What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (10 Viewers)

So as I mentioned I going to jump back into Witcher. I originally tried just jumping in. I mean I have finished a lot of RPGs with swords. Got frustrated having issues with the fighting, traps, you name it. Stupid game. No stupid me. I have now spent some time really looking into the mechanics and how things work. It's actually kind of a steep curve at first. Reminds me a bit of Force Unleashed with meshing powers and dueling. I really did this game an injustice first time out. I can see this being very cool once you get your basics down. Very excited to give this a serious second shot.
It definitely takes practice but once you get down...watch out bad guys.

So as I mentioned I going to jump back into Witcher. I originally tried just jumping in. I mean I have finished a lot of RPGs with swords. Got frustrated having issues with the fighting, traps, you name it. Stupid game. No stupid me. I have now spent some time really looking into the mechanics and how things work. It's actually kind of a steep curve at first. Reminds me a bit of Force Unleashed with meshing powers and dueling. I really did this game an injustice first time out. I can see this being very cool once you get your basics down. Very excited to give this a serious second shot.
It definitely takes practice but once you get down...watch out bad guys.
Only an hour or so in and prepping potions using powers feeling a little more natural. Traps hate me and apparently I failed a side quest I didn't know was timed.

Finished Bloodborne. Again, really a great game. I took my time with this one, went everywhere, read all the item descriptions, and pieced together all the lore I could. I think I understand the story of this one, but I need to do a little reading to see how other people interpreted this.

NG+ is no joke. I'm running a +10 weapon (maxed out) with good stats and it's still taking me 2-3 hits to kill the villagers at the beginning. I thought I would murder Cleric Beast, and while I did kill him on my first attempt with no serious issues, it took me longer to whittle him down than I would have imagined. No idea how I'm going to get past some of the later areas since leveling up doesn't help much anymore. I've also started to struggle in some of the Chalice Dungeons.

One other thing I'll add: this game probably isn't going to offer the same replay value that Demon's and Dark Souls did. There's no magic, so you can't do a "magic" build. And you get some of more exotic weapons so late in the game that it's not really feasible to build around those either unless you're willing for the early game to be super-hard. Bloodborne really pushes you into a strength or a strength/dex build without giving you many viable alternatives, so your choices sort of come down to the Kirkhammer or Ludwig's sword. The scythe that you get after beating the last* boss is cool and all, but I'd have to respec my character to make it a viable weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started FF6. Its pretty fun so far.
It was a short lived experience. Something happened and my saved game file got copied over by very early save. I was too far in to go back to the beginning and basically start over. I forget about some of these issues that used to happen. It's extremely disappointing.
what platform? That's a bummer - FF6 is a great game.
How far can you really get in FF6 in one day?

randall146 said:
I need some game selection (PS3) advice please:

Every April vacation my family and 3 others rent a big house in the Outer Banks. The dads usually get 2-3 nights of good PS3 time after the kids go to bed. In past years the most fun has been had playing Tomb Raider and the Uncharted series. We like games with a good story, some puzzle, some killing, where we can take turns playing and doing the campaign together. So I think sandbox games are out since there's no clear single goal. Some of the guys don't even play, they just watch, so nice scenery (whether it's cliffs and waterfalls, or Lara Croft in tight clothes) is a nice bonus. Also (because I'm sad and old), nothing too dark, like Arkham Asylum - my ancient 43 year old eyes just can't see anything in those games.

Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be the latest or greatest. Would the Assassin's Creed games fit the bill?
Slightly off-beat suggestions: Portal 2. No killing and no good scenery, but it's a puzzle game that even appeals to people who don't play video games. It would also be fun for spectators to watch and offer suggestions for how to solve each area. Google it if you're not familiar with the Portal franchise.

randall146 said:

Every April vacation my family and 3 others rent a big house in the Outer Banks. The dads usually get 2-3 nights of good PS3 time after the kids go to bed. In past years the most fun has been had playing Tomb Raider and the Uncharted series. We like games with a good story, some puzzle, some killing, where we can take turns playing and doing the campaign together. So I think sandbox games are out since there's no clear single goal. Some of the guys don't even play, they just watch, so nice scenery (whether it's cliffs and waterfalls, or Lara Croft in tight clothes) is a nice bonus. Also (because I'm sad and old), nothing too dark, like Arkham Asylum - my ancient 43 year old eyes just can't see anything in those games.

Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be the latest or greatest. Would the Assassin's Creed games fit the bill?
Slightly off-beat suggestions: Portal 2. No killing and no good scenery, but it's a puzzle game that even appeals to people who don't play video games. It would also be fun for spectators to watch and offer suggestions for how to solve each area. Google it if you're not familiar with the Portal franchise.
great ####### suggestion

randall146 said:

great ####### suggestion
:goodposting: it also has 2 person couch co-op doesn't it?

randall146 said:

great ####### suggestion
Yes. Also, the PS3 version is one of the only games that's cross-platform. PS3 can co-op with a Steam user on PC.

randall146 said:

great ####### suggestion
Yes. Also, the PS3 version is one of the only games that's cross-platform. PS3 can co-op with a Steam user on PC.
Get the Orange Box and get the classic Portal and HL2 as well. You can't do Portal 2 without doing the first. It's only a few hrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
randall146 said:

1) Last of Us

2) BioShock Infinite

3) Mass Effect 3

4) infamous - I'm not sure what the newest one on PS3 is.

5) AC: Blackflag

captain_amazing said:
Borden said:
Just started FF6. Its pretty fun so far.
It was a short lived experience. Something happened and my saved game file got copied over by very early save. I was too far in to go back to the beginning and basically start over. I forget about some of these issues that used to happen. It's extremely disappointing.
what platform? That's a bummer - FF6 is a great game.
On my phone. :bag:

I was fighting the ghost train boss and got sent back to when you first meet Locke. I will probably just start again.

NCCommish said:
Missed you're earlier request but I really liked Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning and you should be able to get it pretty cheap. I think I put in 150 hours into it.

Just finished Talos Principle. I really liked it. I do see the similarities to Portal, but don't go in expecting the humor that Portal has. It's not there. It tells a completely different and more serious story. But the puzzles are much more challenging and engaging. I was pleased that I was able to complete nearly every puzzle on my own without help and only needed to look up where a few of the stars were. I'll go back and play the prototype levels at another time.

shadyridr said:
randall146 said:

AC are sandbox games
Hmm, I wouldn't have classified AC as sandbox, though it's hard to nail down that genre. I think he is talking more about minecraft or MMOs. AC has a linear aspect that I think his friends could enjoy.

Regardless, I'd go Last of Us as well. For old school fun Red Dead Redemption is a blast.

I had Red Dead on my list too but it's a sand box game for sure. It's easy to waste a couple hours hunting randomly.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have Red Dead and it would be perfect except for the sandbox aspect. I'm not sure what the lingo means but by sandbox I mean having your choice of missions at any given time, or just exploring with no mission at all. Red Dead, GTA, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have Red Dead and it would be perfect except for the sandbox aspect. I'm not sure what the lingo means but by sandbox I mean having your choice of missions at any given time, or just exploring with no mission at all. Red Dead, GTA, etc.
exactly. AC is sandbox

Just finished Talos Principle. I really liked it. I do see the similarities to Portal, but don't go in expecting the humor that Portal has. It's not there. It tells a completely different and more serious story. But the puzzles are much more challenging and engaging. I was pleased that I was able to complete nearly every puzzle on my own without help and only needed to look up where a few of the stars were. I'll go back and play the prototype levels at another time.
:thumbup:

I didn't get all the stars the first go around. I will go back at some point. Some of them stumped me.

Great game.

I played AC: Blag Flag right up until my future self got the job in the french guy's computer company. Wanted to throw the remote at the TV. Not liking that part at all.

Midnight Club: Los Angeles: Solid game so far. I'm either getting old or..... no I'm getting old. I can't see the checkpoints in the races fast enough to turn when I am supposed to turn. I can handle the cars and deal with that that but when the checkpoint isn't literally right in front me I get lost very easily. Solid soundtrack though.

NCCommish said:
Missed you're earlier request but I really liked Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning and you should be able to get it pretty cheap. I think I put in 150 hours into it.
I do have that game and have played a bit. Kind of meh on it right now but do need to give it another go at some point.

:thumbup:

I didn't get all the stars the first go around. I will go back at some point. Some of them stumped me.

Great game.
I got all the stars, but since I went to the top of the tower, I didn't really use them, since that goes for a different ending apparently.

Just trying out the Nexus 7 a buddy gave me when he upgraded. It is the wireless only 2012 model. But it seems to perform well and is much easier for this kind of stuff than my phone. Getting to where I hardly use my laptop at all. On the gaming side first boss frustrating me. I know what to do just having trouble getting it done.

GTA 5 unlocks for PC in one hour.

Final Checklist

Game preloaded.
Drivers updated.
Custom radio station folder created and filled.
Whiskey, soda, and snacks nearby.

Piss bottle in place

Wife informed that I'm dead to the world after 6PM

Am I forgetting anything?

Final Checklist

Game preloaded.

Drivers updated.

Piss bottle in place

Requesting occasional updates por favor.

I do have that game and have played a bit. Kind of meh on it right now but do need to give it another go at some point.
It's an interesting game to me. It looks very cool, particularly the chakram (sp?) combat, and I really like the leveling trees but the story falls flat and doesn't really inspire you to move forward. It's not terrible in that regard just has a kind of been-there-done-that aspect to it and it never really gives you a solid twist. Still it is a fun game and can be challenging enough. It's worth a main story run-through but it's not really something for the hard-core completionists.

I am surprised that it didn't make money and a little disappointed that the company who made it went bankrupt, I think there was enough of a foundation that they could have turned it into a nice series (kind of like the original Witcher).

Just trying out the Nexus 7 a buddy gave me when he upgraded. It is the wireless only 2012 model. But it seems to perform well and is much easier for this kind of stuff than my phone. Getting to where I hardly use my laptop at all. On the gaming side first boss frustrating me. I know what to do just having trouble getting it done.
The Kayran? Yeah that's the fight where you realize how much you need to get your timing down in combat. FWIW it's pretty easy to just stay alive in the first part of the combat by just dodging, the Kayran is pretty clumsy and telegraphs all his attacks. Just diving left and right can keep you alive until you get lucky enough to get your sign down, in the right time and place, and chop the tentacles.

On a second play-through, after you master combat, you will mow him down like a gigantic all you can eat calamari buffet.

It's an interesting game to me. It looks very cool, particularly the chakram (sp?) combat, and I really like the leveling trees but the story falls flat and doesn't really inspire you to move forward. It's not terrible in that regard just has a kind of been-there-done-that aspect to it and it never really gives you a solid twist. Still it is a fun game and can be challenging enough. It's worth a main story run-through but it's not really something for the hard-core completionists.I am surprised that it didn't make money and a little disappointed that the company who made it went bankrupt, I think there was enough of a foundation that they could have turned it into a nice series (kind of like the original Witcher).
Yeah it is kind of derivative.

Final Checklist

Game preloaded.

Drivers updated.

Piss bottle in place

Requesting occasional updates por favor.
The single player game looks and plays amazing on PC. So smooth. The extra FPS makes a noticeable difference. If you're able to meet the recommended system specs, it's easily the best version of the game, period.

I wasnt able to get into multiplayer at all, however because it kept crashing. That doesn't seem to be a common problem though.

Uncharted... is interesting.
The first one is a bit frustrating. The mechanics aren't great. Put it on easy and get through it.Uncharted 2 is all sorts of awesome.
And I'll say it again, it truly is all sorts of awesome but be sure to say hi to "them" for me when you see them. You'll know.
We will?
:goodposting: :confused:
If you've played it then you know the things that throw the things. That was a huge PITA.

The Kayran? Yeah that's the fight where you realize how much you need to get your timing down in combat. FWIW it's pretty easy to just stay alive in the first part of the combat by just dodging, the Kayran is pretty clumsy and telegraphs all his attacks. Just diving left and right can keep you alive until you get lucky enough to get your sign down, in the right time and place, and chop the tentacles.On a second play-through, after you master combat, you will mow him down like a gigantic all you can eat calamari buffet.
I decided to back up and do some more side stuff so I could work on my skills a bit.

Uncharted... is interesting.
The first one is a bit frustrating. The mechanics aren't great. Put it on easy and get through it.Uncharted 2 is all sorts of awesome.
And I'll say it again, it truly is all sorts of awesome but be sure to say hi to "them" for me when you see them. You'll know.
We will?
:goodposting: :confused:
If you've played it then you know the things that throw the things. That was a huge PITA.
Hammer Bros?

I despised Uncharted 1 until pretty late into the game. #2 is much more fun and something I might even replay at some point.

I will say I think the games are a bit overrated though. The second is substantially better, but it's still not something that lived up to the hype for me. The Last of Us on the other hand, deserves every accolade and more.

Ok, the shooting mechanics in Uncharted are awful. I would use a curse word that I feel is warranted even in polite society but I will not. I've found the crashed plane, cleared that area out, found the map again and am now on my way to find the chick that jumped out of the plane before me. And of course I'm getting ambushed in evey new area of the walk there. That's not a problem. But really, the shooting mechanics just bite. The angle over the shoulder, either shoulder, bites. The targeting system is just a little too hard for my getting older by the moment eyes and not for nothing but this is a video game - why the heck does it take 3 shots to down a regular bad guy? I could see a mid level bad guy, but all of them? Really?

And what was the point of the german sub? Why do I have to walk down several nothing is happening corridors of that ship to get where I was going? It's like they went for realism and missed common sense. At least have something to do in each room like a puzzle or something to get into the next room.

Eh, maybe I was just in a bad mood last night because of the Yankees. I do enjoy the Indiana Jones feel of the character and the story. I like that kind of stuff anyway. So I'm not throwing anything yet. Just not getting the feel for it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread