What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is David Ortiz a HOFer (1 Viewer)

Finless

Footballguy
He's put a pretty good together. Seven All Star appearances. Five top 5 finishes in MVP voting. 4 Silver Sluggers. 2 WS Rings.

Undeniable post-season greatness...as clutch as they come. Game winning homers and hits all over the place.

5 top 3 finishes in slugging

6 top 5 finishes in OPS

Lead the league in RBI twice and a slew of other categories. Once again, one of the most clutch hitters we've ever seen.

His best bet is to keep playing long enough so the BBWAA steroid moralists grow bored with their stance.

I don't see it. I'd put in McGriff before Ortiz, and McGriff got only about 17% of the vote this year, and was down.

I'm a known Sox homer.... I'm a pretty damn big Ortiz fan. Hell no.
Interesting. I'm a diehard Yankees fan and I'd say Ortiz is a HOFer except for one big problem: ROIDS. It's a shame, because he's likely clean now and still hitting a clutch .300+ with power. But there's no way he gets in with the roid connections. No way.

If it weren't for the fact he was dh only, he'd have a pretty decent shot.

He finished in the top 5 for MVP 5 times - E. Martinez & F. McGriff only did this once.

Ortiz's post season numbers are actually about the same as McGriff. Ortiz is 35, and if he plays 4-5 more years, he could end up with 475 hrs (top 35 all time), 1500 rbi's (top 50 all time), has a career 920 ops, some pretty decent other numbers too. He also seems to get along well with fans and media (not that this is necessarily a hof indicator, but it doesn't hurt)

I'd say strong borderline case, ultimately no.

I think the biggest thing in his favor is his playoff work. Many think he was the main reason the Sox turned around a near century of World Series failure with his performance in game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.

That was an epoch-turning effort.

(plus he has the overall numbers to compare with other HOFers, minus the defense work)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the biggest thing in his favor is his playoff work. Many think he was the main reason the Sox turned around a near century of World Series failure with his performance in game 4 of the 2004 ALCS. That was an epoch-turning effort.(plus he has the overall numbers to compare with other HOFers, minus the defense work)
In a how much one positively impacts the game of baseball sort of way, Ortiz would be a very strong candidate.

If he had a productive first half of his career, he'd have very impressive numbers by now. As of his age 26 season, his OPS was just over .800 and he didn't hit his 100th HR until age 28. HoF voters won't ignore the fact that his career breakout coincided with his positive steroid test in 2003.

His best bet is to keep playing long enough so the BBWAA steroid moralists grow bored with their stance.
What about the people who think he's only half a baseball player?
If Big Papi is a half, the whole player would belong in the Hall as the only 500 lbs player to ever make the bigs.
I suspect a 500 lb baseball player could do most of the things Papi does, including putting half his body directly over home plate and then whining when people throw at him. And a 500 lb guy would definitely beat him around the bases after a home run.

'Eephus said:
If he had a productive first half of his career, he'd have very impressive numbers by now. As of his age 26 season, his OPS was just over .800 and he didn't hit his 100th HR until age 28. HoF voters won't ignore the fact that his career breakout coincided with his positive steroid test in 2003.
True, but there will be a time when the voters are forced to disect the careers of the steriod era (those accused/proven), and at some point the ones who may trickle in, will be the ones who thrived once they were clean again. Not necessarily fair (what if McGwire did what he did at 31 versus 37 and once he was off he excelled), but I do believe a few of these guys will have a shot and it will be the ones who proved they could still play at a high level while clean (again), versus those who made a career on the stuff at the end of their careers.

I think the biggest thing in his favor is his playoff work. Many think he was the main reason the Sox turned around a near century of World Series failure with his performance in game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.

That was an epoch-turning effort.

(plus he has the overall numbers to compare with other HOFers, minus the defense work)
I was in attendance. Drove all the way down from Montreal where I had spent the night before. Was crazy, I was in a bar during game three smoking a an overpriced Montecristo and saw some gaudy score from afar. I couldn't see what team had all the runs but I assumed it was Boston. Coming off a pummeling in the Bronx, they had to get home and put it on the stripes....WRONG! I was so disappointed. When I got to Fenway with my two ####ty right field box seats that I waited about 7 hours on the phone to get there were season ticket holders selling seats for half price. People were so pissed off they refused to go to the game. You could practically get tickets for free. They were everywhere. When Ortiz hit the Homer in the 13th (?) it went right by my head it seemed. It was cold and drizzly that night...completely miserable. Even though we were down 3-0 I felt there was a chance. I know I did because my anxiety was so strong. Great ball game to attend. Historic. I also got to see my beloved team win the World Series in 2007. I live a somewhat charmed life. Was also at the Brady tuck rule game.

Ortiz has a lot of post season heroics. He is loved by everyone in the game. Is completely cool with the media which carries more weight than you may think. He's had some amazing seasons. His steroid use went over like a blip on the radar. I know it's a stretch but if he plays a few more season at the level he's playing at now, he has to get in. Has a DH not ever been voted in?

He's pretty damn good, I'll tell you that.

Not sure if he's more or less deserving than Edgar. That's a tough one. And I'm not sure how being linked to PEDs might affect things.

But he deserves legitimate consideration, and I say this as someone who can't stand the guy.

As I type this, Mike Francesa is telling us that Ortiz has no shot at the Hall of Fame.

Which means that they can go ahead and start working on the plaque that shady will never see.

Feel like I've posted this before, but without the steroids stuff his numbers are borderline. WITH that, he has no shot before the other steroid guys (or rumored steroid guys) like Palmeiro, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Clemens, Bagwell, Piazza, etc.

Feel like I've posted this before, but without the steroids stuff his numbers are borderline. WITH that, he has no shot before the other steroid guys (or rumored steroid guys) like Palmeiro, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Clemens, Bagwell, Piazza, etc.
Well, he will be coming up for nomination like 10 years after some of those guys, so I am not sure how relevant they are. Just a guess, but he will be coming up with the likes of juicers ARod, Giambi, Tejada, Manny though

Well, he will be coming up for nomination like 10 years after some of those guys, so I am not sure how relevant they are. Just a guess, but he will be coming up with the likes of juicers ARod, Giambi, Tejada, Manny though
There will probably still be a PEDs/HoF backlog five years after his retirement. He's been good and famous enough to stick on the ballot so his candidacy will get debated over the years of eligibility. Who knows what will happen 20+ years out :shrug:

Yeah but Giambi and Tejada aren't HOFers anyway. He'll also be on the ballot with presumed clean guys like Jeter, Rivera, Griffey, Chipper, Ichiro, etc. I think without the juice, he'd have an outside shot. But with the steroid implications, he'd need to have put up transcendent stats (a la McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Clemens) to get consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread