are in town for the holidays.

Place spiral ham on a roasting rack with pan.Rub down ham heavily with brown sugar.Put 3/4 of a 2 liter of Coke Classic in the pan.Place in oven at 350, basting with the coke/sugar mixture every 15 mins. 15 minutes per pound.If you want to fancy it up, you can toothpick cherries and pineapple rings all over it with some cloves.Simple and effective.

Great thread! I've worked quite a bit in the restaurant business on should be able to add some of my own recipes as I think of them. The places I have worked at the longest are Italian, Turkish, Scandinavian Restaurants and a bunch of Pizza joint, so it could be a nice mix, especially of recipes different from what I am seeing in here so far.

I just made one of my old recipes for New Years dinner for the family:

Charvik's Advent Stew:

(This is not from any of the places I have worked, but created a late night in the middle of the winter with stuff I had at home at the time after consuming copious amounts of various liquors... We were drunk, hungry, cold and needed something quick and dirty.)

Curry (dried)

Butter

Smoked Boneless Pork Chops

Leek

Red, Yellow and Green Paprika

Creme Fraiche

Chicken Stock

Brown Rice

1. Pop 2 knobs of butter in a big pot, add 2 tbsp of the Curry powder (I prefer red Curry), brown the butter with the Curry.

2. Dice the Pork Chops in 1/6 inch pieces, pop them in the pot, and let them just get a little color.

3. Slice up a leek, fine slices, should make about a cup and a half of leek, drop it in the pot

4. Clean and Cube the 3 Paprikas, drop them in the pot, maybe 2-3 cups in total.

5. Add about 1/2 cup of Chicken stock

6. Simmer (until Paprika has good consistency, should be when the skin is still attached to the meat, but the meat is almost falling off)

7. While simmering, prepare your rice

8. When rice is ready, add a cup to a cup and a half of Creme Fraiche to the stew. You want the stew creamy, not runny, so depending on the amount of fluids from the Paprika you may have to experiment.

9. Salt and Pepper to taste

Works excellent with any Tempranillo mix. I like Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva, with it. Others have liked it with a young Sangiovese.

ETA: The reason for the name was that it was the 4th of Advent the night it was done the first time.

"Pizza salad" - Turkish/Greek style:

One head of Green Cabbage

3-4 Tblsp Knorr Aromat All Purpose Seasoning

1 Tblsp Black Pepper (course ground)

a couple of pinches of salt, to taste

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

a good red wine vinegar, about half to 3/4 cup

Slice the cabbage thinly, I quarter it and then slice using a knife. Add all the seasoning, and work it into the cabbage using your hands. Let stand for at least 1 hour in the fridge before serving. For extra taste/eye-candy add some pickled red paprika slices when you serve it.

It's supposed to taste "vinegary"... it's served with Pizza as a contrast/appetizer in a lot of Greek/Turkish Pizzerias all over Europe.

Classic Mushroom Soup:

4 or 5 fistfuls/cups of your favorite mushrooms... I use whatever is available in the store, but really like Chantrelles added to it. Pop them in a BIG frying pan with 2 knobs of butter, be prepared to add more butter as the mushrooms absorb it. You want the mushrooms nice and brown. Add a little salt and fine ground white pepper as you fry it.

1 sliced leek. You want it finely sliced. Pop it in and just let it become slightly see-through.

Pull some parsley off the stalks, (maybe 4 tblsp?), pop in with the rest.

1/2 cup of chicken stock, let simmer for a while. You want the fluid to reduce to about half.

Add either Heavy Cream, or preferably Creme Fraiche to finish it off. You want it slightly runny and not too thick. I've used a combo of Cream and Creme Fraiche with quite some success.

Serve with a couple of pieces of mushrooms and a little fresh parsley sprinkled on top.

Should also be served with bread, like a French Baguette.

ETA: This should be served with a Porter or Stout.

Insomnia and a newborn will keep you awake... :unsure:

Forrest Toast:

4 Large slices of Sourdough bread, 1/4 inch thick (any white fresh bread would work)

Gruyere cheese (any flavorful cheese could work in a pinch)

Mushrooms (the canned sliced ones works, but I like the mixed mushrooms in glass jars)

Cayenne pepper

Butter

Parsley

Black pepper

1. Drain off the water from the mushroom jar/can and save it (important)

2. Fry up the mushrooms with butter

3. Add a half to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, depending on what heat level you want

4. Pour the saved mushroom water back into pan

5. Thicken the mushroom/water mix using regular flour or potato flour, it should be creamy

6. Put mushroom paste on bread slices

7. Grate your cheese over the mushrooms

8. Toast in the oven until cheese is slightly brown and melted

9. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a little black pepper

Best served with Lingonberry or Elderberry juice.

Creamy Pancetta with Basil (2-3 people)

1 yellow onion

2 cloves of garlic

1 cup of fresh chopped basil

10-12 slices of Pancetta

1/2 cup Heavy Cream

Tortellini (with cheese in)

1. Slice the Pancetta in smaller pieces(, finger width?), lightly brown and take out of pan, leave the grease

2. Finely chop onion and garlic

3. Blanche the onion and the garlic in Olive Oil and the Pancetta grease, add 75% of the basil

4. Add Pencetta back in the pan

5. Add Cream

6. Let simmer

S&P to taste, but be careful with the salt as Pancetta can be very salty and you don't want to over do it.

7. Boil your fresh Tortellini

8. Pour Sauce over pasta, garnish with basil, and serve with white bread, like a baguette or even a sourdough.

Chianti Classico with this dish, of course.

I think that's enough for me for tonight...

Falafel

1 can chickpeas

1 onion

1/2 cup parsley

2 cloves garlic

1 egg

2 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. ground coriander

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. baking powder

pinch pepper and cayenne pepper

1 tbl. olive oil

+/- 1 cup dry bread crumbs

oil

Cucumber Sauce

~ 6 ounces plain yogurt

1/2 cucumber - peeled, seeded, chopped

1 tsp. dried dill weed

1 tbl. mayonnaise

salt and pepper

Tomatoes, Lettuce and pitas for serving.

In a small bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Chill for at least 30 minutes. I actually leave out the mayo, but this is how I got the recipe.

Drain and mash chickpeas. The right consistency is reached when no more whole peas remain, but the mash isn't completely pulverized.

Blend onion, parsley and garlic until smooth. Stir into mashed chickpeas.

Separately wisk egg through peppers together. Stir into chickpea mixture along with olive oil. Slowly add bread crumbs until mixture is not sticky but will hold together.

Form 8 - 10 balls and then flatten into patties. Form all your patties before you fry your first batch or it'll suck trying to do both at once.

Heat oil (enough to submerge the patty) in a large pan (I use a dutch oven, reduces splatter. Could try a large deep pot; I've never used that though) over medium-high heat. Fry a batch until brown on both sides. Takes ~5 minutes per batch. Flip once a little more than half way through.

Let cool, assemble, and add sauce.

I quadrupled this recipe, and it produced ~30 patties. I got it off the internet somewhere. It was sean's falafel or something.

Insomnia and a newborn will keep you awake... :lmao: Forrest Toast:4 Large slices of Sourdough bread, 1/4 inch thick (any white fresh bread would work)Gruyere cheese (any flavorful cheese could work in a pinch)Mushrooms (the canned sliced ones works, but I like the mixed mushrooms in glass jars)Cayenne pepperButterParsleyBlack pepper1. Drain off the water from the mushroom jar/can and save it (important)2. Fry up the mushrooms with butter3. Add a half to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, depending on what heat level you want 4. Pour the saved mushroom water back into pan 5. Thicken the mushroom/water mix using regular flour or potato flour, it should be creamy6. Put mushroom paste on bread slices7. Grate your cheese over the mushrooms8. Toast in the oven until cheese is slightly brown and melted9. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a little black pepperBest served with Lingonberry or Elderberry juice.

This one is definitely going into my 'must try' file!!Keep 'em coming!!

Insomnia and a newborn will keep you awake... :thumbup: Forrest Toast:4 Large slices of Sourdough bread, 1/4 inch thick (any white fresh bread would work)Gruyere cheese (any flavorful cheese could work in a pinch)Mushrooms (the canned sliced ones works, but I like the mixed mushrooms in glass jars)Cayenne pepperButterParsleyBlack pepper1. Drain off the water from the mushroom jar/can and save it (important)2. Fry up the mushrooms with butter3. Add a half to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, depending on what heat level you want 4. Pour the saved mushroom water back into pan 5. Thicken the mushroom/water mix using regular flour or potato flour, it should be creamy6. Put mushroom paste on bread slices7. Grate your cheese over the mushrooms8. Toast in the oven until cheese is slightly brown and melted9. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a little black pepperBest served with Lingonberry or Elderberry juice.

I dunno, this one sounds a bit bizarre and even flawed. Cayenne, parsley and mushroom? Not even fresh mushrooms? I think I have to pass, and I love mushrooms. Well, fresh ones, the canned and bottled lose too much in processing, imo. Then the paste gets spread on thin sliced bread. Sounds like a mushy problem before the toasting process. Shouldn't the bread be coated with oil or butter or toasted in advance, something to prevent the soggy issue?eta Zander, I'm doing those cinnamon rolls in the morning. I think I'll cut the recipe in half. There's only three of us here, but it sounds like fun and I love working with yeast.

Insomnia and a newborn will keep you awake... :lmao: Forrest Toast:4 Large slices of Sourdough bread, 1/4 inch thick (any white fresh bread would work)Gruyere cheese (any flavorful cheese could work in a pinch)Mushrooms (the canned sliced ones works, but I like the mixed mushrooms in glass jars)Cayenne pepperButterParsleyBlack pepper1. Drain off the water from the mushroom jar/can and save it (important)2. Fry up the mushrooms with butter3. Add a half to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, depending on what heat level you want 4. Pour the saved mushroom water back into pan 5. Thicken the mushroom/water mix using regular flour or potato flour, it should be creamy6. Put mushroom paste on bread slices7. Grate your cheese over the mushrooms8. Toast in the oven until cheese is slightly brown and melted9. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a little black pepperBest served with Lingonberry or Elderberry juice.

I dunno, this one sounds a bit bizarre and even flawed. Cayenne, parsley and mushroom? Not even fresh mushrooms? I think I have to pass, and I love mushrooms. Well, fresh ones, the canned and bottled lose too much in processing, imo. Then the paste gets spread on thin sliced bread. Sounds like a mushy problem before the toasting process. Shouldn't the bread be coated with oil or butter or toasted in advance, something to prevent the soggy issue?eta Zander, I'm doing those cinnamon rolls in the morning. I think I'll cut the recipe in half. There's only three of us here, but it sounds like fun and I love working with yeast.
I read that recipe differently. I thought (and would do) it more like bruchetta. Toasted bread first, spread mushrooms and cheese and melt.Cinn rolls are the bomb. I've been playing yeast a lot lately. Pizza dough last night and probably gonna make some home made rolls to go with sunday chili!!

Insomnia and a newborn will keep you awake... :yucky:

Forrest Toast:

4 Large slices of Sourdough bread, 1/4 inch thick (any white fresh bread would work)

Gruyere cheese (any flavorful cheese could work in a pinch)

Mushrooms (the canned sliced ones works, but I like the mixed mushrooms in glass jars)

Cayenne pepper

Butter

Parsley

Black pepper

1. Drain off the water from the mushroom jar/can and save it (important)

2. Fry up the mushrooms with butter

3. Add a half to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, depending on what heat level you want

4. Pour the saved mushroom water back into pan

5. Thicken the mushroom/water mix using regular flour or potato flour, it should be creamy

6. Put mushroom paste on bread slices

7. Grate your cheese over the mushrooms

8. Toast in the oven until cheese is slightly brown and melted

9. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a little black pepper

Best served with Lingonberry or Elderberry juice.

This one is definitely going into my 'must try' file!!

Keep 'em coming!!

I dunno, this one sounds a bit bizarre and even flawed. Cayenne, parsley and mushroom? Not even fresh mushrooms? I think I have to pass, and I love mushrooms. Well, fresh ones, the canned and bottled lose too much in processing, imo. Then the paste gets spread on thin sliced bread. Sounds like a mushy problem before the toasting process. Shouldn't the bread be coated with oil or butter or toasted in advance, something to prevent the soggy issue?

eta Zander, I'm doing those cinnamon rolls in the morning. I think I'll cut the recipe in half. There's only three of us here, but it sounds like fun and I love working with yeast.

I read that recipe differently. I thought (and would do) it more like bruchetta. Toasted bread first, spread mushrooms and cheese and melt.

Cinn rolls are the bomb. I've been playing yeast a lot lately. Pizza dough last night and probably gonna make some home made rolls to go with sunday chili!!

yup, it was late last night...

to the original poster, I agree it's normally better with fresh mushrooms, preferably chanterelles, but in that case I wouldn't use cayenne.... fresh mushrooms can stand on their own on a toast, you don't even need the cheese.

This is something cheap, quick and easy to do when coming home from drinking...

Some fantastic stuff here. I've got a white chicken chili and a creamy orzo & wild rice salad I have to dig up.

White chicken chili:1 15oz can Northern beans1 large yellow onion, chopped1 stick unsalted butter1/4c flour3/4c chicken broth2c half&half1t tabasco sauce2 4oz cans small green chopped chilis5 boneless skinless chicken breasts halved, boiled & shredded1 1/2t chili powder1t ground cumin1/2t salt1/2t white pepperSaute onion in 4t of butter until soft. In a separate heavy pan melt remaining butter & whisk in flour. Cook, whisking constantly for 3 min, without browning. Stir in cooked onion and gradually add broth and half&half. Whisking constantly, bring to a boil and simmer 5 min. Stir in tabasco, chili powder, cumin, salt & white pepper. Add beans, chilis, chicken and simmer, stirring for 20 min. Garnish with sour cream and Monterey Jack cheese.
Making this tonight. Looking forward to it.

Hey guys....I'm looking for as many recipes as I can get for cube steak. Butchered a cow about a year ago, and have a ton of this stuff left over, and I have no idea what to do with it. Anybody have recipes for this cut of meat?