What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Current playoff standings (1 Viewer)

jurb26

Footballguy
Here are the current playoff standings if the season ended today. What do you see changing, if anything?

NFC

1 Seattle

2 New Orleans

3 Green Bay

4 Dallas

5 San Francisco

6 Detroit

I actually think the NFC has a very good chance of ending this way. The only potential change that I could see as likely would be Car passing up Det for the final WC. otherwise, I think this is pretty solid.

AFC

1 Kansas City

2 Cincinnati

3 Indianapolis

4 New England

5 Denver

6 San Diego

The AFC could have a ton of turnover before the season ends IMO. Obviously at the top KC and Den could trade places. Really I could see all of the division winners being shuffled around between 1 and 4. Like the NFC though, it seems pretty solid as to who will get in. I think the final spot could be the only thing we see change in the AFC as well. SD has to get by KC and Den 4 times still and that could open the door for NYJ (did I really just say that?), Mia or a few others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree with you in the NFC... Could easily be NO with the 1 seed or even SF - They get SEA at home later in the year.

I think there is a good chance another team from the AFC East sneaking in. Could see Carolina making noise. Denver should overtake KC.

Disagree with you in the NFC... Could easily be NO with the 1 seed or even SF - They get SEA at home later in the year.
There are three upcoming games that will decide the fate of the current NFC standings:

- SF @ NO (week 11)

- NO @ SEA (week 12)

- SEA @ SF (week 13)

The scenario that keeps the above (and seems the likeliest) is that the home team wins each game.

There are three upcoming games that will decide the fate of the current NFC standings:

- SF @ NO (week 11)

- NO @ SEA (week 12)

- SEA @ SF (week 13)

The scenario that keeps the above (and seems the likeliest) is that the home team wins each game.
This also assumes that these teams all win out besides losing the away games listed here.

fantasycurse42 said:

- SF @ NO (week 11)

- NO @ SEA (week 12)

- SEA @ SF (week 13)

This also assumes that these teams all win out besides losing the away games listed here.
Sure. And to be the top seeds that is what you would expect. I haven't reviewed the schedules of each team but I think it is *possible* the Seahawks go 14-2 this year (technically it is possible they go 15-1 but I'm anticipating splitting with SF). This is their remaining schedule:

@ STL

vs. TB

@ ATL

vs. MIN

vs. NO

@ SF

@ NYG

vs. ARI

vs. STL

I suspect Seattle will win the upcoming Monday game if for any reason because they will not have enough practice with a new QB. I will also make the immediate assumption they win their home games (the Saints will be tough but I think we win and I've heard NO doesn't play well on the left coast). I think there is little reason to believe the Giants will win. This puts SEA at 13 wins with the only concerns being an early away game in Atlanta and the away game in San Francisco.

fantasycurse42 said:

- SF @ NO (week 11)

- NO @ SEA (week 12)

- SEA @ SF (week 13)

Sure. And to be the top seeds that is what you would expect. I haven't reviewed the schedules of each team but I think it is *possible* the Seahawks go 14-2 this year (technically it is possible they go 15-1 but I'm anticipating splitting with SF). This is their remaining schedule:

@ STL

vs. TB

@ ATL

vs. MIN

vs. NO

@ SF

@ NYG

vs. ARI

vs. STL

I suspect Seattle will win the upcoming Monday game if for any reason because they will not have enough practice with a new QB. I will also make the immediate assumption they win their home games (the Saints will be tough but I think we win and I've heard NO doesn't play well on the left coast). I think there is little reason to believe the Giants will win. This puts SEA at 13 wins with the only concerns being an early away game in Atlanta and the away game in San Francisco.
SF beat them at home last year and then got clobbered in Sea - I can see that situation repeating itself. They are 6-1 right now, which is a long ways off from 15-1 or 14-2. While I expect all of these teams to play well, anything can happen in the NFL and I think it is a little early for anything but speculation. I think by week 14 we will have a pretty firm grip on this picture.

If Sea or NO does end up with home-field, I think it will be nearly impossible for any team to go in there and leave with a W.

keep an eye on 3-4 TEN...

coming out of the bye...

at STL

JAX

IND

at OK

at IND

at DEN

AZ

at JAX

HOU

could be looking at 9-7 and if they steal one from IND...10-6

coming out of the bye...

at STL

JAX

IND

at OK

at IND

at DEN

AZ

at JAX

HOU

They looked absolutely awful last week - It was 24-0 going into the 4th quarter.
true...but they won't be playing SF every week... and with a couple of weeks to circle the wagons...I see 6 games they could easily win and stealing another along the line puts them in the mix.....the game against IND at home before the 3 game road trip will probably tell us a little....

probably favored in all but 3 of these games....

coming out of the bye...

at STL

JAX

IND

at OK

at IND

at DEN

AZ

at JAX

HOU

They looked absolutely awful last week - It was 24-0 going into the 4th quarter.
true...but they won't be playing SF every week... and with a couple of weeks to circle the wagons...I see 6 games they could easily win and stealing another along the line puts them in the mix.....the game against IND at home before the 3 game road trip will probably tell us a little....

They desperately need to beat Indy at home and they have a shot - SD has a brutal schedule.

I think the final spot could be the only thing we see change in the AFC as well. SD has to get by KC and Den 4 times still and that could open the door for NYJ (did I really just say that?), Mia or a few others.
On schedule alone it's going to be tough for the Chargers to make the playoffs.

I think the Ravens get the last spot.

Hopefully the NFL will soon realize that their seeding structure is a joke. Den having to play out of a 5 slot is embarrassing.

Here are the current playoff standings if the season ended today. What do you see changing, if anything?

NFC

1 Seattle

2 New Orleans

3 Green Bay

4 Dallas

5 San Francisco

6 Detroit
Detroit up to #3 seed as they win the North. Wouldn't surprise me to see them go undefeated the rest of the way. Not saying it will happen, but it wouldn't be shocking. I was going to say Carolina squeezes in as the 6 seed over Green Bay; but their schedule isn't favorable.

AFC

1 Kansas City

2 Cincinnati

3 Indianapolis

4 New England

5 Denver

6 San Diego
Chargers lose 5 more games. Jets take the 6 seed.

Indy moves up to the #1, Denver takes #2.

coming out of the bye...

at STL

JAX

IND

at OK

at IND

at DEN

AZ

at JAX

HOU

I think the Titans have a shot, but the JETS just have a better schedule. and a better defense.

I'll call it now, if the Chiefs and Jets are WC teams, both win round 1.

Hopefully the NFL will soon realize that their seeding structure is a joke. Den having to play out of a 5 slot is embarrassing.
What exactly do you propose they do?
Seed based on record and ignore these silly divisions they have.
I hate this idea. You break old deep seeded rivalries in place since before you or I were born. Divisional rivalries are the greatest thing this fantasy driven sport still has anymore. Last bastion of truth.

I hate this idea. You break old deep seeded rivalries in place since before you or I were born. Divisional rivalries are the greatest thing this fantasy driven sport still has anymore. Last bastion of truth.
There has to be a middle ground then. Bellow .500 or even .500 teams getting in and getting home playoff games vs. teams with 10 or more wins is an abomination.

Keep the divisions. Just seed according to record.

SD blew it this year, letting Houston & Tennesse off the hook. Now the schedule gets really tough in the division.

Would be sweet if SD,KC & Den all made it

NFC

1 Seattle

2 New Orleans

3 Green Bay

4 Dallas

5 San Francisco

6 Detroit

I actually think the NFC has a very good chance of ending this way. The only potential change that I could see as likely would be Car passing up Det for the final WC. otherwise, I think this is pretty solid.

AFC

1 Kansas City

2 Cincinnati

3 Indianapolis

4 New England

5 Denver

6 San Diego

The AFC could have a ton of turnover before the season ends IMO. Obviously at the top KC and Den could trade places. Really I could see all of the division winners being shuffled around between 1 and 4. Like the NFC though, it seems pretty solid as to who will get in. I think the final spot could be the only thing we see change in the AFC as well. SD has to get by KC and Den 4 times still and that could open the door for NYJ (did I really just say that?), Mia or a few others.
Quick note: Seattle & NO are basically tied, Seattle has one more game played because they haven't had their bye yet.

This is looking like 2009 when the Saints and Vikes kept pushing each other to win every week until someone budged.

The Saints game in Seattle is looking like it will be for homefield advantage (unfortunately...).

I don't see Dallas as having a lock on the NFCE slot; the Giants could take it at 7-9 or 8-8. I'd predict the Eagles if it weren't for their, er, QB problems. The Giants start 0-6 and they're 2 games out of 1st place.

That No. 6 slot for the AFC wild card is going to indeed be wild. Mia, Cle, Oak, SD, Ten, NYJ, are all in the running.

Seeing a Manning-v-Brady matchup in the opening round seems odd but if that's what it takes to ship NE packing early I'm okay with that.

What's the point of having divisions then?

Some people think a division championship means something. And it keeps rivalries intact.

NFC

1 Seattle

2 New Orleans

3 Green Bay

4 Dallas

5 San Francisco

6 Detroit
Detroit up to #3 seed as they win the North. Wouldn't surprise me to see them go undefeated the rest of the way. Not saying it will happen, but it wouldn't be shocking. I was going to say Carolina squeezes in as the 6 seed over Green Bay; but their schedule isn't favorable.

AFC1 Kansas City

2 Cincinnati3 Indianapolis

4 New England5 Denver

6 San Diego
Chargers lose 5 more games. Jets take the 6 seed.

Indy moves up to the #1, Denver takes #2.
Detroit undefeated? I see 3 losses on their schedule

They are a game behind GB. I see GB losing one maybe once to Dallas. So that means Detroit has to beat them. GB is not fully healthy and they look unstoppable. Megaton won't score 300 yards every week...

Seattle

GB

No

Dal

Sf

Car

Detroit might not even make the playoffs. I see Carolina taking their spot

As far as the afc, I don't see denver not taking the #1. Ten or Baltimore takes the last slot

Den

Ind

Cin

Kc

Ne

Ten

Some people think a division championship means something. And it keeps rivalries intact.
No, you have the cause and effect flipped. Rivalries exist because the games mean more in terms of guaranteeing a home playoff game, in terms of tie-breakers, and terms of not getting jobbed out of a playoff berth over some silly SOS or points scored tiebreaker. Rivalry week brings out the hatfield v mccoy venom in the stands and on the field. Without a clear carrot of at least a first home game in the playoffs, the rivalry becomes pointless and all that goes with it is lost. The game's already been bastardized enough with too many commercials, too many long booth reviews, red flag challenges, etc. You lose divisional rivalries and you might as well lose the conferences as well. You might as well pick all star teams in a fantasy draft for the Pro Bowl.

I'll just go ahead and be the one to post this here...

Dallas Cowboys - 4-4, likely will be 5-4 after this week vs the Vikings. They'll likely lose at NO and be 5-5 going into Week 12 against the Giants.

New York Giants - 2-6, coming out of their bye. Can beat Oakland, 3-6. The Packers come to NY, if the Giants can steal a game here they're 4-6. With Dallas coming to town in Week 12.

Obviously, it's still a long shot... but just saying, it's far from impossible.

Dallas vs NY Week 12, if the Giants win all of a sudden it's a tie a top the division at 5-6. If the division gets to a tie all of a sudden this division is up in the air. Giants CLEARLY have a harder road after the Cowboys game in having to play SD, SEA, DET. But while it sounds crazy, we've seen this before. The Giants start clicking down a few games in the division with 5 games to play. And win out and the Cowboys choke and the Giants end up squeaking into the playoffs.

Just saying, there's probably a greater than 50/50 shot that Dallas comes to New York with the prospects of a tied division on the table.

Right now in the NFC it's looking:

1. Seattle - SF game doesn't matter; I think I might have preferred a Seattle win because that would have given the Cards a chance to catch the 9ers.

2. NO - Not catching up to Seattle

3. Philly - this could be a dangerous team in the playoffs, I could see them playing in NO in a shootout

4. GB/DET/CHI - take your pick, maybe Rodgers does some damage

5. CAR - well what can you say, they are what they are

6. SF/AZ - pulling for ARI to make it but they have a game left in Seattle, so this may not happen

The question of who can beat Seattle in Seattle (I mean besides the answer "nobody") must come down to San Fran, Arizona or Carolina, if only becuase they can play their game, and even then Seattle can move to a high powered passing attack when they want.

AFC:

1. Denver

2. NE

3. Cincy

4. Indy

5. KC

6. Baltimore - these guys are getting dangerous again, I could see them moving into the divisional round.

Left out: Miami - actually I don't know they will fail to beat out Baltimore, someone really needs to hand it to them for sticking together. Heck maybe Philbin sticks around.

Teams that can beat Denver in Denver - pretty much New England and we have to add Baltimore just because they have actually done it (though with a better defense).

Teams that can beat Denver in Denver - pretty much New England and we have to add Baltimore just because they have actually done it (though with a better defense).
Cinci can beat Den in Den. Also, Indy beat Den once this year already... Granted in Indy. It's not out of the question for them to do it in Den IMO.

Cinci can beat Den in Den. Also, Indy beat Den once this year already... Granted in Indy. It's not out of the question for them to do it in Den IMO.
I wrote off Indy because of their recent slump, the fact they are a dome team, and that last time vs next time there would be no Wayne.

Cincy - well they can score, and they have a very good defense. Would love to see them and their fans make it to NJ.

It is just amazing that one of these teams will be hosting a 12-4/11-5 SF/Car team.
Don't you just love the NFL playoff seeding?
How do you fix it? Division winners get a home playoff game... Do you put an asterisk that states assuming better record?
Division winners are guaranteed playoff spots, better record hosts the game. That way winning your division is still meaningful (you get a guaranteed trip to the playoffs, even if you're the 7-9 Seahawks, and only division winners have a chance at a 1st-round bye), but the team that generally had the better season gets rewarded with the home cooking.

Hell, I'd be in favor of guaranteeing playoff spots for all division winners, but just seeding from 1-6 based on record. If two teams both go 15-1, they should both get a 1st-round bye, even if they happened to play in the same division. Reminds me of 1997 when the 12-4 Denver Broncos played on wildcard weekend while the 11-5 Pittsburgh Steelers enjoyed their bye.

Right now in the NFC it's looking:4. GB/DET/CHI - take your pick, maybe Rodgers does some damage
It is just amazing that one of these teams will be hosting a 12-4/11-5 SF/Car team.
How do you fix it? Division winners get a home playoff game... Do you put an asterisk that states assuming better record?
I personally don't think division winners should get an automatic bid. If a team goes 8-8 and wins their division, sorry but I'm not impressed. Not when other teams who are 9-7 or 10-6 are left out. To me the top 6 teams from each conference should get in. Top 2 get bye, everyone else is WC. Many disagree and feel that division rivalry will be compromised in that situation though. To reach a balance I think you simply award division winners a WC spot but seed them on record from there.

I think the top 2 divisions winners should get the byes, and then seed 3-6 based on record using the appropriate tiebreakers.

I personally don't think division winners should get an automatic bid. If a team goes 8-8 and wins their division, sorry but I'm not impressed. Not when other teams who are 9-7 or 10-6 are left out. To me the top 6 teams from each conference should get in. Top 2 get bye, everyone else is WC.
Many disagree and feel that division rivalry will be compromised in that situation though. To reach a balance I think you simply award division winners a WC spot but seed them on record from there.
Division winners are guaranteed playoff spots, better record hosts the game. That way winning your division is still meaningful (you get a guaranteed trip to the playoffs, even if you're the 7-9 Seahawks, and only division winners have a chance at a 1st-round bye), but the team that generally had the better season gets rewarded with the home cooking.

Hell, I'd be in favor of guaranteeing playoff spots for all division winners, but just seeding from 1-6 based on record. If two teams both go 15-1, they should both get a 1st-round bye, even if they happened to play in the same division. Reminds me of 1997 when the 12-4 Denver Broncos played on wildcard weekend while the 11-5 Pittsburgh Steelers enjoyed their bye.
This def makes sense...

Right now in the NFC it's looking:4. GB/DET/CHI - take your pick, maybe Rodgers does some damage
I personally don't think division winners should get an automatic bid. If a team goes 8-8 and wins their division, sorry but I'm not impressed. Not when other teams who are 9-7 or 10-6 are left out. To me the top 6 teams from each conference should get in. Top 2 get bye, everyone else is WC.Many disagree and feel that division rivalry will be compromised in that situation though. To reach a balance I think you simply award division winners a WC spot but seed them on record from there.
there really isn't that much difference between 8-8 and 9-7 or even 10-6 for that matter......especially if the 8-8 team played a first place schedule and the 9-7 or 10-6 played a last place schedule and got to beat up on the Jags and another doormat or something.....

1. Seattle - SF game doesn't matter; I think I might have preferred a Seattle win because that would have given the Cards a chance to catch the 9ers.

2. NO - Not catching up to Seattle

3. Philly - this could be a dangerous team in the playoffs, I could see them playing in NO in a shootout

5. CAR - well what can you say, they are what they are

6. SF/AZ - pulling for ARI to make it but they have a game left in Seattle, so this may not happen

The question of who can beat Seattle in Seattle (I mean besides the answer "nobody") must come down to San Fran, Arizona or Carolina, if only becuase they can play their game, and even then Seattle can move to a high powered passing attack when they want.

AFC:

1. Denver

2. NE

3. Cincy

4. Indy

5. KC

6. Baltimore - these guys are getting dangerous again, I could see them moving into the divisional round.

Left out: Miami - actually I don't know they will fail to beat out Baltimore, someone really needs to hand it to them for sticking together. Heck maybe Philbin sticks around.

I don't want to jinx it, but after SF's win yesterday I'd say Carolina is in more danger than SF. Actually, both teams are almost certain to take the 2 wildcard spots, but Arizona really shouldn't be able to catch SF now. SF has a 1.5 game lead on them with 3 to play (SF owns tiebreaker, even if Ari beats them in Week 17), and Arizona still plays Seattle in Seattle.

What is up for grabs though is the #5 seed, which SF has a shot at taking from Carolina after their loss to the Saints last night.

Users who are viewing this thread