What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (5 Viewers)

Sometimes things fall into place when you least expect them.

We may get another season or two of unlikely production from McFadden. Interesting off season with what is going to happen in Dallas backfield.

Ok so are they going to keep him or trade him?  Should I try and move him in my dynasty to the 1.01 owner?  Or wait and see?  Seems like Alf would be the odd man out to me, but then they just got him recently, so........

He's a high value veteran backup in one of the most desirable situations in the league.   He's a hold or even a buy low if you can get him cheap.  The 1.1 owner won't pay much for him because they're giddy about Elliott going to Dallas, as well they should be.  But guys miss games and get hurt all the time,  and McFadden would likely step in immediately as a high end rb2 play if Elliott missed a game or two.   

The Elliott/DMC handcuff is going to be a popular trend this year in fantasy. Problem is Almo may stick around to mud the water.

He's a high value veteran backup in one of the most desirable situations in the league.   He's a hold or even a buy low if you can get him cheap.  The 1.1 owner won't pay much for him because they're giddy about Elliott going to Dallas, as well they should be.  But guys miss games and get hurt all the time,  and McFadden would likely step in immediately as a high end rb2 play if Elliott missed a game or two.   
I don't disagree but where does Morris fit into it?

I drafted in a dynasty dispersal draft and got Alfred Morris. I went wr strong in the dispersal, so I made a move to trade for McFadden to get both Dallas backs,  I figured that if I waited after the draft and Dallas did not go Zeke then I would be in good shape and I believed Dallas would go defense. If I waited till after the draft I also figured I would have to pay more for him. I knew it was a gamble, but felt that defense would be the pick.  :eek:  I loss the gamble. 

I gave Romo and Ben Watson to get McFadden. I have Eifert and Fleener as my TE's. I also own Cousins and Kaep. I knew when Bosa went #3 I was in trouble.

All of this said I agree that he is a hold and see what happens. My team is a dispersal team and building, but felt at 27 I could get a season out of him and maybe flip him later.
Morris is 27, but I thought you were talking about McFadden. He turns 29 in August.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked at the Cowboys RB cap numbers, trying to understand Cowboys thinking in investing in Morris and drafting Zeke.. Surprised to see how little Morris got- 800K base with 500K bonus.   I really wish I'd of followed the money before, as I did acquire Alfred Morris in a few leagues.  I didn't invest much, but it should of been a little clearer to me as to what AlfMo's role on the team would be and that is very clearly a depth guy. 

tone1oc said:
I just looked at the Cowboys RB cap numbers, trying to understand Cowboys thinking in investing in Morris and drafting Zeke.. Surprised to see how little Morris got- 800K base with 500K bonus.   I really wish I'd of followed the money before, as I did acquire Alfred Morris in a few leagues.  I didn't invest much, but it should of been a little clearer to me as to what AlfMo's role on the team would be and that is very clearly a depth guy. 
Yeah, Cowboys got so rocked at the position there for a while that it is logical that they are thinking to stockpile and keep depth.  This is probably not the best time to own Morris.

Yeah, Cowboys got so rocked at the position there for a while that it is logical that they are thinking to stockpile and keep depth.  This is probably not the best time to own Morris.
Basically it was a 1M dollar insurance policy in case they didn't get Zeke, either by their own decision or by another team.  

I am considering just cutting Alf, as I've already reached out to 1.01 owners with offers of '17 3rd, and a '16 3.12 and getting insta-rejected.   

Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out for McFadden. 

Does the Dallas brass care about all the fishiness around the injury (how it happened, how explanation changed)? Seems like an innocuous way to break your elbow (as opposed to pulling motorcycle wheelies on a freeway), but if I was Gary Brown/part of the front office and was not involved in spinning stories, might be a little down on McFadden for not taking the upcoming season seriously and protecting his body. In other words, will there be a doghouse to work out of starting in camp?

Second, no question Elliott is the future here, but also feel that the team would want to split duties to keep everyone healthy and ease the future back into the role. Carries will be there for other backs, but Morris is no slouch and brings some juice to the table (as much as McFadden, anyway). How these two vie for the backup in camp, and how carries are split early in the season will be interesting.

It's truly make or break time for McFadden. His role will be up to him in terms of making every carry count.

Overall, not sure what McFadden's value is aside from a depth/injury handcuff, and with the latter, value will depend on how the competition shakes out between him and Morris in camp and the first couple of games.

ESPN Cowboys reporter Todd Archer told SiriusXM's Mike Clay that Darren McFadden (elbow, active/NFI) could be on the trading block.
With No. 4 overall pick Ezekiel Elliott locked-in as the starter and Alfred Morris a solid enough backup, the Cowboys can afford to trade McFadden. Desperate for help on defense, moving McFadden for a linebacker or defensive end would make a lot of sense. McFadden remains on active/NFI with an elbow injury, but he is expected to be ready for Week 1.

Source: Mike Clay on Twitter 
Aug 9 - 10:03 AM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys "have received calls" from teams wanting to acquire Darren McFadden, but Dallas "really wants to keep him."
Dealing with a severe elbow injury, McFadden is expected to begin the season on the Cowboys' reserve/NFI list should he stay put in Dallas. If not, he could be available earlier if cleared by another team's doctors. Alfred Morris has played well enough this preseason to open 2016 as Ezekiel Elliott's clear backup. McFadden is owed $1.75 million in the last year of his deal.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Aug 30 - 2:36 PM

Darren McFadden (elbow, NFI) may never be able to fully straighten his right arm again.
The "home injury" McFadden suffered in June has been gradually revealed to be more serious over time. Already sidelined for the first six games of the season, it's possible McFadden doesn't suit up at all in 2016. He's a stretch to own in Dynasty leagues.

Source: Brandon George on Twitter 
Sep 5 - 2:27 PM

Darren McFadden rushed six times for 28 yards in Saturday's preseason game against the Rams, adding a five-yard reception.

McFadden looked stiff, but perhaps he's still in the process of knocking off the rust following a lost 2016. McFadden could be the Cowboys' starter at some point this season, but it depends on Ezekiel Elliott's appeal of his six-game suspension. It's possible Zeke's ban ends up getting delayed for all of 2017. For now, DMC is probably still best left to the back-end of fantasy drafts.

I think McFadden will end up being drafted higher than he should. It seems like the consensus opinion is that Zeke's suspension will be reduced (I do not share that thought), however if it does get reduced then McFaddens pick becomes worthless at that point in time. I think a Rob Kelley-Duke Johnson pick might be a better choice.

Cowboys waived Darren McFadden.

It is not a surprise considering McFadden could not crack the game-day roster even with Ezekiel Elliott suspended. With a reasonable salary, McFadden could end up getting claimed, and he should land with another team in the near future even is he slips through waivers. The Cowboys will continue to ride with Alfred Morris and Rod Smith as their top two backs until Zeke returns.

Related: Cowboys

Source: ESPN

Nov 26 - 9:28 AM

I never understand why sports outlets cover minor criminal offenses of ex players. It would be something different if he went on a killing spree, but an article about a guy who hasn't played a meaningful down in three plus years getting a dwi doesn't deserve to go under sports news.

In 2016, ESPN reported McFadden filed a lawsuit against his ex-financial manager, Michael Vick (no, not thatMichael Vick). McFadden was looking for $15 million that Vick was said to have misappropriated and mishandled, which included $3 million lost in a supposed bitcoin venture. Vick's ####ery dated back to 2008, where a number of fraudulent documents put him in charge of McFadden's finances, allowing him to steal funds at will.

Chase Carlson, who is an investment fraud attorney, must have done some number crunching based off of today's bitcoin craze, and tweeted that if McFadden's bitcoin investment actually went through, he'd be sitting on $237 million right now.
https://www.complex.com/sports/2017/12/darren-mcfadden-bitcoin-investment

You win some and you lose some. In McFadden's case, he couldn't make the team's roster, retired, lost a boatload of money, and then got arrested. I guess the silver lining is that technically speaking, he hasn't become irrelevant just yet, so props to him on keeping that up.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2017/12/darren-mcfadden-bitcoin-investment

You win some and you lose some. In McFadden's case, he couldn't make the team's roster, retired, lost a boatload of money, and then got arrested. I guess the silver lining is that technically speaking, he hasn't become irrelevant just yet, so props to him on keeping that up.
I'd never heard that story. It seems pretty similar to what happened to Clinton Portis.

These investment people/financial managers, are really the scum of the earth. Part of me wishes we still settled these things like we did in old west times, where McFadden could catch up with this guy and just beat the money out of him.  

Users who are viewing this thread