What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

plantar fasciitis (1 Viewer)

I gotta quit making fun of those sketchers I think they are called and give them a try.

go for MBT shoes, not sketchers. The later is a cheaper knock off. MBT are medical shoes, and they work!
I bought Brooks' Beast running shoes and they feel fantastic. I put a Superfeet insert in them, ahhhhhhh. :thumbup: Not the greatest looking shoe, but better than the MBT/Sketcher options for me. Of course I wear scrubs/running shoes to work so this may not be an option for all.

I'm afraid I might have this, as well. I have constant pain in one of my arches. My Dad is having surgery on Monday, so I'm getting ready to go home this weekend, but when I get back, I finally decided that I'm going to have to go to the doctor. I've dealt with it for months, and it's not getting any better.

go for MBT shoes, not sketchers. The later is a cheaper knock off. MBT are medical shoes, and they work!
I bought Brooks' Beast running shoes and they feel fantastic. I put a Superfeet insert in them, ahhhhhhh. :thumbup: Not the greatest looking shoe, but better than the MBT/Sketcher options for me. Of course I wear scrubs/running shoes to work so this may not be an option for all.
I've tried these. Pretty much the best arch support you'll find in a running shoe. I can't remember what happened to the pair I had. I never got any comments about them so they must've not looked too bad.

I got the arch pain running on a treadmill. I went to an exercise bike till the foot pain went away. The weather was warm so for the past 3 months I've been running hills, and haven't had any pain. I'm wondering if running hills helps because in running them the arch of the foot is stretched. I wish my treadmill could incline as steep as the hills I run.

Too lazy to read the entire thread :unsure: but I've had it, and it's a beeyotch. Stretching is huge. Good luck.

So I've developed arthritis in both my feet. In my left foot, I have it between the navicular and medial cuneiform. I was having some stability issues aslo, and the orthopod I went to wanted me to start doing an Achilles stretch where I stood on a step and dropped my heels and held it. Start at 15 seconds 3 times a day for a week, then 30 seconds, a minute, 90 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes.

Well, by week 5, I developed excruciating plantar fasciitis. Could this be from over-stretching it? Seems ironic that stretching is typically treatment.

Regardless, I saw him again and he wanted me to continue doing these stretches to help the fasciitis, but it is pretty painful, and when I do it I am bad the rest of the day. Yesterday I just did the non-weight bearing toe pullback stretch and iced it, and I feel relatively better today (I've also been wearing the night splint).

Thoughts? Flat out ignore my doctor's recommendations? This toe stretch is what cured me when I had this for years last time, but right now my symptoms are way worse than they ever were, with a lot more heel pain with every step.

So I've developed arthritis in both my feet. In my left foot, I have it between the navicular and medial cuneiform. I was having some stability issues aslo, and the orthopod I went to wanted me to start doing an Achilles stretch where I stood on a step and dropped my heels and held it. Start at 15 seconds 3 times a day for a week, then 30 seconds, a minute, 90 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes.Well, by week 5, I developed excruciating plantar fasciitis. Could this be from over-stretching it? Seems ironic that stretching is typically treatment.Regardless, I saw him again and he wanted me to continue doing these stretches to help the fasciitis, but it is pretty painful, and when I do it I am bad the rest of the day. Yesterday I just did the non-weight bearing toe pullback stretch and iced it, and I feel relatively better today (I've also been wearing the night splint).Thoughts? Flat out ignore my doctor's recommendations? This toe stretch is what cured me when I had this for years last time, but right now my symptoms are way worse than they ever were, with a lot more heel pain with every step.
How old are you? Are you active? Are you overweight? Have you had anything like this in the past? Is it in both feet? I would just caution any of you dealing with this to strap in for the long haul. I'm about 11 months removed from my symptoms coming on(sept 2011) and I didn't see a doctor until december. I have had bouts of this before and I'm active but overweight. I stretched and had relief but it was still there. I took to the MBTs(which I suspect may have caused it in the first place) but they have been the most substantive, prolonged management aid I've had to deal with this. Its not gone, but on a scale of 1-10, its a 2-3 most days, as opposed to a 8-9 when it was bad(with a few days of 10 which got me to the doc in the first place). I'm torn on the stretching. It definitely brought relief but I started PT with aggresive stretching when I had no pain and it set me back for a month. Stretch to manage extreme pain, but I thought RICE with compression was the best means to an end.

When you stretch make sure you are feeling pressure but not pain. I prefer stretching against a wall (like you are stretching your calf, then bend your knee to hit the foot).

Seems like itt would be easy to go too far on a step.

So I've developed arthritis in both my feet. In my left foot, I have it between the navicular and medial cuneiform. I was having some stability issues aslo, and the orthopod I went to wanted me to start doing an Achilles stretch where I stood on a step and dropped my heels and held it. Start at 15 seconds 3 times a day for a week, then 30 seconds, a minute, 90 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes.
I'm no expert, but I don't like that idea of holding the stretching. I have seen a number of recommendations to avoid such static stretching before running ...better to start easy (even with some walking) and let that be the warm-up. I think the same logic would apply here - you very well might be doing as much damage as good by holding the stretch for such long time periods.

So I've developed arthritis in both my feet. In my left foot, I have it between the navicular and medial cuneiform. I was having some stability issues aslo, and the orthopod I went to wanted me to start doing an Achilles stretch where I stood on a step and dropped my heels and held it. Start at 15 seconds 3 times a day for a week, then 30 seconds, a minute, 90 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes.Well, by week 5, I developed excruciating plantar fasciitis. Could this be from over-stretching it? Seems ironic that stretching is typically treatment.Regardless, I saw him again and he wanted me to continue doing these stretches to help the fasciitis, but it is pretty painful, and when I do it I am bad the rest of the day. Yesterday I just did the non-weight bearing toe pullback stretch and iced it, and I feel relatively better today (I've also been wearing the night splint).Thoughts? Flat out ignore my doctor's recommendations? This toe stretch is what cured me when I had this for years last time, but right now my symptoms are way worse than they ever were, with a lot more heel pain with every step.
How old are you? Are you active? Are you overweight? Have you had anything like this in the past? Is it in both feet? I would just caution any of you dealing with this to strap in for the long haul. I'm about 11 months removed from my symptoms coming on(sept 2011) and I didn't see a doctor until december. I have had bouts of this before and I'm active but overweight. I stretched and had relief but it was still there. I took to the MBTs(which I suspect may have caused it in the first place) but they have been the most substantive, prolonged management aid I've had to deal with this. Its not gone, but on a scale of 1-10, its a 2-3 most days, as opposed to a 8-9 when it was bad(with a few days of 10 which got me to the doc in the first place). I'm torn on the stretching. It definitely brought relief but I started PT with aggresive stretching when I had no pain and it set me back for a month. Stretch to manage extreme pain, but I thought RICE with compression was the best means to an end.
39/active/overweightCurious, why did you start PT when you had no pain?

39/active/overweightCurious, why did you start PT when you had no pain?
It took time for the approval from insurance to go through between the PT scipt and me going. I guess its a bit more vague injury diagnosis than something that is documented in an emergency room. In that 2-3 weeks( maybe even 4) I had been vigilant with the stretching(really just a minute every hour between 8a-8p, and then right before bed. 20 second arch and calf stretches. I also had to walk a lot for work in this time. I wear a pedometer and I was doing 20-25K steps per day and I felt great. My podiatrist said, "well PT can't hurt and its approved so why don't you do it a couple of sessions and really knock it out". Looking back I'm guessing there may have been some referral cahoots, but I did one PT session and things were fine. I was going to do one or two weeks more and on the next visit is when I tweaked something. So to answer your question, I did it because the doc recommended it, but caveat emptor on the PT.

Good luck, Shuke.

As for me I have a knee that needs to be scoped that I think is some of the issue. That will be in December.

I had the release surgery a year or two ago and that's seems more like an extended cortisone shot than anything else.

I have bought good shoes and insoles for years. However, I recently found that tying my shoes helps a ton. :bag:

I wonder if it's time to just cut out any activity that seriously works my arches or knees. Like lower body lifting (specifically olympic lifts) and basketball. Lame. :(

Just got back from the doctor and CONFIRMED. Plantar fasciitis and the beginnings of heel spurs. Recommendations on shoes?

:kicksrock:

So this got so bad I had to go back and see my doc. I couldn't even do a regular calf stretch I was in so much pain.He gave me a cortisone shot and put me in a walking boot for 3 weeks, and told me to start the stair step strech again starting at 15 seconds 3x a day. Well, I'm 2.5 weeks in and I feel pretty good, although this boot is a huge PITA. I'm up to a 60 second stretch 3x a day. I think I was really overstretching before, I'm just doing it until I feel a stretch and not pushing it past that.

That blows.

Mine has been pretty good since I started tying my shoes (with orthotics). I haven't been lifting so that helps just been on an elipitical. But at least now I can teach all day and then coach and not limp home.

That blows.Mine has been pretty good since I started tying my shoes (with orthotics). I haven't been lifting so that helps just been on an elipitical. But at least now I can teach all day and then coach and not limp home.
I couldn't even do an elliptical for more than 15 minutes. Why does not lifting help?What kind of orthotics do you guys have?

I was having this pain for about 6 months. Last week I got a cortisone shot, anti-inflamitories, and before I get up, I use an old belt to stretch my leg/foot. The pain is gone. I was doing the "bend the toes back" stretch, but that did not help. Using the belt to stretch the back of the calf seems to be doing wonders, because I skipped this one morning and there was some pain.

That blows.Mine has been pretty good since I started tying my shoes (with orthotics). I haven't been lifting so that helps just been on an elipitical. But at least now I can teach all day and then coach and not limp home.
I couldn't even do an elliptical for more than 15 minutes. Why does not lifting help?What kind of orthotics do you guys have?
Olympic lifting where your feet leave the ground just pounds those arches. Plus, I had an elbow injury that limited upper body stuff so it just seemed like a good time to take a break from lifting.I have several pairs of orthotics. I have some custom ones I'm using now that work great. On the cheap end I have Spencos that are not too bad.

I had to take the nuclear option. Seemed like I was going to the doctor every 2-3 weeks and white knuckling it through work. I had girls at work telling me they felt like crying watching me walk. Had 4 or 5 cortizone shots, an oral steroidal anti-inflammatory cycle, night boot, stretching, heavy taping, icing 4-5 times a day at work, heel lifts and custom orthotics. Nothing worked. Doc shut me down 2 weeks ago and put me in a walking boot (plus another shot where he went through the inside of the heel, horizontally, all the way through to the other side of my foot and then released the cortizone while pulling it out, brutal) and on disability for 6 weeks, with PT. Feels great to not be in insanity-inducing pain all day long. It's been a year since I first started feeling it. I'm hoping the next month is enough to knock it down to tolerable levels.

I had to take the nuclear option. Seemed like I was going to the doctor every 2-3 weeks and white knuckling it through work. I had girls at work telling me they felt like crying watching me walk. Had 4 or 5 cortizone shots, an oral steroidal anti-inflammatory cycle, night boot, stretching, heavy taping, icing 4-5 times a day at work, heel lifts and custom orthotics. Nothing worked. Doc shut me down 2 weeks ago and put me in a walking boot (plus another shot where he went through the inside of the heel, horizontally, all the way through to the other side of my foot and then released the cortizone while pulling it out, brutal) and on disability for 6 weeks, with PT. Feels great to not be in insanity-inducing pain all day long. It's been a year since I first started feeling it. I'm hoping the next month is enough to knock it down to tolerable levels.
What PT are you doing?

What PT are you doing?
As of now it's been a warmup of picking up marbles with my toes for 6-8 minutes. Then about 15-20 minutes of light massage and stretching done by the PTist. Followed by ultrasound.

You dont want it to stretch, you want it to heal.
Completely false. Follow the stretching instructions in this article. This cured me after a years of suffering. Don't be shy about pulling those toes back as far as you can until you are in pain.
You got to it before I did.Things that have helped me:

1) Stretch the foot in the morning as soon as you wake up. EIther in the manner described above, or by putting your foot on the floor and doing the same "lean against the wall" thing you would to to stretch out your calf....only do it with your plantar fascia.

2) Ibuprofen is your friend.

3) There is a device called a "night boot." It will hold your foot in an extended position at night. You can buy this at most pharmacies for about $20-30.

4) Lose weight. Dropping from about 225 lbs to about 210 pounds helped me quite a bit.

5) Wrapping the foot does help, but I've had more luck with "taping" the bottom of it with athletic tape.
Good info here. Its a lil pricy for less than a bucks worth of material, but the night boot has worked very well for me. Used to wake up with very sore feet. After using the walking boot when I wake in the morning there's almost no pain whatsoever. Essentially does the grab your toes directions constantly throughout the night while you're sleeping I even sometimes UsE it if I'm going to be sitting down for an extended period Of time like watching football game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. Any suggestions for a good dress shoe that is good for PT? Cole haans are the most comfortable for me, but i find my custom orthodics dont fit them. Any other sugesstions?

I have Morton's Neuroma in my left foot and have had 4 cortisone shots over the past month or so and the next step is to kill the nerve inbetween the two metatarsals. 

I've also been using inserts in my shoes and lots of IBU.

Getting old sucks.

Smack Tripper said:
Forgot I posted this and was coming to post this, yoga saved me from this. Will really get everything that you need stretched worked over
My DDP yoga has been sitting gathering dust. :bag: I could understand it making a difference in avoiding plantar fasciitis, but how will it help if one already has it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My DDP yoga has been sitting gathering dust. :bag: I could understand it making a difference in avoiding plantar fasciitis, but how will it help if one already has it?
My doc explained PF to me as an issue with the calf as much as anything... she had given me calf exercises to do to stretch that.  Everyone's mileage will vary, I never got relief from rolling the ball or water bottle under my foot but calf stretches help.  Yoga you're barefoot and integrating your foot frequently, seems to me you stretched and strengthed so many support muscles that it keep the PF loose.

My doc explained PF to me as an issue with the calf as much as anything... she had given me calf exercises to do to stretch that.  Everyone's mileage will vary, I never got relief from rolling the ball or water bottle under my foot but calf stretches help.  Yoga you're barefoot and integrating your foot frequently, seems to me you stretched and strengthed so many support muscles that it keep the PF loose.
Makes sense. After being very active and ramping things up in preparation for an 80+ mile backpacking trip and the trip itself, I got forced out of my routine by work and family BS. I am now paying the price. The frozen water bottle trick that some rave about is lost on me. I get nothing out of that, either. I'm thinking of going the cortisone shot route. I ain't got time for this...

Makes sense. After being very active and ramping things up in preparation for an 80+ mile backpacking trip and the trip itself, I got forced out of my routine by work and family BS. I am now paying the price. The frozen water bottle trick that some rave about is lost on me. I get nothing out of that, either. I'm thinking of going the cortisone shot route. I ain't got time for this...
Cortisone was basically a band aid for me, its apparently a tough shot to land.  I got it twice, first time I could barely get into the office and I walked out tapdancing, pure miracle.  Second time, wasn't as lucky getting that sweet spot. 

They did send me for physical therapy on it and it helped a great deal, maybe 4 or 6 sessions... of course, by the 2nd or 3rd it felt great but they want you to keep going, they told me to "knock it out".  Well of course in my last session I reiritated it and was basically back to square one. 

Like I said, I've been up and down the road with it a bit, and yoga was my biggest saving grace.  May not be for everyone, may have helped to lose weight, who knows. 

I've been dealing with PF on and off for more than a year. Cortisone helps a little bit, but the two things that helped the most were proper shoe inserts and a foot rocker. But even then I never have had more than a few pain free weeks. The last time I saw my podiatrist he said that they could simply fry the nerve causing the pain, which is something I still consider.

Cortisone was basically a band aid for me, its apparently a tough shot to land.  I got it twice, first time I could barely get into the office and I walked out tapdancing, pure miracle.  Second time, wasn't as lucky getting that sweet spot. 

They did send me for physical therapy on it and it helped a great deal, maybe 4 or 6 sessions... of course, by the 2nd or 3rd it felt great but they want you to keep going, they told me to "knock it out".  Well of course in my last session I reiritated it and was basically back to square one. 

Like I said, I've been up and down the road with it a bit, and yoga was my biggest saving grace.  May not be for everyone, may have helped to lose weight, who knows. 
Didn't know that the cortisone was such an iffy proposition. I thought it would help me get over the hump and back into heavy walking and DDP again. I think a weekend of outdoor concerts in a pair of Cons with no support pushed me over the edge. The only shoes that work for me now are a pair of New Balance cross trainers with a brand new pair of Dr Scholls extra firm heel/arch support inserts and my Merrill boots with the green Superfeet inserts.

I've been dealing with PF on and off for more than a year. Cortisone helps a little bit, but the two things that helped the most were proper shoe inserts and a foot rocker. But even then I never have had more than a few pain free weeks. The last time I saw my podiatrist he said that they could simply fry the nerve causing the pain, which is something I still consider.
Fry the nerve!? This foot- my left- is already affected by my L4-5 herniation and the resulting sciatica involvement. The outside edge and last two toes are mostly numb. The right inserts almost make this PF appear to be old news until I step too hard or take the shoes off. I'm going to seriously give a stretching regimen a shot before I give a sports podiatrist near me a call...

Users who are viewing this thread