What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

marijuana winning big at the polls. CO/MASS/wash pass (3 Viewers)

The local news reported that they are selling ounces for $500.00

Is that correct?
Yeah, I read something similar. Prices will presumably come down -- right now there are only 37 places licensed in the whole state and they have limited supplies.
I'd certainly be home growing at those prices. It would nice to just buy an 1/8 to try out different strains and then buy clones for those strains to grow at home.
I find it hard to believe that these places will be selling their clones.

How does this system work?

Are there growers that sell to the state sanctioned dispensaries?

Are the growers regulated?
Everything is highly regulated -- you need to be licensed to grow commercially. Here's a good FAQ: http://www.thecannabist.co/2013/12/31/colorado-marijuana-guide-64-answers-commonly-asked-questions/1673/
Thanks for the info,

Is that correct?
Yeah, I read something similar. Prices will presumably come down -- right now there are only 37 places licensed in the whole state and they have limited supplies.
I'd certainly be home growing at those prices. It would nice to just buy an 1/8 to try out different strains and then buy clones for those strains to grow at home.

Other folks on the ground said they do. I've only bought seeds, but clones would be awesome.
According to an article the other day in the paper - growing from seeds is best as the cuttings are usually covered in mites and other bad things - you have to spray them daily for about a month. The experts from the article all agreed on seeds. http://www.denverpost.com/homegarden/ci_24782729/growing-your-own-marijuana-colorado-legal-doesnt-mean?IADID=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Is that correct?
Sounds about right. Looks like good strains run ~350/oz in Cali and the system is far more establshed there. Have to expect some "first to market" gouging right now.

My buddy out here gets Cali medical grade stuff brought in and pays $100/qtr. His contact brings it into Memphis in pretty high quantities so I'm sure cost of transport is somewhat diluted but it's still not cheap to ship and the risk of seizure has to certainly be amortized over shipments.

Is that correct?

Other folks on the ground said they do. I've only bought seeds, but clones would be awesome.
According to an article the other day in the paper - growing from seeds is best as the cuttings are usually covered in mites and other bad things - you have to spray them daily for about a month. The experts from the article all agreed on seeds. http://www.denverpost.com/homegarden/ci_24782729/growing-your-own-marijuana-colorado-legal-doesnt-mean?IADID=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com
So you can grow six (per adult) at a time but only three flowering at the same time.

I guess the way to go would be Hydro starting with seed,

You could keep one Mother and three clones in a veg room and 2 in a flowering room.

That would keep most smokers stocked up I guess.

Is that correct?

I'll just unleash my lady bug colony on them

Is that correct?
Sounds about right. Looks like good strains run ~350/oz in Cali and the system is far more establshed there. Have to expect some "first to market" gouging right now.

My buddy out here gets Cali medical grade stuff brought in and pays $100/qtr. His contact brings it into Memphis in pretty high quantities so I'm sure cost of transport is somewhat diluted but it's still not cheap to ship and the risk of seizure has to certainly be amortized over shipments.
I know it's been a long time since I smoked, and

at the risk of sounding like Tanner, who can remember a 10 cent loaf of bread that seems awful high.

Is that correct?

So you can grow six (per adult) at a time but only three flowering at the same time.

I guess the way to go would be Hydro starting with seed,

You could keep one Mother and three clones in a veg room and 2 in a flowering room.

That would keep most smokers stocked up I guess.
Yeah with an at most 3 month seed to harvest window you need maybe 2 plants. You're talking like 2-3 ounces minimum which should be more than enough even if you're smoking daily. You could grow a few more just in case you have some hermaphrodites.

I know it's been a long time since I smoked, and

at the risk of sounding like Tanner, who can remember a 10 cent loaf of bread that seems awful high.
You get what you pay for.

Yes, that's pretty high, but you're talking about serious grade stuff here. This isn't your usual mexi-brick weed or even middling "kind bud". This level of stuff is generally face melting grade. A little goes a long way.

Back when I smoked a bit, the standard price was about $90-100/qtr for "good stuff" (which doesn't compare to what you get from those dispensaries). $25-30/qtr for crap... $50-60/qtr for clean midgrade was what I used to see. That's memphis, of course so prices may differ through markets.

You know, we've been pretty easy on presidential candidates about this issue in recent elections, kinda sorta understanding that the Dems have to be cautious and not appear too radical, and having no expectations of Repubs at all (remember Romney being confronted by a medical marijuana advocate and grimly telling the guy that he doesn't favor the availability of medical marijuana -- I wonder what that cost him votewise).

Will expectations of relaxing federal weed policy be much higher in 2016? Will the ultimate Dem candidate have to declare an end to the WOD and removal of pot from Schedule 1? And how will a Repub candidate hope to have a snowball's chance of winning a swing state where 60% of the voters are in favor of legalization (or have already done so on a statewide basis)?

I'm sure the politicians will just lie like Obama did. Didn't he say he was for legalization, and then federal raids actually increased? I think they have since slowed down, but in his 1st term he made no headway on the issue at all. He is still pretty quiet on the issue despite being in the Choom Gang.

I understand that it's a peripheral issue but it's still hard for me to believe that any meaningful percentage of the 58% of voters who favor legalization/decriminalization are gonna take a candidate seriously who, at best, ducks the question or who, at worst, declares that we have become too lax and he will order the DEA to tighten down the screws. I don't think a person like that can get elected in 2016, small issue or not. Take away granny's medication and hundreds of millions of tax revenues from the states? Good luck with that.

You know, we've been pretty easy on presidential candidates about this issue in recent elections, kinda sorta understanding that the Dems have to be cautious and not appear too radical, and having no expectations of Repubs at all (remember Romney being confronted by a medical marijuana advocate and grimly telling the guy that he doesn't favor the availability of medical marijuana -- I wonder what that cost him votewise).

Will expectations of relaxing federal weed policy be much higher in 2016? Will the ultimate Dem candidate have to declare an end to the WOD and removal of pot from Schedule 1? And how will a Repub candidate hope to have a snowball's chance of winning a swing state where 60% of the voters are in favor of legalization (or have already done so on a statewide basis)?
If Rand Paul is the republican nominee, he could be out ahead of the Democrats on this.

I'm sure the politicians will just lie like Obama did. Didn't he say he was for legalization
Haha, no.
The guy had a weed gang called the Choom Group for gosh sakes. He certainly wasn't against it
What are Republicans gonna do about this issue, try to minimize it? That might be hard to do as Dem candidates will call for a "realistic" approach to marijuana policy, which is code for backing off prohibition while not actually appearing to be some kind of radical, and then make sure the public is aware that the opposition wants to reverse the trend of the past few years. Could a Repub candidate call for a "realistic" approach and have any kind of shot at the nomination?

I'm sure the politicians will just lie like Obama did. Didn't he say he was for legalization
Haha, no.
The guy had a weed gang called the Choom Group for gosh sakes. He certainly wasn't against it
What are Republicans gonna do about this issue, try to minimize it? That might be hard to do as Dem candidates will call for a "realistic" approach to marijuana policy, which is code for backing off prohibition while not actually appearing to be some kind of radical, and then make sure the public is aware that the opposition wants to reverse the trend of the past few years. Could a Repub candidate call for a "realistic" approach and have any kind of shot at the nomination?
I don't think it's obvious at all that the Democrats are significantly better than the Republicans on this one.

So how do they regulate the black market?
They don't. That's what makes it a black market.
I mean, with prices so high at the legit places, what's to stop the black market from continuing in the same manner with much lower prices (no tax) if there aren't harsher punishments?
Nothing. It's my understanding that there's still a pretty active black market in cigarettes due to high taxes in certain states.

One of the those victims was 29-year-old Jesse Bruce Pinkman, a former methamphetamine dealer from Albuquerque who had recently moved to Boulder to establish a legal marijuana dispensary.

Pinkman was partying with friends when he suffered several seizures and a massive heart attack which ultimately proved to be fatal. Toxicology reports revealed that marijuana was the only drug present in his system.

"This is just a terrible tragedy," says his friend Peter, "Jesse was trying to go legit and now this happens? I guess drugs really are as dangerous as they say."

One of the those victims was 29-year-old Jesse Bruce Pinkman, a former methamphetamine dealer from Albuquerque who had recently moved to Boulder to establish a legal marijuana dispensary.

Pinkman was partying with friends when he suffered several seizures and a massive heart attack which ultimately proved to be fatal. Toxicology reports revealed that marijuana was the only drug present in his system.

"This is just a terrible tragedy," says his friend Peter, "Jesse was trying to go legit and now this happens? I guess drugs really are as dangerous as they say."
I wonder if Walt Jr. laced Pinkman's weed...

Haha, no.
I don't think it's obvious at all that the Democrats are significantly better than the Republicans on this one.
They haven't been much friendlier at all. But I think it's pretty safe to say that Dem candidates for national office in 2016 will be far less likely to be openly hostile to decriminalization. I don't think a Dem can proclaim support for toughening marijuana restrictions and have a decent chance of getting the nomination for president. A similar stance won't hurt Ted Cruz's chance of procuring the nomination one little bit.

NJ Weedman just says no to Chris Christie

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4537912/?ir=Weird+News

The 49-year-old Rastafarian, who is currently serving a nine-month sentence on a 2010 marijuana possession conviction and subsequent probation violation, spoke to My9NJ about the ads while out of jail for his court-approved 10-day grace period. Every month, Forchion is permitted to fly to California for bone cancer treatment, which includes medical marijuana.

Im clearly a marijuana patient. The judge will let me out to go to California, knowing Im going to get marijuana as soon as I walk out the door, Forchion told NJ.com in November. I go to California, where Im treated like a patient for a few days, then I have to turn around and go back to prison.

Is that correct?

I'll just unleash my lady bug colony on them
Lady bugs like warm lights. ..

So, I legally purchased marijuana for recreational use in Colorado over the weekend. It was a pretty awesome experience.

I had gone by one of my local recreational dispensaries a couple times earlier in the week, but was deterred by the long lines stretching out the door and sometimes down the block. Denver got about 5-6 inches of snow on Saturday, so I thought it would be worth going by a dispensary while the city and streets were relatively quiet due to the weather.

My wife and I went by a place called The Green Solution over on the west side of Denver. I was relieved to see that there was no line outside when we pulled up. There were probably about 20 people standing in the lobby waiting to check in. The line was composed of a pretty wide range of ages and races from your typical Colorado 20- and 30-something couples or groups of friends, to some middle-aged Mexican guys, to a couple 45-50 year old white women, to your stereotypical early 20's stoners who made a weed pilgrimage from Nebraska. The girl at the front desk checked IDs to make sure that you were at least 21 years old and entered some basic information into their system. She told the customers that the information was for internal use only and is not placed in any state database (I believe the dispensaries have to ensure that they don't sell more than the legal limit to a person in one day). After you pass the ID check, you get to enter into the back room of the dispensary. And that's when it gets pretty glorious.

The back room of the dispensary had large display cases along the walls that contained probably at least 30 different strains of marijuana, dozens of varieties of hash, all kinds of different edibles (candies, baked goods, THC-infused sodas), and pre-rolled joints and blunts. Each strain of marijuana had its own individual IPad screen that provided information about the name of the strain, the type of strain (sativa, indica, sativa-dominant hybrid, etc.), the tested potency of the various canniboids in the strain (THC, THCV, CBG, etc.), the tasting notes (blueberry, strawberry, bubblegum, blue cheese, etc.), and a description of the high (euphoric, creative, active, psychedelic, relaxing, sleepy, etc.). Here is an example of the IPad display screens about the strains. There were about six large flat screen TVs mounted on the walls that provided product pricing for both medical and recreational use, advertisements for various edible products, and a live video feed of their marijuana grow rooms on-site. I was impressed with how high tech and classy this place was.

We waited in another small line in the back room until a budtender is available to come serve you. The budtender essentially serves as your personal guide throughout the marijuana purchasing experience. She asks what you are looking for (flower, hash, edibles, etc.) and then guides you through the different sections. Here is a picture of the hash section and the clone bar. I told her I was primarily interested in flower, so she took me to the back wall where they had nuggets of each of the different strains on display with the accompanying IPad of information about the strain. The budtender asks a bunch of questions about what type of high you are looking for, so that she can make an appropriate strain recommendation. I asked about some of her favorite sativa-dominant and indica-dominant hybrids, and she pulled out several beakers from behind the counter so that I could closely examine and smell the buds. The appearance and smell of the buds were absolutely phenomenal. I ultimately decided to get an eighth of Kali Mist, a sativa-dominant hybrid, and an eighth of Star 47, an indica-dominant hybrid.

Here is a picture of the Kali Mist and the Star 47. Pretty ridiculous looking stuff, huh?

The budtender also asks you if you need any smoking accessories, such as rolling papers, bongs, or vaporizers. Once you place your order, the budtender enters it into the computer and someone in the back weighs out the marijuana and puts it in cylindrical plastic green medicine jars. When your order is ready, they call you up to a line of registers to pay. At this location, they accepted cash and debit cards with a PIN number. My total for a total of a quarter ounce of their highest grade recreational marijuana was $80 after taxes -- probably $20-25 more expensive than marijuana typically is for medical purposes but still about $40 cheaper than it would generally cost on the black market in major cities in prohibition states. The price for an ounce of top shelf for medical patients was $199 whereas it was $239 for recreational use after taxes. For the quality of product that I purchased legally from a high tech retail store, I have no complaints about the price. I also picked up a t-shirt to commemorate the experience, which brought my total to an even $100.

It was truly a great experience inside the dispensary. Everyone was in a great mood with huge smiles on their faces. I witnessed more high fives during the 20 minutes that I was in the back room of the dispensary than I've seen in the past year combined. The guy behind me said it was the greatest day of his life. The entire visit took about 40 minutes from the time we walked in the door until we left with my legally purchased bag of world class marijuana.

It's a new frontier out here in Colorado. I hope the rest of the country follows Colorado's lead and ends the senseless prohibition on marijuana.

Haha, no.
It's easy to minimize, simply say we've got bigger things to worry about and move on. Republicans in states where they have the majority won't even address it.

There are some states where this is going to be popular, and some where it won't.

Haha, no.
It's easy to minimize, simply say we've got bigger things to worry about and move on. Republicans in states where they have the majority won't even address it.

There are some states where this is going to be popular, and some where it won't.
If this is asked in a debate, you're probably going to have to do a little better than that.

Haha, no.

If this is asked in a debate, you're probably going to have to do a little better than that.
Why? At least for the time being, there is literally nobody that I know of who is actively campaigning in support of legalization. I would love for that to change, but right now this is an issue that both parties agree on, which is why legalization efforts have had to go the route of ballot initiatives.

Haha, no.

Why? At least for the time being, there is literally nobody that I know of who is actively campaigning in support of legalization. I would love for that to change, but right now this is an issue that both parties agree on, which is why legalization efforts have had to go the route of ballot initiatives.
My larger point was that I think this issue will have to be addressed differently in the near future. For Democrats, challengers from within are gonna make it an issue to garner attention (as is happening in the gubernatorial primary here in Maryland). For Republicans, the list of issues they need to "minimize" because they're on the minority side of them is getting longer. "Let's not talk about medical marijuana, let's not talk about birth control and health care, let's not talk about same-sex marriage -- we've got more important issues to discuss!"

And that's actually true. But the message they're trying to get across on the larger issues of governance tends to get obscured a little when a growing majority of the electorate thinks you're wrong on smaller issues that affect their daily lives directly.

How much are the clones? And can you purchase a clone if you are from out-of-state? :oldunsure:
The clones are generally around $15 a plant. I believe that the dispensaries are permitted to sell plants and seeds to recreational users under the new law, but I'm not sure about out-of-state residents. It seems like it would be a reasonable regulation to prohibit the sale of plants and seeds to out-of-state residents.

Haha, no.

You're probably right. Even if the question was asked in a debate and even if an even greater majority of the public was for legalization, its an answer you could easily get burnt on.

If you're a nonresident, I understand a ¼ ounce is the limit for one transaction. But where can one go smoke legally as a nonresident? I'm guessing hotels are probably going to frown on it?? And public parks are going to be out.

Where can I light up?

You won't be allowed to smoke pot in public and, in fact, can't even smoke in the pot shop or other establishments governed by the state's Clean Indoor Air Act.

That leaves the smoking to private properties, with the owner's permission.

Communities and counties can still choose not to allow recreational marijuana stores in their local jurisdictions, and a good many towns have, such as Colorado Springs and Greeley.

Meanwhile, ski resorts are concerned about scofflaws lighting up while on the slopes, with smoke intruding on family outings.

Users who are viewing this thread