What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donald Butler (1 Viewer)

He was ranked high teens before the season started. Not sure he's going to end up much higher than that, there's a lot of talent in front of him in the rankings.

jsharlan said:
Guy is a total beast.
The guy played the Texans who run as much or more than anyone in the league. As an ILB he should have had a great game against them, and should duplicate that this week against the Eagles ... he is good, but I can only call him a "beast" when he stays healthy for a full season.

Last couple years he was not been a 3 down LB and dealing with staying healthy, now he is healthy and playing as a 3 down backer. I am a homer but mark it down he will finish as a top 5 LB if he can stay healthy, a big if but I think this is the year he lives up to the expectations!!

Anything to see from Bront Bird? He had 10 solo tackles but played 59 of 76 defensive snaps.

therokie0070 said:
Last couple years he was not been a 3 down LB and dealing with staying healthy, now he is healthy and playing as a 3 down backer. I am a homer but mark it down he will finish as a top 5 LB if he can stay healthy, a big if but I think this is the year he lives up to the expectations!!
He was a 3 down LB last year but failed to stay healthy. Jene has been big on him since his 80 solos in his 2 down role. He's always been health away from being a top 15 fantasy option. I've owned him since his rookie yeat and have always been big on him- it's all about staying on the field.

Anything to see from Bront Bird? He had 10 solo tackles but played 59 of 76 defensive snaps.
He's my sneaky IDP player of the week that I was able to wait and get off FCFS waivers and not give up extra waiver position. Plays the Eagles so a chance for a lot of snaps. Played in nickel packages though came off the field in dime. From what I recall of the Eagles usage it seemed to me that a defense would likely go out in nickel and stay that way much of the time for lack of having time to substitute.

Going with Bird in both leagues. In one of the leagues I already had Butler to go with him.

Just seems like one of those guys who always has an excuse. We'll see, I have my doubts. He does play for a horrible team that's only getting worse so he has that going for him.

Dropped Sean Lee for him. Lets go Donald.
The Chachinator has Sean Lee as a top 5 LB.
I love Lee myself, but at least for this week, I want Butler. I should be able to pick Lee back up next week, and might do that if he has a good game this week.
Same situation. Same thinking as well.

Will probably grab any/every MLB (if available) when playing the Eagles. I have Butler ranked in my top 3 LB for this week.

Is Butler going to be good long-term? I also have Lee, but hate to drop him for one week since being in a 12-team league, it will be difficult to pick him back up. Does anyone think Lee's production will be less this year due to the new style of defense Dallas runs? I read somewhere that it will give more tackles to Bruce Carter instead of Lee.

Butler should be a great IDP selection this week though.

Is Butler going to be good long-term? I also have Lee, but hate to drop him for one week since being in a 12-team league, it will be difficult to pick him back up. Does anyone think Lee's production will be less this year due to the new style of defense Dallas runs? I read somewhere that it will give more tackles to Bruce Carter instead of Lee.

Butler should be a great IDP selection this week though.
Is Butler going to be good long-term? That question is difficult to answer. The FBGuys staff have been huge on him since his rookie (2nd year in the league due to his injury) year. He was a borderline top 10 dynasty LB coming into last year, as the consensus FBGuys rankings had him somewhere between 12-15.

I'm a big of fan of this guy as anyone, having watched him play at University of Washington and I can say that he has all the talent and all the trust of the organization, it's just a matter of being healthy and staying on the field. That being said, Lee is still considered a top 5-10 LB *that is also injury prone* dating back to his days at PSU. To me, if you can justify to yourself why you believe one guy is better than the other then it doesn't matter what anyone else says.

Edit: Was watching ESPN while typing and I typed 'Manziel' instead of 'answer' in the sentence: "That question is difficult to answer."

Last edited by a moderator:
How many years does a guy need to produce at LBer? This guy just doesn't have it. Wait for a big game and sell him. I got tired of him putting up nothing games last year and was glad to get rid of him.

He's my sneaky IDP player of the week that I was able to wait and get off FCFS waivers and not give up extra waiver position. Plays the Eagles so a chance for a lot of snaps. Played in nickel packages though came off the field in dime. From what I recall of the Eagles usage it seemed to me that a defense would likely go out in nickel and stay that way much of the time for lack of having time to substitute.

Going with Bird in both leagues. In one of the leagues I already had Butler to go with him.
Well. That sure didn't work. 1 tackle.

Butler probable on injury report. Anyone think he could have a strong finish? He was dropped in a couple of my redraft leagues.

I went and got him. I compared his stats the last 2 years in our league and the way we score (2pts per tackle 4 per sack 1 per deflection) he should be a 5 tackle .5 sack 1 deflection average guy so in our league 13pt average I out him as a lb3 and if he proves 100% healthy lb2 the rest of the year ( a sleeper in keeper leagues he's only 25)

Nice week -- looks like he's worth the add. Just added Wagner back whos had a few nice weeks.

Gonna grab Worrilow or Butler. Some great adds at LB right now.

I avoid this guy like the plague. He's the epitome of inconsistancy. Has been for a while. Maybe he becomes a solid producer, but if so I guess I'll just miss the boat on this one.

I have him for depth and as a matchup play.

On the bench this week (MIA) but I'll start him vs. KC and DEN again.

Chargers | Donald Butler terms
Mon, 03 Mar 2014 07:53:32 -0800

Updating a previous report, San Diego Chargers LB Donald Butler has a multi-tiered deal with the team. The first three years of the deal are worth just under $20 million. The team has an option for four more years worth $8-$9.5 million per season. Butler will earn just under $12 million in 2014 and $15 million over the next two years. If team picks up the option, he's guaranteed just under $15 million in the first year of the option years.

Wow. Seems like a lot of money for him to me. They must really like what he has been doing.

so I guess Manti won't be starting for yrs
I don't think that is accurate. Te'o was starting even after Butler came back in week 10. Butler was basically playing 100 % of the snaps after he came back from injury, but Te'o was still starting. He started every game he played last season. Te'o played 70 % of the snaps in week 10-17 and his tackle frequency for the season was 12,1 % which is a little bit under Butler at 12,5 % but above players like Daryl Smith, Alec Ogletree, Karlos Dansby and Chad Greenway. So even though he is being talked about as a soft tackler his production was fine and I felt that he improved quite a bit over the course of the season. At first he seemed a bit lost, which was more or less expected since he missed time in preseason and early in the season due to injury, but to me he seemed to come better into his role in the latter part of the season. He seemed to be reacting more and thinking less, playing with more confidence. With his coverage skills he has every down potential so I like to buy him as an LB4/LB5 on my teams with little expectations for immediate volume but as an adequate bye week filler with long term upside. I like his football IQ, leadership skills and apparent passion for the game. From what I saw of him pre-draft in training settings he seems very coachable.

The most disappointing part for me about his rookie season was the lack of big play ability. He had 6 TFLs but zero INTs and sacks. I was expecting more production out of his zone coverage skills, making plays on the ball. And I guess the big question is if his football IQ and passion can make up for what he lacks in NFL-level speed, strength and overall athleticism.

Users who are viewing this thread