What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2013 Thread (1 Viewer)

I can only hope this is a result of just too much emotion. An obviously a LOT of rust for RG3. And that's not to take anything away from Philly. They are playing fantastic. But the Skins are better than this. Just ugly, ugly football. What a letdown for us fans. :(

Other than offensive rust (hopefully that's what it is), safety play has been the biggest problem. Rambo in his first game and Biggers playing out of position has been brutal.

Well I think nerves/emotion were a part of the problem out of the gate. Still flaws and things to work on, but a much better 2nd half obviously. Reed did see more work than Davis. That is a little concerning from a FF point of view. Not a bad thing for the team though.

Kerrigan went in for a concussion test. That's going to suck if he misses time. To state the obvious, Green Bay will be tough next week.

What were RG3s second half stats? Looks like he really did need those pre season snaps. Hope they can get in better sync by next week.

jordan reed seems to be a bigger part of the offense than davis
I said this a couple months ago, but since RG3 and Reed were both working back from injuries, they were able to play pitch and catch, if you will, on the sidelines of practices for a long time and built a nice rapport. Conversely, RG3 hasn't played with Fred much at all due to each of their injuries, and when they did play together at the beginning of last year he didn't target Fred much at all. So it is probably a case of a rusty, uncomfortable RG3 doing one of the few things he was comfortable with.

Last edited by a moderator:
PinkydaPimp said:
What were RG3s second half stats? Looks like he really did need those pre season snaps. Hope they can get in better sync by next week.
1st and 2nd half stat splits:

FIRST HALFATT COMP YDS TD INT RTG SCK RuATT RuYDS11 5 53 0 1 22.2 1 2 2SECOND HALFATT COMP YDS TD INT RTG SCK RuATT RuYDS38 25 276 2 1 93.8 2 3 22It really was a tale of two halves, although a lot of that was certainly due to Philly getting conservative on both sides of the ball as the game progressed. I'm along with everyone else in hoping this is just a rust/out of sync issue. With no preseason action and just a ridiculously inept 1st quarter, it didn't look like Griffin was comfortable throwing the ball until the 4th quarter. The 'Skins snapped the ball on offense just 10 times in the 1st quarter with 3 of those ending in turnovers and one being negated by a penalty.

So parts of this game went exactly as I had expected. I expected the Eagles to come out and look amazing on offense, and put up 20 or so 1st half points. I cringed when I saw we were Philly's opener. I never like playing the 1st game against a team with a major change. I mean, look at the Skins vs. Saints last year (admittedly the Saints sucked), but they had never seen RGIII or the Pistol offense and it showed. I expected Philly to jump up early, and I expected Haslett would adjust in the 2nd half and it would get better for Washington.

What I didn't expect is the plain vanilla play calling and the magnitude of the "out-of-syncedness." I figured our offense would put up 14 points and we'd be in the game, but not leading, at the half. I'm giving very very little credit to the Skins O for the 2nd half numbers. That was prevent defense. RGIII had the 5-10 yard routes WIDE OPEN. That wasn't RGIII rounding into form in the 2nd half. He was still missing guys, and he still looked like he was throwing off happy feet.

I'm not concerned with Philly's offense. Our defense looked, in my opinion, very good given the circumstances and the offense they faced. We're going to be a solid defense this year if guys stay healthy. I'm worried most about RGIII's tentativeness. He looks like a guy playing afraid.

So parts of this game went exactly as I had expected. I expected the Eagles to come out and look amazing on offense, and put up 20 or so 1st half points. I cringed when I saw we were Philly's opener. I never like playing the 1st game against a team with a major change. I mean, look at the Skins vs. Saints last year (admittedly the Saints sucked), but they had never seen RGIII or the Pistol offense and it showed. I expected Philly to jump up early, and I expected Haslett would adjust in the 2nd half and it would get better for Washington.

What I didn't expect is the plain vanilla play calling and the magnitude of the "out-of-syncedness." I figured our offense would put up 14 points and we'd be in the game, but not leading, at the half. I'm giving very very little credit to the Skins O for the 2nd half numbers. That was prevent defense. RGIII had the 5-10 yard routes WIDE OPEN. That wasn't RGIII rounding into form in the 2nd half. He was still missing guys, and he still looked like he was throwing off happy feet.

I'm not concerned with Philly's offense. Our defense looked, in my opinion, very good given the circumstances and the offense they faced. We're going to be a solid defense this year if guys stay healthy. I'm worried most about RGIII's tentativeness. He looks like a guy playing afraid.
i think that is just a result of not getting live playing time in the pre season. in fact based on the sloppyness this week many QBs saw these even with pre season snaps. If it continues to week 4, then i would be concerned. However, i think he will get progressively better now that he has a game and some hits under his belt.

:thumbup:

Per the Wash Post:

Redskins linebacker Ryan Kerrigan has passed all of his concussion tests and is expected to practice Wednesday when he and his teammates begin preparation for Sunday’s game at Green Bay, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

I'm not sure how much the Eagles "backed off" last night. Clearly the last drive was prevent defense (other than the moron safety who let Hankerson get that last TD), but they were still blitzing some up until then. The big thing, IMO, was Griffin's mechanics seemed to improve as the game progressed. I'm no QB guru, but even I could tell how horrible his mechanics were early in the game. He still had a couple throws late where he failed to throw properly and those tended to be when he was facing some pressure and didn't step into the throw.

I think I've said it already, but the D's main problem was the safeties. It looked like missed assignments and tackles galore from Rambo and Biggers. Other than that, I actually think they played ok and, at times, quite well. They just needed more help from the offense.

Well, since he's already on the roster, I'd say the convincing needs to be made for removing him from the roster.

So, Skins fans -- what does the team have to do to pull out a win this weekend vs. the Packers and move up to 1-1. I admit that this seems like a very tall order:

1. Green Bay has won 20 of their last 21 at home in regular season I believe. That is scary good.\.

2. Redskins secondary is young and inexperienced and is going against arguably the best QB in the league (top 3 for sure).

3. Griffin showed significant rust in the first game and while he played better in the second half, we still don't know if he'll have last year's form yet.

All of these factors make the Packers the overwhelming favorites Sunday afternoon. But as we know, every week, one sees crazy stuff happening in the NFL and some amazing upsets. What has to happen for us to pull the upset. My view:

1. Game Plan -- you are not going to shut down Rodgers the entire game. Therefore, the Redskins need to try to establish themselves as the strong running team they were last year. Not only will this move the ball, but this will eat clock and limit the times that Rogers gets the ball. If Rogers has fewer opportunities, this increases the chance that a chance turnover by Greenbay can be a game changer...

2. RGIII -- hopefully he's not still hurt and this game he'll be able to move around a bit more. While he needs to do the whole "run out of bounds" and "slide" thing, he also needs to bring back some of that RGIII mobility that made us a powerful offense last year. I think protecting yourself doesn't mean you just become a straight drop back QB ala Peyton Manning. There needs to be an in between and he needs to find it, fast. If he's too hurt to do that, well then, it's going to limit how high this team can climb unfortunately.

3. Defense -- there is no doubt that Green Bay on paper is better than Washington, AND they are at home. Which tells me, the great equalizer is in things like turnovers, special teams, all that kind of stuff. I think if the defense sits back and plays conservative, Rodgers will eat up our inexperienced secondary...badly. Therefore, I would rather take some chances and go down swinging. Haslett needs to dial up the pressure from the beginning of the game and hope that the youngsters can go into ball hawk mode. During the second half vs. Philly, Haslett started bringing pressure the defense really looked a lot better. So while this is risky, I think it's more risky to just sit back and wait for Rogers to slice you up.

What do you guys have? Agreements and disagreements welcome! I am just hearing from everyone that the Skins don't stand a chance but let me know how we could win, even if there is only a small probability of it happening...

If we win this game it will be because we got consistent pressure on Rodgers. Orakpo and Kerrigan are going to have to win this game for us. I don't trust the secondary to cover Cobb, Nelson, Jones and Finley for long. So we need to force Rodgers to make quick decisions and make those decisions under pressure. GB's OL is not very good, so we'll have a chance. I dunno if we can win it, but I think we can make it interesting at least.

I think most Skins fans expect a loss, but would be thrilled with a win. As young as our secondary is, just seems like a tall order to keep all those weapons in the passing game in check. It also means RG3 must be rust free.

God Bless you guys and your optimism...there's ALWAYS a chance, so I'll give us that, but I'm firmly entrenched in the camp that, although we'll never know, thinks that if Cousins doesn't get hurt in the preseason, he's starting the 1st 4 games through the bye, and we don't see a snap of Griff until 10/20 vs the Bears, when he comes back fully recovered. IMO, he's still not fully recovered, and now that he has to finish recovery while putting live-bullet strain which is only going to drag out the process and increases the chance of re-injury. So, we're playing with a 75% Griff right now, and I'd rather NO Griff than anything less than 100% Griff, because the record isn't going to be much different whether he's in there or not if he's in there at less than 100%. When he's not optimal, the entire rushing offense suffers, so that component is less than 100%, as well. Add in the deficiencies in the defensive secondary, and our prospects of coming out of ANY game on the winning side right now are marginal, at best, IMO...

...so, long and short, I'll give us a raindrop's chance on the sun of coming out ahead in Green Bay on Sunday, if the team we trot out on the field is anything similar to the one that played on MNF. Our best chance will come if we sell out completely on the blitz to stop the pass, and I'm talking rushing 7 guys every down, without falling asleep on the inevitable draw plays, and hope we can whack Rodgers around hard enough and early enough to force the Packers to max protect Rodgers, putting Kuhn on the field at the expense of a 3rd WR and forcing Lacy, Kuhn and Finley to stay in and block, setting up 3 on 4 or 2 on 4 matchups between our secondary and Nelson/Cobb/Jones. People who are selling Jones based on last week's performance are misguided, IMO. He's good enough to play #2 WR on over half the Teams in the NFL right now, I think. 49'ers just schemed him out of the game last week. We do get lucky that Finley appears to be nicked up. Since Jones' game is mostly based around the deep ball, we'll have to single cover him and hope that selling out the blitz prevents Rogers from having time to read and reach him, and basically pick our poison every down who to double between Nelson and Cobb, and pray like heck that whoever is in single can stick to their guy long enough for Orakpo and Kerrigan to whack Rodgers, or at least make him miserable. Not uncomfortable, that won't be enough. He has to be miserable. Like me at our prospects of winning. On offense, I think we'd be much better off, while Griff is not 100%, actually just trotting him out there as a drop-back passer, which he's perfectly fine at doing, and just running the ground game conventionally through Morris and Helu. The issue comes with him being a part of the rushing offense while not 100%, making the whole thing worse. Morph into a more conventional scheme until he's fully healed, and I think we have a better chance at success. Letting him drop back and bomb deep would serve to soften up the Packers front 7, and allow our ground game to pick up some chunks, especially the screen game to Helu, which is something I really like against the Packer defense. But what do I know. I just hope Griff makes it through Sunday and the Lions game, so that he and Cousins can both spend the bye week with Mr. Miyagi, and get right for @ Dallas on 10/13.

I'm not playing fanduel at Dodds level by any means, but I have a nice chunk on account over there, and I'm playing about 10% of it this week. Every single Team I've set up has either Nelson or Cobb on it. One of those two guys is going to have a MONSTER day Sunday.

Wouldn't it be cool if they force a punt on defense and maybe get a first down or two on offense in the first quarter?

This defense may be historically bad. 335 yds for Rodgers IN THE FIRST HALF? Did I read that right? If so, is that an NFL record? Never so happy to not be in the viewing area as I was today.

The idea that some people are talking about Kirk Cousins as the starting QB is completely stupid and completely expected. Cousins is not going to put up 40 points a game because that is the only way they would have won these games with that joke of a defense.

Just wait until next week when they beat the Lions and these same people will be talking Super Bowl.

The idea that some people are talking about Kirk Cousins as the starting QB is completely stupid and completely expected. Cousins is not going to put up 40 points a game because that is the only way they would have won these games with that joke of a defense.

Just wait until next week when they beat the Lions and these same people will be talking Super Bowl.
Redskins scored 38 points with Cousins.

Non-Skins fans in the DC area have this similar obsession with the irrational Redskins fans.

Not necessarily knocking it, just an observation. Not sure how I'd react to local fans if I were to live in another city.

12 first half drives in '13: 8 punts, 2 INTs, one fumble, one safety and end of the half. Zero points.

And the idea that Brandon Merriweather is what this defense needs shows how totally lost they are.

Can't wait to hear Haslett tell people they're stupid as his press conference. 600 yards of offense for the Packers.

RGIII vs. Cousins -- I hear the debate that the Redskins would have a better chance to win right now with a 100% Cousins vs. a compromised RGIII. That may actually be true -- FOR TODAY. RGIII's advantage was his mobility and without that, I'm not sure you can really make the argument that he's better option than Cousins RIGHT NOW, given the fact that his mechanics are not where they need to be. But long term, for the team, RGIII needs to be in there playing, figuring it out, and getting stronger. Either RGIII is not 100% now or he's mentally not back yet, because as many have pointed out, his mechanics have not returned. So instead of just calling anyone out on either side as an idiot, let me just say that I think this is a classic "win now" vs. "win long term" scenario. I think if you want to win right now, Cousins may be able to make some of those throws that RGIII is missing due to poor mechanics. On the other hand, a 100% RGIII is potentially a Super Bowl winning QB, and so that's what you are banking on. As odd as it may sound 2 games in, we Redskins fans may need to look at playoffs as a long shot bonus this year and instead refocus our expectations on achieving 2 main goals:

1. By season's end, have RGIII return to "normal" so that they can either make a late season run to the playoffs (keep in mind the division winner in NFC East could be 9-7 or 10-6) AND

2. By season's end, see if your young secondary talent can mature enough to be starting caliber NFL players. For that matter, the entire defense needs to go back to school and learn how to tackle.

In the words of Jim Mora, "playoffs? you're talking about playoffs? we're just trying to win a dang game!"

Brandon Merriweather -- please release him already. I know that he's better than the other crap we have but not only can he not stay healthy, he seemingly does everything in his own power to re-injure himself. Last year, he collided with a player on warmups to do it. This year, he gives himself a concussion with the second of 2 dirty helmet to helmet hits. He is not a quality guy. Cut bait and start anew next year.

It's frustrating as a Redskins fan and I really see why people want to play Cousins, because RGIII is not healthy and I think that's contributing to the problems of the team (not the entire problem, but face it, it's a HUGE part of it...without his mobility, everything that was special about last year's offense is gone. Then when they can't sustain drives, that only compounds the defensive problems). On the other hand, maybe they need to regard this year as the year where RGIII re-learns how to play. If you can make playoffs great, but you also need to have other, more benchmark goals, along the way...

A couple bad throws yesterday, but I didn't think Griffin was that bad. :shrug:

To me, it is the playcalling and overall offensive approach that is hurting them right now. I'm a big Kyle fan, but he hasn't allowed Griffin to move much so far. It seems like most of it has been straight back in the pocket.

A couple bad throws yesterday, but I didn't think Griffin was that bad. :shrug:

To me, it is the playcalling and overall offensive approach that is hurting them right now. I'm a big Kyle fan, but he hasn't allowed Griffin to move much so far. It seems like most of it has been straight back in the pocket.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying that without moving him around a little bit, the offense is not special. Where we disagree is that I don't really find it to be that credible that this is 100% playcalling. RGIII's health, his knee, is part of this. And many experts much more seasoned in football than you and I are saying that his mechanics are not there, that he's not stepping forward on that front foot. And he's not running like he was. I just find it really hard to believe that RGIII is just fine, but the playcallers have just gone so haywire that they are punting the entire 1st and 2nd quarters away every game. His statistics may be good and I'm not saying that he's "bad," but he's also not really "good" either...

I didn't watch any postgame stuff yesterday. Were they talking about his mechanics? It was definitely a discussion against the Eagles and it was obvious, even to our untrained eyes, that he was all over the place. My untrained eyes also saw an improvement yesterday. Maybe not, though?

Man-o-man we are bad! Not one part of our team is clicking,

1) Offense can barely get a first down let alone sustain a drive.

2) Defense, just like last year giving up yards like nobody business.

3) Special teams, can't punt the ball worth a crap or return it.

Several things really stick out to me. Offense has no identity now without the read option. Defense is piss poor, London Flether is a serious non-factor...his name isn't even mentioned once for making a tackle. Secondary is what it is...been there done that. Safety play is weak, out of place and bad angles. Our punting is horrible...either kicked out of bounds or straight line drive. Our return game is just as horrid.

Biggest thing that sticks out, I think we are trying to set the NFL record for most penalties. I'd love it if we could turn this thing around, but there is a lot to turn around before we can HOPE to head in the right direction.

After last season and before this season started every Redskins fan that I knew or saw was talking about RG3 and how great he was. Now that the Redskins lost 2 games, 2 games in which their defense looked god awful, everyone is turning on RG3 and saying they should start Kirk Cousins!?!!? Are you kidding me? RG3 hasn't been terrible in his games, he has been having to play from behind in both games he has played in. The problem starts with the defense, it is terrible.

Rodgers: career high 480 yards

Starks: 132 yards, first 100+ yard rushing game for Green Bay since the last time GB played the Redskins.

The Defense sucks. Plain and simple.

I didn't watch any postgame stuff yesterday. Were they talking about his mechanics? It was definitely a discussion against the Eagles and it was obvious, even to our untrained eyes, that he was all over the place. My untrained eyes also saw an improvement yesterday. Maybe not, though?
Griffin definitely threw the ball with more zip and improved accuracy. From my perspective, Griffin's play yesterday wasn't really the problem to the extent that I thought he generally made the right read and put the ball where it was supposed to go.

The question is whether the offense they are choosing/being forced to run with Robert can really succeed. I'm not sure it would have mattered considering that the defense literally couldn't do anything, but I just don't understand the scheme the offense is running. They're not running the read option, which is fine, I suppose, but they're still sitting in the Pistol. Which gives Robert a crappy pocket if nobody is fully respecting the keeper option. And because of that, it's kind of painfully obvious in third down situations that Robert is going to have to throw short to intermediate routes (which are being covered until the game is out of hand and the defense stops worrying about them).

After last season and before this season started every Redskins fan that I knew or saw was talking about RG3 and how great he was. Now that the Redskins lost 2 games, 2 games in which their defense looked god awful, everyone is turning on RG3 and saying they should start Kirk Cousins!?!!? Are you kidding me? RG3 hasn't been terrible in his games, he has been having to play from behind in both games he has played in. The problem starts with the defense, it is terrible.

Rodgers: career high 480 yards

Starks: 132 yards, first 100+ yard rushing game for Green Bay since the last time GB played the Redskins.

The Defense sucks. Plain and simple.
RGIII was bad against the Eagles in the first half. He was a major reason WHY the Skins were behind. The defense (at least for the MNF game) held up reasonably well considering the hand they were dealt by the Skins offense who couldn't do anything right.

Defensively, what has changed with Washington?

Defensively, what has changed with Washington?
Orakpo is back. Fletcher is a year older and it shows. The secondary is worse, though it remains to be seen if the play of the 2 rookies improves that over the course of the year. More than anything else the pass coverage is killing them. They trail way behind their man, they "hand off" their man to another player who doesn't pick them up. It looks like training camp.

I've really had it with Haslett. Each year we end up desperately hoping his defenses will improve to "medicocre".

I really want to hate RG3, I mean he's a redskin QB and I like the Cowboys!

But he seems like a great guy, and he's gonna be special. I think too much was expected of him this year, just off of knee surgery, no preseason, expecting him to be RG3 out of the gate is too much. The good news for you is:

1) his future is bright if he stays healthy

2) the entire division is mired in crapiness so far, so if he and the offense work themselves into a rhythm there's still plenty of time.

Actually, I do think he is getting better. It's just going to take time.

Actually, I do think he is getting better. It's just going to take time.
most people who have gone through this said it takes a while to trust the knee

Adrian Peterson just ruined knee injuries for everyone, now we expect career years right away.

Users who are viewing this thread