What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

Some of the best lamb I ever had was at a churrascaria in Punta Arenas, Chile. For those of you that don't know about Southern Chile, suffice to say the sheep outnumber the humans by a wide margin. Not smoked though, slow grilled over a wood fire.

Mmmmm, good times.

More than willing to try American lamb, though. Off hand I'd guess that it is the process of freezing for shipment that detracts from the taste rather than the meat itself, but I am not an expert in these matters.
how is that not considered "smoked"?
If you place something on a spit in the vicinity of a bonfire in your garden do you call that smoking?

Smoking to me takes place in an enclosed environment with a very high particle density

Tipsy -

Just sent a group your way - an old friend of mine who's a doctor here in Phoenix, and his family. His son lives there in New Orleans and he's marrying the Mayor's niece. They're planning to stop in next week.

Can't wait to check it out mysel someday!

Cheers and congrats on all of your hard earned success Man.

Kev

this leg of lamb is killer....im just hanging out at counter carving samples for everyone...crowd is very pleased
Would you mind sharing how you prepared this? I saw you used a Moroccan spice rub. Curious about cook temp, internal temp and anything else you are willing to share. I was thinking of doing something like this for New Years Eve if the weather cooperates, but I've never smoked lamb.

Some of the best lamb I ever had was at a churrascaria in Punta Arenas, Chile. For those of you that don't know about Southern Chile, suffice to say the sheep outnumber the humans by a wide margin. Not smoked though, slow grilled over a wood fire.

Mmmmm, good times.

More than willing to try American lamb, though. Off hand I'd guess that it is the process of freezing for shipment that detracts from the taste rather than the meat itself, but I am not an expert in these matters.
how is that not considered "smoked"?
because smoking is different than cooking over direct heat....
Ah. While I know that, it didn't click to me about the direct heat when he said slow grilled.

You are either grilling or smoking...smoking usually means indirect heat. The penetration of smoke in the meat is light years beyond grilling over a smokey fire.

this leg of lamb is killer....im just hanging out at counter carving samples for everyone...crowd is very pleased
Would you mind sharing how you prepared this? I saw you used a Moroccan spice rub. Curious about cook temp, internal temp and anything else you are willing to share. I was thinking of doing something like this for New Years Eve if the weather cooperates, but I've never smoked lambT
225 for cooking, about 2.5 hours until they were done...ie they started to bend in the middle enough to crack the meat, but just before then. (oops...this was for the lamb ribs i just saw before this edit) I can't tell you the temp...it was just done like when i know the pork ribs are. It was super easy and some of the best lamb i've ever had honestly. The rub is the Moroccan blend called Raz el hanout.

The leg was done the same way with salt, pepper, raz el hanout, and rosemary. I smoked it at 250 for 30, then back to 225 for about 3.5 hours until it was 165 internal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiger Fan said:
For a greek style lamb, just bang it in the ###, use salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder
:lmao: awesome. Wait... what do you know about Greek cooking?! ;)

Tipsy... that #### looks amazing. Great scott... you have no idea how excited everyone is to eat at your place. TWO WEEKS AND COUNTING! :excited:

Tiger Fan said:
For a greek style lamb, just bang it in the ###, use salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder

Tipsy... that #### looks amazing. Great scott... you have no idea how excited everyone is to eat at your place. TWO WEEKS AND COUNTING! :excited:
I think I will get some of these lamb ribs for you all that week. I'm freaked by how good they were.

Tiger Fan said:

I think I will get some of these lamb ribs for you all that week. I'm freaked by how good they were.
jan 18-21 if they catch on. Just saying

Tiger Fan said:

We will be a party of 13-15... I sent the lamb rib pics via email out to the crew this afternoon. Everyone's drooling. If you're down to cook some up I know most if not all of us would LOVE to try them. Assuming they come out a premium over pork ribs... what would the projected retail price be for a half slab or slab?

:banned:

tipsy mcstagger said:
C & C said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
Would you mind sharing how you prepared this? I saw you used a Moroccan spice rub. Curious about cook temp, internal temp and anything else you are willing to share. I was thinking of doing something like this for New Years Eve if the weather cooperates, but I've never smoked lambT
225 for cooking, about 2.5 hours until they were done...ie they started to bend in the middle enough to crack the meat, but just before then. (oops...this was for the lamb ribs i just saw before this edit) I can't tell you the temp...it was just done like when i know the pork ribs are. It was super easy and some of the best lamb i've ever had honestly. The rub is the Moroccan blend called Raz el hanout.

The leg was done the same way with salt, pepper, raz el hanout, and rosemary. I smoked it at 250 for 30, then back to 225 for about 3.5 hours until it was 165 internal.
Thanks! I appreciate it and hope to formally thank you when I'm down there in April.

21 hours and we're on a train to NOLA... Finally get to hit up McClures Saturday. Can't wait. :banned:

Tipsy has informed me that he happens to have ordered some more of that Lamb... kinda exited to taste some of that. Bringing a cooler full of his fave Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken upon request. The GF is threatening to intercept said shipment :lol:

Definitely looking forward to an all meats and sides platter to get a taste of everything. Will snap many pics and post up.

21 hours and we're on a train to NOLA... Finally get to hit up McClures Saturday. Can't wait. :banned:

Tipsy has informed me that he happens to have ordered some more of that Lamb... kinda exited to taste some of that. Bringing a cooler full of his fave Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken upon request. The GF is threatening to intercept said shipment :lol:

Definitely looking forward to an all meats and sides platter to get a taste of everything. Will snap many pics and post up.
I've had Gus's fried chicken, it is indeed among the best I've ever had if not the best.

Amtrak operates a line called "The City of New Orleans" that runs from Chicago to New Orleans, through Memphis. It's a somewhat historic route that has been immortalized in the the song of the same name that was made famous by Arlo Guthrie and has been performed by Nelson, Cash, etc.

Reason for the train is it's only about $120 round trip, and the lounge car is actually quite comfortable (similar to that photo). We usually grab a couple booths together (group of 12 on this trip), setup a bluetooth speaker (AC power provided), order some drinks and play cards / socialize until we arrive in New Orleans. It makes the trip a couple hours longer but instead of dreading the drive there (and back), it becomes one of the enjoyable parts of the trip.

Bar is well stocked and reasonable. The meal service is surprisingly good. We usually sneak a bottle or two on board and mix some of our own drinks as well. On the way home we'll sometimes get a sleeper room and doze on the way back. Just depends.

Actually is a lot of fun. :thumbup:

I've had Gus's fried chicken, it is indeed among the best I've ever had if not the best.
How is the seasoning and is it spicy?

It's a very light/thin "batter" for the frying process (which I like) and the seasonings are indeed spicy. For a scoville hound like myself they're pretty mild, but for the average person, their lips will be tingling a good bit after eating there. I know some folks (very sensitive to heat) that can't eat their chicken.

I've heard they soak in buttermilk for a day prior which results in an EXTREMELY moist/tender piece of chicken. When coupled with the great seasoning... it truly is in the running for the best fried chicken you will ever eat. It's 1 block off the river here in Memphis so Tipsy ate there like 2-3 times over 4 days while he was in for BBQfest last year :lol:

Amtrak operates a line called "The City of New Orleans" that runs from Chicago to New Orleans, through Memphis. It's a somewhat historic route that has been immortalized in the the song of the same name that was made famous by Arlo Guthrie and has been performed by Nelson, Cash, etc.

Reason for the train is it's only about $120 round trip, and the lounge car is actually quite comfortable (similar to that photo). We usually grab a couple booths together (group of 12 on this trip), setup a bluetooth speaker (AC power provided), order some drinks and play cards / socialize until we arrive in New Orleans. It makes the trip a couple hours longer but instead of dreading the drive there (and back), it becomes one of the enjoyable parts of the trip.

Bar is well stocked and reasonable. The meal service is surprisingly good. We usually sneak a bottle or two on board and mix some of our own drinks as well. On the way home we'll sometimes get a sleeper room and doze on the way back. Just depends.

No way the fried chicken survives the trip. I'd lay 50-1 odds on this.

culdeus said:
[icon] said:
culdeus said:

Could you at least give us the Debbie Downer scientific breakdown of how the muscle will break down 33.5% more than it should due to the speed of the train coupled with the down hill trajectory of the tracks since they are headed south? Or that the plastic in the cooler will have a negative polymerization gradient to the buttermilk in the batter?

[icon] said:
Tony Jabroni said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
[icon] said:

It's a very light/thin "batter" for the frying process (which I like) and the seasonings are indeed spicy. For a scoville hound like myself they're pretty mild, but for the average person, their lips will be tingling a good bit after eating there. I know some folks (very sensitive to heat) that can't eat their chicken.

I've heard they soak in buttermilk for a day prior which results in an EXTREMELY moist/tender piece of chicken. When coupled with the great seasoning... it truly is in the running for the best fried chicken you will ever eat. It's 1 block off the river here in Memphis so Tipsy ate there like 2-3 times over 4 days while he was in for BBQfest last year :lol:
Finally, we tracked down the real source of the portliness.

culdeus said:
Could you at least give us the Debbie Downer scientific breakdown of how the muscle will break down 33.5% more than it should due to the speed of the train coupled with the down hill trajectory of the tracks since they are headed south? Or that the plastic in the cooler will have a negative polymerization gradient to the buttermilk in the batter?
I'm guessing he's referring to myself or someone in our party diving into it. :lol:

I'll be vacuum-ish packing it in freezer bags, then sealing in a foam cooler on ice for the trip. Tipsy will be picking it up Friday when we get into town so ideally it will only be in the cooler for 10ish hours. It won't be as good as fresh but I'm guessing tipsy will do a suitable job of reheating to where it will still be quite enjoyable. :)

Are we getting bonus points for weather? I'm going to the Gopher basketball game tonight. I could get a pic outside Williams Arena, which in and of itself isn't that impressive. however, it is below zero, so taking the extra time to take a picture will be painful unless I'm getting something extra.

Are we getting bonus points for weather? I'm going to the Gopher basketball game tonight. I could get a pic outside Williams Arena, which in and of itself isn't that impressive. however, it is below zero, so taking the extra time to take a picture will be painful unless I'm getting something extra.
Everest or that stuck icebreaker or gtfo

Congrats! Although this made me cry a little inside:

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

2) Buffalo Wild Wings :no:

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

2) Willie Mae's Scotch House

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

This seemed a bit more strange...

Forgot to add: Congrats!!!
Willie Mae's is probably the closest thing you will find to Gus's.

Some people say the quality or texture has changed since the proprietress passed on, I don't know.

Popeye's I get, it wasn't always a huge chain, it used to be 'our thing.'

After that if any NO foodies are reading this I'd love other recommendations (I hear Brothers at one location or another occasionally... but I think there must be better).

Users who are viewing this thread