What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Personal Finance Advice and Education! (4 Viewers)

Well I was assuming you were talking about a traditional IRA since you mentioned getting a tax credit from your state.  Also, if you have a large footballguy income then a Roth contribution is not allowed if you are maxing out your 401k.  

Well I was assuming you were talking about a traditional IRA since you mentioned getting a tax credit from your state.  Also, if you have a large footballguy income then a Roth contribution is not allowed if you are maxing out your 401k.  
Yeah we don't qualify for a Roth IRA. I mentioned I do not get a tax credit from my state.  So this only works with a Roth IRA?  Thanks for clearing it up.

I still wouldn't recommend but I think doing some research makes sense.  If you are high tax bracket  perhaps some tax free munis would make sense.
Thanks I will check out the munis as we are in the top tax bracket.

Appreciate the help at least I know that an IRA is an option over a 529.

Thanks I will check out the munis as we are in the top tax bracket.

Appreciate the help at least I know that an IRA is an option over a 529.
My biggest gripe about a 529 is the lack of investment options.  However,  I like the Roth like earnings feature and the ability to transfer funds to another child or family member if the designated child does not go to college or gets a scholarship.   If you have multiple kids the 529 looks pretty attractive. 

My biggest gripe about a 529 is the lack of investment options.  However,  I like the Roth like earnings feature and the ability to transfer funds to another child or family member if the designated child does not go to college or gets a scholarship.   If you have multiple kids the 529 looks pretty attractive. 
I have multiple kids. But they are twins so the luxury of being able to switch it to the other kid is a little tougher when they will be going to college at the exact same time. 

I have multiple kids. But they are twins so the luxury of being able to switch it to the other kid is a little tougher when they will be going to college at the exact same time. 
That's not a guarantee. I have twins and they went two different directions. One is in the Marines and the other is just now thinking about college. They turn 20 this fall. 

Grahamburn said:
Any Vanguard International funds that would stand out as better buys than the others?  Or just focus on minimizing cost and shoot for the funds with lower expense ratios?  $3k minimum.
VWIGX

The astute financial advisors say don't pay for your kid's education.  Put me in that camp. If anything have them pay the first two years, I know many who have thrown money down the drain on unmotivated kids. The motivated ones are getting scholarships, just sayin. I was one of those unmotivated ones so I know. 

Keep your emotions and your financial decisions separate. :2cents:  
This was my plan.  With my first one on the way.  Have a large amount in cash right now that needs to be liquid but in a year or so i think my plan will be to backdoor roth and not fund a 529.  Once my retirement is straight, then ill decide whether to pay for their college or pay off their loans.  but ive been meaning to toss this by an advisor so.  :shrug:  

Anyone else read or listen to stuff from FI sources like Mr. Money Mustache, Mad Fientist or Choose FI? 

I am NOT paying for my kid's college.  If you take the money aspect out of it for a second, think about how horrible it would be to blow a ton of money on your kid for college only to have them flake out and get nothing out of it, or major in something where there are no jobs and the degree is worthless.  That could destroy a relationship.  Not saying it would with me, but the potential is certainly there.  

If I am fortunate enough to be in a nice financial position when they are in college and I am able to help a bit, that's one thing, but mine and my wife's retirement comes first by FAR.  

Barring scholarships, I am going to do what I can to advocate for community college for two years for all the general electives that go towards 99% of the majors out there, or even some of the programs where you can get an associates in two years and start work right away, for example, as a registered nurse.  Then go back to school while working and have them pay for it.  

An education is great, but I don't think it trumps a lifetime of debt to overcome.  That, and the combination of community college, work, and then furthering your education while working (or even taking time off for accelerated programs) is also a very nice education.  

Bottom line, my kids co do whatever they want.  However, if they want MY help, they won't be going to an expensive 4 year school right out of high school, and I will be doing what I can to educate them about the risks of doing so along with the benefits of alternative routes, while telling them to read up about these things themselves.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my plan.  With my first one on the way.  Have a large amount in cash right now that needs to be liquid but in a year or so i think my plan will be to backdoor roth and not fund a 529.  Once my retirement is straight, then ill decide whether to pay for their college or pay off their loans.  but ive been meaning to toss this by an advisor so.  :shrug:  
Your questions are basic - I wouldn't waste money on an advisor 

Unless you are going to an IVY league school or one of the truly elite schools there is no reason to spend more money at a private college over a public university. 

Parents who think their kid needs to go to a private university to study psychology or ethnic studies are just as much to blame. 

Send your kids to a public university, save cash, and teach your kid how to actually be an adult. At the end of the day I don't think HR people think Santa Clara University is any better than San Jose State University to pick a local example.

Can any Roth IRA earnings be used to fund children's education expenses without penalty, or only the original contribution amounts? Have tried google but still wound up confused. 

Can any Roth IRA earnings be used to fund children's education expenses without penalty, or only the original contribution amounts? Have tried google but still wound up confused. 
Short Answer:  Only the contributions can be withdrawn tax/penalty free.

Longer Answer:  "Because your contributions are always made with after-tax dollars (you already paid income tax on that money), you can withdraw your contributions before retirement without having to fork over cash for taxes or penalties.

Withdrawing your earnings is a different matter. Any money in a withdrawal that exceeds the amount of your original contributions is considered “earnings” and is subject to possible penalties and taxes. The penalty for early withdrawal of earnings, except under certain specified conditions, is 10 percent of the earnings that you withdrew. In addition, you may have to pay income taxes on those withdrawals."

Anyone else read or listen to stuff from FI sources like Mr. Money Mustache, Mad Fientist or Choose FI? 
No, yes, no.  Mr MM is a bit of pretentious jerk, IMO.  Not too interested in reusing toilet paper, etc.  MF is very, very good - good articles with substantial impact on how to make retirement savings grow faster or last longer.  Haven't read much of the other, but will look at it.  I also happen to like Root of Good and Financial Samurai - informative sites.

For education, earnings can be withdrawn without penalty, but you have to pay income tax which will take out a nice chunk.  

So what is the benefit of a 529?  I have money for my kids from gifts already that i want to stick somewhere for them. 
Earning are tax free. Maybe some state tax credits/deductions.   If you're thinking aid, they ding you a lot less for a 529 then general income or money from a roth.   

No, yes, no.  Mr MM is a bit of pretentious jerk, IMO.  Not too interested in reusing toilet paper, etc.  MF is very, very good - good articles with substantial impact on how to make retirement savings grow faster or last longer.  Haven't read much of the other, but will look at it.  I also happen to like Root of Good and Financial Samurai - informative sites.
I agree with you on MMM, but he posts some interesting things occasionally. Choose FI is a podcast, not sure how much is actually on their site. I'll check out the two sites you mentioned, thanks.

We're up to a 40% savings rate now. Trying to make up for those dumb years in our 20s where we spent every last dollar we made. We'll be saving even more once I start renting our unit on airbnb next spring (going through permit and remodel process now). 

I agree with you on MMM, but he posts some interesting things occasionally. Choose FI is a podcast, not sure how much is actually on their site. I'll check out the two sites you mentioned, thanks.

We're up to a 40% savings rate now. Trying to make up for those dumb years in our 20s where we spent every last dollar we made. We'll be saving even more once I start renting our unit on airbnb next spring (going through permit and remodel process now). 
ChooseFI is a decent podcast.  I think they get preachy like MMM too, I'm not sure why so many of these FI bloggers assume that the only reason people buy nice things is because they want to impress others.  But overall I like it because it motivates me to save.  I don't agree on everything they talk about, but they do have some good actionable information -- particularly the travel rewards hacking.

congrats man - that is incredible.

ChooseFI is a decent podcast.  I think they get preachy like MMM too, I'm not sure why so many of these FI bloggers assume that the only reason people buy nice things is because they want to impress others.  But overall I like it because it motivates me to save.  I don't agree on everything they talk about, but they do have some good actionable information -- particularly the travel rewards hacking.
They can seem a bit preachy but one thing they've said multiple times is it's ok to spend money on things you value. They're against the thoughtless spending on every new widget that comes out, a problem most Americans have and then wonder why they're broke.

My wife and I have become very frugal (compared to most) since having our daughter, but still did things like eating out (for convenience not experience) 2 times a week that we've now cut out and aren't missing at all.

Yeah eating out can get pretty expensive. I get lunch four times a week, but spend less than $10 a day. We get takeout once a week, besides that it's all home cooking. I know people who eat dinner out a handful of times a week. 

Sand said:
I've really enjoyed the content coming out of:  www.earlyretirementnow.com ... the series he put together on SWR (safe withdrawal rate) is high quality stuff.

CR69 said:

Congrats. Do you find yourself making trade offs to meet that number? We've spent so much time and energy saving for retirement the last 5-10 years that I feel we may miss out on things or choose to take the cheapest option. There was some posts awhile back poking fun at Dentist for his lifestyle. I don't think his would be a good comparison because 40% of $150k still leaves plenty to live on. But if someone is making half that, it starts to come down to choosing between saving and living. 

I guess the question is, are you still happy with your lifestyle while saving that much?

I've really enjoyed the content coming out of:  www.earlyretirementnow.com ... the series he put together on SWR (safe withdrawal rate) is high quality stuff.
That's a good one.  I'll add on another couple:

GoCurryCracker - particularly the articles that he puts up every year on his taxes and tax avoidance strategies (all legal).

Portfoliocharts - great site on portfolio construction and optimization.  Beyond parallel, IMO.  

Congrats. Do you find yourself making trade offs to meet that number? We've spent so much time and energy saving for retirement the last 5-10 years that I feel we may miss out on things or choose to take the cheapest option. There was some posts awhile back poking fun at Dentist for his lifestyle. I don't think his would be a good comparison because 40% of $150k still leaves plenty to live on. But if someone is making half that, it starts to come down to choosing between saving and living. 

I guess the question is, are you still happy with your lifestyle while saving that much?
At first it was a little tough, but not at all now. We've both come to realize that sacrifices we make for the next 10-15 years is worth it if that allows us to retire early and start really enjoying our lives. I have a fairly stressful job that doesn't provide a lot of work/life balance but pays well (loan officer). 

I am NOT paying for my kid's college.  If you take the money aspect out of it for a second, think about how horrible it would be to blow a ton of money on your kid for college only to have them flake out and get nothing out of it, or major in something where there are no jobs and the degree is worthless.  That could destroy a relationship.  Not saying it would with me, but the potential is certainly there.  

If I am fortunate enough to be in a nice financial position when they are in college and I am able to help a bit, that's one thing, but mine and my wife's retirement comes first by FAR.  

Barring scholarships, I am going to do what I can to advocate for community college for two years for all the general electives that go towards 99% of the majors out there, or even some of the programs where you can get an associates in two years and start work right away, for example, as a registered nurse.  Then go back to school while working and have them pay for it.  

An education is great, but I don't think it trumps a lifetime of debt to overcome.  That, and the combination of community college, work, and then furthering your education while working (or even taking time off for accelerated programs) is also a very nice education.  

Bottom line, my kids co do whatever they want.  However, if they want MY help, they won't be going to an expensive 4 year school right out of high school, and I will be doing what I can to educate them about the risks of doing so along with the benefits of alternative routes, while telling them to read up about these things themselves.  
Our situation might be different than yours but our local community college isn't much cheaper than the local university and the University is better.  If your point is to encourage them to go inexpensive and live at home for a couple years, instead of feeling like they NEED to live in overpriced dorms, agreed.  Oops, I must have read some bad info. It is a lot cheaper. Just not as good.

Unless you are going to an IVY league school or one of the truly elite schools there is no reason to spend more money at a private college over a public university. 

Parents who think their kid needs to go to a private university to study psychology or ethnic studies are just as much to blame. 

Send your kids to a public university, save cash, and teach your kid how to actually be an adult. At the end of the day I don't think HR people think Santa Clara University is any better than San Jose State University to pick a local example.
I get what you're saying, but I won't "send my kids" anywhere.  They're going to have to choose after thoroughly discussing the options.  I'll definitely encourage public school.  Between Auburn, Alabama - Tuscaloosa, UAB and UAH, they have good options in state.  

At first it was a little tough, but not at all now. We've both come to realize that sacrifices we make for the next 10-15 years is worth it if that allows us to retire early and start really enjoying our lives. I have a fairly stressful job that doesn't provide a lot of work/life balance but pays well (loan officer). 
we're nowhere near 40% now (about 20%) but completely agreed.  It's mostly about habit.  Changing habits can be tough but once you've established those habits it's not hard. 

we're nowhere near 40% now (about 20%) but completely agreed.  It's mostly about habit.  Changing habits can be tough but once you've established those habits it's not hard. 
Something I've noticed (and mentioned about my parents) is it's hard to break those habits. When you live a frugal life for 20 years, you don't suddenly become spendy.

This is something that concerns me currently. I feel like I worry too much about money, even though I have more than I need to live comfortably.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
The astute financial advisors say don't pay for your kid's education.  Put me in that camp. If anything have them pay the first two years, I know many who have thrown money down the drain on unmotivated kids. The motivated ones are getting scholarships, just sayin. I was one of those unmotivated ones so I know. 

Keep your emotions and your financial decisions separate. :2cents:  
:yes: I think I've mentioned it before here but that's part of our plan. We might match but they'll pay part at least.

Something I've noticed (and mentioned about my parents) is it's hard to break those habits. When you live a frugal life for 20 years, you don't suddenly become spendy.

This is something that concerns me currently. I feel like I worry too much about money, even though I have more than I need to live comfortably.
Sure, but I highly doubt I'll ever wish we had spent more money on ourselves. We want to travel more but with 5 kids the biggest limitation isn't money.

Our situation might be different than yours but our local community college isn't much cheaper than the local university and the University is better.  If your point is to encourage them to go inexpensive and live at home for a couple years, instead of feeling like they NEED to live in overpriced dorms, agreed. 
There are a couple decent community colleges is reasonable driving distance from our house, and they are considerably less expensive.  I do not have the exact numbers, but I remember looking last year and the tuition was less than half, maybe 1/3, of the state schools.  

The state schools aren't really a reasonable driving distance from where we live, so with those two factors it makes it pretty clear for  me the way to go about this.  

Put me in the camp of recommending that people save as much for themselves in tax-advantaged vehicles as possible prior to investing in a child's education.  If you have the financial means to save for your child's college education after you've hit your targets - 401(k), IRAs, etc. - then by all means go for it.  It's a tremendous financial start for your child.  But IMO you should not be investing in a 529 or similar vehicle unless you've maxed out your personal options.  Just my opinion.

Edit........looks like tuition comes to about half at the community college.
Oops, I was apparently using bad info.

Tuition and fees at our closest decent community college comes to around $2500 per semester. The University is about double. So we're in basically the same position except the University is well within driving distance, I actually bike around the campus every so often.

Still, that only comes to $10k for two years and doesn't count scholarships. 

I get what you're saying, but I won't "send my kids" anywhere.  They're going to have to choose after thoroughly discussing the options.  I'll definitely encourage public school.  Between Auburn, Alabama - Tuscaloosa, UAB and UAH, they have good options in state.  
Helping you out here, GB.

We want to travel more but with 5 kids the biggest limitation isn't money.
Well, yeah, the biggest limitation is 5 KIDS.   :P

So what is the benefit of a 529?  I have money for my kids from gifts already that i want to stick somewhere for them. 
Someone can correct me if this is incorrect, but I think it's the only financial tool where you get a tax break on the deposit (state only I believe), it doesn't get taxed as it grows, and you can pull it out tax free as well. 

Everything else you get taxed on at least one of those 3 things, if not 2 of them.

Someone can correct me if this is incorrect, but I think it's the only financial tool where you get a tax break on the deposit (state only I believe), it doesn't get taxed as it grows, and you can pull it out tax free as well. 

Everything else you get taxed on at least one of those 3 things, if not 2 of them.
HSA is triple-tax-free federally (ETA - assuming a qualified withdrawal, of course).

You are correct on the treatment of the 529 otherwise.  The contribution deduction is a state-by-state rule and can vary wildly.  Some states - NY for example - only allow a tax deduction for contributions made to NY's 529 plan.  Some states allow deductions for contributions to any state's plan.  There is no federal deduction, though the growth is federally tax-free if withdrawn to pay for education expenses.

401K Question - I am too heavy in my company stock and want to rebalance.  Is it better to do it all at once or too spread it out over time, or does it matter? 

Looking at moving $50K - considering $3-5K month over 10-16 months vs just doing it today.

KCitons said:

I don't really worry about money though. I just prioritize my spending on what brings me happiness now. I do weigh everything against what that money could mean in the long run, but I certainly don't feel like I'm depriving myself. We budget $500 a month for travel, which is quite a bit when you combine that with travel hacking. 

401K Question - I am too heavy in my company stock and want to rebalance.  Is it better to do it all at once or too spread it out over time, or does it matter? 

Looking at moving $50K - considering $3-5K month over 10-16 months vs just doing it today.
People may utilize some slow transfer time based methods to move from assets from one class to another (to mitigate risk I assume), but from a purely mathematical perspective if you expect the S & P to earn 8% and your company stock to earn 5% going forward (all for example purposes) you should just move it all to maximize your return. Unless you know exactly how each will behave, in which case time it perfectly for when you expect your company stock to start performing worse.

Typically you would want to rebalance immediately but moving out of one individual stock could be a different story. If the stock is more volatile, I'd move it all now. Otherwise you're just trying to time the market.

Typically you would want to rebalance immediately but moving out of one individual stock could be a different story. If the stock is more volatile, I'd move it all now. Otherwise you're just trying to time the market.
He is de-risking and part of that is the psychological impact of throwing all that money all at once into the general market.  Nugget - what's the volatility of your company stock?  Higher or lower than the markets?  If higher I might do larger chunks sooner to de-risk.  If lower or the same stick with the plan.  In general, though, the thought Nugget has of dollar cost averaging in (and out) is fine, IMO.

How much would it 'burn' you if you transferred the money and the next week the stock rose 25%?  

If you are not the type to linger on these things, transfer it all at once.  If that would eat away at you do it on some interval

Users who are viewing this thread