What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (1 Viewer)

Drew Brees completed 27-of-37 passes for 291 yards and one touchdown in the Saints' 29-19, Week 1 loss to the Vikings on Monday night.

The Saints didn't score their lone offensive touchdown until their last possession of the night. They entered the red zone four different times before that, but had to settle for a number of short Wil Lutz field goals. Brees only had 71 yards passing at halftime and was pressured quite a bit by a dominat Vikings defensive line. He's also playing with two backup tackles after RT Zach Strief (knee) was hurt in the first half. Brees and the Saints will head home to host the Patriots in Week 2. It has the makings of a massive shootout. Alex Smith tore up the Patriots for 368 yards and four TDs in Week 1.

Saints have definitely transitioned to more of a run first and a short passing team. Kamara gets a ton of screens now.  That being said, they did call some plays close to the goal line where Brees had a chance to throw a TD but the play didn't work out.  With them running so well it definitely limits his upside.  I am just glad he was able to run one in. 

skillz said:
Saints have definitely transitioned to more of a run first and a short passing team. Kamara gets a ton of screens now.  That being said, they did call some plays close to the goal line where Brees had a chance to throw a TD but the play didn't work out.  With them running so well it definitely limits his upside.  I am just glad he was able to run one in. 
So, will teams start to stack the box against Ingram, allowing Brees to really open up that passing game?

In an interview with XTRA 1360 AM, Drew Brees said he plans to remain with the Saints beyond the 2017 season.

This comes on the heels of an NFL Network report that the Saints are "uncertain" of Brees' future in New Orleans. "I feel like we’ve got a great opportunity ahead of us and I don’t plan on leaving New Orleans ever," he said. Brees is in the last year of his contract and admitted he has not "approached" the team about a new deal. Though some in the organization feel Brees has lost a step, the 38-year-old still leads the league in completion percentage and is fourth in quarterback rating behind only Alex Smith, Tom Brady and Carson Wentz.

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

Nov 14 - 1:19 PM

If you have Wentz I figure I have to start Wentz......right? :unsure:
Ha, yeah, if I had Wentz I'd be starting him. I play in local leagues annnnd... I finally got Brees. It's been tough. Brees has been great... on the field, he looks like he always does, but the TD opportunities are not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, yeah, if I had Wentz I'd be starting him. I play in local leagues annnnd... I finally got Brees. It's been tough. Brees has been great... on the field, he looks like he always does, but the TD opportunities are not there.
I was psyched to get him and feel guilty putting my highly drafted QB on the bench thinking he has to break out but it hasn’t come. I love he’s in a dome all playoffs too, but don’t think I’d have the stones to do it after all the weeks I started him and Wentz put up 10 plus more. 

Been "stuck" with him all year across many leagues...he's not his old self due to the running game but it flashes, he looks normal. He's my playoff QB across 4 leagues...he'll either drag me down or bring me to the promised land I guess. Hoping for the best. In one league I'll possibly start Cam over him next week, but I have a bye so its not something I have to worry about right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
My other option is Big Ben against BAL who is #1 against QB's the last 10 weeks.  I will stick with Brees and hope he can air it out tonight.

A couple contradictory snips from RW's Hribar article:

[Brees:] at this point, we can’t bank on positive touchdown regression setting in, but his floor is stable, while Atlanta has allowed a QB1 in five of their past seven games
[Thomas:] like Brees, he’s had a high floor with few ceiling moments and the Falcons have limited opposing lead receivers, allowing just four WR1 scoring weeks to lead wideouts on the season and none since Week 6

My other option is Big Ben against BAL who is #1 against QB's the last 10 weeks.  I will stick with Brees and hope he can air it out tonight.
I have the same options.  Yes.....I'm going with.......Roth.....no.......Brees!! 

I guess Brees it is. Fingers crossed.

Almost halftime...... no Td’s and not much time of possession. Brees this year has been painful fantasy wise to watch. Here’s hoping for a big turnaround the rest of the game.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Drew Brees is drawing interest outside New Orleans.

Before you say "duh," the significance of the report is that other teams are entertaining the possibility that Brees might actually get away from New Orleans. They wouldn't waste their time if Brees re-signing with the Saints was 100 percent inevitable. It's been all quiet on the contract front between Brees and the franchise he put on the NFL map.

Source: Marc Sessler on Twitter 

Mar 12 - 3:13 PM

Brees was at Zach Strief's retirement ceremony about and hour ago and "politely refused" to address his contract status. Which might just mean he does not want to take attention away from Strief on his day, but more fuel to fire this may not be a lock.

Brees was at Zach Strief's retirement ceremony about and hour ago and "politely refused" to address his contract status. Which might just mean he does not want to take attention away from Strief on his day, but more fuel to fire this may not be a lock.
i think it's just Brees negotiating style. he's no pushover despite the nice guy chatter from him. he has a number in his head and he's sticking to it.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Vikings have "reached out" to free agent Drew Brees.

Brees' situation is becoming more fluid. There's been almost zero belief he could actually leave New Orleans, but we are less than 48 hours from the start of free agency and there's seemingly been zero movement in talks. It makes all the sense in the world for Brees to at least feign interest in other teams as he negotiates with the Saints. It also makes sense for the Vikings, who could be trying to leverage Kirk Cousins.

Related: Vikings

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 12 - 4:15 PM

The Vikings talk was absolutely nothing. A phone call to Tom Condon's office <> Drew Brees even giving slight consideration to leaving. And the Saints never, ever gave consideration to lowballing Brees.

saintfool said:
i think it's just Brees negotiating style. he's no pushover despite the nice guy chatter from him. he has a number in his head and he's sticking to it.
Agreed -- and the Saints have know that number since December, and have not tried to move Brees off of it.

link

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Drew Brees’ deal will be written as a two-year deal, but in actuality it will be a one-year deal with a team option after the first year, per source. It also will include a no-trade clause, virtually ensuring that Brees finishes his career in New Orleans.

8:57 AM - Mar 13, 2018

About what I expected from front office. $25m is very fair price for his services. I would have liked to seen a 3rd year option but this is the business. 

About what I expected from front office. $25m is very fair price for his services. I would have liked to seen a 3rd year option but this is the business. 
Fair?  He is worth I’m guessing double that price on the open market. Brees agreed to a hometown discount team friendly deal. 

Fair?  He is worth I’m guessing double that price on the open market. Brees agreed to a hometown discount team friendly deal. 
I understand that you're exaggerating, but come on.  He's the 5th highest paid player in the game right now.  Maybe he would have gotten the same ~28m/yr that Cousins just did, but he got 25m/yr.  Slight hometown discount, but I assume he wanted to finish his career in New Orleans. 

Users who are viewing this thread