What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 IDP NFL Draft Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Drake Nevis is a projectable 3-technique and on his way to Indy. Might be a nice target in DT-specific leagues down the line.

Definitely worth watching Nate Irving in Denver. Joe Mays isn't safe at MLB, and Irving might cover well enough to play every down if he wins the MLB job. Coverage will be a question mark though.
Awesome thread. Would like it if you can talk more on Irving's situation when you get a chance. I read Parcells had him ranked as a 1st-round talent. Could step in and be a starter at mike right away. Is he a 3-down type player in Fox/Allen's scheme?

Last edited by a moderator:
Akeem Dent to Atlanta. Probably not going to play every down anyway, but definitely won't in Atlanta. Base defensive SLB and will replace Mike Peterson to play alongside Weatherspoon and Lofton.

Raheem Morris on Mason Foster:

Neither Foster nor Bucs coach Raheem Morris offered a hint about where Foster would ultimately play because that is as yet undecided. But Morris said Foster is a skilled edge rusher in the mold of Dekoda Watson and Quincy Black but also is savvy in coverage, when necessary. And playing middle linebacker is not out of the question, particularly because of the free-agent status of current starter Barrett Ruud.

Morris cited that uncertainty as one of the reasons Foster was so attractive to the Bucs.

"He plays inside a little bit," Morris said. "Legitimately, you could see Mason Foster playing the (strongside) position, he can play rush end, you could see him play inside backer, you could see him play the weakside linebacker. He legitimately did it all in college on tape and that was really intriguing to us because of the uncertainty."

Martez Wilson to an immediate every down OLB role in New Orleans. About as good a fit and situation as could be hoped for him.
Wilson expects to start out at SLB. I think he'll play every down. Scott Shanle almost certainly done, especially if Jonathan Casillas is healthy enough to play the other OLB spot.
i wouldn't expect shanle to be squeezed out so easily. casillas is long on potential but short on experience. casillas might make a better slb. i could see he and wilson duking it out.

2.40 -- LB BRUCE CARTER -- Dallas Cowboys

Love Bruce Carter. Don't necessarily love the slot as I was hoping he might find his way to a 4-3 OLB role, but there's upside opposite Demarcus Ware in the long term. Can certainly never have enough pass rushers and Carter's durability is a question, but it's still an interesting development for Anthony Spencer and the other young rushers on the depth chart.

ETA: Didn't consider Carter as a 3-4 ILB. It'll be interesting to see where he eventually slots.
Clarence Hill says Carter likely to slot inside here. Lee/Carter would make for an interesting every down duo when Brooking and James move on.
So which would have the most value long-term, Lee or Carter?
Err on the side of Lee tonight as most likely to play every down WILB, but I'm sleeping on it. :)
Already wavering here. I still like Lee and Carter has to prove he can return to his former self, but I think the better lineup is Carter WILB/Lee SILB. Cowboys are talking Carter up as a strong cover player (and he can add an inside blitzing presence for Rob Ryan, too), so there's an argument that he may had a slight leg up on Lee as an every-down player if they elect to use only one every down ILB.

In the end, it won't be surprising to see both have value. A reasonable comparison might just be the Timmons/Farrior combo, with Lee a more productive player than Farrior has been over the past season or more.

It's almost assuredly very late 2011 or 2012 before we see that combination, however.

The news on Ayers may mean that Stephen Tulloch is on his way out in Tennessee. That assumes that Curran is ready to play inside and McRath is seen as an every-down OLB, too. Big assumption, but worth considering.
Wait...so all this time Will Weatherspoon was a backup @.@Dude, I need to cut the dead weight

Definitely worth watching Nate Irving in Denver. Joe Mays isn't safe at MLB, and Irving might cover well enough to play every down if he wins the MLB job. Coverage will be a question mark though.
Awesome thread. Would like it if you can talk more on Irving's situation when you get a chance. I read Parcells had him ranked as a 1st-round talent. Could step in and be a starter at mike right away. Is he a 3-down type player in Fox/Allen's scheme?
Good question! My vibe is no, he won't be a 3 down player being such a liability in coverage. Good instincts for a MLB but not athletic enough to play on 3rd down.

The news on Ayers may mean that Stephen Tulloch is on his way out in Tennessee. That assumes that Curran is ready to play inside and McRath is seen as an every-down OLB, too. Big assumption, but worth considering.
every Titans fan loves Tulloch, but he could be a sacrifice to the cba (or maybe Munch doesn't like him at all)
Would LOVE him to reunite with Schwartz in Detroit.

Jene,

I've been hearing rumblings that the Titans maybe be switching to a 4-3/3-4 hybrid and possibly getting into position to go to a 3-4? How do you think their current talent would do in a 3-4? I think Jason Jones would be a good DE in the 3-4, and the the DT they drafted out of USC could potentially play the nose...a little undersized but he is short and stout like Mike Patterson.

Ayers makes a great 3-4 outside linebacker I would think. He has great coverage skills and can also rush the passer.

The question I would have is whether that would work with their number 1 pick from a year ago Derrick Morgan?

In any event, the tape I watched on Ayers was conflicting. I saw one video of his highlights and he looked like a Bulluck clone. Fast, great in coverage. Then I saw a video that had a bunch of plays where he was out of position and late on the tackle.

Bit of a surprise at the ILB progression:

1. Nate Irving at #67 (DEN)

2. Kelvin Sheppard # 68 (BUF)

3. Martez Wilson #72 (NOS)

4. Mason Foster #84 (TBB)

5. Akeem Dent #91 (ATL)

Foster is listed as an OLB in most publications; his NFL draft ticker shows him as an ILB.

I'll get around to comparing this list against the needs list posted, earlier, to see if there's any correlation to value.

Elephant in the room Q's:

1. Why DEN-Irving as the #1 ILB? DEN obviously wanted this guy at this spot so they must know something that no one else did as most evaluators slotted Irving as the #5 ILB.

2. Foster seems to be at a good landing place in TBB as there's some Q about the incumbent ILB's leaving in free agency....so, that appears to be a good pick for TBB.

3. Is Wilson a starter, day one in NOS? That appears as a likely possibility.

4. BUF-Sheppard? Same as #3, above?

I have no clue as to Dent's progonosis.

For sure likely starters: Irving, Wilson, Sheppard?

:tumbleweed:

I think you hit on the pertinent questions. He'll have to beat out Joe Mays, but I think he's definitely capable of that. I have the same coverage concerns, but Irving is the kind of talent that might be able to be coached up there. He was taken early enough that the team is likely to give him a chance to succeed as an every-down guy.There wasn't anything specific noted in the press conferences yesterday about the coverage angle, though. We'll see.

Jene,

I've been hearing rumblings that the Titans maybe be switching to a 4-3/3-4 hybrid and possibly getting into position to go to a 3-4? How do you think their current talent would do in a 3-4? I think Jason Jones would be a good DE in the 3-4, and the the DT they drafted out of USC could potentially play the nose...a little undersized but he is short and stout like Mike Patterson.

Ayers makes a great 3-4 outside linebacker I would think. He has great coverage skills and can also rush the passer.

The question I would have is whether that would work with their number 1 pick from a year ago Derrick Morgan?

In any event, the tape I watched on Ayers was conflicting. I saw one video of his highlights and he looked like a Bulluck clone. Fast, great in coverage. Then I saw a video that had a bunch of plays where he was out of position and late on the tackle.
Some of the comments yesterday read like an Elephant like hybrid and the talk of using Jones at end makes sense there, too. There's also some 46 in the background too I think. I think we'll hear more on that if/when free agency opens up. If they keep Tulloch with this group, it'll be interesting to see how they line up.

Titans just took Colin McCarthy, another linebacker. Very versatile linebacker. 2 linebackers for Titans is screaming a switch to a scheme change for sure. Titans have a lot of needs, but I LOVE them focusing on defense.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be in and out all afternoon, but I'll keep this thread as updated as I can. Really appreciate all the added thoughts and discussion this morning. This is shaping up to be a muddled picture for sure with the backers and potentially the safeties as well.

Looking forward to sifting through the pieces later tonight and having some preliminary rankings up tomorrow.

Early in the 4th round...

Not sure I like the opportunity for KJ Wright in Seattle. They needed depth, but Wright doesn't project as an immediate starter.

Christian Ballard will be the heir to the 3-technique job held by Kevin Williams in Minnesota.

Quniton Carter joins Rahim Moore as the new Denver starters. That's definitely not good news for Darcel McBath in the long term. I think Carter becomes a nice DB3+ target as the likely SS, again with the expectation that there'll be some interchangeable packages there.

The Titans are piling up solid linebacker talent now. Colin McCarthy has to be seen as a strong indication that the team is planning a shakeup on the depth chart. Jerry Gray wasn't too forthcoming last night, but hopefully we'll hear a little more in the Q&A after this pick.

Missed Sam Acho who might end up dropping down to DE at times, but likely starts as a rush OLB there. And Da'Norris Searcy adds to a pretty deep depth chart at safety in Buffalo. Not likely to start right away, but could eventually fit at SS.

Casey Matthews to Philadelphia. Slots to WLB here with Chaney/Bradley better options inside. Ernie Sims should be looking over this shoulder.

Casey Matthews to Philadelphia. Slots to WLB here with Chaney/Bradley better options inside. Ernie Sims should be looking over this shoulder.
Forgot that the Eagles didn't tender Sims. Matthews may also threaten to steal some subpackage snaps from Chaney, especially if the Eagles use less dime this year.

Falcons GM noted that Akeem Dent looks like a backup Mike backer, but will mostly contribute on special tams for now. Bloom and I had a brief discussion about whether the Falcons might move Lofton outside, but I can't see that happening.

Wondering why no Sturdivant, Quan or Jones, Gregg yet?
My guess is that those teams looking for backers don't like them in coverage (questionable) or think the others offer more special teams help.Jones is surprising, though. Jacksonville and the Giants ought to be looking at him, I'd think.

Might be some value for Robert Sands at safety for Cincinnati. Not going to beat out Chris Crocker this year and may end up as more of a free safety despite his size, but put him on your long term watch lists.

Shiloh Keo deserves immediate consideration as a SS prospect for Houston. Don't see that he's clearly better in coverage than Pollard, though, and he's very unlikely to be as dynamic a playmaker.

Every year, there's an interesting slide late. DeAndre McDaniel, Greg Jones and Quan Sturdivant still on the board.

Mark Legree to the Seahawks. At first glance, there's not much to see in a 5th rounder who slots to FS. But he gets high marks for his ball skills and ability to play field general. Might be worth monitoring this situation to see if the Seahawks see him as a long term FS/interchangeable cover S option, with Earl Thomas playing more in the box. Still think Kam Chancellor plays in the box this year for Carroll, but it's worth considering.

And Doug Hogue has issues, but could be a long term solution at WLB for Detroit. Still think it's more likely that we'll see a FA signing, with Levy moving to WLB.

Jene, who are your top 5 IDPs?
Hoping to have IDP rankings and a tier discussion ready for tomorrow afternoon. Targeting an early week release of the oombined offense-IDP draft board feature.First thoughts are that Sheard, Quinn and Clayborn will be the top three DL and Jarrett and Carter at DB. Linebacker is wide open for now, but Irving and Wilson look like the leaders in the immediate opportunity with talent clubhouse.

Not sure why Greg Jones fell to the 6th round (speed and athleticism were a question, but he looked like a consensus 3rd-4th rounder) and the Giants seem to like Jonathan Goff, but Jones is really interesting in New York. Uphill road and some work to do in coverage, but could be a player to watch at MLB (alongside Dillard).

Hey Gene I don't see that the Cardinals drafted an OLB very high if at all. I think they drafted a ILB after the 3rd sometime in there. So does that mean they are somewhat happy about what O'Brien Schofield could provide for them this year?

Not sure why Greg Jones fell to the 6th round (speed and athleticism were a question, but he looked like a consensus 3rd-4th rounder) and the Giants seem to like Jonathan Goff, but Jones is really interesting in New York. Uphill road and some work to do in coverage, but could be a player to watch at MLB (alongside Dillard).
I think the drafting of Jones is going to be the end of Dillard in NY

I don't see that the Cardinals drafted an OLB very high if at all. I think they drafted a ILB after the 3rd sometime in there. So does that mean they are somewhat happy about what O'Brien Schofield could provide for them this year?
They drafted Sam Acho (pick 103) and Quan Sturdivant (pick 171), both outside linebackers. Acho was a DE in college.edit: Just read that Sturdivant will likely play inside because Hayes is expected to be released.

What round should Colin McCarthy be taken in a 14 team IDP league?
I'd begin considering him in the late second (if you feel certain he'll start at MLB) and would definitely be ready to grab him ahead of the fourth tier WRs, Mallett, etc by the end of the third, early fourth.

What are your thoughts on Jags' draft choice Chris Prosinski(FS, Wyoming? I know he was clocked at 4.39 in one Pro Day but there seems to be a disconnect between the jags' trading up to get him the 4th when it seems a lot of people had 6th round or later (or UDFA).

I've seen the youtube clips on him. Were there any negatives besides the level of opposition?

What are your thoughts on Jags' draft choice Chris Prosinski(FS, Wyoming? I know he was clocked at 4.39 in one Pro Day but there seems to be a disconnect between the jags' trading up to get him the 4th when it seems a lot of people had 6th round or later (or UDFA).I've seen the youtube clips on him. Were there any negatives besides the level of opposition?
Much better fit at FS. Most scouting reports share concerns about his ability to play in the box (won't get off blocks, struggles in trash, etc), though have some praise for his tackling. Seems more of a threat to Don Carey than Courtney Greene for now.

I see in your draft tiering you have Jabaal Sheard and Quinn rate in the same tier. Who has more upside in a tackle heavy league?

I see in your draft tiering you have Jabaal Sheard and Quinn rate in the same tier. Who has more upside in a tackle heavy league?
Depends on how sure you are that Quinn hits a 12-14 sack ceiling. I'm not convinced he tops 40 solos until 2012, if then, otherwise. If you think he can, Quinn's pass rush upside gives him the nod. Otherwise Sheard is the slightly higher ceiling, much higher floor 2011 bet.Bowers will be the answer if and when he shows himself in any kind of NFL ready form. He doesn't have Quinn's explosiveness, but he's the best all-around prospect in the draft if 95-100% healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread