What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (1 Viewer)

I was supposed to be served by yesterday...didn't happen. I'm not exactly hard to find.....

My lawyer put together a form affidavit saying my smoke wasn't ruining lives for all the other neighbors on the block to sign & her notarize....I invited folks thinking maybe 4 would actually show.....try 25 and a few of the other business owners. It was humbling to have that support.

And lawyers are talking. My landlord is being made aware today he gets on board with our counter proposal to these condo folk or he risks a very expensive lawsuit from my llc. It remains to be determined if he will live up to that....he can be a bigger hot head than anyone ive ever met outside of my dad.
:thumbsup:

I was supposed to be served by yesterday...didn't happen. I'm not exactly hard to find.....
It's not at all uncommon for a plaintiff to delay service, sometimes right up to the statutory limit. It's most common in personal injury suits, but you shouldn't read anything into it here.
Delaying seems frivolous to me. Obviously they are not serious in their claim.

There was a similar lawsuit in SF about a bacon restaurant and neighbors who complained about the smell of bacon. The neighbors were basically put in their place by the city and told to suck it up. Hopefully NO has a similar attitude and tells these people where they can take their lawsuit.
:jawdrop:

My lawyer put together a form affidavit saying my smoke wasn't ruining lives for all the other neighbors on the block to sign & her notarize....I invited folks thinking maybe 4 would actually show.....try 25 and a few of the other business owners. It was humbling to have that support.

And lawyers are talking. My landlord is being made aware today he gets on board with our counter proposal to these condo folk or he risks a very expensive lawsuit from my llc. It remains to be determined if he will live up to that....he can be a bigger hot head than anyone ive ever met outside of my dad.
Good to hear. :thumbup:

From my days as a reporter, I learned that it's never a news story when someone says they're going to sue. It's only news when the suit is actually filed. You'd be amazed at how often these threatened lawsuits vanish into thin air. A lot of times it's just an intimidation tactic - for example, since no suit has been filed yet, how did the reporter know about it? Because the plaintiffs picked up the phone and called her. It always annoys me when reporters write about a threatened lawsuit, because at that point all they're doing is carrying the plaintiffs' water for them.

I hate litigious a-holes, so when I used to get those calls, I loved saying, "Call me back when you actually sue, and maybe I'll write about it then."

Good news on the top side there. Hopefully your landlord gets in the boat and picks up an oar.

Glllll GB. :( Sending good mojo your way from all your fans here in Memphis.

Just wondering... is this really about the neighbors and smoke, or is there another restaurant either nearby or another BBQ in the same niche who simply wants to do away with the competition?

From my days as a reporter, I learned that it's never a news story when someone says they're going to sue. It's only news when the suit is actually filed. You'd be amazed at how often these threatened lawsuits vanish into thin air. A lot of times it's just an intimidation tactic - for example, since no suit has been filed yet, how did the reporter know about it? Because the plaintiffs picked up the phone and called her. It always annoys me when reporters write about a threatened lawsuit, because at that point all they're doing is carrying the plaintiffs' water for them.

I hate litigious a-holes, so when I used to get those calls, I loved saying, "Call me back when you actually sue, and maybe I'll write about it then."
Not being served isn't the same as a suit not being filed. As I understand it, the suit has been filed, but Tipsey (and possibly his co-defendant) have not been served. The plaintiffs would have 90 days to serve them according to the Louisiana rules.

My favorite activity when starting a lawsuit: go check out the Facebook pages of the litigants and take screen shots whenever they discuss what's going on with the suit. Especially when they say things like "we don't really care about the smoke, we just want our parking spaces back." Or something similar.

Couldn't keep my hands off Mrs. Karpis last night...climbed into bed and went for an orange dot.

Mrs. Karpis told me she had never seen me quite so frivolous.

they are dealing with my landlord....he is very aggressive and made more than one enemy over the years. he handled this very poorly. the condo owners are upset...but the facts are they have an parking lot that is illegal and the city said must be changed.

if i were the condo owner i would be mad at this landlord too. he has no tact.
Bump... the original issue was a battle with the condos over some parking spaces IIRC. From there it's spiraled into a grudge match.

Good luck GB. Sounds like they were just waiving their arms around and making loud noises.

Good news on the top side there. Hopefully your landlord gets in the boat and picks up an oar.

Glllll GB. :( Sending good mojo your way from all your fans here in Memphis across America.
FYP

are lawyers are all speaking at least.

I am installing a homemade scrubber on friday.

a gang of civil, environmental, and mechanical engineers is proposing an better one ....because they like the challenge of it and my bbq....

still haven't been served....court date was supposed to be tomorrow. If they refile than they will serve my lawyer I am sure.

What is a scrubber
Basically a device that attaches to Tipsy's effluent smoke discharge and cleans or "scrubs" the air of any evidence of his cooking. They're most commonly employed in chemical plants, etc. Basically a travesty to put on a pit in TX but perhaps necessary in other less BBQ centric areas.

Man...the FFA can find a way to argue over just about anything...it never surprises.

As for this suit...I can see it. I know I'd sue if a BBQ joint opened up next to me and I've got to smell that all the time.

But my suit would be easily settled out of court for a free BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich at least once a week.

wondering if you can create a smoke amplifier, so you can double or triple the amount of meaty goodness smelling for more of your neighbors, probably increase sales by similar amounts as well

wondering if you can create a smoke amplifier, so you can double or triple the amount of meaty goodness smelling for more of your neighbors, probably increase sales by similar amounts as well
Better yet, the scrubber removes the goodness from the smoke. You extract the goodness from the scrubber and start marketing it!

Perhaps by infusing the smell in your online t-shirt sales? Or for a completely new revenue stream :excited:

Ok....i'm very liberal ...almost a hippie (ok...i am a hippie). Same with my sister. So while she was dining with George W. Bush and posing for photos with him & such.....here in New Orleans the radio talk show closest to Rush Oxyconlimbaugh was spending a couple of hours defending my case over the radio waves. I even heard "They must be Muslim Vegans" and nearly shat myself.

I'm in an uber reality bubble right now. :smh:

Do you know why BBQs and smokers smell so good after you fire them up? Because you're not constantly smelling them.

Ok....i'm very liberal ...almost a hippie (ok...i am a hippie). Same with my sister. So while she was dining with George W. Bush and posing for photos with him & such.....here in New Orleans the radio talk show closest to Rush Oxyconlimbaugh was spending a couple of hours defending my case over the radio waves. I even heard "They must be Muslim Vegans" and nearly shat myself.

Free press is GOOD mmmmmkay?!

Free press is GOOD mmmmmkay?!
You can still feel icky about it though.

Just read about the lawsuit, sorry to hear about your legal troubles. Hopefully you'll win and all this publicity ends up being a positive in the end.

So bummed I missed out on going to your place when my family and I were in NO year before last. We just headed out on another extended trip a couple months and should be coming to NO some time this winter, we wont miss you the second time through.

Good luck

I was contacted by the local paper the Time Picayune this week. I haven't been served yet, but it seems my neighbors are suing me over the smoker, and my landlord for illegally allowing me to lease this space without their approval and other various perceived infractions. I am not saying more until after I speak with my lawyer says I can say anything. I had no comment for the paper which I think is how I will keep it here for now. Sorry I cannot be more forthcoming.....

I do ask that no nefarious action be taken on my behalf. I know pranks sound funny....but these folks are trying to ruin my life right now and I need yall to not poke the hornets nest.
So when the smoker is running, is the smoke going up into the sky or is it billowing into people's yards? Do they have a legitimate health concern or is it more of an "eyesore"? If it's not a health concern, and it's not because the smoke from the smoker is an "eyesore" are they saying the smell is invading their property? :lmao:

I drove past a bbq shack today and the smell caught my eyes nose and I started to look around at where that goodness was coming from. :porked:

Last edited by a moderator:
They all complain in their affidavits that I'm causing leaves to die and fall in large numbers. Just like the other trees around me, down the street, out in the other areas of town too. Powerful stuff that McClure smoke is. One tiny branch bears the burden of the heat & smoke. It is nearly the size of my upper torso and probably had 76 or 77 leaves on it before I started.

They are also complaining that I am open 7 days a week. And that grease trucks have to come by and suck out my grease drum and the dreaded grease trap cleaning once every 6 weeks. And that I have trash. And that I lied to the city by not declaring I was going to smoke meats.

......breathing......

the lawyers are still talking. my landlord continues to resist at every turn he can. the neighbors continue to shoot evil looks my way.

and we continue to move forward with construction of a giant water bong type device to filter the smoke.

They all complain in their affidavits that I'm causing leaves to die and fall in large numbers. Just like the other trees around me, down the street, out in the other areas of town too. Powerful stuff that McClure smoke is. One tiny branch bears the burden of the heat & smoke. It is nearly the size of my upper torso and probably had 76 or 77 leaves on it before I started.

They are also complaining that I am open 7 days a week. And that grease trucks have to come by and suck out my grease drum and the dreaded grease trap cleaning once every 6 weeks. And that I have trash. And that I lied to the city by not declaring I was going to smoke meats.

......breathing......

the lawyers are still talking. my landlord continues to resist at every turn he can. the neighbors continue to shoot evil looks my way.

and we continue to move forward with construction of a giant water bong type device to filter the smoke.
Is this last part premature...and admitting you are at fault?

......breathing......

I don't think it is an admission of guilt. It should only help his cause if this ever goes to court to show that he is trying to appease his neighbors as best as he can.

The smoke is causing leaves to fall from his neighbors trees?!? Are they green leaves or foliage colors? Are they trying to blame Tipsy for burning the leaves? :lmao:

Sounds like you are doing the best you can, your neighbors sound like jerks.

......breathing......

Even if it could be so construed, it would be inadmissible as evidence for that purpose. The law favors attempts at settlement.

Users who are viewing this thread