What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (13 Viewers)

I went into settings after I was in RTTS and was able to change it. I can now just hit a button and my guy will throw to corresponding base. 

Game is much more fun now. I am not sure I understand how to start a relationship. Does it just happen or do I need to do something? Right now I am just playing games and following the prompts.
I'm not real sure about relationships, but I believe it's easiest to build them as a 2b or SS.  I think the training things with your 2B and 1B and #1 SP will help the relationship stuff.  Not really sure.  There's some youtube videos about RTTS tips that should help.  

I haven't even started RTTS yet this year, I'm still playing Diamond Dynasty.

They released a very short clip of next-gen Madden and it's indistinguishable from any of the last three Madden titles :lol:

Not a surprise at all but they're just sticking with this broken architecture they've been building on top of for a decade. 

Again, no one should be surprised by this.

But it's made WORSE by the fact that Microsoft is now pushing this "all our games can be played on next gen AND this gen interchangeably!" crap. That's going to severely limit a lot of the 3rd party AAA games that come to both consoles as those games by definition won't be able to fully take advantage of the new technology and powerful computing abilities outside of more generic improvements to the next-gen versions like load times etc. From the foundation up (with more complex things like enemy/oppenent AI etc.) those games will have to run on old tech first, and then be upscaled on the newer consoles essentially. They won't be building two separate versions of these multi-platform or Microsoft exclusive games, so the new ones at some level will always be held back.

I get that the new XBOX is stealing the spotlight right now but given that this is the Microsoft plan moving forward, how are PlayStation exclusives NOT gonna pull far ahead by the end of this next generation? 8 years from now XBOX and multi-platform games are still gonna be hamstrung by 15 year old tech from this current gen that's ending, having to run on both (and on whatever incrementally improved consoles they release in 3-4 years). That seems...ill advised.
Madden has a lot of issues but a former Dev was explaining things to one of the youtube creators awhile back a few yrs ago. The problem is most fans will not accept the real reason for madden issues. I'll just use cliff notes here on the issues

1. in order to make the game better the Madden team was using an engine that had so many algorithms it kept that it would take almost 3-4 yrs to build it to what it should be. The data has many of the players info and stats so they don't have to regenerate or build them from scratch. 

2. This means a lot of the features already in the game would need to be taken out and reworked. The Dev said he left the team before EA took out many of the franchise features people loved but said they could be put back in at some point but the issue was again the data base built up

3. Theres certain things the NFL WILL NOT ALLOW IN THE GAME EITHER. NFL doesn't want to see low attendance for games say the Colts, Dolphins, or other bad teams when teams are doing poorly. They don't want to see the helmets popping off. Madden also can't use the word CONCUSSIONS so Madden uses I believe Stinger (Can't remember the exact injury) to substitute for concussions

4. For the PS5 for example if Fans want a great game with all the features they asked for the new engine would need to be built from scratch. Most of the features would have to be completey scrapped in order to put them back in the right away. This means fans shouldn't expect this incredible high tech game 

5. The Madden EA team now is only half the size as it was in 2005-06 so theres more work but with less man power

I'm by no means defending them but a lot of fans are so irrational. I thought 2k NFL wasn't great. Great graphics but the game play was too stiff, too much of an arcade style game and not really that fun. In terms of Madden itself they should be better but the main people who started working on the game ####ed up from the beginning using an engine that can only handle so much data. Because the pressure they are under if they were to change that engine fans would riot when they realize all the work that has to be done to make the game better including stripping fan favorite features for maybe 1-2 yrs just to build the engine to what it should be. Fans just expect on hey new engine they should be great. I would love to see dynamic weather like PES uses and stuff like that. Madden however put itself in a hole with the engine they use and considering how irrational gaming fans are the truth would never be accepted by many. 

When you are in Road to the Show how do you accurately throw a ball? I am SS and when I get a ball I hit first base button. A target comes up at first base and I have yet to throw a ball that the first baseman catches for an out. I have an error every time. Not sure what is more annoying, the fact I can not make a defensive play or that I am still on the team regardless.

Is there any way to delete previous attempts to Road to the Show?

Why does the tutorial not have and explain this target I get when attempting to make a play? 
Change throwing to a different option or move the right stick to target the glove. I believe the area for a good throw will come up green.

I went into settings after I was in RTTS and was able to change it. I can now just hit a button and my guy will throw to corresponding base. 

Game is much more fun now. I am not sure I understand how to start a relationship. Does it just happen or do I need to do something? Right now I am just playing games and following the prompts.
Theres a thing in training for it. I don't get how they effect the game but given you are a SS but best would be if you can build up the relationship with your 2B and 3B partners and 1B. Maybe catcher if he's throwing to you on steals. 

2K Czech announced they have remastered all 3 MAFIA trilogy games. I only played a bit of MAFIA originally and got stuck(Which I didn't know at the time) on a level almost a lot of others did and quit playing. It was known as one of the best games free roam wise until GTA got really good. MAFIA II was one of my favorites and like many want the sequel to this which many of us thought would be MAFIA III but not. MIII was still a good game different sequences but a great soundtrack and world setting. MAFIA II and III definitive collection are available right now and MAFIA comes out in August. Bundle is 59.99 on the PS Store right now. Separately they are almost 50 bucks more. MAFIA III comes with a mini bundle of some cool new stuff and MAFIA II comes with the DLC's already included. Currently downloading MAFIA 2 as we speak 

Madden has a lot of issues but a former Dev was explaining things to one of the youtube creators awhile back a few yrs ago. The problem is most fans will not accept the real reason for madden issues. I'll just use cliff notes here on the issues

1. in order to make the game better the Madden team was using an engine that had so many algorithms it kept that it would take almost 3-4 yrs to build it to what it should be. The data has many of the players info and stats so they don't have to regenerate or build them from scratch. 

2. This means a lot of the features already in the game would need to be taken out and reworked. The Dev said he left the team before EA took out many of the franchise features people loved but said they could be put back in at some point but the issue was again the data base built up

3. Theres certain things the NFL WILL NOT ALLOW IN THE GAME EITHER. NFL doesn't want to see low attendance for games say the Colts, Dolphins, or other bad teams when teams are doing poorly. They don't want to see the helmets popping off. Madden also can't use the word CONCUSSIONS so Madden uses I believe Stinger (Can't remember the exact injury) to substitute for concussions

4. For the PS5 for example if Fans want a great game with all the features they asked for the new engine would need to be built from scratch. Most of the features would have to be completey scrapped in order to put them back in the right away. This means fans shouldn't expect this incredible high tech game 

5. The Madden EA team now is only half the size as it was in 2005-06 so theres more work but with less man power

I'm by no means defending them but a lot of fans are so irrational. I thought 2k NFL wasn't great. Great graphics but the game play was too stiff, too much of an arcade style game and not really that fun. In terms of Madden itself they should be better but the main people who started working on the game ####ed up from the beginning using an engine that can only handle so much data. Because the pressure they are under if they were to change that engine fans would riot when they realize all the work that has to be done to make the game better including stripping fan favorite features for maybe 1-2 yrs just to build the engine to what it should be. Fans just expect on hey new engine they should be great. I would love to see dynamic weather like PES uses and stuff like that. Madden however put itself in a hole with the engine they use and considering how irrational gaming fans are the truth would never be accepted by many. 

Actually most Madden haters who actually pay attention are perfectly aware that it all needs to be torn down and rebuilt because they're building on top of a stilted, poor foundation. And that they'll never do it because they'd need a 2-3 year development cycle to pull it off. We know, it's well documented. That's why Madden sucks and barely changes every year. Trust me, most people who want a good sim football experience, the NFL version of The Show, wish it was financially viable for EA to take a few years and start over, we'd make that "sacrifice" because it's not worth buying every year for a roster update anyways. 

I get that a ton of the game's limitations are legacy issues from ten years ago, and that's the problem. But ironically none of the stuff you mentioned as things the NFL won't allow even registers on most people's wish lists for what Madden should be able to get right. Zone and Man coverage are busted. AI teams can't tell the difference between 4-3 OLB and 3-4 EDGE players, or 4-3 DT and 3-4 IDL. They can't figure out how to cause incompletions (leading to realistic comp%) without wacky airballs and ridiculous tipped ball animations when most NFL games see just a couple high-tipped balls per game, and they're all heart-stopping in real life when they happen. They're common-place in Madden bc crazy contested incompletions are the only way the AI can slow down a human player without tons of INTs or egregious drops that don't correlate to player ratings. Player models are wonky and don't look realistic, they're all weirdly thinned out and lanky, nvm the equipment issues. Blocking animations are still trash and non-OL subbed onto the line can still block the same at 180 lbs with no blocking stats. Defensive players are sticky on blockers until a tackle animation triggers, then they're sticky on ball carriers...so you can never actually feel like you're controlling an elusive tackle-breaking guy with vision, you basically need to break an animation and then break away with pure speed to make big plays in modern madden. Substitutions still don't work and AI teams don't use them correctly. 5+ years into the franchise mode, none of the drafted players progress into the same type or same level of players that the game's stock updated roster comes with, so the mode is pointless as the league's younger drafted players deteriorate the talent pool into one-dimensional role players who for instance can only ever be good at Man or Zone on defense, or can only become good Run or Pass blockers (not that OL ratings work well anyways). 

The on-field gameplay and animations are broken, repetitive, and boring and don't resemble the actual sport. The ratings don't effect the game in an intuitive or meaningful way outside of a few. The AI is trash and teams don't change schemes correctly to utilize the high ratings their players DO have. An AI team will draft the best EDGE prospect ever with 90 block shedding and play him as a 4-3 coverage OLB. Obviously the franchise mode is broken, drafted players don't progress correctly, the XP system is idiotic and works poorly, contracts and the salary cap don't work correctly, compensatory picks don't exist, RFA tags don't exist, 5th-year options on 1st round rookie contracts don't exist, Supplemental draft doesn't exist, UDFA doesn't exist in a meaninful way. 

So on and off the field Madden is broken. People who like to play H2H can at least learn to exploit the meta aspects of the game to play in whatever way works to enjoy competitive play I guess, but it's a poor representation of actual football. 

Hell the Madden Championship or whatever was just won by a dude who didn't even roster a QB lol, had a Punter at QB all game and ran the ball every. Single. Play. Silly that that's even possible. 

Now I'm not saying you don't know this stuff, I know you're anti-EA and kind of agreeing with me. 

But EA being unable (more unwilling but technically unable since to fix their broken engine and the garbage foundation the whole thing is built on would take a multi-year development cycle that the suits in marketing and such wouldn't allow) has nothing to do with unfair or irrational fan expectations.

People who pay attention know why it can't all be fixed in 1-year development cycles. THAT's what they're mad about, the futility of the current cycle, not that it isn't fixed year to year lol. Most would sacrifice a couple years of worse than mediocre individual "new" Madden games for a big jump forward in 2023 or whatever, but it'll never happen from EA. 

Besides Cyberpunk 2077 the only game I'm really looking forward to right now is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2. It looks awesome and I've read a bunch of the kind of urban fantasy Seattle vampire lore they came up with, on the game's site. 

I actually never even played the first one back in the day, and now it's too old and janky to get me into it, despite all the years I played janky western RPGs like Morrowind or Pool of Radiance which was a straight broken mess compared to the much better Baldur's Gate franchise. But something about this apparently long-awaited sequel sucked me in and unless it totally bombs I'm looking forward to picking a vampire clan and sucking some blood while roaming the night in First Person with supernatural powers and stuff. 

I'm playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker right now with a Turn-Based mod for the battles bc I'm too old to be micro-managing that Real Time With Pause bull#### I used to love back in the day. It's a blast and I'm enjoying it even more than I liked Pillars of Eternity 1+2, but that might be because I'm a DnD guy and this game isn't the off-brand spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate that POE1+2 are, but rather actual DnD 3.5e type rules, classes, spells etc. being based on real Pathfinder.  :nerd:

ConnSKINS26 said:
Actually most Madden haters who actually pay attention are perfectly aware that it all needs to be torn down and rebuilt because they're building on top of a stilted, poor foundation. And that they'll never do it because they'd need a 2-3 year development cycle to pull it off. We know, it's well documented. That's why Madden sucks and barely changes every year. Trust me, most people who want a good sim football experience, the NFL version of The Show, wish it was financially viable for EA to take a few years and start over, we'd make that "sacrifice" because it's not worth buying every year for a roster update anyways. 

I get that a ton of the game's limitations are legacy issues from ten years ago, and that's the problem. But ironically none of the stuff you mentioned as things the NFL won't allow even registers on most people's wish lists for what Madden should be able to get right. Zone and Man coverage are busted. AI teams can't tell the difference between 4-3 OLB and 3-4 EDGE players, or 4-3 DT and 3-4 IDL. They can't figure out how to cause incompletions (leading to realistic comp%) without wacky airballs and ridiculous tipped ball animations when most NFL games see just a couple high-tipped balls per game, and they're all heart-stopping in real life when they happen. They're common-place in Madden bc crazy contested incompletions are the only way the AI can slow down a human player without tons of INTs or egregious drops that don't correlate to player ratings. Player models are wonky and don't look realistic, they're all weirdly thinned out and lanky, nvm the equipment issues. Blocking animations are still trash and non-OL subbed onto the line can still block the same at 180 lbs with no blocking stats. Defensive players are sticky on blockers until a tackle animation triggers, then they're sticky on ball carriers...so you can never actually feel like you're controlling an elusive tackle-breaking guy with vision, you basically need to break an animation and then break away with pure speed to make big plays in modern madden. Substitutions still don't work and AI teams don't use them correctly. 5+ years into the franchise mode, none of the drafted players progress into the same type or same level of players that the game's stock updated roster comes with, so the mode is pointless as the league's younger drafted players deteriorate the talent pool into one-dimensional role players who for instance can only ever be good at Man or Zone on defense, or can only become good Run or Pass blockers (not that OL ratings work well anyways). 

The on-field gameplay and animations are broken, repetitive, and boring and don't resemble the actual sport. The ratings don't effect the game in an intuitive or meaningful way outside of a few. The AI is trash and teams don't change schemes correctly to utilize the high ratings their players DO have. An AI team will draft the best EDGE prospect ever with 90 block shedding and play him as a 4-3 coverage OLB. Obviously the franchise mode is broken, drafted players don't progress correctly, the XP system is idiotic and works poorly, contracts and the salary cap don't work correctly, compensatory picks don't exist, RFA tags don't exist, 5th-year options on 1st round rookie contracts don't exist, Supplemental draft doesn't exist, UDFA doesn't exist in a meaninful way. 

So on and off the field Madden is broken. People who like to play H2H can at least learn to exploit the meta aspects of the game to play in whatever way works to enjoy competitive play I guess, but it's a poor representation of actual football. 

Hell the Madden Championship or whatever was just won by a dude who didn't even roster a QB lol, had a Punter at QB all game and ran the ball every. Single. Play. Silly that that's even possible. 

Now I'm not saying you don't know this stuff, I know you're anti-EA and kind of agreeing with me. 

But EA being unable (more unwilling but technically unable since to fix their broken engine and the garbage foundation the whole thing is built on would take a multi-year development cycle that the suits in marketing and such wouldn't allow) has nothing to do with unfair or irrational fan expectations.

People who pay attention know why it can't all be fixed in 1-year development cycles. THAT's what they're mad about, the futility of the current cycle, not that it isn't fixed year to year lol. Most would sacrifice a couple years of worse than mediocre individual "new" Madden games for a big jump forward in 2023 or whatever, but it'll never happen from EA. 
It could be done but would need actual leadership and management to pull it off. 

You keep the barebones team to manage a version like you have been for the next 2-3 years because that's what you would have done anyway. Then you spend money and resources into a new platform for the game. Build it from the ground up that can be sustainable for 7-10 years and allow for growth year over year without a total rebuild. You properly schedule the next 3 years of development and hold people accountable for deadlines to avoid last minute crunch to launch. When you have the title 95% ready (presumably 6 months from launch) you ramp up the ad campaign for a brand new Madden. You pour money into testing like you never have before to grind out the glitches as much as possible before launch. You have one shot for the next 10 years to show the world you've heard the cries of the public and have created something worth reinvesting your time into. It would require a lot more up front capital than EA is used to spending but it would sustain the franchise easily for the next decade with goodwill and playability. 

Not sure the execs and the bean counters will see it that way though since they make a stupid amount of money from a small portion of the customer base on the Ultimate team mode and microtransactions. It's not sustainable because eventually those gamers will realize they keep buying the same thing every year and then it all goes up in smoke. But they'll look at the returns and say it's not worth the investment when things are fine. 

ConnSKINS26 said:

Actually I'm not really ANTI EA. I like them over a lot of other companies. Most companies pull the same crap as EA as well. The issue is people keep buying the games. I've talked about this with NBA2K series. People continue to buy a broken game. I'm also talking about the IGC (Internet Gaming Community) anti EA NFL2K Supporters. The other issues is these companies spend more time on My Team/Ultimate Team/ etc whatever you want to call it. Thats where their money is made these days so very little is done with the other aspects of these sports games. 

You can also say the same thing with most RPO and shooting games or open world games. Gone is a good storylines or Campaign modes in favor of battle royals and other Multi Player. You saw what happened with Black Ops 3 people not buying it without the campaign. Unfortunately the companies know despite all the complaining people are still gonna buy the product. DOn't buy the product and things could very well change No one if Forcing you to buy a game 

The NFL extended the exclusivity deal with EA on Madden to 2026.  I think it's a short term gain that hurts the league long term.  Madden now is just a microtransaction machine.  I saw a video of some guy that spent $10k for his team...

I only bought one Madden this console generation, '17. I don't even touch that all too much. If I have a football fix, I still go to my PS2 Maddens. 07 is usually my go to. But to be fair I usually sim through my franchises.

Back in the day when effort was put toward Franchise mode. I haven't actually played on field Madden for years. I just enjoy team building, simming, seeing how my team does. Drafting, adding free agents, seeing how your team evolves through the years, watching a player's stats as they progress, etc, etc. That is what's fun to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only bought one Madden this console generation, '17. I don't even touch that all too much. If I have a football fix, I still go to my PS2 Maddens. 07 is usually my go to. But to be fair I usually sim through my franchises.

Back in the day when effort was put toward Franchise mode. I haven't actually played on field Madden for years. I just enjoy team building, simming, seeing how my team does. Drafting, adding free agents, seeing how your team evolves through the years, watching a player's stats as they progress, etc, etc. That is what's fun to me.
Me too. But at this point, sports games are just microtransaction farms, so here we are.

Bummer.

I'm not real sure about relationships, but I believe it's easiest to build them as a 2b or SS.  I think the training things with your 2B and 1B and #1 SP will help the relationship stuff.  Not really sure.  There's some youtube videos about RTTS tips that should help.  

I haven't even started RTTS yet this year, I'm still playing Diamond Dynasty.
What is Diamond Dynasty? I think I started but just did not understand so stopped.

What is Diamond Dynasty? I think I started but just did not understand so stopped.
It's like Ultimate Team in EA games.  Build up your own team of cards/players from live cards, legends, etc.  There's offline game modes and online game modes with your team.  I play primarily offline.  

I've also played March to October twice.  It's like a quick season of dynasty.  

Everytime I play MLB 20 The show a baseball card comes up. It looks like maybe I am supposed to do something with it but I am not sure what. I just hit x and continue  to doing The Show. Am I missing out on something?

Looks like maybe a collectors card?

Everytime I play MLB 20 The show a baseball card comes up. It looks like maybe I am supposed to do something with it but I am not sure what. I just hit x and continue  to doing The Show. Am I missing out on something?

Looks like maybe a collectors card?
Those cards can be used or sold in Diamond Dynasty.  

What Xbox one games do you guys recommend playing?

I have red dead redemption 2 and Batman Arkham. I enjoyed the gears series and fallout 3.

What Xbox one games do you guys recommend playing?

I have red dead redemption 2 and Batman Arkham. I enjoyed the gears series and fallout 3.
Fallout 4. If it's the sandbox thing you like about RDR2 and Fallout 3 then Skyrim. Outer Worlds has some sandbox elements but is also a nice option to have if you only have a little time to play. It's slightly more linear but still pretty open and you can just knock out a thing here and there. It's also pretty funny. 

The NFL extended the exclusivity deal with EA on Madden to 2026.  I think it's a short term gain that hurts the league long term.  Madden now is just a microtransaction machine.  I saw a video of some guy that spent $10k for his team...
Most sports games are this way. NBA2k series is essentially legal gambling for teens and younger kids now. Only sports game that seems to give a #### about it's other modes anymore in MLB The Show but I would say over the last few yrs NHL series has done a good overhaul on its Franchise mode. The worst things that could happen to these sports games is allowing people to spend money to make their own real life Fantasy teams and play them online. Given all the money players pump into those modes that's where the focus is anymore. Same with online multiplayer for RPG games and games like COD. Gone are the days are great campaign/storymodes as most devs just focus on where the money is pumped in the most. However the hardcore players who loved the Single player or CO-op story's got left in the dust. AKA myself and others. I'm not huge on multiplayer or UTs etc. One I have an addictive personality and the type who would spend my entire savings to put a team together so I stay away from it. I also have zero time to do the grind. A lot of my friends have XBOX's but most of the games I like are on Playstation exclusives. I'm not big on playing with others nor do I have time to do what I want to do in the game and then play with a bunch of friends. I like keeping to myself for the most part. 

Thats what my one buddy did for yrs but the issue with that is because he never played any of the actual on the field games in these sports games whenever we'd play against him (When people still went to one another's houses with a controller and played right there next to each other) he'd get his ### handed to him. He's a really sore loser and winner so he'd either rage quit or we'd get in a huge fight. He'd want to play seasons where we all say take 8 teams each between the 3 of us the rest Computer. We'd never finish a season because he was so bad. It got to the point where my one buddy and I at one point intentionally let him win some games just so we could keep playing. We'd spend hours simulating a fantasy draft to start the mode then we'd put this production into drafting teams. I couldn't tell you how much time we wasted just because he was such a sore loser 

Don't normally do this but I might pre order PS5 for the initial launch. Never have done this and considering my tax return and Money from the stimulus I have more then enough plus what I've saved in lose change for this. I was saving up for 3 concerts for this summer that obviously aren't happening now though so I might as well put it to something I'll use all the time. 

Yep. I mean from a business standpoint I get it in the short term. Keep ####### the customer because they're stupid enough to keep paying thousands every year for the same thing. Why would you ever stop that gravy train if you're a soulless corporation?

My obvious question is who are these idiots that keep paying thousands every year on their Ultimate teams just to do it all again in 12 months? 

Yep. I mean from a business standpoint I get it in the short term. Keep ####### the customer because they're stupid enough to keep paying thousands every year for the same thing. Why would you ever stop that gravy train if you're a soulless corporation?

My obvious question is who are these idiots that keep paying thousands every year on their Ultimate teams just to do it all again in 12 months? 

Its so freaking weird. I'll never understand it.

Its basically a race to see who can spend more dumb money to get "players" with better digital stats so that they can beat other idiots who just spent slightly less money for their "players"'' digital stats. It doesn't mean you're a better player, it just means you're more ok with spending money. Its absurd.

And yeah, once the year is over, all that "accomplishment" is wiped clean.

I mean, kudos to the gaming companies for figuring out new ways to screw idiots. Its EXCELLENT business. And I don't TOTALLY blame them when you consider that the retail cost of a video game has stayed flat for like 30 years while production, marketing and maintenance costs (25 years ago, there were no patches, no expectation of DLC. A game had a bug? Tough ####) have probably gone up 1,000 fold. 

Its so freaking weird. I'll never understand it.

Its basically a race to see who can spend more dumb money to get "players" with better digital stats so that they can beat other idiots who just spent slightly less money for their "players"'' digital stats. It doesn't mean you're a better player, it just means you're more ok with spending money. Its absurd.

And yeah, once the year is over, all that "accomplishment" is wiped clean.

I mean, kudos to the gaming companies for figuring out new ways to screw idiots. Its EXCELLENT business. And I don't TOTALLY blame them when you consider that the retail cost of a video game has stayed flat for like 30 years while production, marketing and maintenance costs (25 years ago, there were no patches, no expectation of DLC. A game had a bug? Tough ####) have probably gone up 1,000 fold.
Sale prices may have stayed a bit flat, but number of sales have risen and risen. I had trouble finding worldwide numbers for a lot of individual years, but it looks like worldwide video game sales totaled about $25B in 2004. Last year it was about $250B. So about 10 times more total money in sales over the last 15 years.

Last year EA pulled in $1.49B just in money from the Ultimate Team Moses across all their games. So a full 1% of ALL video game revenue last year was just from microtransactions within EA sport games.

Teens and college guys and nerdy gamers who don't care about the little things or attention to detail like us. They don't care if Man/Zone Def AI coverage is broken, that Franchise mode has no comp picks, RFAor UDFA, the draft is meaningless, many good names go unsigned in the franchise free agency so you can sign many to cheap 1 yr deals every year after FA and the Draft and make a juggernaut, etc. They just like having all the cool names and playing online and beating people. I think I saw a video of some guy who had an amazing UT where he spent almost $5K or more on the cards and everything for the team he built. A lot of these guys are also youtube creators and other streamers who make tons of money streaming themselves playing and don't have to work a day in their life a real job. Grinding out and having the satisfaction of a great team are gone. Unless you got the funds for UT and enjoy getting your ### handed to you 77-0 each game UT and other things similar are worthless. 

Finally started playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps. This might be even better than the original game. Both games are just sheer masterpieces. Anyone that enjoys the Metroidvania style of play will love this but the game itself is just so beautiful. The music, the artwork, the backgrounds are all amazing in the level of detail and care they were given. Seems like it's about 20-30 hours of gameplay too so worth the run through. 

Finally started playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps. This might be even better than the original game. Both games are just sheer masterpieces. Anyone that enjoys the Metroidvania style of play will love this but the game itself is just so beautiful. The music, the artwork, the backgrounds are all amazing in the level of detail and care they were given. Seems like it's about 20-30 hours of gameplay too so worth the run through. 
Is this the Abe’s Odyssey rip off using colors and sounds?   

Me too. But at this point, sports games are just microtransaction farms, so here we are.

Bummer.
Was my impression that most games of all genres have moved focus to microtransactions. The better ones build solid single player games without the need for microtransactions (RDR2 is a solid example) but developers still sink their resources in online/microtransaction play instead of SP DLC, etc. (RDR2 another example).

Was my impression that most games of all genres have moved focus to microtransactions. The better ones build solid single player games without the need for microtransactions (RDR2 is a solid example) but developers still sink their resources in online/microtransaction play instead of SP DLC, etc. (RDR2 another example).
No doubt that micros play a huge part in the revenue for most major titles. But with other genres (as you've pointed out) they are mostly optional for the main parts of the game. RDR2 provided me with what must have been hundreds of hours of entertainment.  The online portion is an add-on (that didn't come until months after release if i remember correctly). Same thing with the free to play shooter games that are super popular right now (Warzone, Apex, Fortnite), etc. You're mostly just paying for silly cosmetic stuff that doesn't have an impact on enjoyment (at least not mine)

But with sports games, the Ultimate Team (or whatever 2K calls it in NBA. I guess "My Player"?) is the MAIN mode now. And its pretty much the only mode they put any effort into. I used to buy FIFA every year for franchise mode. Loved building up a team with youth players, tweaking my roster, etc.  But at some point, I got tired of seeing the same bugs, the same half-developed mechanics (player progression in particular) while getting bombarded with adds to buy packs for Ultimate team. It became clear that anyone who doesn't play UT was an afterthought, so I didn't feel it was worth my investment anymore.

But there are several games I've enjoyed over the past few years that didn't require any investment beyond the initial purchase price. Xcom 2, Borderlands 3, the Division, PUBG, Overwatch.

Other franchises (Battlefield in particular. No idea how those clowns botched that cash cow so badly the past 5 years) have let me down for reasons completely unrelated to micro transactions. So its certainly not the ONLY problem with the gaming industry.

Per The Verge 

Sony postpones PS5 event due to protests

Sony wants to ‘stand back and allow more important voices to be heard’

Sony is postponing its PlayStation 5 event that was scheduled for June 4th due to ongoing protests. “While we understand gamers worldwide are excited to see PS5 games, we do not feel that right now is a time for celebration,” says Sony in a Twitter message. “And for now, we want to stand back and allow more important voices to be heard.”

Sony is clearly referencing the response to the death of George Floyd in Minnesota, and the resulting protests we’ve seen take place in the US and around the world. Sony had been planning to use Thursday’s event to showcase PS5 games, promising an hour-long event with a first look at some of the games people will be playing when the PlayStation 5 launches this holiday season.

Sony’s decision follows a similar move by EA to delay its Madden NFL 21 event today, and Google’s decision to delay its Android 11 beta announcement.

Developing...

Played some Left 4 Dead 2 last night while the PUBG servers were down for maintenance.  Still a fun game and I was surprised how quickly I was able to find a full team.  Hard damn game too!

finally beat FF7 remake.  It was a good but man was it LOOONGGG.  dont recall it being that linear either.  40 hours.  I liked it but wont play that one again

Picked up bloodstained for my laptop.  very fun.  

finally beat FF7 remake.  It was a good but man was it LOOONGGG.  dont recall it being that linear either.  40 hours.  I liked it but wont play that one again

Picked up bloodstained for my laptop.  very fun.  
Is it the full game or just half?

Is it the full game or just half?
oh its just the midgar part.  im not sure if they are going to do 2 parts or three.   

its worth a look if you liked the original.  but if I was someone who had never played ff7 im not sure what I would think of it.

oh its just the midgar part.  im not sure if they are going to do 2 parts or three.   

its worth a look if you liked the original.  but if I was someone who had never played ff7 im not sure what I would think of it.
So I really liked it 25 years ago, but I think I was more just caught up in a game that everyone loved. I don’t love JRPGs and I think I’d probably not care too much for this one.  If it was a straight port, I might give it a shot just for nostalgia though. 

So I really liked it 25 years ago, but I think I was more just caught up in a game that everyone loved. I don’t love JRPGs and I think I’d probably not care too much for this one.  If it was a straight port, I might give it a shot just for nostalgia though. 
the fighting system is nice

Not much of a gamer but I do have a PS4 with 15 games that have hardly been touched that I've decided I'm going to spend some time on. Also noticed that PS Now is currently on sale for $42 for the year, normally $60. Seems like some pretty cheap entertainment for 100's of games.

Picked up The Talos Principle a few months ago on sale from PSN for $10, just started playing a couple days ago.

This is honestly one of the funnest games I've played in some time. I'm not even much of a puzzle game person but the narrative is absolutely excellent. I came over from The Witness when it was free on PSN, so this game is a breath of fresh air. Puzzles are actually solvable without needing to spend a month to figure out the mechanics of it. You still need to think, you just don't need to spend all day doing it. There's a balance that's struck here. There's a real sense of progression, unlocking new puzzle mechanics, new play areas. The soundtrack is super relaxing.

I'd guess I'm probably about 30-40% through the game, and just wanna keep playing to see where the story goes.

Highly recommended.

Picked up The Talos Principle a few months ago on sale from PSN for $10, just started playing a couple days ago.

This is honestly one of the funnest games I've played in some time. I'm not even much of a puzzle game person but the narrative is absolutely excellent. I came over from The Witness when it was free on PSN, so this game is a breath of fresh air. Puzzles are actually solvable without needing to spend a month to figure out the mechanics of it. You still need to think, you just don't need to spend all day doing it. There's a balance that's struck here. There's a real sense of progression, unlocking new puzzle mechanics, new play areas. The soundtrack is super relaxing.

I'd guess I'm probably about 30-40% through the game, and just wanna keep playing to see where the story goes.

Highly recommended.
I don't play a lot of games, but The Talos Principle and The Witness are two of my all-time favorites.  

Highly recommended.
Thanks for this.  Based on your and IE's posts I started Talos Principle and it's an immediate hit.   blew at least six hours on it last night.  Can't wait to play more.  

I know this is a little weird, but I am really rooting for a Demon's Souls remake at launch.  Most remakes would be boring launch titles, but I would be all over this one.

Users who are viewing this thread