What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Path of Exile (free to play & now on Xbone) (4 Viewers)

I toyed around in Diablo 3 with my Barbarian and it really hit home how much more fun it is to kill things in D3 over PoE. PoE has by far the better skill and currency system, but when you kill something they just kind of fall over. In D3, you've got bodies flying all over the place and combat has a better feel to it.

I toyed around in Diablo 3 with my Barbarian and it really hit home how much more fun it is to kill things in D3 over PoE. PoE has by far the better skill and currency system, but when you kill something they just kind of fall over. In D3, you've got bodies flying all over the place and combat has a better feel to it.
I know some of the problems with D3 but I am still looking forward to trying it on a console when it is released.

I am starting to plan out a new character.

I am thinking of trying a witch, pure summoner, chaos innoc.

Skills will be Raise Zombie, Raise Spectre and Summon Skeleton, plus auras and curse (what ever mana can support)

Two basic questions

1). I have seen it recommended to use a spell totem support to Summon Skeleton but I don't fully understand why

2). I can figure whether or not to use Necro Ageis. Any thoughts or recommendations?

ima put discharge on my zombies

I assume skelly totem is to just automate the process, so you can do other things and have a constant influx of skel, but my problem with totem, and bear inmind I've never tried it, is you have to give up a socket for it.

I prefer sticking with the +minion headgear for the extra hp, and it's already tough enough to cram everything in there.

I used aegis on my first char mainly because I found a cool shield superearly that was, like, 21 reflect + regen at a level where 8 reflect was good, so I figured it'd be great for aegis.

when we got the full respec my guy was in his 40s and I respec'd out into instability.

I'm just not seeing shields at my level that seem like they'd be worth it, and a few of my guys lean on that +24% res shield in cruel.

Skills will be Raise Zombie, Raise Spectre and Summon Skeleton, plus auras and curse (what ever mana can support)

Two basic questions

1). I have seen it recommended to use a spell totem support to Summon Skeleton but I don't fully understand why

2). I can figure whether or not to use Necro Ageis. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Ok the below makes sense to me for me first question. Certainly would free me up to keep raising zombies while the totem takes care of raising the skeletons.

"Spell Totem will continue to cast Summon Skeletons even if the maximum number of skeletons has been reached. Older skeletons will then be replaced by newer skeletons, possibly moving them to another target."

Last edited by a moderator:

Two basic questions

Ok the below makes sense to me for me first question. Certainly would free me up to keep raising zombies while the totem takes care of raising the skeletons.

"Spell Totem will continue to cast Summon Skeletons even if the maximum number of skeletons has been reached. Older skeletons will then be replaced by newer skeletons, possibly moving them to another target."
If you are going full summoner I'm not sure Skele totem is necessary, but it won't hurt you.

Necromantic Aegis is pretty unnecessary, but if you get a shield with a lot of resists it goes a long way on your summons as summons have I think 0 resists. The biggest problem with going for Necromantic Aegis is that a lot of your ES comes from your shield, so if you are going CI you will have much lower effective life.

Two basic questions

If you are going full summoner I'm not sure Skele totem is necessary, but it won't hurt you.

Necromantic Aegis is pretty unnecessary, but if you get a shield with a lot of resists it goes a long way on your summons as summons have I think 0 resists. The biggest problem with going for Necromantic Aegis is that a lot of your ES comes from your shield, so if you are going CI you will have much lower effective life.
Ok that has been my thoughts on Necro Aegis as well.

I have read multiple people say Skele Totem is not really needed. Why is that? Is it due to the skels being pretty useless?

Ok that has been my thoughts on Necro Aegis as well.I have read multiple people say Skele Totem is not really needed. Why is that? Is it due to the skels being pretty useless?
Skeles are largely a distraction totem, can be much better or worse than decoy totem in a lot of instances. But it loses almost all of its thunder when you have a bunch of minions, the nature of the skele totem makes it less effective for protecting your minions as it recasts skeletons so it actually just interferes with your minions ability to hit the target while not protecting them from the enemy. And as Kool-aid Larry said, you can just manually cast them.

Basically skeletons won't even be utilized outside of boss fights.

Run It Up said:
Ok that has been my thoughts on Necro Aegis as well.

I have read multiple people say Skele Totem is not really needed. Why is that? Is it due to the skels being pretty useless?
Skeles are largely a distraction totem, can be much better or worse than decoy totem in a lot of instances. But it loses almost all of its thunder when you have a bunch of minions, the nature of the skele totem makes it less effective for protecting your minions as it recasts skeletons so it actually just interferes with your minions ability to hit the target while not protecting them from the enemy. And as Kool-aid Larry said, you can just manually cast them.

Basically skeletons won't even be utilized outside of boss fights.
Ok so for bosses it is at least worth it to level the skel and support gems then even if i don't use them outside of that. Thanks!

Any recommendations for a type of non unique - one handed weapon that should be used with a pure summoner? I am looking at all the mods for the various weapons and nothing really jumps out at me.

Outside of the normal one handed weapons, in there any must have unique weapon for Summoners like Searing Touch is for a Fire Witch?

Any recommendations for a type of non unique - one handed weapon that should be used with a pure summoner? I am looking at all the mods for the various weapons and nothing really jumps out at me.

Outside of the normal one handed weapons, in there any must have unique weapon for Summoners like Searing Touch is for a Fire Witch?
Depends on what you plan on doing, there are a bunch of spells you can use to support your minions, with those you will want to use either Wands or Kris'. If you intend to not use any spells to support your minions, then I recommend getting a unique that does support them.

Chober Chaber, a unique 2H mace gives +1 melee and +1 minion gems and up to 40% increased minion life, it can also be 6 socketed since its 2H.

Queens Decree, a unique 2H sword gives +1 max zombies and +1 max spectres as well as +2 max skeletons, gives 15% minion life and damage as well as 200% skeleton duration.

Midnight Bargain, a unique wand gives +1 max zombies and spectres as well as +2 max skeletons, also gives 20% minion speed and 30% minion damage but it reserves 30% of your life (not allowed to use with CI).

Matua Tapuna, a unique shield gives +2 to minion gems, 10% increased effectiveness of auras on yourself AND your minions and when crit you will spread tar on the ground like the zombies from coves. (if you use Necromatic Aegis, when your minions are crit they will spread the tar).

Of all of these, Midnight Bargain is the only actually expensive one. The reason to invest in uniques for summoner builds is because the +1 to spectres is absolutely huge, you start with a maximum of only one, and you can only get a maximum of two without uniques (there is a +1 max spectres passive node at the top of the witch tree). But with uniques you can get 4 with one weapon and the Bones of Ullr boots, or 5 if you use two midnight bargains and Bones of Ullr (not advisable).

In hilarious related news, GGG announced that 0.11.1 will include microtransaction zombie reskins, and I have to say they look hilarious!

Mummies. That running animation, omg.

Depends on what you plan on doing, there are a bunch of spells you can use to support your minions, with those you will want to use either Wands or Kris'. If you intend to not use any spells to support your minions, then I recommend getting a unique that does support them.

Chober Chaber, a unique 2H mace gives +1 melee and +1 minion gems and up to 40% increased minion life, it can also be 6 socketed since its 2H.

Queens Decree, a unique 2H sword gives +1 max zombies and +1 max spectres as well as +2 max skeletons, gives 15% minion life and damage as well as 200% skeleton duration.

Midnight Bargain, a unique wand gives +1 max zombies and spectres as well as +2 max skeletons, also gives 20% minion speed and 30% minion damage but it reserves 30% of your life (not allowed to use with CI).

Matua Tapuna, a unique shield gives +2 to minion gems, 10% increased effectiveness of auras on yourself AND your minions and when crit you will spread tar on the ground like the zombies from coves. (if you use Necromatic Aegis, when your minions are crit they will spread the tar).

Of all of these, Midnight Bargain is the only actually expensive one. The reason to invest in uniques for summoner builds is because the +1 to spectres is absolutely huge, you start with a maximum of only one, and you can only get a maximum of two without uniques (there is a +1 max spectres passive node at the top of the witch tree). But with uniques you can get 4 with one weapon and the Bones of Ullr boots, or 5 if you use two midnight bargains and Bones of Ullr (not advisable).
thank you! This is great info.

So making way up to level 85. It is costly spending currency on maps. The experience just stands still. I don't know how anyone ever got to 100. Good news the higher level maps and players seem to work better as a team no ninja-ing items since most know they are not going to find better gear. Still haven't found an exalt yet, and have only seen 1 drop. If anyone needs anything hit me up IGN Cremell I have a #### load of uniques.

next patch lolz

We expect to deploy 0.11.1 to Alpha today (it's still coming to Beta around the middle of next week). I was pleased to see a bug fix for Heavy Strike (it shouldn't be able to knock monsters into walls) and that Shield Charge (including Rhoa charges) can now be evaded.

next patch lolz

We expect to deploy 0.11.1 to Alpha today (it's still coming to Beta around the middle of next week). I was pleased to see a bug fix for Heavy Strike (it shouldn't be able to knock monsters into walls) and that Shield Charge (including Rhoa charges) can now be evaded.
Little bummed the Ranger tree rebalance was pushed back, starting area is absolutely horrible.

Edit: They actually commented on it on reddit I just noticed.

(we) Were intending to have changes to it in 0.11.1, but it turned out to be a busy enough time with the stats refactor.

0.11.2 should include changes to the Ranger tree.

Hey FBGs,

Been trying to get into trading. Any advice would be appreciated. Every time I am in the forums and try to post a reply, I am logged out. This also stops me from contacting support. Please advise.

Thanks!

Hey FBGs,

Been trying to get into trading. Any advice would be appreciated. Every time I am in the forums and try to post a reply, I am logged out. This also stops me from contacting support. Please advise.

Thanks!
I have no advice as the trading is the worst part of the game for me. If it was not for fellow FBG's, I don't think I have made a single trade. No one ever responds to me in the in game chat and any posts I make to the forum are ignored.

There is no improvement I would love more than to see true web based selling that ties into everyone accounts. Someone should be able to list an item with a price and then you can buy it and the exchange happens immediately with the item(s) being moved to your stash and the currency being moved to the sellers stash with no need for in game interaction.

No it's happened in contact support too.

Anyone here looking to trade items or currency?
Its probably your browser settings it sounds like its not storing the cookies for when you login. My advice if you don't know how or where to look is to just install a different browser.

yeah the whole thing just crashed for everyone, I assume.

they need to work that stuff out -- I just play default cruel, but there are probably guys losing hc char and maps to this stuff

if I had worked my way through mosts of the pyramid to get dumped, I'd be pretty annoyed

Kool-Aid Larry said:
yeah the whole thing just crashed for everyone, I assume.

they need to work that stuff out -- I just play default cruel, but there are probably guys losing hc char and maps to this stuff

if I had worked my way through mosts of the pyramid to get dumped, I'd be pretty annoyed
They did a 5 minute rollback, no one was lost, although some loot was.

Its the first server crash in a long time.

So my Explosive Arrow duelist is just cake walking through merciless. Hit 68, decided to blow some currency and bought a Carcass Jack with almost perfect rolls for what I consider pretty cheap.

Anyway, hilarious unintended side effect of using Quillrain with Carcass Jack. Quillrain gives me 5 attacks per second, I use split arrow with life gain on hit and chain to refill my life, it does practically no damage, but it heals me to full in one shot - well Carcass Jack gives extra gore, when you're shooting 6 arrows at 5 attacks per second and those arrows chain twice the result makes me grin.

Blood and bones flying everywhere.

So my Explosive Arrow duelist is just cake walking through merciless. Hit 68, decided to blow some currency and bought a Carcass Jack with almost perfect rolls for what I consider pretty cheap.

Anyway, hilarious unintended side effect of using Quillrain with Carcass Jack. Quillrain gives me 5 attacks per second, I use split arrow with life gain on hit and chain to refill my life, it does practically no damage, but it heals me to full in one shot - well Carcass Jack gives extra gore, when you're shooting 6 arrows at 5 attacks per second and those arrows chain twice the result makes me grin.Blood and bones flying everywhere.
At first glance Quill Rain appears to have a very small DPS. How are you able to kill boss levels with it in merciless?

Anyway, hilarious unintended side effect of using Quillrain with Carcass Jack. Quillrain gives me 5 attacks per second, I use split arrow with life gain on hit and chain to refill my life, it does practically no damage, but it heals me to full in one shot - well Carcass Jack gives extra gore, when you're shooting 6 arrows at 5 attacks per second and those arrows chain twice the result makes me grin.Blood and bones flying everywhere.
At first glance Quill Rain appears to have a very small DPS. How are you able to kill boss levels with it in merciless?
he uses an assload of explosive arrows, which do set fire dam

which supports do you use on explosive arrow?

8% Explosive Arrow (8% chance to ignite)

11% Elemental Proliferation (8% ignite duration)

7% Increased Burning Damage (3% chance to ignite)

0% Chance to Ignite

Looking to buy a quality chance to ignite and quality increase AoE in Anarchy. When I eventually 5L or 6L my Quillrain or Carcass Jack ill add Increase Area of Effect, or Concentrated effect.

Never calculated the damage for this yet, so I had to do it:

Level 16 explosive arrow does 500 damage per charge, 2500 for 5 charges. 68% increased damage to the explosion from passives and items, with no % fire damage on gear yet - making each charge deal 840 damage, for 4200 damage for 5 charges (before resistances).

Very hard to calculate how much damage I do, because I'm using flammability and elemental equilibrium. Lvl 16 Flammability gives -44% fire resistance, 13% chance to ignite and my 5% quality gives it 5% increased ignite duration, Equilibrium gives -50% fire resistance, so on mobs that have 0% fire resist will get lowered to -94% fire resist which makes me do 194% damage. Gets even harder as ignite does 4/3 the damage of the explosion over 3 seconds, but I have 115% increased burning damage and 43% increased burn duration.

Ignoring resistances and increased burning duration and damage, 5 charges explode causing 4200 damage, igniting the bad guy which would deal 5600 damage over 3 seconds (1867 damage a second) for a total of 9800 damage.

Increased burning damage turns that 5600 damage into 12040 damage (4013 damage a second).

Increased burning duration turns the 3 seconds into 4.29 seconds - which makes the burn do 17216 damage.

Which comes out to 4200 + 17216 = 21416 damage, ignoring resistances.
Level 20 Explosive Arrow does 60% more damage, I have no % fire damage on my jewelry, nowhere to go but up.

I just picked up a Storm Cloud Long Bow (1.75 attacks per second, no physical damage, 1-75 lightening damage).

Would this be a decent early game weapon for a lightening arrow based attack for a ranger or is it meant for something else?

8% Explosive Arrow (8% chance to ignite)

11% Elemental Proliferation (8% ignite duration)

7% Increased Burning Damage (3% chance to ignite)

0% Chance to Ignite

Looking to buy a quality chance to ignite and quality increase AoE in Anarchy. When I eventually 5L or 6L my Quillrain or Carcass Jack ill add Increase Area of Effect, or Concentrated effect.

Never calculated the damage for this yet, so I had to do it:

Level 16 explosive arrow does 500 damage per charge, 2500 for 5 charges. 68% increased damage to the explosion from passives and items, with no % fire damage on gear yet - making each charge deal 840 damage, for 4200 damage for 5 charges (before resistances).

Very hard to calculate how much damage I do, because I'm using flammability and elemental equilibrium. Lvl 16 Flammability gives -44% fire resistance, 13% chance to ignite and my 5% quality gives it 5% increased ignite duration, Equilibrium gives -50% fire resistance, so on mobs that have 0% fire resist will get lowered to -94% fire resist which makes me do 194% damage. Gets even harder as ignite does 4/3 the damage of the explosion over 3 seconds, but I have 115% increased burning damage and 43% increased burn duration.

Ignoring resistances and increased burning duration and damage, 5 charges explode causing 4200 damage, igniting the bad guy which would deal 5600 damage over 3 seconds (1867 damage a second) for a total of 9800 damage.

Increased burning damage turns that 5600 damage into 12040 damage (4013 damage a second).

Increased burning duration turns the 3 seconds into 4.29 seconds - which makes the burn do 17216 damage.

Which comes out to 4200 + 17216 = 21416 damage, ignoring resistances.
Level 20 Explosive Arrow does 60% more damage, I have no % fire damage on my jewelry, nowhere to go but up.
Can you link your build? Was thinking of a rain of arrows build using that bow or an explosive but not sure where to take it.

So last night I go watch a fireworks show in my town and eat something that doesn't agree with me. At 3 am I have to run to the bathroom and I am now wide awake. I jump online to play POE, and join a map group. It is really late the party is really lagging and I am about to log off and try to get some sleep. We have a level 73 map drop and the owner wants to run just 1 more. So I am like #### ok 1 more. We get to the boss and BAM!!! one unique drops and BAM!!! another unique drops so I am like whooppddeedoo probably another crap hammer or something....NOPE it is a ####### KOAM'S and TARYN's SHIVER, and they are both mine. End of story. http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/440288/page/1/#p3926028

Can you link your build? Was thinking of a rain of arrows build using that bow or an explosive but not sure where to take it.
Build

Summary:

Elemental Equilibrium

Blood Magic

Resolute Technique

Iron Reflexes

Unwavering Stance

+322 to Strength

+152 to Dexterity

+104 to Intelligence

202% increased maximum Life

+24% to all Elemental Resistances

4.4% of Life Regenerated per Second

You take 30% reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes

43% increased Attack Speed

36% increased Projectile Damage

60% increased Burning Damage

12% increased Fire Damage

30% increased Ignite Duration on enemies

12% increased Radius of Area Skills

8% increased Area Damage

The 60% burn damage nodes and the 30% burn duration node are huge damage increases for explosive arrow and I would go as far to say they are necessary.
With the Ranger tree being rebalanced in 0.11.2 I will likely be finding someway to shuffle some points into the ranger tree, but who knows I'm not really having any trouble with anything, quick Lunaris 3 runs, can kill piety in under a minute.

I just picked up a Storm Cloud Long Bow (1.75 attacks per second, no physical damage, 1-75 lightening damage).

Would this be a decent early game weapon for a lightening arrow based attack for a ranger or is it meant for something else?
Lightning arrows damage is physical converted to lightning so your lightning arrow would essentially be doing 70% of your 1-75 lightning damage with no additional damage so you would be doing on average 26 damage, which is pretty good considering - but you will likely find a replacement by the time you get to act 2.

As far as the other unique leveling bows, I would say a +2 Silverbranch crushes all of them and then Storm Cloud and a distant third is Quillrain which doesn't really get good until like level 25 and only with certain skills.

Lightning arrows damage is physical converted to lightning so your lightning arrow would essentially be doing 70% of your 1-75 lightning damage with no additional damage so you would be doing on average 26 damage, which is pretty good considering - but you will likely find a replacement by the time you get to act 2.

As far as the other unique leveling bows, I would say a +2 Silverbranch crushes all of them and then Storm Cloud and a distant third is Quillrain which doesn't really get good until like level 25 and only with certain skills.
For a +2 Silverbranch, you have to trade for an old one right? I think any new Silverbranches are only +1

For a +2 Silverbranch, you have to trade for an old one right? I think any new Silverbranches are only +1
wut

wut
From the wiki: Sounds like the pre 10.5 Silverbranches are better than the post 10.5 Silverbranches if I understand the comment in the wikia below.

Version

The Silverbranch unique item has been changed so that it only grants +1 to bow skills. Old ones will not change unless you use a Divine Orb on them.

those old ones must be like collector's items now
They kind of are, but they are still very cheap as they existed for like 4 months before they were nerfed, so there are 4 months of a common unique around still. That said, I think a +1 Silverbranch is still better for leveling than the other unique bows.

+1 Silverbranch and poison arrow, you basically just walk through all of normal difficulty.

Users who are viewing this thread