What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: NON-Draft eligible College prospects (5 Viewers)

Was it Xue calling Rhodes this year's Cooper? Or something like that?
Not this year. But he looked really good in the Spring last year and I liked what I saw in his HS videos.

This year's Amari Cooper is probably Josh Malone. Well he doesn't remind me of Cooper, but he's very likely to lead his team in receiving as an 18-year old Freshman.

Not this year. But he looked really good in the Spring last year and I liked what I saw in his HS videos.

This year's Amari Cooper is probably Josh Malone. Well he doesn't remind me of Cooper, but he's very likely to lead his team in receiving as an 18-year old Freshman.
I'm with you on Malone...I have him very high on my list. He's my top true freshman WR and is my #2 non-draft eligible WR behind Treadwell.

Someone finally put up a pretty extensive YouTube highlight reel of Laquon Treadwell's freshman season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiqfpOH9Lag

Reminds me a bit of Davante Adams. Listed as taller and heavier. Similar look on the field.

I think his low YPR last season was probably down to usage, but it would be nice to see him show more downfield game and big play ability this season. Nice freshman season, but zero 100+ yard games and very few long receptions. Would like to see a lot more of that in 2014.

Treadwell is only 19 this season. You know what Marqise Lee and AJ Green were doing at 19? They were still in their Senior HS seasons.

Rotoworld:

Ole Miss HC Hugh Freeze said sophomore WR Laquon Treadwell added 15 lbs of muscle during the offseason.
This would put Treadwell around 6'2/230 lbs, which is massive for a receiver. Many draft evaluators would place Treadwell near the top of their rankings if he were eligible for the 2015 draft. Ole Miss is seemingly on the incline as a program, and Treadwell could be the focal point of their offense this season.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Jack isn't good enough to play RB in the NFL even if he wanted to. It was kind of a travesty that he won Pac-12 Offensive Freshman of the Year.

He's strictly IDP material in FF leagues.

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M beat writer Sean Lester believes freshman WR Speedy Noil was the Aggies' most impressive player during spring activities.
After enrolling early at Texas A&M, Noil "proved he was much more of a college football threat in-waiting than a soon-to-be high school graduate," Lester writes. "The Aggies will be looking for a go-to slot receiver and Noil might be the answer." Texas A&Mmight need a spark on offense this season, and Noil appears to be an early option.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Rotoworld:

Baylor WR Antwan Goodley pegged redshirt sophomore WR Corey Coleman as the player to watch this season.
Coleman was the team's leading kick returner and started 10 of 13 games after redshirting his first year on campus. According to his Baylor bio page, Coleman runs a 4.38 forty and posted a vertical jump of 45+", best on the team. He could emerge as a go-to target across from Goodley, if the latter continues to struggle with his catching consistency.

Source: Jake Trotter on Twitter

I'm with you on Malone...I have him very high on my list. He's my top true freshman WR and is my #2 non-draft eligible WR behind Treadwell.
Malachi Dupre is right up there as well. He's the better athlete of the two and has some polish himself. Nice double move right here: http://youtu.be/9rmpPZPTwsM?t=42s

He had some reps against Freshman 5* Alabama CB Tony Brown (#108) in the video, too.

Dupre is a nice consolation if you miss out on Malone. Here he is recently showing off some dunks: http://www.tigerdroppings.com/news/105535/51189348/LSU-WR-Malachi-Dupre-Late-Night-Dunk-Session?sect=home_main

These guys are the consensus top 2 2014 Freshmen. #3 seems to be Ermon Lane (FSU). But I personally have Allen Lazard (Iowa State) at #3: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/475375/allen-lazard

Malachi Dupre is right up there as well. He's the better athlete of the two and has some polish himself. Nice double move right here: http://youtu.be/9rmpPZPTwsM?t=42s

He had some reps against Freshman 5* Alabama CB Tony Brown (#108) in the video, too.

Dupre is a nice consolation if you miss out on Malone. Here he is recently showing off some dunks: http://www.tigerdroppings.com/news/105535/51189348/LSU-WR-Malachi-Dupre-Late-Night-Dunk-Session?sect=home_main

These guys are the consensus top 2 2014 Freshmen. #3 seems to be Ermon Lane (FSU). But I personally have Allen Lazard (Iowa State) at #3: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/475375/allen-lazard
I think Malone is much more explosive up the field than Dupre, but Dupre looks like he can adjust and has better ball skills. Both of them are the top two as you said.

Lazard is long and can high point, just don't see the speed of Malone or Dupre. Nice guy I haven't heard of before though.

I've seen Deontay Greenberry compared to AJ Green, but the closest thing to Green right now is UNC WR Bug Howard. Watch this leaping catch:

http://youtu.be/pRkwzTujYd4?t=1m10s

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtfQZjgCIAEoUvs.jpg

He recently tested with a 39.5" vertical: https://twitter.com/simonhaake/status/489147095438610432

This is the UNC strength coach:

My guys Bug Howard (Vert 39.5), Damien Washington (Broad 10'8), and Ryan Switzer (5-10-5 in 3.77s) with the top results for the day! GoHeels

Last edited by a moderator:
Elijah Hood is an 18-year old (birthday was in April) Freshman RB for North Carolina and he squats 605 lbs.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1423223.html

GREENSBORO, N.C. – Elijah Hood arrived at North Carolina in January with a five-star recruit ranking and lofty expectations in tow. UNC head coach Larry Fedora didn’t shy away from adding to the hype surrounding his rookie running back at the ACC Kickoff media event on Monday.

“He’s special,” Fedora told reporters at Grandover Resort. “You don’t have a lot of kids like that in any program I’ve been in.”

Hood, a consensus top-10 running back in the country and the U.S. Army Game Player of the Year, is a true power back with a slick set of wheels.

“He’s 225 pounds, he’s got great speed and he likes to run into things,” Fedora said. “He really does. When he breaks through, he’s not necessarily looking to avoid contact. He’s looking for somebody to run into. Our team, their team, it doesn’t matter to him. It’s just that he wants something to hit.”

Hood lived up to his billing during UNC’s 15 spring practices, prompting Fedora and offensive coordinator Seth Littrell to consider utilizing more two-back sets to maximize the talent at running back.

While it’s too early for Fedora to speculate about Hood’s role in the offense – UNC opens training camp on Aug. 1 – a planned red-shirt is off the table.

“He’s going to play in the first game if he’s healthy,” Fedora said. “His production is going to determine how much he plays in the next game and the next game.”

Hood’s center of gravity and vision were on display during the spring game, while his 605-pound squat made the rounds on Twitter on Friday. Fedora told reporters that the Charlotte, N.C. product could have squatted more had the strength and conditioning staff not stopped him.

“I've seen offensive linemen doing that, but he's a running back squatting 605?” quarterback Marquise Williams said on Sunday. “I've never seen that a day in my life.”

One overlooked aspect of the running back’s role is pass protection. Sophomore T.J. Logan admittedly struggled in that regard last fall. For Hood, however, blocking hasn’t been an issue.

Fedora praised the freshman for his ability to grasp the protection concepts, including blitz recognition and understanding who to pick up.

“He blew me away in how quickly he picked those up,” Fedora said. “Faster than any freshman running back I’ve ever had. And the way he picked up the offense… he was doing things I’ve never had a freshman running back do. And I’m talking protection; I’m not talking about carrying the football.”

Which, by all accounts, is how Hood (3,690 yards, 53 TDs in '13) earned his five-star recruit ranking.

tdmills said:
Xue said:
tdmills said:
I like Hood quite a bit, he's fast for such a stocky player.
His talent is right up there with Nick Chubb. Surprised there isn't as much hype yet. Both of those guys have NFL bodies already.
I'm not as high on Chubb as others right now. I don't see RB skills as much with him.
I think he's actually pretty good in this regard. We know he's built like a brick house with 10.69 speed in the 100m, but he's not just a physical specimen. I've seen some evidence in his highlights that he has good instincts, vision, and elusiveness. He's not the type to juke someone out of his socks in the open field, but his ability to run in traffic is actually pretty impressive. He can make some nice sharp cuts against the grain. He is far from being a pure straight-line bull, as you can see in some of these clips:

http://youtu.be/J5BPEbe-xAk?t=1m33s

He's actually a pretty loose, bouncy runner. The more I watch the incoming freshmen and the underclassmen, the more convinced I am that he's one of the better values out there in the devy RB pool. His ceiling is as high as anybody's, but he's not ranked that high and he doesn't go early in most drafts. I think he has a very good chance to give you a big ROI if you buy right now, like Tyner a year ago. All the talent and tools are there to generate a huge buzz 1-2 years down the road. He's probably going to be a top 5-6 RB on my all-class board and I just took him at 1.05 in an all-class devy draft with a few players out of the pool from previous years.

tdmills said:
Xue said:
tdmills said:
His talent is right up there with Nick Chubb. Surprised there isn't as much hype yet. Both of those guys have NFL bodies already.
I'm not as high on Chubb as others right now. I don't see RB skills as much with him.
I think he's actually pretty good in this regard. We know he's built like a brick house with 10.69 speed in the 100m, but he's not just a physical specimen. I've seen some evidence in his highlights that he has good instincts, vision, and elusiveness. He's not the type to juke someone out of his socks in the open field, but his ability to run in traffic is actually pretty impressive. He can make some nice sharp cuts against the grain. He is far from being a pure straight-line bull, as you can see in some of these clips:

He's actually a pretty loose, bouncy runner. The more I watch the incoming freshmen and the underclassmen, the more convinced I am that he's one of the better values out there in the devy RB pool. His ceiling is as high as anybody's, but he's not ranked that high and he doesn't go early in most drafts. I think he has a very good chance to give you a big ROI if you buy right now, like Tyner a year ago. All the talent and tools are there to generate a huge buzz 1-2 years down the road. He's probably going to be a top 5-6 RB on my all-class board and I just took him at 1.05 in an all-class devy draft with a few players out of the pool from previous years.
I like Chubb, but not as much as others. I don't think his RB skills are on the same level as Hood or Fournette, that's not to say he's a terrible player.

The tough part in projecting RBs from HS to NCAA is the big guys are just so much bigger than their competition. Derrick Green and Macolm Brown are two examples of big RBs not living up to the hype.

tdmills said:
Xue said:
tdmills said:

I like Chubb, but not as much as others. I don't think his RB skills are on the same level as Hood or Fournette, that's not to say he's a terrible player.

The tough part in projecting RBs from HS to NCAA is the big guys are just so much bigger than their competition. Derrick Green and Macolm Brown are two examples of big RBs not living up to the hype.
Green and Brown weren't freakish athletes like Chubb. Green's HS highlights weren't even that impressive.

In a TE-Premium #Devy league, I'd find a way to roster Mike Gesicki.

So smooth, yet explosive.

If you're in a TE-premium league and want to take a chance on a Freshman TE. Well, check out Mavin Saunders, Florida State. He already has an NFL body at 6'6" 252lbs.

Played basketball in high school and was offered by UConn (who just won the national championshp this year), Auburn, and USC. Didn't play football until Junior year.

Texas A&M QB battle to be decided today...

SOPH Kenny Hill or FR Kyle Allen

Both guys have performed well in the spring, pretty much a dead heat after last nights scrimmage. Allen more of a down field passer and Hill more of a game manager type.

True Freshman Brad Kaaya named starting QB for Miami. He will be the next Teddy Bridgewater. Very similar type of game.

Almost time for this thread to pick up again.

Still enough time left to send out some offers for Nick Chubb and Michael Dyer in your dev leagues. ;)

I've spoken about Dyer ad nauseam, so no need to go down that road again.

Chubb isn't going to be the main man just yet with Gurley and Marshall already in the fold at Georgia, but I still think he has a pretty good chance to pull a Tyner/Henry and vault up into the consensus top 10 over the course of this season. His current ranking as the #50 dev player on DLF is very much out of sync with his value and upside, IMO. Good opportunity to get in on the ground floor right now because he has a pretty good chance of flashing in a big way over the next 1-2 seasons. 5'10" 228 with a 40"+ vertical, 10.7 speed in the 100m, and solid vision/cutting ability. Yikes. Buy, buy, buy.

Still enough time left to send out some offers for Nick Chubb and Michael Dyer in your dev leagues. ;)

Chubb isn't going to be the main man just yet with Gurley and Marshall already in the fold at Georgia, but I still think he has a pretty good chance to pull a Tyner/Henry and vault up into the consensus top 10 over the course of this season. His current ranking as the #50 dev player on DLF is very much out of sync with his value and upside, IMO. Good opportunity to get in on the ground floor right now because he has a pretty good chance of flashing in a big way over the next 1-2 seasons. 5'10" 228 with a 40"+ vertical, 10.7 speed in the 100m, and solid vision/cutting ability. Yikes. Buy, buy, buy.
Also because this is the "NON-draft eligible prospect" thread.

I'm interested to see how James Conner does this year. He's got surprisingly good wiggle and speed for a back his size. Someone definitely worth monitoring imo.

Derrick Green hasn't got much play in this thread. He was recently named the starter at Michigan and has seemingly dedicated himself this season in losing some weight and working hard. He's not so much a LenDale White clone anymore... I'll be watching him intently this weekend. Highly recruited and regarded coming out of HS.

Ricky Seals Jones and Speedy Noil are itching to torch some USC subpar corners. A&M might not win but there will be some offense Thursday night.

No Chubb owner in their right mind is giving him away cheaply.

I'm interested to see how James Conner does this year. He's got surprisingly good wiggle and speed for a back his size. Someone definitely worth monitoring imo.
Conner doesn't look explosive or special enough to be on Devy radars. He's going to playing some DE this year and might eventually be better there. The true Freshman RB Chris James looks to be more interesting. James ran a legit 4.48 40 at age 17 weighing 194 lbs. He's currently 210.

Conner doesn't look explosive or special enough to be on Devy radars. He's going to playing some DE this year and might eventually be better there. The true Freshman RB Chris James looks to be more interesting. James ran a legit 4.48 40 at age 17 weighing 194 lbs. He's currently 210.
Explosiveness definitely isn't his strong suit, but I still think he has what it takes to carve out a role in a RBBC in the NFL. The kind of guy certain coaches would disregard, but others would love. He played a bit of DE last year too, don't think he had much success with it. Too small and not quick twitch enough to be of much use as a DE/LB imo.

SouthBEast Mode has officially arrived:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11440392

Chubb again, earlier in the game:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11439916

He only had four carries, but he couldn't have been much more impressive. Broke numerous tackles and showed a serious burst of speed on the long TD. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of this over the course of the season. If he stays healthy during the next few years, he has a chance to be a special prospect.

Chubb is doing exactly what everyone expected. If you want real value, go after Greg Bryant.Jalen Hurd, Racean Thomas, Elijah Hood, or Dalvin Cook.

Chubb is doing exactly what everyone expected.
Really? Nobody at DLF has him rated higher than 31st overall right now. That doesn't scream sky high expectations.

For me he might be a top 10 overall dev prospect. The chance to buy him is evaporating quickly, but he's still a lot cheaper today than he will be after a season full of the kind of runs he was making in his debut. Not many players in CFB can match his NFL upside.

Chubb is doing exactly what everyone expected.
Really? Nobody at DLF has him rated higher than 31st overall right now. That doesn't scream sky high expectations.

For me he might be a top 10 overall dev prospect. The chance to buy him is evaporating quickly, but he's still a lot cheaper today than he will be after a season full of the kind of runs he was making in his debut. Not many players in CFB can match his NFL upside.
The DLF guys aren't as high on Chubb as others are. He should be in low to mid teens.Rankings don't always reflect value. Value is just mostly perception.

Chubb was taken after guys like Clement, Tyner, and Collins. No Chubb owner is going to trade him for any of those guys.

I hope people who drafted Leonard Fournette only did so to sell him high.

SouthBEast Mode has officially arrived:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11440392
Chubb looked great yesterday. His athleticism stands out on the field and it's obvious he's gifted. I'd say he needs to slow down his process of running though. He's young and hopefully that part of his game will develope as he becomes more comfortable. I'm sure the adrenalin was pumping hard in his first action.

The fact that a few devy junkies are significantly higher on Chubb than the consensus doesn't = he's "doing exactly what everyone expected." He wasn't even a first round pick in a lot of devy drafts. I don't put much stock in DLF's devy rankings, but they're probably pretty representative of the devy community bubble as a whole. Based on their list, there seem to be more people who don't rate Chubb as an elite asset right now than those who do.

It's also silly to suggest that the buy low window has closed for a guy after the first game of his college career. Especially when he only carried the ball 4 times. A full season of highlight reel runs will see his value rise exponentially. Think about the price that Gurley would've cost 3-4 games into his freshman season at UGA vs. the price people would pay for him now. Chubb is still years away from NFL impact and he'll have to prove that he has the durability and focus to last, but I find it unlikely that his average market price in a typical devy league where he's rostered will be prohibitive compared to the value he's likely to carry in another 5-15 months.

There's a saying that "you get what you pay for" and sometimes it's good to pay a high price for a guy who's destined to go higher. The DLF list has quite a few "meh" prospects ranked ahead of Chubb and if I owned those guys in leagues where Chubb was on another roster then I'd send some offers to test the waters.

Users who are viewing this thread