What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Path of Exile (free to play & now on Xbone) (4 Viewers)

'Dragons said:
Anyone need Vaal Oversoul in Cruel? I made it to him and am afraid to activate. :unsure: :unsure:
I can always bring a higher char to help, look me up. Smuch or SmuchEK.
I'm game to help PL and trade services. Power leveling is a tale as old as time.
Thanks, I whispered to the two FBGs that were online, but both were in camps and must have been afk.So after initiating and failing twice, I joined a group and ported up to make the final kill. In ACT III now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up for anyone here that needs help progressing. I typically play 4-5 days a week at least an hour or two a day in between 6pm CST and 2am CST.

If I'm ever online unless I'm afk (which is rare and if ever its only for a minute or two) I don't mind helping, just hit me up.

Ign: Star_IV

I like the new loot system. Going to be tough to get used to. Essentially if it is not greyed out it is yours, if it is greyed out it belongs to someone else. Eventually an invisible timer runs out and it opens up to everyone. The timer is longer, almost double, now. No names attached either.

I like the new loot system. Going to be tough to get used to. Essentially if it is not greyed out it is yours, if it is greyed out it belongs to someone else. Eventually an invisible timer runs out and it opens up to everyone. The timer is longer, almost double, now. No names attached either.
When did they patch that?

What level do you have to be to run maps. Do you have to have finished act 3 merc? I'd like to eventually run a couple of FBG maps.
Not sure on the level req, you probably should be close to 66 tho, all you have to do is get a port to the Gemling Queen (L3 Lunaris) and maybe complete the ribbon spool quest / open up blockage. Then the Laboratory wp shows up on your map.

'Run It Up said:
The economy is soooo interesting in this game.

I see this constantly in trade chat: wtb your exalt for 5 GCP

So I post: Selling my exalt for 7 of your GCP

What happens next is an all out flame war against me about how I am ripping people off etc. So I simply ask in trade chat for any of those who are bashing me to sell me their exalts at the 5 gcp rate that they say is fair. I did not get one taker. So I bumped my offer up to 6 GCP per exalt and not one taker. So I call them out on it for being frauds and their response: "crickets"

So here is what I have been selling (numerous times) at regardless of what any website says

60 alts for 7 chaos

1 gcp for 4 chaos

1 exalt for 7 gcp

20 chisels for 7-8 chaos

1 fusing for 1 chaos

Keep in mind you will get bashed at these prices, but they do sell.

Walking a thin line tbh. Bartering is bartering is bartering, but there is still an accepted relative value of currency.There is a huge difference between 5 and 7 gcp (6 chaos). Exalted are widely accepted to be approximately 15 chaos/5 gcp. So you can see how adding 6 chaos to 15 chaos is an outrageous price increase.

I'm willing to bend on prices, but 140% is substantial.
But the point is the sell at the rates I mentioned. It is only widely "accepted" to be 15 chaos because a website says so. It is no where close to what is actually going on in the market. People want to purchase them all day at that price but NOBODY is selling them.

'Run It Up said:

What happens next is an all out flame war against me about how I am ripping people off etc. So I simply ask in trade chat for any of those who are bashing me to sell me their exalts at the 5 gcp rate that they say is fair. I did not get one taker. So I bumped my offer up to 6 GCP per exalt and not one taker. So I call them out on it for being frauds and their response: "crickets"

So here is what I have been selling (numerous times) at regardless of what any website says

60 alts for 7 chaos

1 gcp for 4 chaos

1 exalt for 7 gcp

20 chisels for 7-8 chaos

1 fusing for 1 chaos

Walking a thin line tbh. Bartering is bartering is bartering, but there is still an accepted relative value of currency.There is a huge difference between 5 and 7 gcp (6 chaos). Exalted are widely accepted to be approximately 15 chaos/5 gcp. So you can see how adding 6 chaos to 15 chaos is an outrageous price increase.

But the point is the sell at the rates I mentioned. It is only widely "accepted" to be 15 chaos because a website says so. It is no where close to what is actually going on in the market. People want to purchase them all day at that price but NOBODY is selling them.
Well two things, first whatever garbage currency guides that exist on the internet have no barring on the value of currencies. Some people look to them as guides but in reality the people that know the prices of items also know how to value currency, these same people are the vast majority of movers in terms of buying and selling.Second, there is a flat floor for currency, established by vendor conversion prices. There is a relative ceiling of currency that is determined by supply and demand. Just because someone over or under paid for something does not mean the value of the currency has changed at all. Currency fluctuates all the time, nearly every patch. There should be a measured linear growth of inflation taking place.

Seriously, just because someone can sell a 20% freezing pulse for 3 exalted (roughly 15 gcp) does not mean that it is worth 3 exalted. That line is a lot smaller when it comes to actual currency trades, because people try to game the system all day (likely the same people that run said currency guides), trying to buy low and sell high then convert them at the vendor and repeat.

1 currency conversion which I think is pretty irrefutable is:

1 scouring + 1 alch = 1 chaos

or put another way:

2 alch = 1 chaos

2 scouring = 1 chaos

If anything the left hand side is worth a little bit more just because scourings have multiple purposes (remove props from magic, remove props from rare, de-level a gem). The 1 Alch + scouring also allows you to more cheaply improve the quality of a rare (albeit at the expense of losing the original rare props).

'Run It Up said:

60 alts for 7 chaos

1 gcp for 4 chaos

1 exalt for 7 gcp

20 chisels for 7-8 chaos

1 fusing for 1 chaos

Well two things, first whatever garbage currency guides that exist on the internet have no barring on the value of currencies. Some people look to them as guides but in reality the people that know the prices of items also know how to value currency, these same people are the vast majority of movers in terms of buying and selling.Second, there is a flat floor for currency, established by vendor conversion prices. There is a relative ceiling of currency that is determined by supply and demand. Just because someone over or under paid for something does not mean the value of the currency has changed at all. Currency fluctuates all the time, nearly every patch. There should be a measured linear growth of inflation taking place.

Seriously, just because someone can sell a 20% freezing pulse for 3 exalted (roughly 15 gcp) does not mean that it is worth 3 exalted. That line is a lot smaller when it comes to actual currency trades, because people try to game the system all day (likely the same people that run said currency guides), trying to buy low and sell high then convert them at the vendor and repeat.
So what would you sell your exalts for?

I play a couple hours each day and would be interested in running maps with any FBG's. Look for me ingame name Ssthla lvl 74 Ranger.

I have 1 Lvl 66 map that dropped. Is it truly best to "rare" the map? What about using the cartographer's widget or whatever?

'Run It Up said:

60 alts for 7 chaos

1 gcp for 4 chaos

1 exalt for 7 gcp

20 chisels for 7-8 chaos

1 fusing for 1 chaos

So what would you sell your exalts for?
I personally wouldn't - exalted are worth more to me personally as trade bait then their face value, but if I were I would try to get a over 5 exalts (simply because having one on hand is worth its weight at least,) preferably in currency I either use, or others use quite frequently (chaos or alchs preferred). I think at the current rate of inflation exalteds shouldn't necessarily go up or down much at all.

I started farming last weekend and went from 8 chaos to over 60 farming the ledge and selling off the orbs. I don't craft so they were not that valuable to me. Problem is any really good gear is a ton of chaos!

I started farming last weekend and went from 8 chaos to over 60 farming the ledge and selling off the orbs. I don't craft so they were not that valuable to me. Problem is any really good gear is a ton of chaos!
How many hours would you estimate you farmed the ledge to fget that many?

Holy crap. What orbs were you selling to get chaos?

I am just about to pick a char and fire this thing up if anybody has any general char creation tips for a n00b so I don't have to read 30 pages.

I mostly used a knockback bow in the original diablo, and I'll probably make a witch or a ranger.

when this game opened up the beta I was reading the thread regularly, so I picked up a few bits, I suppose, but that was a while ago.

evasion is crap?

can you just get that skill (iron reflexes?) to convert it, or is that terribly inefficient.

energy shield for mages any better than armor, evasion?

I'm looking at that skill constellation right now --- those + waypoint spots subtract stat points?

'Kool-Aid Larry said:
I am just about to pick a char and fire this thing up if anybody has any general char creation tips for a n00b so I don't have to read 30 pages.

I mostly used a knockback bow in the original diablo, and I'll probably make a witch or a ranger.

when this game opened up the beta I was reading the thread regularly, so I picked up a few bits, I suppose, but that was a while ago.

evasion is crap?

can you just get that skill (iron reflexes?) to convert it, or is that terribly inefficient.

I'm looking at that skill constellation right now --- those + waypoint spots subtract stat points?
Iron Reflexes is very good as it is easy to build up Evasion stats in the game. The + waypoints in the passive skill tree all add to your stats. Typically +10 to either Dexterity, Strength, or Intelligence.

Try and limit those + connectors as best you can as those +10's do very little for your character build. Plan out your skill tree for 45 or so points ahead of time if you can.

Read this post from start to finish. It explains all the game mechanics and is extremely informative. After reading come back with some questions.

'Mad Cow said:
'SHIZNITTTT said:
I feel like i am playing a different game from others some times. I think I would have to play roughly 200 hours to get the equivalent of 50 Chaos orbs and it looks like he did it in 1/10th that time :(I must have no idea what i am doing when I farm.

'NewlyRetired said:
'SHIZNITTTT said:
How many hours would you estimate you farmed the ledge to fget that many?
About 1 to 2 hours a night. I do it by myself and never run in a party. Not worth the risk of giving up a prime orb, or gem. I have increased rarity gem linked with increased drop rate on my weapon. Someone on here told me that it has to be in the weapon that does the killing. And, since then the drop rate is outrageous. I do the ledge because it is in a straight line, I have done other areas but it is just too difficult for me to keep up with going back and forth and so on.

'Mad Cow said:
'SHIZNITTTT said:
scouring, fusing, alchs, and respec/regret orbs. Those sell the best. You can turn them over pretty fast.

'Kool-Aid Larry said:

evasion is crap?

Iron Reflexes is very good as it is easy to build up Evasion stats in the game. The + waypoints in the passive skill tree all add to your stats. Typically +10 to either Dexterity, Strength, or Intelligence.

Try and limit those + connectors as best you can as those +10's do very little for your character build. Plan out your skill tree for 45 or so points ahead of time if you can.

Read this post from start to finish. It explains all the game mechanics and is extremely informative. After reading come back with some questions.
haha...

OH, also started hitting up the vendors looking for gear that will sell, and 3 colored linked items to turn into chromes. Chromes are also a hot item to sell.

'Kool-Aid Larry said:

evasion is crap?

haha...
whoops sorry bout thathttp://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707/page/1

I have 1 Lvl 66 map that dropped. Is it truly best to "rare" the map? What about using the cartographer's widget or whatever?
chance them up to 70 and then use chisels and alch at that point (from what I read)Also rare is not always better, I chanced a map and got a rare and it had the worst drops out of all of my magic (blue) maps.I use as many alt orbs as it takes to get quantity > 30 if I get a blue map after chance.

I just killed the first guy on the beach after the intro and there was a 'go back to town for your reward' button lit up, but I ignored it, and now it's gone.

how do I get that back?

chance them up to 70 and then use chisels and alch at that point (from what I read)Also rare is not always better, I chanced a map and got a rare and it had the worst drops out of all of my magic (blue) maps.I use as many alt orbs as it takes to get quantity > 30 if I get a blue map after chance.
Yeah, but it can still be a lame map:) I ran one with Jojo, wish we could get more FBGs involved.

What do chance and chisels do to maps specifically?

'Kool-Aid Larry said:

evasion is crap?

Evasion by itself is very poor, it has a binary nature where you take full damage when you don't evade, but evasion is affected by a percentage based entropy. Everytime you evade the counter resets. So if you have 34% evasion and the first attack hits you, you now have a 68% chance to evade the next hit and if that hits you now have a 102% chance to evade so the 3rd hit will always miss and when it does the counter will reset to 34% and the cycle begins again.Armor on the other hand mitigates physical damage. The problem with armor however is that the damage mitigation has diminishing returns on large amounts of damage received, essentially crushing your armor. So you can mitigate like 90% of a ton of white mobs attacks, but if a rare mob with extra damage comes along you might only mitigate 10% of the damage.

Evasion in that sense has an advantage over armor, 34% of the time evasion will take 0 damage from that big bad mob, but will likely get eaten alive by the hundreds of tiny white mobs. The armor user will smash through the tiny ones with ease and when the big baddy comes along they can just use whatever handful of tactics they choose to distract/curse/weaken them.

Energy shield for the most part is synonymous with life, and its not just for casters. The problem with energy shield, or rather its limiting factor is that you sacrifice damage reduction for a large life pool. Energy shield can be very powerful giving you build specifically for it, it should also be mentioned energy shield users are much harder to gear for.

As far as the last part I assume you are referring to the +10 stat passive nodes? They are either red, blue or green and have and asterisk type symbol on them? They are simply stat nodes that give you flat stat boosts.

orbs of chance act just like when applied to a white item, results in a magic map most of the time, a rare map sometimes, and a unique very rarely. If you get a magic map just use alt orbs until item quantity on map > 30.Once you start getting 70 level maps and beyond do not use chances, use alch's to guarantee a rare map. I have used chisels yet, but I assume they improve the quality of the map just like armor and weapons, not so sure what this means though.

Chisels on white maps increase quality by 5%, on blue maps they increase quality by 2% and on rare/unique maps they increase quality by 1%.Quality on a map does nothing but increase item quantity by 1% per 1% quality.20% quality on a map will give an additional 20% quantity.

I pretty much need to pay 20 bux for the inventory to play this, don't I?
I'd recommend it. These guys made the game for free for your enjoyment, I don't see it as necessarily a bad thing.If you are really against spending any money on the game you can create 10 mules and then just log out and shuffle stuff around as needed, it would be like having a few extra tabs (not exactly 10 since a tab holds more than the inventory of 1 character.I am finding even after buying the tabs that I keep too much stuff around. It is so difficult to sell or trade stuff in this game you are really better off keeping 1 tab for currency, 1 tab for gems, 1 tab for starter gear and uniques and the last tab for temporary stash until you can figure out if you should just vendor it or try to sell it through trade channels.

I'm just worried about picking up junk off the beach without hitting town every 5 kills.
I fully intend to buy extra tabs (just to support the game) but I am well into Act 2 in cruel and have played around 75 hours or so and have not needed the extra tabs yet. You will soon see that the vast vast majority of whites and blues are not worth picking up. You probably won't need to spend $20 if you don't want. Spending $10 will get you 3 more tabs for your stash.

oh yeah....are we talking about stash tabs or inventory tabs?I was thinking they were inventory tabs.
There are no inventory tabs. What you see in the beginning is the most room you can ever have in your pack. It does not change. The stash is what you can extend via purchases.

I'm just worried about picking up junk off the beach without hitting town every 5 kills.
I fully intend to buy extra tabs (just to support the game) but I am well into Act 2 in cruel and have played around 75 hours or so and have not needed the extra tabs yet. You will soon see that the vast vast majority of whites and blues are not worth picking up. You probably won't need to spend $20 if you don't want. Spending $10 will get you 3 more tabs for your stash.
I only save rares and gems at this point, and I've spent $40 on upgraded stash tabs. One light bulb moment I had was this: I have a least 2 stash tabs worth of gems, I just started putting them in the sockets of armor I had, voila.

Users who are viewing this thread