What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (3 Viewers)

He is relaxing by the pool getting some much needed R&R.  Mrs. Foos will just have to live without the Tipsy this time and just go with all the meats.

Should I have her ask for just the Tipsy when she gets to the counter?
I went in there with a group and asked the bartender if Tipsy was in.  Complete blank stare so I follow it up with Tipsy McStagger, like that would help.  She had that thousand yard stare like when someone's talking to you at a party but you're thinking that you're going to have to cut the lawn tomorrow before it rains, maybe get a haircut, squeeze in an oil change if you can.

Ask for the owner, ask for McClure, but don't ask for Tipsy  :lmao:

The first time I met him was at Dante's. We had a ressie and when we approached the hostess stand I asked if Tipsy McStagger was around? She looked at me and brightened up and just said, "are you a footballguy?" 

"Yep", we received a great table, service and the Tipster treated us to a cocktail!

I went in there with a group and asked the bartender if Tipsy was in.  Complete blank stare so I follow it up with Tipsy McStagger, like that would help.  She had that thousand yard stare like when someone's talking to you at a party but you're thinking that you're going to have to cut the lawn tomorrow before it rains, maybe get a haircut, squeeze in an oil change if you can.

Ask for the owner, ask for McClure, but don't ask for Tipsy  :lmao:
And ask at the food counter, not the bar.  The bar is a different business.

Lol...yeah.... Mcclure works.   Or Neil.

I have been gone for a bit.   Ran the place with as few staff as I dare too from last August until recently.   Like me and 5 employees.    I was stretched thin for sure.

Why so lean you ask?   Because not having drink sales on the bottom line and a vicious debt loop to boot is difficult to balance.   I have been able to hire a couple of part timers, including two returning staff, recently so that has helped.   Had a busy spring... hopefully the summer weather will be kinder than last year.

Because of the overload though I am stepping back from any competition stuff for a bit.   Cooking bbq on the days off just isn't very fun wedged in between 80+ hour weeks.   

Brighter notes:.  My process w the meat has been yielding better bbq.   I love that I'm still learning.

And the brewery changed ownership percentages around leaving a new guy at the top who has done good things so far imho.  They are still feeling the pinch though of nine other breweries opening in the last few years making it a somewhat crowded market all of the sudden after they were the only one here (not including Abita...I mean inside Nola itself)

[icon] said:
Tipsy is alive and well just really really worn out. Insanely busy stretch with Hogs and Memphis in May sandwiched in.. then a 90+ hour week immediately after MIM. 

Hes spent but it appears rest is on the horizon. 

@tipsy mcstagger may check in with an update 
Memphis was a blast again.  Love how Football guys brought me into y'all's world.  @icon @sbonomo have become good buds.   I'm going to miss the team, but I have to take off for a bit.

Now taking offers to move my family & my restaurant to whatever mountain town you want me in.   I can't take this freaking heat anymore.
I sometimes wonder what people down south think of us northerners when we get a “heat wave”. It’s been all over the news here every day since last Thursday...  we’re in a heatwave, stay cool, etc. reality is it’s been in the mid-90’s here for three days now but for all the hoopla they make out of it, one would think we’re in Texas. 

I sometimes wonder what people down south think of us northerners when we get a “heat wave”. It’s been all over the news here every day since last Thursday...  we’re in a heatwave, stay cool, etc. reality is it’s been in the mid-90’s here for three days now but for all the hoopla they make out of it, one would think we’re in Texas. 
It's hotter up there than it is down here in Houston.  We expect this weather every year, and we are prepared.  Not so much for you folks.

It's hotter up there than it is down here in Houston.  We expect this weather every year, and we are prepared.  Not so much for you folks.
As a coastal FL transplant after 25+ years in Houston I ALWAYS get the question about how I handle the heat.  Shoot, 90+ with a seabreeze is a cakewalk compared to Houston.  The best breeze I got there was from the cars going by on 1960.

As a coastal FL transplant after 25+ years in Houston I ALWAYS get the question about how I handle the heat.  Shoot, 90+ with a seabreeze is a cakewalk compared to Houston.  The best breeze I got there was from the cars going by on 1960.
True.  But here over near Sugar Land, we get an almost constant breeze.  Also, it's always 78 degrees when you have good AC.

True.  But here over near Sugar Land, we get an almost constant breeze.  Also, it's always 78 degrees when you have good AC.
McStagger bedroom is set to 60 degrees.   And yes...I have a window unit in there since the central would never get my room that cold.

Houston is as bad as NOLA if not a little worse.   Well...a lot worse...its in Texas....land of terrible bbq. 🤪

tipsy mcstagger said:
McStagger bedroom is set to 60 degrees.   And yes...I have a window unit in there since the central would never get my room that cold.

Houston is as bad as NOLA if not a little worse.   Well...a lot worse...its in Texas....land of terrible bbq. 🤪
You know them's fightin' words.  We could get banned for arguing religion.

Sixty degrees is a meat locker.  Central air can do that if you have good insulation and windows with the UVA/B baked right in.  Of course, you pay out the wazoo.

McClure's Barbecue shirt spotted in... downtown Provincetown, MA.  For those not aware, it's the very tip of Cape Cod.  Between the fact that I don't know @tipsy mcstagger real name, the whole "I'm Mr. Pickles from the Internet," thing and other potential awkwardness, I didn't strike up a conversation. But thought I'd report in here that the guerilla marketing is on track and spreading far.  

McClure's Barbecue shirt spotted in... downtown Provincetown, MA.  For those not aware, it's the very tip of Cape Cod.  Between the fact that I don't know @tipsy mcstagger real name, the whole "I'm Mr. Pickles from the Internet," thing and other potential awkwardness, I didn't strike up a conversation. But thought I'd report in here that the guerilla marketing is on track and spreading far.  
Man, wish I had one of those shirts. Are they still for sale anywhere?  I think @iconposted a link a while back. 

Maybe? 

Last edited by a moderator:
BBQ, Viet-Thai pop up in works for 8/13...1st draft menu:

Grilled Shrimp Spring Rolls
Vermicelli Noodles, Thai Basil, Mint, Peanut Dipping Sauce

Viet-Thai Wings
Smoked & Fried Wings tossed with Citrus Fish Sauce, Maple, Chili Sauce, Cilantro

Fried Sticky Ribs
Smoked & Fried Pork Ribs, Asian BBQ Sauce, Sesame Seeds, Green Onions

BBQ Bánh Mì
Smoked Hogshead Cheese, Pulled Pork, Pickled Daikon & Carrots, Cilantro, Jalapeno, Cucumber, Sriracha Mayo, and Asian BBQ Sauce

Veggie Bánh Mì
Stir Fried Chinese Eggplant & Bokchoy, Pickled Daikon & Carrots, Cilantro, Jalapeno, Cucumbers, Sriracha Mayo, and Asian BBQ Sauce

Brisket Phở
Smoked Brisket, Beef Broth, Cilantro, Green Onions, Thai Basil, Bean Sprouts, Vermicelli Noodles, Limes, Hoisin, Sriracha

Vietnamese Noodle Bowl
Smoked Chicken, Vermicelli Noodles, Pickled Daikon & Carrots, Cilantro, Cucumber, Viet Chili Sauce

BBQ, Viet-Thai pop up in works for 8/13...1st draft menu:

Grilled Shrimp Spring Rolls
Vermicelli Noodles, Thai Basil, Mint, Peanut Dipping Sauce

Viet-Thai Wings
Smoked & Fried Wings tossed with Citrus Fish Sauce, Maple, Chili Sauce, Cilantro

Fried Sticky Ribs
Smoked & Fried Pork Ribs, Asian BBQ Sauce, Sesame Seeds, Green Onions

BBQ Bánh Mì
Smoked Hogshead Cheese, Pulled Pork, Pickled Daikon & Carrots, Cilantro, Jalapeno, Cucumber, Sriracha Mayo, and Asian BBQ Sauce

Veggie Bánh Mì
Stir Fried Chinese Eggplant & Bokchoy, Pickled Daikon & Carrots, Cilantro, Jalapeno, Cucumbers, Sriracha Mayo, and Asian BBQ Sauce

Brisket Phở
Smoked Brisket, Beef Broth, Cilantro, Green Onions, Thai Basil, Bean Sprouts, Vermicelli Noodles, Limes, Hoisin, Sriracha

Vietnamese Noodle Bowl
Smoked Chicken, Vermicelli Noodles, Pickled Daikon & Carrots, Cilantro, Cucumber, Viet Chili Sauce
Dammitall.  Mr R would just go Godzilla over this.

@tipsy mcstagger: i'm tagging along with my wife & some of her colleagues as she attends a conference in NOLA. we'll be arriving the evening of tuesday 9/17 and leaving sunday 9/22. what are the best dates to visit McClures during that period? based on your schedule/knowledge, is there any date/time that you recommend recommend we avoid? looking forward to it. thanks.

@tipsy mcstagger A buddy of mine was in Nola last week - was there to do business with some guys from Tobasco. He is in the food business and I recommended he visit McClure's. He ate at various places (many very well known) and said that your food was the highlight of their week. Showed me a picture of the all meat/all sides they ordered. Said your ribs were unbelievable and your greens were the best he's ever eaten. "As soon as I could tell he got his sides right, I knew the rest was going to be awesome." 

Nice job!

I would love to proudly wear one of those glorious t-shirts here in Little Rock whenever you have time to send them out - just let me know how much and I'll paypal you.  

We ended up going for an early dinner to McClures. Unfortunate luck: no tipsy present when we were there but they said he was earlier. 

Food was excellent. My group thanked me for the recommendation. 

Decisions time: 

The writing seems to be on the wall....this isn't working out here where drink profits are not part of my bottom line....which are needed for the ridiculous debt I incurred to get rid of my 1st investor/so-called partner.  Even the potential failure of McBbq is worth that choice...he was a bad call on my over-eager-to-open ###.  But... something has to give now.  Im bleeding to death cash flow wise and am literally working myself to death to keep that from happening.   

Now what?   

1. Bank loan with less aggressive payments than what im stuck in now.   Would definitely stabilize me if i could payback  this chunk over a longer period than current terms.  Not super hopeful this happens...but trying.

2. Looking at major menu change with much lower food and labor costs..bbq being the worst of both of those.  Or

3.  bankruptcy and no freaking clue whats next.   Id rather not go here, but im aware its a possibility.

Please don't call or reach out right now.  Not feeling to chatty but had to get this off my chest.  Haven't wanted to share too much of the ugly side of this biz in this thread, but i need the sounding board that is the FFA.  If you are one of my locals i really need your discretion on bringing this up.   

Sigh.  Thanks for listening.  And the years of support.  

I have zero business knowledge, but just want to say good luck

Your thread has been awesome to follow and it is actually the sole reason my wife booked a trip for us to go to New Orleans. We enjoyed it. Not only was your food AWESOME, but that chicken under a brick at Dantes was fantastic as well 

I hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you. You are very good at what you do and deserve to stick around. 

Sorry to hear, Tipsy.  Hope you can get something worked out, partly for selfish reasons as I think we're finally going to make it down there in March.

(Meaning NO in general - my wife's cousin lives there - but would love to be able to check out whatever you've got going while we're there)

Is the liquor license the big reason you didn't keep the place on Magazine and went with the brewery location?
The neighbors sued me and eventually shut down the smokers. ...the dayvthe brewery wanted to have me cook a pig which led our partnerahip.   Which has been great honestly.  If not for the crippling debt loop, i wouldn't be saying any of this.

Hate to hear this, GB.  Just know, you've got lots of supporters here. I don't want to press because it seems like you're trying to vent but if you ever want to brainstorm I think there are a bunch of us here willing.  Sounds to me like this ex-partner/shylock is the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread