What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What has been invented in the 21st century? (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
Talking about this with a friend yesterday. The 19th century saw the invention of the automobile, the telephone, radio, etc. The 20th brought us the airplane, television, space travel, the computer, the internet. Thus far, we're about 1/8 of the way into the 21st century and it seems (to the layman at least) like innovation has been almost exclusively about the betterment of currently existing technology, rather than any dramatic breakthroughs in new technology. To wit, the proliferation of cell phones/smart phones, mobile internet, self-driving cars, electric/hybrid engines, HD/3D TV, etc.Is there anything on the horizon that would be considered something new and original that is poised to make inroads on the collective consciousness in the same way that some of the aforementioned inventions have done? Or have we come close to inventing everything that's to be invented and are now focusing largely on process improvement?

Is there anything on the horizon that would be considered something new and original that is poised to make inroads on the collective consciousness in the same way that some of the aforementioned inventions have done? Or have we come close to inventing everything that's to be invented and are now focusing largely on process improvement?
You forgot the most important "invention" of the 20th century. Anyway...EnergyBiotechMedicalSpace Exploration...are all going to blow your mind in the next 50 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything on the horizon that would be considered something new and original that is poised to make inroads on the collective consciousness in the same way that some of the aforementioned inventions have done? Or have we come close to inventing everything that's to be invented and are now focusing largely on process improvement?
You forgot the most important "invention" of the 20th century. Anyway...EnergyBiotechMedicalSpace Exploration...are all going to blow your mind in the next 50 years.
I wasn't really trying to create a comprehensive list, just ticking off a few of the big ones that had come down the pike. Are they going to blow my mind with completely new and original ideas/products or simply improvements on existing technology? I understand that there's a subjective distinction to be made there, as one could say the automobile was "inspired by" or "an improvement upon" a horse-drawn buggy, it's just that the means of locomotion was changed. However, I think you get my drift.

I wasn't really trying to create a comprehensive list, just ticking off a few of the big ones that had come down the pike. Are they going to blow my mind with completely new and original ideas/products or simply improvements on existing technology? I understand that there's a subjective distinction to be made there, as one could say the automobile was "inspired by" or "an improvement upon" a horse-drawn buggy, it's just that the means of locomotion was changed. However, I think you get my drift.
Well, if I knew the specifics I would be getting rich. However....I think that energy will be improved upon - I think there will be new efficiencies created that make wind/solar/gas/nuclear more viable. I also think there will be improvements in consumption levels, which is good but not "new."I think Biotech will see some amazing new things. Bioengineered foods to help with famine around the world. Like the 20th centuries second most important invention (dwarf wheat), the 21st century should yield advancements that allow more people to be fed efficiently.Medical - I think we will see a number of diseases cured/treated that so far have been immune. Cancers and things like ALS and spinal injuries, etc are all ripe for improvement.Space - Sending people to mars is going to be pretty cool. No idea if that will require anything new, but we'regoing to do it.

when was 3D printing invented? I think the advances in 3D printing have a lot of potential to drive innovation

Converting natural energy to transportation is the next step forward.
Evilgrin is asking a tough question in this thread because we're being asked to imagine something that's really hard to imagine. If you had told someone in 1885 that there would be millions of horseless carriages on the roads a few decades hence, he wouldn't have been able to imagine that many people possibly having the need or money to drive one. Had you told me in 1965 that we would be routinely using portable phones and communicating with each other mostly by personal computer, I would've laughed, being unable to imagine that kind of technology being affordable enough to be widespread.I think the biggest advances will be in energy and transportation, too, partly because they're the areas of greatest need. Our transportation system is pretty primitive for a civilization with the technology that we have.But it's pretty interesting to wonder what will happen in our lifetimes that is completely unexpected.

Early years of thye 21st century have brought us the workable conceptualization of the smartphone, the Ipod and tablet computers. The origins of these may trace to the late 20th century, but the first iPod came out in 2001. Motion sensing gaming (Wii, Kinect).

Talking about this with a friend yesterday. The 19th century saw the invention of the automobile, the telephone, radio, etc. The 20th brought us the airplane, television, space travel, the computer, the internet. Thus far, we're about 1/8 of the way into the 21st century and it seems (to the layman at least) like innovation has been almost exclusively about the betterment of currently existing technology, rather than any dramatic breakthroughs in new technology. To wit, the proliferation of cell phones/smart phones, mobile internet, self-driving cars, electric/hybrid engines, HD/3D TV, etc.Is there anything on the horizon that would be considered something new and original that is poised to make inroads on the collective consciousness in the same way that some of the aforementioned inventions have done? Or have we come close to inventing everything that's to be invented and are now focusing largely on process improvement?
Bunch of cool stuff is coming. Gene therapy, 3 printing, advances in robotics, etc. In 20 years, the world will be a vastly different place.

Converting natural energy to transportation is the next step forward.
Evilgrin is asking a tough question in this thread because we're being asked to imagine something that's really hard to imagine. If you had told someone in 1885 that there would be millions of horseless carriages on the roads a few decades hence, he wouldn't have been able to imagine that many people possibly having the need or money to drive one. Had you told me in 1965 that we would be routinely using portable phones and communicating with each other mostly by personal computer, I would've laughed, being unable to imagine that kind of technology being affordable enough to be widespread.I think the biggest advances will be in energy and transportation, too, partly because they're the areas of greatest need. Our transportation system is pretty primitive for a civilization with the technology that we have.But it's pretty interesting to wonder what will happen in our lifetimes that is completely unexpected.
Agreed, it is tough. Last night, we were talking about how to imagine what doesn't yet exist and most of what we were coming up with were things like flying cars, personal jet-packs, virtual reality... things that technically may already exist in theory or in prototype but aren't really "available." I would consider a hovercraft a "new invention" even if it was technically an improvement on the automobile - that would be a leap forward similar to horse drawn carriage to gas powered auto was. I think that these things are actually achievable, as opposed to something like a teleporter, which may not ever be, or time travel, which isn't (as far as I'm concerned, I know there are some who disagree.)

Early years of thye 21st century have brought us the workable conceptualization of the smartphone, the Ipod and tablet computers. The origins of these may trace to the late 20th century, but the first iPod came out in 2001. Motion sensing gaming (Wii, Kinect).
Tablet computers and motion-sensing gaming are two we discussed. Those are probably the best examples either of us could come up with, but in both cases (more so with the tablets), I think they fall under improvement of existing technology rather than brand new technology (making a PC portable or using motion instead of buttons on a console controller.)

2000 - T.V. Oommen invents environmentally friendly transformer fluid from vegetable oil. 2001 - AbioCor artifical heart invented by Abiomed. 2001 - Dr. Kenneth Matsumaura and the Alin Foundation invents the artificial liver. 2001 - Aprillia invents the fuel cell bike. 2001 - PPG Industries invents self-cleaning windows. 2001 - Jonathan Ive's invention, the Apple's iPod, is publicly annnounced on October 23, 2001. 2001 - David and Jay Groen, two brothers from Utah perfect the gyroplane. 2001 - Wilkinson Eyre Architects and Gifford and Partners, civil engineers invent the Millenium Bridge an alternate design to the drawbridge. 2002 - Ryan Patterson invents the Braille Glove. 2002 - British Waterways Scotland invents the Falkirk Wheel, the World's First Rotating Boat Lift 2002 - Ortho McNeil Pharmaceutical invents the birth control patch. 2002 - Richard Merrill invents the Date Rape Drug Spotter. 2002 - Jorg Schlaich invents the Solar Tower. 2002 - Canesta and VKB invent the virtual keyboard. 2003 - Alex Zettl invents the nanoscale motor small enough to ride on the back of a virus. 2003 - Toyota's Hybrid Car is introduced in Japan. 2003 - Claudia Escobar and Skini invent Salmon Skin Leather used primarily in bikinis. 2003 - Rod Sprules invents the Java Log made from used coffee grinds. 2003 - Singapore Technologies Electronics and the Singapore Defense Science and Technology Agency invent Infrared Fever Screening System used to scan for people with high temperature or SARS in public buildings. 2003 - Adam Whiton and Yolita Nugent invent the No-Contact Jacket that protects that wearer by electric shocking any attackers. 2004 - Intel Express Chipsets are invented by Gransdale and Alderwood; they will provide built-in sound and video capabilities for the PC. 2004 - St. George's Medical School in London invents a process to grow vaccines in plants leading the way for cheaply manufactured vaccines. 2004 - SonoPrep, that injects medication by sound wave, is invented by bioengineer Robert Langer . 2005 - YouTube is invented by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim. 2005 - An international team of British, American, and Japanese, scientists believes it has found a master switch for cancer which they have called Pokemon (for POK erythroid myeloid ontogenic factor) . 2005 - Smart plastics that change shape with certain light wavelengths are invented. 2006 - Infrared alcohol test is invented in Albuquerque, N.M. for quickly identifying drunk drivers. 2006 - The Clever Car which runs on natural gas, getting 108 m.p.g. is invented by BMW, and various European institutions. 2006 - Tesla Motors invents the Tesla Roadster 100 that runs on a huge lithium-ion battery taking it up to 250 highway miles. 2006 - Shanghai-based Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies invents a toy car powered by hydrogen extracted from tap water. 2006 - Aqua Sciences invents, 'The Rainmaker', which harvents drinking water out of the air. 2006 - Allerca invents a mixed breed hypoallergenic cat. 2006 - INSCENTINEL of Britain invents a system to train bees to detect explosions, 2006 - HelioVolt invents Solar Skin, which can be printed directly onto glass, metal and other building materials so skyscrapers will go up solar ready. 2007 - Jonathan Ive of England invents the iPhone for Apple. 2007 - Bruce Crower invents a steam/gasoline hybrid car that travels 40% farther than traditional gas powered engines. 2007 - A British research team led by Sir Magdi Yacoub, a professor of cardiac surgery at Imperial College London and one of the world's leading heart surgeons, invents a process to grow part of a human heart from stem cells for the first time. 2007 - The Espresso Book Machine is invented which prints out a 300 page novel in 3 minutes at $3 a book. 2007 - Sony invents the Bio Cell, a battery that runs on any sugary solution and glucose-digesting enzymes to extract electrons creating electricity. 2007 - Frank Pringle of Global Resource Corp invents an emission-free process for pulling oil out of shale rock, tires and plastic using microwaves. 2007 - Henry Liu invents a process to compress mercury-laced ash, from coal power plants, into bricks made at room temperature also conserving energy. 2007 - Hyshot Scramjet Engine is invented by a team from the University of Queensland led by Professor Allan Paull. It is designed to boost a vehicle to hypersonic speeds. 2007 - Alex Zettl invents a nanoscale radio receiver. 2007 - The Electro Needle Biomedical Sensor Array is invented. It is a patch that takes blood readings without external extraction of the blood. 2007 - Dow Corning invents special clothing for bikers that remains soft unless impacted by a fall upon which time the entire piece of clothing becomes ridgid, protecting the body. 2008 - TX Active, a smog-eating cement is invented by the Italian Company, Italcementi, which destroy airborne pollutants by up to 60%. 2008 - Flying Windmills are invented by Sky Windpower, a San Diego company that extracts energy from the jet stream possibly satisfying the planets energy requirements. 2008 - The Deakin T-squared Green Car is invented by students from Deakin University in Melborne, Victoria Australia. It uses compressed air as its fuel and is, therefore, a zero emission vehicle. It is cheap to produce since it uses light-weight materials, only has three wheels and uses a 'drive by wire' system meaning that there is no steering rack or steering rod. A person controls the vehicle by an electronic connection rather than by a mechanical connection between the hands and wheel. 2008 - Spray on Skin Gun is developed by Australian Dr. Fiona Wood that uses a persons own stem cells for regenerating skin tissue. 2008 - The Nintendo Wii is released which is the first interactive gaming system. 2009 - The Sixth Sense wearable gestural interface is invented letting natural hand gestures interact with a computer. 2009 - Retinal Implants are invented by the Retinal Implant Research Group. It is a microelectronic implant that restores vision to patients with macular degeneration and blindness. 2009 - Tank-bred Tuna System is invented by Clean Seas Tuna of Port Augusta, Australia. 2011 - Swedish Engineer, Alex Breton invents the Print Brush, a combination camera, injet printer that can take a picture and then 'brush' the picture onto any medium. 2011 - The Bed Bug Detective utilizes a digitized organic compound sensor that detects bedbugs by sensing two pheromones that they produce.

In 20 years, the world will be a vastly different place.
That's kind of what prompted the whole discussion. I thought back to 20 years ago and what was different, and aside from the internet and cell phones, I don't really see that much different. Sure, TVs have a better picture, music is stored digitally rather than physically, and cars use less (or no) gas, but aside from the fact that everyone is walking around wired into the 'net and staring at a smart phone, I didn't think of a whole lot that's NEW. The internet is really the last big thing, and that's close to 20 years old now. I'm wondering what's next. Aren't we all?

2000 - T.V. Oommen invents environmentally friendly transformer fluid from vegetable oil. 2001 - AbioCor artifical heart invented by Abiomed. 2001 - Dr. Kenneth Matsumaura and the Alin Foundation invents the artificial liver. 2001 - Aprillia invents the fuel cell bike. 2001 - PPG Industries invents self-cleaning windows. 2001 - Jonathan Ive's invention, the Apple's iPod, is publicly annnounced on October 23, 2001. 2001 - David and Jay Groen, two brothers from Utah perfect the gyroplane. 2001 - Wilkinson Eyre Architects and Gifford and Partners, civil engineers invent the Millenium Bridge an alternate design to the drawbridge. 2002 - Ryan Patterson invents the Braille Glove. 2002 - British Waterways Scotland invents the Falkirk Wheel, the World's First Rotating Boat Lift 2002 - Ortho McNeil Pharmaceutical invents the birth control patch. 2002 - Richard Merrill invents the Date Rape Drug Spotter. 2002 - Jorg Schlaich invents the Solar Tower. 2002 - Canesta and VKB invent the virtual keyboard. 2003 - Alex Zettl invents the nanoscale motor small enough to ride on the back of a virus. 2003 - Toyota's Hybrid Car is introduced in Japan. 2003 - Claudia Escobar and Skini invent Salmon Skin Leather used primarily in bikinis. 2003 - Rod Sprules invents the Java Log made from used coffee grinds. 2003 - Singapore Technologies Electronics and the Singapore Defense Science and Technology Agency invent Infrared Fever Screening System used to scan for people with high temperature or SARS in public buildings. 2003 - Adam Whiton and Yolita Nugent invent the No-Contact Jacket that protects that wearer by electric shocking any attackers. 2004 - Intel Express Chipsets are invented by Gransdale and Alderwood; they will provide built-in sound and video capabilities for the PC. 2004 - St. George's Medical School in London invents a process to grow vaccines in plants leading the way for cheaply manufactured vaccines. 2004 - SonoPrep, that injects medication by sound wave, is invented by bioengineer Robert Langer . 2005 - YouTube is invented by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim. 2005 - An international team of British, American, and Japanese, scientists believes it has found a master switch for cancer which they have called Pokemon (for POK erythroid myeloid ontogenic factor) . 2005 - Smart plastics that change shape with certain light wavelengths are invented. 2006 - Infrared alcohol test is invented in Albuquerque, N.M. for quickly identifying drunk drivers. 2006 - The Clever Car which runs on natural gas, getting 108 m.p.g. is invented by BMW, and various European institutions. 2006 - Tesla Motors invents the Tesla Roadster 100 that runs on a huge lithium-ion battery taking it up to 250 highway miles. 2006 - Shanghai-based Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies invents a toy car powered by hydrogen extracted from tap water. 2006 - Aqua Sciences invents, 'The Rainmaker', which harvents drinking water out of the air. 2006 - Allerca invents a mixed breed hypoallergenic cat. 2006 - INSCENTINEL of Britain invents a system to train bees to detect explosions, 2006 - HelioVolt invents Solar Skin, which can be printed directly onto glass, metal and other building materials so skyscrapers will go up solar ready. 2007 - Jonathan Ive of England invents the iPhone for Apple. 2007 - Bruce Crower invents a steam/gasoline hybrid car that travels 40% farther than traditional gas powered engines. 2007 - A British research team led by Sir Magdi Yacoub, a professor of cardiac surgery at Imperial College London and one of the world's leading heart surgeons, invents a process to grow part of a human heart from stem cells for the first time. 2007 - The Espresso Book Machine is invented which prints out a 300 page novel in 3 minutes at $3 a book. 2007 - Sony invents the Bio Cell, a battery that runs on any sugary solution and glucose-digesting enzymes to extract electrons creating electricity. 2007 - Frank Pringle of Global Resource Corp invents an emission-free process for pulling oil out of shale rock, tires and plastic using microwaves. 2007 - Henry Liu invents a process to compress mercury-laced ash, from coal power plants, into bricks made at room temperature also conserving energy. 2007 - Hyshot Scramjet Engine is invented by a team from the University of Queensland led by Professor Allan Paull. It is designed to boost a vehicle to hypersonic speeds. 2007 - Alex Zettl invents a nanoscale radio receiver. 2007 - The Electro Needle Biomedical Sensor Array is invented. It is a patch that takes blood readings without external extraction of the blood. 2007 - Dow Corning invents special clothing for bikers that remains soft unless impacted by a fall upon which time the entire piece of clothing becomes ridgid, protecting the body. 2008 - TX Active, a smog-eating cement is invented by the Italian Company, Italcementi, which destroy airborne pollutants by up to 60%. 2008 - Flying Windmills are invented by Sky Windpower, a San Diego company that extracts energy from the jet stream possibly satisfying the planets energy requirements. 2008 - The Deakin T-squared Green Car is invented by students from Deakin University in Melborne, Victoria Australia. It uses compressed air as its fuel and is, therefore, a zero emission vehicle. It is cheap to produce since it uses light-weight materials, only has three wheels and uses a 'drive by wire' system meaning that there is no steering rack or steering rod. A person controls the vehicle by an electronic connection rather than by a mechanical connection between the hands and wheel. 2008 - Spray on Skin Gun is developed by Australian Dr. Fiona Wood that uses a persons own stem cells for regenerating skin tissue. 2008 - The Nintendo Wii is released which is the first interactive gaming system. 2009 - The Sixth Sense wearable gestural interface is invented letting natural hand gestures interact with a computer. 2009 - Retinal Implants are invented by the Retinal Implant Research Group. It is a microelectronic implant that restores vision to patients with macular degeneration and blindness. 2009 - Tank-bred Tuna System is invented by Clean Seas Tuna of Port Augusta, Australia. 2011 - Swedish Engineer, Alex Breton invents the Print Brush, a combination camera, injet printer that can take a picture and then 'brush' the picture onto any medium. 2011 - The Bed Bug Detective utilizes a digitized organic compound sensor that detects bedbugs by sensing two pheromones that they produce.
Seriously, there's a bunch of stuff in here that's very cool and that I didn't even know existed. That's kind of the point, though - a self-cleaning window is bad-###, but have you ever even seen one? I'm wondering what the next invention to make a dramatic cultural impact is going to be. A smog-eating cement is amazing, but I doubt that's going to move the needle like the microwave or air conditioning did.

There was an article in our local paper a few weeks back making the same argument that we are stagnating. I call :bs:Smartphones and tablets might be an extension of existing technology ( I would argue they are more than that) but the public cloud is mostly new, certainly on the scale we see now. Instantaneous connection to (almost) anything from (almost) anywhere.On top of that, there are advances in nanotechnology and driverless cars will be upon us within this decade, to name but two.

2001 - Wilkinson Eyre Architects and Gifford and Partners, civil engineers invent the Millenium Bridge an alternate design to the drawbridge.
I'll never forget where I was when I heard.
Well but that isn't the point. Most people have no idea where they were when Packet-switching networks became viable in 1962. Doesn't mean it wasn't a big deal. Without packet switching there is no ARPANET in 1969 which of course went on to become the internet.

The current internet, smartphones, etc. aren't just improvements on existing technology, they are night and day from what we used to have.

Think about the huge, slow, black and white computers that could only handle kid-pix (and just barely) and maybe a word processor 20 years ago.

Today, we use a hand-held device that can do 100,000x as much 1000x as fast. Oh, and it's a cell phone too! (you know, that thing the size of a brick you used to carry in a shoe box-sized case in your car?

It's like saying a television is just an improvement to the light bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an article in our local paper a few weeks back making the same argument that we are stagnating. I call :bs:

Smartphones and tablets might be an extension of existing technology ( I would argue they are more than that) but the public cloud is mostly new, certainly on the scale we see now. Instantaneous connection to (almost) anything from (almost) anywhere.

On top of that, there are advances in nanotechnology and driverless cars will be upon us within this decade, to name but two.
Let me be clear...I'm not making this or any other argument here. The "we need to step it up" in the title is a joke. I'm asking a question, not making a statement.

The current internet, smartphones, etc. aren't just improvements on existing technology, they are night and day from what we used to have.

Think about the huge, slow, black and white computers that could only handle kid-pix (and just barely) and maybe a word processor 20 years ago.

Today, we use a hand-held device that can do 100,000x as much 1000x as fast. Oh, and it's a cell phone too! (you know, that thing the size of a brick you used to carry in a shoe box-sized case in your car?

I watched 'BBS: The Documentary' and I was blown away by how pathetic and expensive technology was relatively recently - a 5 MB (yes, megabyte) hard drive was $3000 in the early 80's.

Well the answer to the question is it's too soon to tell if we are stepping up or not. I often post articles about new inventions and treatments. Some will never be anything more than a curiosity, some will be mildly successful and one or two will lead to something huge. But we never really know what will go big and how long it will take.

I watched 'BBS: The Documentary' and I was blown away by how pathetic and expensive technology was relatively recently - a 5 MB (yes, megabyte) hard drive was $3000 in the early 80's.
I was selling 40 meg hard drives in 89 for 2500.00. Couldn't keep them in stock. Now you can get a 1 terabyte for under 100.

Not exactly. A better comparison would have been to sat television was an improvement to the radio, but even that isn't quite right.Again, I'm not saying we're stagnating or that modern technology isn't amazing or anything. I'm just wondering if we're reaching a point where improving existing technology/products has become more important than developing new ones. Have we reached a plateau of sorts? When you look at what 1900 America and 2000 America looked like, the difference is striking. Will 2100 as opposed to 2000 be nearly as radical? The 1800s and 1900s saw more growth in innovation than the thousands of years before it combined. Was this the golden age of invention, or are we still in it? Those kinds of things.

Well the answer to the question is it's too soon to tell if we are stepping up or not. I often post articles about new inventions and treatments. Some will never be anything more than a curiosity, some will be mildly successful and one or two will lead to something huge. But we never really know what will go big and how long it will take.
Agreed. I'm posing the question not looking for an answer, but some conversation.

Agreed. I'm posing the question not looking for an answer, but some conversation.
so... how's the family?

5 MB? that's more space than anybody would ever need

so... how's the family?
:lmao: Conversation relating to the topic at hand here. But they're all well, thanks for asking. :thumbup:

That's kind of what prompted the whole discussion. I thought back to 20 years ago and what was different, and aside from the internet and cell phones, I don't really see that much different. Sure, TVs have a better picture, music is stored digitally rather than physically, and cars use less (or no) gas, but aside from the fact that everyone is walking around wired into the 'net and staring at a smart phone, I didn't think of a whole lot that's NEW. The internet is really the last big thing, and that's close to 20 years old now. I'm wondering what's next. Aren't we all?
In 1993 I had a rotary phone in my house. My TV was a 27 inch curved screen box that was enormous. I drove a Dodge Spirit without power windows/locks, and only 1 airbag.The past 20 years, stuff has started happening, but I agree, its not DRASTIC changes. And it feels small because we lived through it as it gradually happened. But the thing to consider is how enabling the internet and smart phone revolution really is. People worldwide have access to an incredible ammount of information now... this should kick innovation into a higher gear. More brains have more resources and information available to them, more stuff should be invented.I really think that we're just about at the knee of the curve for technology. Progress seems to be quickening. If it is an exponential trend (1,1,2,4,16,256,65536,etc) then I think we're at about 16 right now. The next 20 to 40 years we move to 256. The subsequent 20 to 40 years we move to 65536, and at that point we are completely unrecognizable to our current selves.

There was an article in our local paper a few weeks back making the same argument that we are stagnating. I call :bs:

Smartphones and tablets might be an extension of existing technology ( I would argue they are more than that) but the public cloud is mostly new, certainly on the scale we see now. Instantaneous connection to (almost) anything from (almost) anywhere.

On top of that, there are advances in nanotechnology and driverless cars will be upon us within this decade, to name but two.
Let me be clear...I'm not making this or any other argument here. The "we need to step it up" in the title is a joke. I'm asking a question, not making a statement.
OK, got it. Thought you were making a statement.

In 1993 I had a rotary phone in my house. My TV was a 27 inch curved screen box that was enormous. I drove a Dodge Spirit without power windows/locks, and only 1 airbag.The past 20 years, stuff has started happening, but I agree, its not DRASTIC changes. And it feels small because we lived through it as it gradually happened. But the thing to consider is how enabling the internet and smart phone revolution really is. People worldwide have access to an incredible ammount of information now... this should kick innovation into a higher gear. More brains have more resources and information available to them, more stuff should be invented.I really think that we're just about at the knee of the curve for technology. Progress seems to be quickening. If it is an exponential trend (1,1,2,4,16,256,65536,etc) then I think we're at about 16 right now. The next 20 to 40 years we move to 256. The subsequent 20 to 40 years we move to 65536, and at that point we are completely unrecognizable to our current selves.
Right. In 1993, though, you had a phone, a TV, and a car. You now have a better phone, TV, and car. What do you have now that you DIDN'T have then? That's the source of the discussion.I agree that the internet is an invention/creation that rivals the other major inventions of the past centuries. It's probably the greatest thing man has developed in the past 50 years. You didn't have internet in 1993. What I'm wondering is, what will you have in 2035 that you don't have now?

Moore's Law basically, but that is linear and not exponential.

I think EG is right, despite the long term trend in information explosion, new product introductions and patents, we're due for a slow century.

Right. In 1993, though, you had a phone, a TV, and a car. You now have a better phone, TV, and car. What do you have now that you DIDN'T have then? That's the source of the discussion.I agree that the internet is an invention/creation that rivals the other major inventions of the past centuries. It's probably the greatest thing man has developed in the past 50 years. You didn't have internet in 1993. What I'm wondering is, what will you have in 2035 that you don't have now?
In 1993 I was a child in a middle class home in the first world. Yes, I had those things, and now I have better versions of those things.Think outside yourself though. Think of some dude in India who didn't have running water then who now has a smart phone.

I think EG is right, despite the long term trend in information explosion, new product introductions and patents, we're due for a slow century.
Nope if anything the rate of invention is progressing geometrically. We aren't slowing down at all.

In 1993 I was a child in a middle class home in the first world. Yes, I had those things, and now I have better versions of those things.Think outside yourself though. Think of some dude in India who didn't have running water then who now has a smart phone.
That's not really germane to the topic, though. Those things had already been invented. I'm interested in what's next, not when the current iteration of modern technology will make its way to third-world countries.

EG, the genetic revolution is going to drastically change health care in the very near future.
How so? I admittedly know little about this topic, so any information/thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.
Cost of DNA sequencing falling at a fast pace, will be under a grand to have it done within the next 2 years. Meanwhile the ability to manipulate DNA is growing as well. Soon we'll have DNA screening as a regular part of health care, basically if your DNA says you have X health risk, you'll be able to take preventive measures to avoid/postpone that risk. Then, as gene therapy matures a bit more, we'll be able to replace part of the DNA that are associated with X health risk, removing that risk from you entirely.And guess what, cancer has DNA. So, once gene therapy matures it can be used to cure cancer, among its many other applications.

Users who are viewing this thread