What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (14 Viewers)

Halfway through Firefly. Zack Ephron is in the third episode and Christina Hendricks is in the 6th (and looking great, of course).

Halfway through Firefly. Zack Ephron is in the third episode and Christina Hendricks is in the 6th (and looking great, of course).
I watched 20 minutes of the first of the first EP. It looked really cheesy. Like "wow this movie sucks...maybe we can sell it to Sci-Fi channel for some weed" kinda cheesy.

I watched 20 minutes of the first of the first EP. It looked really cheesy. Like "wow this movie sucks...maybe we can sell it to Sci-Fi channel for some weed" kinda cheesy.
It doesn't have great production values, it's all about the writing and the characters.

I'm really enjoying it. :shrug: The production value is poor and the plot lines pretty much stick with what is acceptable to show 13 year olds on the CW, but its pretty good.

The League is $$$$$$
Wouldn't have enjoyed this without Netflix. Even when it followed IASIP I never tuned in.

Why not?! First episode was a little rough around the edges setting up the premise plus they had to have a draft, but it was :moneybag: ever since
I did watch the first couple of episodes and was very disappointed. They figured things out after a few episodes though. Glad I gave it another chance.

It doesn't have great production values, it's all about the writing and the characters.
The writing is good?

The writing is good?
Yes.

Looks like they added The Twilight Zone about 2 weeks ago. :thumbup:
Just finished up with Ep. 1 of Claymore. Great show.
I`m in heaven, or is it the "Twilight Zone"?
Have watched a few of the old classics. Episode 3 season 5. Nightmare at 20000 Feet is my favorite. William Shatner vs the Gremlin on the plane wing = awesome. Solid top 10 list here:http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1927690_1927684_1927643,00.html

Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer...good documentary on the mafia like power that business elites have over this country's financial institutions and our government.. 3 stars/5

Radio Bikini: About the Atomic Bomb tests by the US govt on Bikini Atoll in late 1940's. Really eye opening 3.5 stars/5

Unforgivable Blackness: The Story of Heavyweight Boxing Champ Jack Johnson: Really liked this: 4 stars/5

Last edited by a moderator:
Football Factory: British movie about a football hooligan who is reconsidering his lifestyle. More fun than anything. Some pretty obvious nods to Trainspotting and every Guy Ritchie movie ever made. The film winds you up for some sort of climax that never really happens (sounds like my wedding night...heyoooooo!). 3/5

Oh, it's kind of tough to understand the dialog since they don't really speak English over there in the UK.

The writing is good?
Yes.
I didn't see that in the pilot.

They now have an app for some HTC phones, you can steam movies perfectly, not sure if this was in the thread or not, no choppiness at all :HTCincredible:

They now have an app for some HTC phones, you can steam movies perfectly, not sure if this was in the thread or not, no choppiness at all :HTCincredible:
Interesting. Although that could be murder if you don't have an unlimited data plan.

Got around to some more Netflix finally.

Bill Burr: Let It Go

Absolutely ####### hysterical, stand-up at its finest. There are a couple lulls in his bits, but there are many more gutbustingly hilarious moments. A

Claymore

Finally finished up the last episode of 26. I'd describe it as a cross between Kill Bill (revenge story), Afro Samurai (the last like 16 episodes play out like straight up video game boss battles), and Akira (seriously dark and disturbing, supreme being type stuff going on here. It has a few of the typical japanime cliches, but Clare is just a complete warrior. A+

The Cartel: something something

Documentary about the education system. I only got through 30 minutes before passing out, but what little I did see looked extremely riveting. $300k per classroom in New Jersey? How? Will rate later on.

Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer

There's some fascinating stuff about the intricate relationships Spitzer had with NYC politicians and businessmen, and of course the Emperor's Club stuff, but honestly very passable. If you're looking for a good story of real-life corruption, check out the Enron documentary. Spitzer, while very valiant in stretches when up against Wall Street, in the end just comes off like another politician. B-

The writing is good?
Yes.
My wife didn't make it past the pilot either. The rest of the episodes are really good, you need the pilot to set the stage. The movie was awesome.

Watched one of my top 5 movie of all time Raging Bull for about the 100th time last night, as I saw netflix had it listed, never noticed it before. Just looked him up again, and hard to believe, LaMotta is still around, at age 90. Vicki died about 5 years ago.

Watched "Cocaine Cowboys" last night and it was a great documentary!

In the 1980s, ruthless Colombian cocaine barons invaded Miami with a brand of violence unseen in this country since Prohibition-era Chicago - and it put the city on the map. "Cocaine Cowboys" is the true story of how Miami became the drug, murder and cash capital of the United States, told by the people who made it all happen.

In the 1980s, ruthless Colombian cocaine barons invaded Miami with a brand of violence unseen in this country since Prohibition-era Chicago - and it put the city on the map. "Cocaine Cowboys" is the true story of how Miami became the drug, murder and cash capital of the United States, told by the people who made it all happen.
Cocaine Cowboys 2 is another winner

Love this doc. Pretty much 2 hours of :jawdrop:

Finished up The Cartel, great documentary about the public education system and how broken it is. Really eye-opening and depressing towards the end.

Cocaine Cowboys 2 is another winner
yeah, I saw that on there too. Haven't watched it yet though. I will tomorrow I think. :popcorn:

Was looking for some mindless series to get into and started Highlander, the TV series last night. Always enjoyed the movies in a very mindless, popcorn kind of way, but never saw the series.

It's dated, it's predictable, you start to wonder how many episodes are going to end in a sword fight, but so far I am enjoying every minute. Fills the gaps real well while waiting for new discs of Mad Men, The Wire, etc.

Was looking for some mindless series to get into and started Highlander, the TV series last night. Always enjoyed the movies in a very mindless, popcorn kind of way, but never saw the series.It's dated, it's predictable, you start to wonder how many episodes are going to end in a sword fight, but so far I am enjoying every minute. Fills the gaps real well while waiting for new discs of Mad Men, The Wire, etc.
I watched it years ago on USA. Liked it then, can't watch it now. Though the immortal dirtbiker is amusing.

The writing is good?
Yes.
blasphemy.

The writing is good?
Yes.
blasphemy.
:shrug: It came off as cheesy as hell.

Probably not the cup of tea for most here but My So Called Life entire series is playable. I thought it was a fantastic show but apparently I'm in a very small minority.

We've had this conversation. The production values (special effects, sets, locations, # of extras etc.) are cheesy. The original budget was almost non-existant and it was so horribly mismanaged by Fox that it wasn't able to generate enough of a following early on to warrant additional money for more episodes. Often when you have a cheap looking show it creates the notion that everything about it must be cheap, that simply wasn't the case with FF. The actors were very well cast and the writing? That was top notch.Fox dropped the ball on this one, properly handled it could have become Battlestar Galactia, which if you watch the mini-series you will see it also had many of the same problems that plagued FF.

The writing is good?
Yes.
blasphemy.
Fight through the pilot. You will be glad you did.

The writing is good?
Yes.
blasphemy.
Fight through the pilot. You will be glad you did.
Too late.

We've had this conversation. The production values (special effects, sets, locations, # of extras etc.) are cheesy. The original budget was almost non-existant and it was so horribly mismanaged by Fox that it wasn't able to generate enough of a following early on to warrant additional money for more episodes. Often when you have a cheap looking show it creates the notion that everything about it must be cheap, that simply wasn't the case with FF. The actors were very well cast and the writing? That was top notch.

Fox dropped the ball on this one, properly handled it could have become Battlestar Galactia, which if you watch the mini-series you will see it also had many of the same problems that plagued FF.
This is a selling point? BG sucked Cylon nuts.

Battle for Los Angeles is unwatchable. :yucky:
I was looking on Netflix today and saw this. I thought it was that Battle: LA (or something along those lines) that came out a couple months ago, but I saw Kel Mitchell (Kenan & Kel, All That, nickelodeon fame) was the lead actor and it said it was some kind of spoof.Dont know if you watched it under false pretenses, but just FYI for others

We've had this conversation. The production values (special effects, sets, locations, # of extras etc.) are cheesy. The original budget was almost non-existant and it was so horribly mismanaged by Fox that it wasn't able to generate enough of a following early on to warrant additional money for more episodes. Often when you have a cheap looking show it creates the notion that everything about it must be cheap, that simply wasn't the case with FF. The actors were very well cast and the writing? That was top notch.

Fox dropped the ball on this one, properly handled it could have become Battlestar Galactia, which if you watch the mini-series you will see it also had many of the same problems that plagued FF.
Regardless of whether or not you enjoyed BG it was a hugely popular and successful show.I am thinking that the space saga genre may simply not be your cup of tea. Are there any shows of that type you enjoyed? Any of the Star Trek series perhaps?

Battle for Los Angeles is unwatchable. :yucky:
I was looking on Netflix today and saw this. I thought it was that Battle: LA (or something along those lines) that came out a couple months ago, but I saw Kel Mitchell (Kenan & Kel, All That, nickelodeon fame) was the lead actor and it said it was some kind of spoof.Dont know if you watched it under false pretenses, but just FYI for others
:lmao: :goodposting:

I will further disregard any of Sconch's opinions on shows. :thumbup:

The writing is good?
Yes.
blasphemy.
I'd watch the entire series just for Jewel Staite.

The writing is good?
Yes.
blasphemy.
I'd watch the entire series just for Jewel Staite.
Amen brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has The Motorcycle Diaries been mentioned yet? The Story of a young Ernesto "Che" Guevara and his friend as they travel across South America to intern at a leprosy island in Peru. Along the way he picks up the seeds that will fuel his desire to become the revolutionary figure that history remembers him as.

8/10

:goodposting: Who the hell could possibly think BG sucked? Really?

I've got a wide taste range so be forewarned...that said, I'd recommend:

Two period British series:

Bleak House - a lesser-known Dickens work done up as a very engaging mini-series

Dowton Abbey - just completed season 1 and it's the best thing I've seen since the Wire...truly outstanding acting, writing, sets

Documentaries:

Marwencol - I have NO idea how to describe it to make it sound even one-tenth as interesting as it is...so I won't try

Ken Burns: the War - drags a bit in places but well done and definitely worth the time

God Grew Tired of Us - intersting Fish out of Water story about the impact of Sudanese war and the boys who escaped and come to America to start new lives

Movies:

The Quiet American - pretty good

Once Upon a Time in America - good, not great

Miniseries:

Lonesome Dove - had never seen it...I imagine it was revelatory in its day (late 80s) but post Deadwood it feels a little too sanitized. Still it was very good. Duvall was excellent and Tommy Lee Jones is typically enjoyable.

Stand-Up

Bill Burr - 100% hilarious

Louis CK - 80% hilarious 20% crass

Tosh - 25% funny, 60% hilariously un-pc, 15% just ok

Was looking for some mindless series to get into and started Highlander, the TV series last night. Always enjoyed the movies in a very mindless, popcorn kind of way, but never saw the series.It's dated, it's predictable, you start to wonder how many episodes are going to end in a sword fight, but so far I am enjoying every minute. Fills the gaps real well while waiting for new discs of Mad Men, The Wire, etc.
My wife and I really enjoyed the show, it was much better than the movies IMO.

:goodposting: Who the hell could possibly think BG sucked? Really?
:goodposting: x 2

Users who are viewing this thread